• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forum Event: Hack Chat

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
Years

Hack Chat

Taking some inspiration from a previous project of mine: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=255608

I feel like the podcast was ahead of its time and we now in a ROM Hacking age that is much more modernised and its resources should be too. This podcast will be both improvised and scripted and be mainly in an informal manner. I'm looking for it to contain different times of ROM Hacking chat including but not limited to:
  • Discussion of PokéCommunity Hacks
  • In-depth explanation of ROM Hacking functions (Scripting Commands, Graphical Hacking etc.)
  • Interviews with PokéCommunity ROM Hackers
  • Advice/Tips & Tricks for ROM Hackers
This is what the current cast is looking like:
  • hashtag
  • Lostelle
  • FBI
  • Achromatic
I feel we hit different bases and have a varied cast that ranges from advanced ASM Hacker(s) to someone who just plays hacks for fun. Each episode we will have a different guest ROM Hacker who we will either interview or they can participate in the entire episode. I've yet to decide how frequent the episodes will be, it will definitely depend on available time and how much we are able to talk about.

The podcast will be recorded on Skype and then it will be uploaded onto YouTube so that it can be embedded in a post here and listened to with ease. I will also look into uploading it onto popular podcast website, possibly iTunes.

I feel like this has the potential to be a big success. I believe that it is much easier for someone to listen/watch a tutorial then it is just reading an essay of text, my aim is for the tutorials in the podcast to make learning ROM Hacking much easier and friendlier.

Any questions, suggestions or feedback is completely welcome. I hope you're all as excited for the start of this as I am.

Episode List:

Last edited:

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
I'm all for this idea, I think it will be a great discussion topic. Skype is pretty garbo, I'm willing to share with you my Mumble server to do your podcast recordings. It's what the SMT uses to do the PodCommunity Podcasts about ~once a month. Alternatively, PC has a new Discord channel and I can set you up in a private voice channel to do your records.

Two options, whether you'd like to take them! I just know Skype can be a pain to record with. Mumble gives you the option of recording each individual person's voice to its own audio file which is a godsend IMO. Shoot me a message if you're interested. :)

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
It's a podcast type of thing, not an actual channel to talk on.

I think having a place where you can actively ask your question is better than having peoples voices to listen to (not to mention the low ages around here)
Besides, not everyone wants to speak into a terrible cheap microphone to relay information, that's what the internet is mostly for; to type to one-another ;)

Logan

Years
I'm all for this idea, I think it will be a great discussion topic. Skype is pretty garbo, I'm willing to share with you my Mumble server to do your podcast recordings. It's what the SMT uses to do the PodCommunity Podcasts about ~once a month. Alternatively, PC has a new Discord channel and I can set you up in a private voice channel to do your records.

Two options, whether you'd like to take them! I just know Skype can be a pain to record with. Mumble gives you the option of recording each individual person's voice to its own audio file which is a godsend IMO. Shoot me a message if you're interested. :)
That would be a fantastic help and I appreciate the offer. I will definitely be in touch in the near future about it, just need to finalise a few things with this first then we can move on.

I think having a place where you can actively ask your question is better than having peoples voices to listen to (not to mention the low ages around here)
Besides, not everyone wants to speak into a terrible cheap microphone to relay information, that's what the internet is mostly for; to type to one-another ;)
I appreciate what you're saying and you're right, some people do find it easier asking questions and reading text. However, some people (myself included) don't learn that well from just reading text and prefer a different approach. I see no reason why both mediums cannot work together, this isn't here to eradicate anything else; simply to help enhance our community and have a bit of fun.

I 100% find it easier to communicate verbally than with text as I feel my point can be got across easier. However, I appreciate that you can't please everyone with this kind of thing but I hope I can win you around down the line. This isn't purely for tutorials anyway this is also for having some fun and general discussion/feedback. I hope you give it a chance when we come out with the first episode. Thanks for the feedback.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
Spoiler:

You have my support. I'm down for this idea. Even though I will never speak to someone for my problems, it's always nice to listen to Podcasts about something I actually give a damn about. Go for it.

Years
I like the idea and would gladly listen to podcasts related to romhacking. I also agree with you that there's a lot of subjects that could be covered like scripting, graphics tutorials, but people could also share their thought on the state of rom hacking, how things look in their perspective which I think could provoke great discussion. And I mean bringing up valid points, not something like the latest trolling 'state of romhacking' post(which I don't think was that bad honestly).

It has potential for sure, I just hope there will be enough people willing to participate. Can't wait till episode 1.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I'd much rather a podcast than an IRC chatlog or whatever. Means I can listen to it while doing something else and the interaction between the hosts would be very limited if it were done in text form. I do however think that explanations or tips and tricks are better as written tutorials, I'd like to see the show more focused on discussion of hacks themselves. Will be looking forward to the first episode!

edit: also I'd personally prefer it if you had a smaller number of hosts, say 3 max and you could rotate every now and then. I just think it's easier to follow when you don't have 5 people all trying to get their opinion in on whatever you're talking about. And if you do decide to do it like that 1 or 2 hosts will get to take a break every week and if someone's sick or can't make it for whatever reason the show can go on as normal.

Last edited:

Logan

Years
I like the idea and would gladly listen to podcasts related to romhacking. I also agree with you that there's a lot of subjects that could be covered like scripting, graphics tutorials, but people could also share their thought on the state of rom hacking, how things look in their perspective which I think could provoke great discussion. And I mean bringing up valid points, not something like the latest trolling 'state of romhacking' post(which I don't think was that bad honestly).

It has potential for sure, I just hope there will be enough people willing to participate. Can't wait till episode 1.
Thanks for the feedback, the 'state of ROM Hacking' is definitely something can be discussed and is something I eagerly anticipate chatting about.
I'd much rather a podcast than an IRC chatlog or whatever. Means I can listen to it while doing something else and the interaction between the hosts would be very limited if it were done in text form. I do however think that explanations or tips and tricks are better as written tutorials, I'd like to see the show more focused on discussion of hacks themselves. Will be looking forward to the first episode!

edit: also I'd personally prefer it if you had a smaller number of hosts, say 3 max and you could rotate every now and then. I just think it's easier to follow when you don't have 5 people all trying to get their opinion in on whatever you're talking about. And if you do decide to do it like that 1 or 2 hosts will get to take a break every week and if someone's sick or can't make it for whatever reason the show can go on as normal.
Yep, that's the pros of a podcast; plus if we can get it on iTunes you can download and listen on the go. 'Tutorials' are almost going to be people's perspectives of how they do them so other's can pick up little hints to, hopefully, make their lives easier.

You make an interesting point about rotation of hosts and that is definitely something I will evaluate and look into as it is a valid point. Having a revolving guest every episode (possibly the entire episode or just a stint) will help with staleness in my opinion.

I'm going to have a look at dates tonight so we can set in stone a first episode. Stay tuned guys :). Any suggestions or ideas for topics are welcome!

Last edited:

FSBS

Defunct
Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2019
Dude, totally. I'd love to listen to a hacking podcast, hacking seems so dead though I'm not sure how much mileage you could get out of it.

Logan

Years
Update: We have recorded the first episode! Unfortunately Achromatic was unavailable to chat with us, but I hope the three of us were entertaining enough. Hopefully we'll have something to show you very very soon. :)

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I apologize for potentially hurting a lot of people's feelings and ranting. I can see the flood of comments now, "Remove FBI from the podcast group, he's a douchebag", "I liked the podcast but FBI was out of line", "Is there a way to mute only FBI?", "I think we should get darkrisinggirl to replace FBI", ect...

To that I say :^)

Overall, it was a fun podcast. I had no idea what I was saying for half of it, but I'd like to make one thing about my comments on DS hacking more clear. Particularly, I don't mean that you don't need tools or you shouldn't use tools for ROM hacking in general. I was saying that the absence of tools (besides an emulator) doesn't make the games unhackable for the average joe. I do think that the presence of an established good map editor for these games would greatly boost it's hacking population.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
Looking forward to hearing this.

How will you guys be choosing what topic to talk about for each recording?

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Episode 1 of the Hack Chat Podcast is live!
Click here to listen to it. Be sure to leave a like!
Join us for the first episode of Hack Chat, PokéCommunity's ROM Hacking Podcast! This episode we're joined by hashtag, FBI and Lostelle. They talk about various aspects of the ROM Hacking community and give us an insider look at their latest projects.

I've fixed your post there Ben. You forgot to add color to my name, much like our favourite Gaia creator. I'm looking forward to watching the next episode.

Btw, we were going to do a tips section too. Well, we did, but it seems to be lost in editing. shhh, let that be the reason.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I watched a little bit of the video from here and there since I had no plans to sit in front of a computer for 30 minutes just listening, what you guys have to talk about. Parts of it might have been interesting though but I had no idea what the podcast was about.
Could you include some info in the description of the video of the topics you discuss unless you jump from one topic to another almost all the time? Along with this, it would be good to mention the moments (in time) when you move from one topic to another. That way, anyone watching the video wouldn't have to watch the video just to hear what kind of stuff is covered in it.

Back