• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Long term hackers: What keeps you going?

marcc5m

what
Years
Hey. I used to be very active around the ROM hacking section a few years ago.

One problem I kept running into however was that though I had a good understanding and vision of how to hack and what I wanted to do, I was unable to stick to a project. I would start something, make a good bit of progress, then leave it in the dust and move on to something else.

Since then, many times have I attempted to revisit ROM hacking, and each time I have found myself bored before long.

This, based on what I have seen, appears to be the case for many hackers. A lot of seemingly interesting projects end up being dropped before long, and the hacker either moves on to another project (which also ends after a bit), or just disappears entirely. Looking at some of the complete hacks, the developer(s) has/have been working for years. One only needs to look at Prism, which after about 10ish years, is now just being completed. That's a long time to devote to a Pokemon hack.

So, those who have stuck with ROM hacking for a long period of time: What keeps you interested? What fuels you to continue hacking?

I've been hacking since late-2005/early-2006. I will have my 11 year anniversary on PC in February. I like Pokemon and am disappointed with the quality of games that Game Freak is giving us. They're good, don't get me wrong, but I feel like they could give us much better. For the past 7ish years, my motivation to hack is so that I can make a perfect Pokemon game for me. Pokemon hacking also sparked my interest in Computer Science as a field of study and eventually a career path, so I owe a lot to this community. Also, I figure Comp Sci people will be among the last people to have their jobs automated away, so I hope that the proper safety nets for the mass-unemployment to come are in place by the time an AI takes my job. I also stick around because I have a lot of pride in how well I can do most of the aspects of hacking (as silly as that sounds), and enjoy contributing to the community when I can.

So, my main hack that I've been working on for about 7 years is about making the perfect game for me, and it is going really well. I'll release it when it's finished. I have two sideprojects that I started to get a better handle on ASM and C as well as fix a childhood disappointment with the franchise. After I've finished with those projects (which will be a couple more years, I'm sure), I will probably pass down what I know and move on from the scene.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I take really long breaks, like a year+ breaks when I'm not feeling it. I always come back to the same hack though. Can't bring myself to start anew after all the time I've spent on it.

Back