• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Pokemon Battle Network Flame & Grass Edition",need some help for developement

Status
Not open for further replies.

MegamanDX

Pokemon/Megaman fan
Years
Hi everyone...Im sort of new here but I have been signed up on here for a while...Why im posting here is for your help on a idea I had a few years ago on changing Pokemon to be more fun while competitive at the same time so that everyone can enjoy...

That game I want to make is the fan made game Pokemon/Megaman Battle Network crossover, fully featured computer game called "Pokemon Battle Network Flame Edition" and "Pokemon Battle Network Grass Edition"...The gameplay will be Pokemon style RPG game play with the battle system,the battle system is a Turn-Based,Real time Action Tactical RPG;the battle system from Megaman Battle Network but more focused on the "Turn" aspect of Pokemon Battles like on this battle system,what I mean is that when you use a item,you will have to go a "turn"without PokemonChips or BattleChips with Pokemon attacks enbeded in them..

There's alot about PKMN BN that will be much different then the Pokemon or Megaman Battle Network games like easy to understand game mechanics,menus(the player can change how he or she would like the menus to look,Terms used...

...and also changes from this battle system is a redesigned, remade,redone...Like in "Custom Phase"(the phase in the turn for choosing attacks and planing your strategies agents your opponents)the PokemonChips will not show up like in that video I showed in the link but...will actually the PokemonChips and not squares with mini graphics and you also below the random PokemonChips that show from your BattleFolder you will get the options like you would find in a Pokemon Battle like "Item"on the bottom right "Run" middle bottom and "Pokemon" if you would like to chose a different Pokemon but the Pokemon thats all ready out will have to fight without PokemonChips for a turn before it can be switched out with another one...

Also,If you have played Megaman Battle Network before,you have noticed that you can control how Megaman battles on the battle system...This time,it will be Pokemon your can freely control how they battle,evade,use items,attacks ect...Since I always felt that since Pokemon Trainers and Pokemon are suppose to work together,it would be like you are the Pokemon Trainer instead of the game saying that its the Pokemon Trainer.....

And I also talk about the story..The story is not based on the story from Pokemon or Megaman but based off of real life events and story's...ill exp lane it: At the start of the game,you will get to chose to be a boy 15 year old kid or a girl 15 year old kid...The storys ar slighly different to show a male version of the main story told if your a male and the kids name is Darian Garth who is a serious Pokemon fan for 7 years who has dreams of actually going to the Pokemon world and Ashly Len,the 15 year old girl who's into anime and Pokemon alot who also has dreams of going to the Pokemon world I also want to note that the story starts in the Real World,a video game version of real life...So anyways,this Pokemon by the name of Arceus is about to put the two in the greatest experiment ever done in any universe...Due to WWIII starting when they are 16, Arceus gives the two, a Pokemon which you know that Pokemon don't exist in this world but somehow Arceus did it and the boy got a Pikachu and the girl got a Shiny Celebii(because Shiny Celebii is pink and pink is the color for girls) so then Arceus makes a portal for them the travel to the Pokemon world and they finally have there dreams relized but that about as far as they go..

They arrive in the Kanto region and with some help from Prof. Oak,they become official Pokemon Trainers so that they could keep their Pokemon due to some laws in the Pokemon world...Then the story starts becoming the same on both sides like on the first night,a storm starts up and the Pokemon run away while the two humans are sleeping and they wake up due to some lightning and they look and find their Pokemon about dead due to a tree fallen on their Pokemon and they save their Pokemon by doing activating this oddd software on there Nintendo DSi that was made by Dialga and a light flashes afterwards and the boy become MegamanEXE the Pikachu become PikachuEXE,the girl become RollEXE and the Celebii becomes CelebiEXE...

I allready made a beta preview story on Bulbapedia even tho nobody read it if you would like to read it?:

Why am I here and not over at Unity asking for help... They told me off saying the due to my inexperience that I would not be able to do something this epic,different...All because I cant program or draw but I can make teams and make sure that everything is juuuust right and I can write very very very long and exciting storys like 100,000-1,000,000 words long if I have to storys....

So im heard asking...Not asking,pleading for your help...This has been my life long dream to do something like this...To make a Pokemon game that different from the rest...A game that people can say"Wow,I never knew you could do that in a Pokemon game" or "I can actually understand why its like that"...I like seeing smiles on people face's when they enjoy what innovation is all about...I want to change Pokemon for the better...

also im working on what the concept art on the menus like the BattleLibary and what the battles will look like as i will soon upload them here for you to see in a few days...

I just need some help badly...I dont have the programing skills but I can do programing testing and I can run teams as the video game developement team will be called "The Pokemon Improvement Project" a group that's all about being different and doing things differently with your ideas...

I have waited for years for this and I cant wait anymore...Its time we do somthing that different...

Thanks everyone and please pease please,Im beging you,I need alot of help on this...I have everything needed in my head but my bad skills in programming and art gives me a hard time taking those ideas out of my head for all of you to experience....

-MegamanDX

Note:I guess I dont have 15 posts yet so I cant give you links but I will soon give you links to my pictures and concept art I have on this soon so...Dont worry,I got everything and also very sorry I don't have any pictures yet(please move this to the new idea thread) but I will have some soon in here

MegamanDX

Pokemon/Megaman fan
Years
I support but i cannot program. And did you say you are doing this in unity. I can beta test but that's about it.
Yea,im kind of lost on this really...
I just need to start a video game making team much like what Game Freak is....

I know im going to need alot of help on this because when we are done making the "Pokemon Battle Network: Beta" mini game which is a simple BN game to show that Battle Network really does work in Pokemon...Like artists(Ill tell you what styles),programmers(Ill show you what to look at for examples of programming styles),story's editors ect...

This is my life long dream...I really do thank you alot for what you think about a idea that I have given it years for it to come to light...

Ill make you one of the beta testers in that case....

I should have some concept art in by the end of the day

Edit: due to the features of the game and me not having any money...Yes,this will be done in Unity

Last edited:
Years
Okay, okay. You clearly have a lot of passion for game development, but you seem incredibly naive about the process. I have to agree with the guys at the Unity forum who say that you're not capable of doing something like this, certainly not at this point.

For starters, investing a huge amount of time and energy into a Pokémon fangame, which you will be sued for if it's even partially successful, is perhaps not the wisest dream. Couple that with the Mega Man element, of course, and you have two possible ways to get closed down. If you are inspired to make an RPG creature-based game, why not go the whole way and make something original? Sure, you can borrow gameplay elements from other games, but borrow too heavily and your work will be for nought. So you want to keep the Pokémon fans involved in your game. A nice thought, but if you're serious about the game, it legally isn't possible.

Secondly, I'm really confused about what your role would be. Do you have any experience working in Unity? Doing graphics? Most people who visit this subforum have their own ideas and stories, and a lot of those have few other skills, which inevitably lead to nothing happening. Why? Because people aren't going to do free work for someone else's dream. If you don't know how to do something, try to learn. If you can't learn, try another facet of game development. Also, I don't want to offend you, but I would be very worried about working with you as a writer given how riddled with grammatical and spelling errors. Anything short of near-perfect English is seen as unprofessional, and arrogance such as "I can write very very very long and exciting storys like 100,000-1,000,000 words long if I have to storys" comes across as ridiculous.

Lastly, your story makes no sense. Okay, the idea of "real" kids being transported into the Pokémon world is good and fairly original (as far as I can remember), but its execution in your extract is disjointed. WWIII? Why is that relevant or necessary? It makes the scope of the storyline huge, without actually doing anything with it. There are simple edits that would make it more logical. You say that "Arceus did it somehow" when he gives the kids Pokémon, immediately before warping them to the Pokémon world. Why don't you just flip the two around? Wouldn't that be easier? And I'm guessing the EXE thing is a Mega Man reference, but having your characters transform just seems entirely pointless and unnecessary. They've been transported out of their own world, given Pokémon and then for some reason they're turned into robots. Is everyone a robot now? It's just excessive and seems to be trying to shoehorn in Mega Man without really giving it any real thought.

I'll leave it there, but really, I think you need to get a sense of perspective. If there's anything I've said you're confused about or want to reply to, please say so.

MegamanDX

Pokemon/Megaman fan
Years
Okay, okay. You clearly have a lot of passion for game development, but you seem incredibly naive about the process. I have to agree with the guys at the Unity forum who say that you're not capable of doing something like this, certainly not at this point.

For starters, investing a huge amount of time and energy into a Pokémon fangame, which you will be sued for if it's even partially successful, is perhaps not the wisest dream. Couple that with the Mega Man element, of course, and you have two possible ways to get closed down. If you are inspired to make an RPG creature-based game, why not go the whole way and make something original? Sure, you can borrow gameplay elements from other games, but borrow too heavily and your work will be for nought. So you want to keep the Pokémon fans involved in your game. A nice thought, but if you're serious about the game, it legally isn't possible.

Secondly, I'm really confused about what your role would be. Do you have any experience working in Unity? Doing graphics? Most people who visit this subforum have their own ideas and stories, and a lot of those have few other skills, which inevitably lead to nothing happening. Why? Because people aren't going to do free work for someone else's dream. If you don't know how to do something, try to learn. If you can't learn, try another facet of game development. Also, I don't want to offend you, but I would be very worried about working with you as a writer given how riddled with grammatical and spelling errors. Anything short of near-perfect English is seen as unprofessional, and arrogance such as "I can write very very very long and exciting storys like 100,000-1,000,000 words long if I have to storys" comes across as ridiculous.

Lastly, your story makes no sense. Okay, the idea of "real" kids being transported into the Pokémon world is good and fairly original (as far as I can remember), but its execution in your extract is disjointed. WWIII? Why is that relevant or necessary? It makes the scope of the storyline huge, without actually doing anything with it. There are simple edits that would make it more logical. You say that "Arceus did it somehow" when he gives the kids Pokémon, immediately before warping them to the Pokémon world. Why don't you just flip the two around? Wouldn't that be easier? And I'm guessing the EXE thing is a Mega Man reference, but having your characters transform just seems entirely pointless and unnecessary. They've been transported out of their own world, given Pokémon and then for some reason they're turned into robots. Is everyone a robot now? It's just excessive and seems to be trying to shoehorn in Mega Man without really giving it any real thought.

I'll leave it there, but really, I think you need to get a sense of perspective. If there's anything I've said you're confused about or want to reply to, please say so.
Yea, Im really sorry it didn't make alot of since and im trying to get all my info together also isn't easy...I kind of had to rush the thread typing since I was kind of low on time so I had to speed type the thread..Ill clarify everything for you...

The story starts that Arceus creates universe's and after creating the Pokemon world and the Pokemon that runs the basic physics which is Dialga,Palkia and Giratina...Arceus then creates other universes like our world and such and it wanted to see what Pokemon would do in other universes...So he picks a Charmander,Eevee,Pikachu and Zorua to be a part of its experiment...So it(Arceus) and Dialga,Palkia,Giratina try to transport the three to this universe that 3D which is our world but something goes wrong...Charmander and Eevee disappears when the cloud of smoke clears but not Pikachu or Zorua...

What happens is that the Charmander and Eevee is reborn(reincarnation anyone?) as as human's from the real world and they have no memory of ever being a Pokemon...So they live out there human life's until since out world is imperfect...Arceus has a meeting with Dialga,Palkia,Giratina in the year of 2008 on what to do with the real world and Arceus tells the three that in order to stop of destruction of the Real World,Arceus will end all of the human race starting in the summer of 2012 due to the real world humans own creations like discovering oil and such...But I used the "WWIII" as a cliff hanger for your information thanks! and the two becoming robot like beings is due to the fact is what would you think if you had the powers of a computers,If somehow to save your friends life you had to go on with what a unknown being told you how...What i mean is that when you merge with computers,you become like a cyborg,like Robo cop for pete sake...This happens to the two humans trying to save their Pokemon,they and there Pokemon the next day wake up to find that they can understand their Pokemon and their Pokemon can speak human language and also have the powers of computers...

My role in the project would simply be to make sure that everyone is working on what they are suppose to be working on and to make sure that they are doing it a certain way due to how all the features are...You know a project manager,I would be the project manager in this...I would give in my input about everything and you would go from there and we would work together with me and everyone with my input.....I know that may not be much and me without the ability of programming or art but I would write the storys and give in my input on what I think about Pokemon Battle network and I would then ask to see on what everyone thinks then if we disagree...We would try something different or try to make the idea better somehow...

And why does the story need to be sooooooo long...The game play on average is around 30-40 hours for video games like MMBN or Pokemon.

Right now,i'm just in the basic idea stage right now so I know this all dosn't sound really good but I really do want to go forward with this...

And I also thought about the legal stuff as well...I came up with the conclusion that "In order for Pokemon Battle Network to be legal,it has to be so different from the game play of Pokemon that even they would not think about suing me or my game and if they do..I can just give it to them to develop even better and leave it to them to develop it"

And yes,I am just a 18 year old Pokemon fan thank you very much...

PS:I got all the pictures and links you need but I cant post them until i get up to 15 posts to I will try and ill edit this post to reflect that...

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
Yeah, I agree with NikNaks, your role still isn't clear. I don't think you can be a project leader if you do not even know how the role of everyone else works. You don't know how to program, so how are you going to tell a programmer what to do? You can't simply tell him to program something. If you tell him to program a battle engine, he'll take 3 months to finish, and it won't be good. Why? Because you won't be giving him enough direction. I doubt you have a Game Design Document that lists what methods the programmer should make for the CPU and what variables he should have for the RAM and what possible problems he could run into while writing all of his code.

Quite frankly, your story idea is not that great either. Reincarnation? Cyborgs? This is not Pokemon at all.

My advice - if you want to make a Pokemon game, learn how to do it yourself, by yourself, for yourself. Like my good ol' friend NikNaks said, no one is going to nor able to help you. Start learning how to use Unity by yourself. Only you have your own mind. You're the only one who's able to create your own vision.

MegamanDX

Pokemon/Megaman fan
Years
*sighs*Your right,I don't have the skills for video games but I got one thing that perhaps you may not have and I felt that I feel ashamed that im a Pokemon fan for....I have the power of imagination...

Thats right! I can come up with anything that my brain can think up and this time...I just felt that Pokemon is just....Most of the Pokemon games are the same,same gameplay,same exact battle system(and any changes they made are hard to understand)...Look,do you want to play a Pokemon version games that's just like Pokemon Diamond in 2025 or even in 2035,what I have seen as a Pokemon fan of 13 years come out of them...The side games are even far better then the version games....There I said it...

Pokemon Battle Network is all about being different "all the way around" and not just "little bit change here" or "little bit change there"...Pokemon Battle Network makes you completely rethink about Pokemon and video games as a whole...And yea,The reason im also adding in the battle system from Megaman Battle Network...Its simple: You have more control of your Pokemon then in the Version games while still being strategic which I have noticed alot with many Pokemon fans is,needing strategy's is nice but the game becomes not much fun...

So yea,your right on alot of things..It will be me who will have to change things since no one seems to want to rise up and ask for something different...and I have alot to learn if I need to change things but I wont stop,even if The Pokemon Company call's the FBI on me because of Pokemon Battle Network,I still will be happy because at least I could just get my idea out in the open and see what other people think about it...

*sighs*5 years I had to wait for my brain to develop enough and 13 years in the making...Will I have to wait 5 more for Pokemon Battle Network?

So im really sorry but at least doing something like this or being a part of the making of Pokemon Battle network is my life long dream...

PS:Im at the start of making a GDD if you want to know

PSS:I still cant post links but in trying to get to 15 posts to show you that I have everything for Pokemon Battle Network to the point of concepts but that about as far as I have gotten on it...Ill have the concept pictures for you tomorrow since I forgot my flash drive at my house.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
Everyone has imagination. These Pokemon games have the same gameplay because it works. If Nintendo changed it, then people would stop playing Pokemon, same goes if a developer changes it. You're losing some of your audience.

You don't have to wait 5 more years to make a game. You can start now, just have to put yourself to it. It'll take a lot of practice before you make something worthwhile.

And if you get called off by the Pokemon Company and you don't comply, you'll be sued for everything (probably more) than you're worth. Not such a good idea.

By the way, what's a GDD?

Years
  • Seen Sep 28, 2023
*sighs*Your right,I don't have the skills for video games but I got one thing that perhaps you may not have and I felt that I feel ashamed that im a Pokemon fan for....I have the power of imagination...

Thats right! I can come up with anything that my brain can think up and this time...I just felt that Pokemon is just....Most of the Pokemon games are the same,same gameplay,same exact battle system(and any changes they made are hard to understand)...Look,do you want to play a Pokemon version games that's just like Pokemon Diamond in 2025 or even in 2035,what I have seen as a Pokemon fan of 13 years come out of them...The side games are even far better then the version games....There I said it...

Pokemon Battle Network is all about being different "all the way around" and not just "little bit change here" or "little bit change there"...Pokemon Battle Network makes you completely rethink about Pokemon and video games as a whole...And yea,The reason im also adding in the battle system from Megaman Battle Network...Its simple: You have more control of your Pokemon then in the Version games while still being strategic which I have noticed alot with many Pokemon fans is,needing strategy's is nice but the game becomes not much fun...

So yea,your right on alot of things..It will be me who will have to change things since no one seems to want to rise up and ask for something different...and I have alot to learn if I need to change things but I wont stop,even if The Pokemon Company call's the FBI on me because of Pokemon Battle Network,I still will be happy because at least I could just get my idea out in the open and see what other people think about it...

*sighs*5 years I had to wait for my brain to develop enough and 13 years in the making...Will I have to wait 5 more for Pokemon Battle Network?

So im really sorry but at least doing something like this or being a part of the making of Pokemon Battle network is my life long dream...

PS:Im at the start of making a GDD if you want to know

PSS:I still cant post links but in trying to get to 15 posts to show you that I have everything for Pokemon Battle Network to the point of concepts but that about as far as I have gotten on it...Ill have the concept pictures for you tomorrow since I forgot my flash drive at my house.

*Claps* nice that's the spirit!I do understand your urge to make that "one Pokemon" and I hate it when I imagine a lot and then realize there is a lot to make or study for those things.It surprisingly takes a lot of time to even make simple things in a game.No need to feel down at all from comments of your game if you take things the wrong way.From what I see, they care for you so they warn you and speak the "truth" of things(I no choose sides.)I could see this game going far with your attitude but will it be going far??That is for you to decide~~~Ha ha leader spirit for the win!If people expect you to do something in a game like code or whatever then you could try learning while you plan things so it would back you up if things go wrong(sorry if I am wrong.)I did not read all of the story ect since it was too long ha ha.I am a skilled graphics artists which I take pride in but I thought it wasn't enough in game developing so I learned coding and it brings out more of my imagination and it feels nice.Your plan seems like there is a whole lot to come so good luck. ^^

Edit: Oh yah, I am pretty sure you would have a high chance of Nintendo not doing anything to your game if it is successful since a few games have been up around 5 years like Pokemon World Online, forums that contains listings of new/old Pokemon fanmade games like this forums, Pokemon is moving onto 3D type of games which means they want those type of games to sell more than the 2D type of games, and GameFreak is a huge game company that are scattered at most countries and it is 2012 so by now they would have done something with all these Fanmade games.I found this website easily from a normal Pokemon listing search on Google.Sorry but these are just thought of from the years going by after the "game shut downs" slowed or stopped.I could be wrong though.Feel free to correct me, no hard feelings.That doesn't mean you go "full out" with fanmade games that would really get Nintendo's attention. x)

Last edited:
Years
I'm going to comment on both of your posts together to save time. My point about spelling and grammar appears to have been lost, also.

The story starts that Arceus creates universe's and after creating the Pokemon world and the Pokemon that runs the basic physics which is Dialga,Palkia and Giratina...Arceus then creates other universes like our world and such and it wanted to see what Pokemon would do in other universes...So he picks a Charmander,Eevee,Pikachu and Zorua to be a part of its experiment...So it(Arceus) and Dialga,Palkia,Giratina try to transport the three to this universe that 3D which is our world but something goes wrong...Charmander and Eevee disappears when the cloud of smoke clears but not Pikachu or Zorua...

What happens is that the Charmander and Eevee is reborn(reincarnation anyone?) as as human's from the real world and they have no memory of ever being a Pokemon...So they live out there human life's until since out world is imperfect...Arceus has a meeting with Dialga,Palkia,Giratina in the year of 2008 on what to do with the real world and Arceus tells the three that in order to stop of destruction of the Real World,Arceus will end all of the human race starting in the summer of 2012 due to the real world humans own creations like discovering oil and such...But I used the "WWIII" as a cliff hanger for your information thanks! and the two becoming robot like beings is due to the fact is what would you think if you had the powers of a computers,If somehow to save your friends life you had to go on with what a unknown being told you how...What i mean is that when you merge with computers,you become like a cyborg,like Robo cop for pete sake...This happens to the two humans trying to save their Pokemon,they and there Pokemon the next day wake up to find that they can understand their Pokemon and their Pokemon can speak human language and also have the powers of computers...

And why does the story need to be sooooooo long...The game play on average is around 30-40 hours for video games like MMBN or Pokemon.

Right now,i'm just in the basic idea stage right now so I know this all dosn't sound really good but I really do want to go forward with this...

You act like these bizarre plot points are obvious, which really confuses me. So, they're cyborgs now for some reason, and they've.. chosen to do that to save the Pokémon they've only just met? That's very noble.

I also have no idea where I said that the game had to be long, but considering how much you're desperate to break with the trends set by previous games, setting yourself a limit that's the same as those seems a bit odd.

My role in the project would simply be to make sure that everyone is working on what they are suppose to be working on and to make sure that they are doing it a certain way due to how all the features are...You know a project manager,I would be the project manager in this...I would give in my input about everything and you would go from there and we would work together with me and everyone with my input.....I know that may not be much and me without the ability of programming or art but I would write the storys and give in my input on what I think about Pokemon Battle network and I would then ask to see on what everyone thinks then if we disagree...We would try something different or try to make the idea better somehow...

As DaSpirit echoed, this is not enough for a free project. No-one will do the donkey-work for free unless they're confident that you're doing just as much. Almost everyone (myself included) arrives here hoping to be able to make a game through the talents of other people, and it becomes obvious that it doesn't work. If you want to waste your own time and find this out for yourself, then go ahead, but I implore you to listen to this advice.

And I also thought about the legal stuff as well...I came up with the conclusion that "In order for Pokemon Battle Network to be legal,it has to be so different from the game play of Pokemon that even they would not think about suing me or my game and if they do..I can just give it to them to develop even better and leave it to them to develop it"

But, just to clarify, you'll be using the name "Pokémon" and Pokémon characters and settings, yes? If that's the case, then it's a breach of copyright. There is nothing in copyright law to defend you if you just use the characters and most of the rest is different.

And yes,I am just a 18 year old Pokemon fan thank you very much...

So am I. Is that in any way relevant?

I feel like you're just trying to be offensive here. Are you suggesting you're the only person on this forum with imagination? Anyway...

Yes, most of the games are the same, or at least very similar. As DaSpirit said, if you go too far away from Pokémon, you lose the userbase. If you want to make an original game, great, but trying to tack on existing worlds because you like them isn't great.

I'm sorry that you've had to wait for your brain to develop, but if you want sympathy, you are not going to get it here. Passion for game development without the skills to back it up isn't going to get you anywhere. Please try to learn some development skills first.

If you're convinced it will change our minds, please feel free to PM them to us.

As before, if there is anything that doesn't make sense or is unclear, please ask. As it is, you're continuing to prove your naivety. We're trying to help, so please heed our advice.

Edit: Oh yah, I am pretty sure you would have a high chance of Nintendo not doing anything to your game if it is successful since a few games have been up around 5 years like Pokemon World Online, forums that contains listings of new/old Pokemon fanmade games like this forums, Pokemon is moving onto 3D type of games which means they want those type of games to sell more than the 2D type of games, and GameFreak is a huge game company that are scattered at most countries and it is 2012 so by now they would have done something with all these Fanmade games.I found this website easily from a normal Pokemon listing search on Google.Sorry but these are just thought of from the years going by after the "game shut downs" slowed or stopped.I could be wrong though.Feel free to correct me, no hard feelings.That doesn't mean you go "full out" with fanmade games that would really get Nintendo's attention. x)

There's a stark difference between a fansite and a game online that's actually generating revenue based on the Pokémon franchise. They don't mind games that aren't very good or are incomplete, because it wouldn't really detract from their own sales, but if any fangame started to become really popular (as a lot of the MMOs do), then they usually get cease and desist messages. I'm quite surprised an MMO has lasted five years to be honest, but I'd be even more surprised if it made it five more years. Happy to be proven wrong, though!

MegamanDX

Pokemon/Megaman fan
Years
@KikNaks and others, I really do feel your concern about of alot of things in my project but I will still clarify for you about a few things...First...
A GDD is just a shorten name for "Game Design Document" in fact,I have a case that has all my concepts in it as I will show the pictures later....

When I see on here and play other fanmade games(made by fans)/fangames(hacked ROM games)...My dream is to change the part that Pokemon has to be repetitive to be enjoyed but the repetitive nature can only go on for so long before each game that comes up is just like the last and people will not buy or play the same thing over and over again will they? I feel that perhaps you and me are not seeing eye to eye because I plan to do something so different that you would not to know what to think of it...I want to break the repetitive cycle that playing the same thing over and over again can be fun because it really isn't fun.....When I am on here looking at the fangames and fan made Pokemon games...They all look allmost the same...same gameplay mechanics,same or simuler battle system and also that they are well...Pokemon.

...Pokemon Battle Network throws everything out the window! Th PKMN BN games will change everything you think about Pokemon by doing things differently...all the way to the battle system...In Pokemon Battle Network,you cant not win at battles by using Version mechanics of just selecting just one of four moves and letting your Pokemon sit there and get hit....The battle system in PKMN BN will need the player to actually fully control how the Pokemon battles,how that Pokemon evades attacks,how that Pokemon attacks...What up to 5 attacks(could use at one time) will you have your Pokemon use...Would it be nice if you could combine,fire and water attacks and make combos attacks...Would you like to make your Pokemon attacks much more powerful like a FlashCannon becoming a PlasmaCannon or HammerArm becoming a GaiaHammer? Would you like to have for the first time,full control of your Pokemon like Pokemon trainers do?

So for now I will just post pictures after pictures after pictures...I know that change can be hard to deal with but we can do this...I will not stop untill this happens

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
Great though your GDD should be a document that is edited online. The concept of a Design Document is that it's supposed to be a living breathing being, which all of your team mates should be able to edit. I recommend Google Docs as multiple people can edit it at the same time.

Maybe the problem is the software you want to use? Not many people here know how to use Unity here. The majority only know RPG Maker. Maybe you should learn how to use RPG Maker too? There are a lot of tutorials here and even a help forum to ask questions.

The only way you could get people to join is if they're interested in joining. Honestly, not many people become interested in a certain fan game unless screenshots are introduced, so until you make some I don't think you'll be able to find anyone.

Years
@KikNaks and others, I really do feel your concern about of alot of things in my project but I will still clarify for you about a few things...First...
A GDD is just a shorten name for "Game Design Document" in fact,I have a case that has all my concepts in it as I will show the pictures later....

When I see on here and play other fanmade games(made by fans)/fangames(hacked ROM games)...My dream is to change the part that Pokemon has to be repetitive to be enjoyed but the repetitive nature can only go on for so long before each game that comes up is just like the last and people will not buy or play the same thing over and over again will they? I feel that perhaps you and me are not seeing eye to eye because I plan to do something so different that you would not to know what to think of it...I want to break the repetitive cycle that playing the same thing over and over again can be fun because it really isn't fun.....When I am on here looking at the fangames and fan made Pokemon games...They all look allmost the same...same gameplay mechanics,same or simuler battle system and also that they are well...Pokemon.

...Pokemon Battle Network throws everything out the window! Th PKMN BN games will change everything you think about Pokemon by doing things differently...all the way to the battle system...In Pokemon Battle Network,you cant not win at battles by using Version mechanics of just selecting just one of four moves and letting your Pokemon sit there and get hit....The battle system in PKMN BN will need the player to actually fully control how the Pokemon battles,how that Pokemon evades attacks,how that Pokemon attacks...What up to 5 attacks(could use at one time) will you have your Pokemon use...Would it be nice if you could combine,fire and water attacks and make combos attacks...Would you like to make your Pokemon attacks much more powerful like a FlashCannon becoming a PlasmaCannon or HammerArm becoming a GaiaHammer? Would you like to have for the first time,full control of your Pokemon like Pokemon trainers do?

So for now I will just post pictures after pictures after pictures...I know that change can be hard to deal with but we can do this...I will not stop untill this happens

You're acting like the fact that I think your plot makes no sense is down to the fact that I'm against breaking the norm. It's actually due to the fact that your ideas are incongruous and don't add anything to the experience at all. Yes, I think you have gone too far, but that isn't to say that I wouldn't like something equally different but more coherent.

And, to answer your questions, no, I wouldn't like my 'mons to do that. Have you considered how you're going to balance combo attacks at all? Again, excuse my ignorance about the Mega Man element; I'm perfectly happy to believe that the battle system you're borrowing from that has all of these things, and in that case it's probably fine, but take great care not to make it too complicated and unwieldy.

You've also ignored the parts of my post about the practicality of this project, which are the key ones, in my opinion. You will need to try to learn some skills if this is going to get anywhere.

MegamanDX

Pokemon/Megaman fan
Years
Great though your GDD should be a document that is edited online. The concept of a Design Document is that it's supposed to be a living breathing being, which all of your team mates should be able to edit. I recommend Google Docs as multiple people can edit it at the same time.

Maybe the problem is the software you want to use? Not many people here know how to use Unity here. The majority only know RPG Maker. Maybe you should learn how to use RPG Maker too? There are a lot of tutorials here and even a help forum to ask questions.

The only way you could get people to join is if they're interested in joining. Honestly, not many people become interested in a certain fan game unless screenshots are introduced, so until you make some I don't think you'll be able to find anyone.
The problem with the screen shots is that,this is still in concept right now...What I mean is that I have been focusing on getting the story right for a long time that I just couldn't focus on the other parts(or draw out other parts)but I finally got the story right even tho it may not make much sense right now but remember this is just the beginning...Yea,things are weard and the ideas I have are strange but you all have to trust me on this one...If I knew this would have failed,I would have quit this and abandon this project a long time ago but look I haven't...

Im here and proposing a idea that really...different...

Oh and I actually heard about Google Docs but I didn't know you could do that actually...I guess Ill make one then.

and to answer the other question...I chosen Unity because I didn't have any money to really get RPG Maker without the time limits(as in you get a few days to try the program,then you have to buy it...But yea,when I get the time Ill try to understand it but my skills are very limited(I can only make the "hello world!" program in BASIC for Nintendo 3DS)but I am taking a Intro to Computer Science right now to learn to program so I maybe able to at least do beta testing for now...

Ill keep you updated with more consept pictures and in really sorry I dont have any screen shots due to the fact this this project is still in the consept phase so im just now starting to draw out what the game will look like

(I don't get that I can draw concept art but not anything else like I cant draw Pikachu or even Ditto)

EDIT:@KikNaks, Its not that in not reading everything your saying and I do agree with you on everything you said...I just am trying to get all my thoughts and idea organized...To you it may sound like a bad idea and I'm just a beginner at video games that just has a idea that different but you just don't want to see what im aiming at...Like the time you said this "Happy to be proven wrong, though!"...Sorry pal,I will listen to you and take you advice but what you just told me that you would like to see this fail and me in jail for trying to do make something that can be fun and strategic at the same time...Pokemon is strategic but not fun anymore and I feel your not happy that i'm want to put in the fun element back in,in a new way...

Last edited:
Years
EDIT:@KikNaks, Its not that in not reading everything your saying and I do agree with you on everything you said...I just am trying to get all my thoughts and idea organized...To you it may sound like a bad idea and I'm just a beginner at video games that just has a idea that different but you just don't want to see what im aiming at...Like the time you said this "Happy to be proven wrong, though!"...Sorry pal,I will listen to you and take you advice but what you just told me that you would like to see this fail and me in jail for trying to do make something that can be fun and strategic at the same time...Pokemon is strategic but not fun anymore and I feel your not happy that i'm want to put in the fun element back in,in a new way...

My username is "NikNaks" with two Ns.

At no point did I say that I wanted this to fail. What I want is for you to make a game that people would want to play, instead of a mess of disjointed ideas. I don't think you're taking any of what I'm actually saying on board, so I'm not going to bother replying any more. Please listen to advice. I'm out.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
lol NikNaks gets carried away sometimes. He used to be in my team before he quit for a stupid reason. But still, he is making a few points. And when he said he would want to be proven wrong, it was about that Pokemon MMOs still exist, not about your game.

Intro to Computer Science is not enough to make a game. You'd still need to take at least two courses after that, which would be Data Structures and Algorithms and/or a Software Analysis and Design class. Either that, or you work really hard. It takes months before programming clicks.

MegamanDX

Pokemon/Megaman fan
Years
My username is "NikNaks" with two Ns.

At no point did I say that I wanted this to fail. What I want is for you to make a game that people would want to play, instead of a mess of disjointed ideas. I don't think you're taking any of what I'm actually saying on board, so I'm not going to bother replying any more. Please listen to advice. I'm out.
Very well then...Yeap yeap, ill have been listening to the advice;)...I allways do in the first place...Just that all of my ideas are usually disorganized and takes a while for me to get everything together which I just started to do now a few weeks ago...

Why I thought that was how you put in your advice,how you made it sound...I see things realistically and with common sense...

Ok, since you think you know alot...What do you think should be done about Pokemon Battle Network? Remember you have to throw out the usual Pokemon formula for this to work...
What do you think then on?
Just asking....

Oh...I understand you got alot of other things to worry about so I understand why your out...In that case,ill still just keep on adding to the Pokemon Battle Network GDD...

In that case now that the smoke has cleared...Ill be uploading this time the concept art on how the battle system will work in this fan made game tomarrow and alot of other stuff but im still here to take in advice as I have been but one person did a rage quit for not seeing things(I warned you that we need to see eye to eye or we might fight alot)

Anyways.......

lol NikNaks gets carried away sometimes. He used to be in my team before he quit for a stupid reason. But still, he is making a few points. And when he said he would want to be proven wrong, it was about that Pokemon MMOs still exist, not about your game.

Intro to Computer Science is not enough to make a game. You'd still need to take at least two courses after that, which would be Data Structures and Algorithms and/or a Software Analysis and Design class. Either that, or you work really hard. It takes months before programming clicks.
Yea,I kind of figured that my class isn't even close to enough(my teacher warned me that a video game of this magnitude will require skills that I may not have even heard of before...but again,I love to play around with things about computers and I love video games and want to make something amazing so instead of taking a Basic Computer Concepts class...I took the Intro class and I feel that even that class maybe too easy for me but the programming part...Which I just started to do and I kind of get it but then I kind of don't at the same time...But really fun.

Edit: I forgot to say that this isnt a MMO but will be a fully featured PC download/so called "demo" game like what the Megaman Battle Network Chrono X game is

Last edited:

ChaosLord

Game Dev Wanderer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2013
^ Kinda just seems like you're saying all that just to end the conversation even though NikNaks is right about this whole game. There are dozens of inspiring newbs like you who has an idea about a Pokemon game, and like you asks for help without giving anything in return. You say you're classes and such, but if that's true, it'll take awhile for you to even make a single process on this said game. The whole coming up with ideas thing is what newbs forget about what all of this is about; You guy's likely aren't majoring in anything computer related, and you all claim your projects to be a hobby, only to get pissed and desperate cause no one's helping you, which makes sense when you've got nothing to contribute, not to mention you're just doing this for fun.

Only few people I've seen on this site I can name at the top of my head is Desbrina's Pokemon Yellow Remake, and this one Pokemon Adventure Time sprite like side scrolling game, and both of those users already have programming experience, either due to classes(Which must have took awhile) or self-learning. So again, quit begging for help with project's when your only doing this as a hobby/have no contributions(Btw spending a couple of weeks in class isn't enough time to learn how to program) AKA, idea's fine, just come back with the project when you have experience with programming, if anyone is willing to put the effort into giving you the help besides your classes.

Years
First off I need to say something that I think you were completely wrong about saying ESPECIALLY on a Pokemon fan site when you had said Pokemon isn't fun anymore. You gotta think about what you say dude, no, no one will find it offensive but you will have A LOT of disagreements on your hands.
Second off I don't recommend you ONLY use your Computer Science class as a way to learn how to program. I'm not in a programming class but when I first got RPG Maker XP I'd go straight on my computer after school and look up tutorials and I would use a lot of my free time (When I wasn't doing homework) doing this. Yes it felt like more and more school having to learn all of the stuff but if you have the dedication for your project you will HAVE to learn it. Otherwise I feel no one will take you seriously as a leader of a project like this.
Finally I don't think you should rely on a HUGE team. I think having up to 1-3 people helping you out is enough. One managing all of these people will stress you out and two just like you they have personal lives they need to deal with and they WILL choose them over your project. In my opinion no one will be more passionate about the project then the leader, so use your enthusiasm for the project by learning how to make the game instead of using it to find people to help you out.
P.S: This is by no means a bad project. It's a good idea but I feel this won't be completed if you don't know much about game development besides making stories.
P.S.S: If you plan to be the one who does the storyline at least try to have decent grammar. I've seen a lot of misspells in your posts and they make me have trouble taking you seriously. The same thing will happen when someone reads the storyline.
That's all I have to say, good luck with the project and if you need to put it on hiatus until you learn how to develop then by all means, do that. Good luck and I wish you the best.

pokefangames

Sinor Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 29, 2013
well, your story seems interesting, and you say you need a programer? I could help. My main study in college right now is scripting, just tell the code language and I'll try to help.

btw, I read the post thoroughly, and I noticed you ARE doing something advanced and I see why the "booted" you off of the unity site, no one there knows how to MAKE A SIMPLE POKEMON GAME let alone a big one like this. but I'm currently working on different sub-engines in unity3D and wouldn't mind taking this project on as a challenge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back