• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Guardians of the Lake

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
250px-Lake_guardians_anime.png

Amongst the legendaries of the region are creatures that can control various aspects such as time, some living in volcanoes while others in a soft, calm meadow. They were all over the place and everywhere you looked, they popped out everywhere. One of the various trios in D/P/Pt, was the Lake Guardians which was made up of Uxie, Mespirit and Azelf. They resembled three characteristics and made several appearances within the game, the first with Mespirit when you and your rival explore Lake Verity in Platinum.

They're also seen to be chased by Team Galactic quite a bit, as they are wanted for their power, their strength, to open up the Distorion World for the cruel commander, Cyrus. After all the chaos has ended, which you the player help to do, the Guardians return to their lakes except for Mespirit who begins roaming the region, you can finally engage with them in battle and catch them.

All of them have fairly similar stats and all are psychic types. They have some tricky moves up their sleeves along with other various strategies. So what did you think of them in general? Was the storyline behind them good? What could of been improved? Would you of liked them to be higher levelled, a different typing etc.?

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
Years
An the din farore and nayru of pokemon. Honestly at least one of 'em should have been water type

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
Tbh, I actually found the lake guardians to be pretty meh. Uxie seemed like an attempt at a poor man's Cressilia and Mesprit was just a plain Jane with balanced stats within the trio. However, Azelf really stood out to me with it's high offenses and speed, not to mention a decent movepool.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I was not impressed by them at all. I caught them just to fill the dex at the time, but I remember never using or even liking anything about them past that.

The whole missions to catch them was pretty unappealing to me too.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
They bored me, really. They all look too similar and the fact they're all the same type doesn't help, either. I realize they all function differently, but it doesn't help them much in terms of interest. I did use Mesprit on my team my very first time through Diamond and I really liked Uxie at one time, so I guess I can't be too mad abt it.

Years
I honestly love the trio and I consider them to be some of my all-time favourite legendaries.

I love the idea that they're representative of emotion, willpower, and knowledge, and how each one of them guards a different lake. I also love the portrayal of Mesprit, Uxie, and Azelf, particularly in the DP anime. Not a lot was known about these mythical deities, they were shrouded with mysteriosity. Even though they were less emphasized as compared to other Sinnoh legendaries, they still have maintained such significance in terms of Sinnoh mythology and have thus contributed a lot of the region as a whole.

In terms of design, my favourite has always been Mesprit. I think she has a lovely design and she stands out to me a little more than her counterparts. Moreover, I've always felt more in touch with my emotions as opposed to my wisdom or willpower, which is another reason as to why I'm so fond of Mesprit.

In terms of gaming use, I somehow got a hold of an Azelf that I used in competitive battling in ORAS (I'm not much of a competitive battler, but I used to do it on occasion for fun). I have to say, Azelf was pretty reliable and I used to her inflict status ailments on my foes as well as to spam calm mind and psychic. :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Not a fan, but to be fair to Sinnoh, I'm not a fan of most of their legendary monsters. At least the lake trio are not just full copy and pasted versions of each other, which is more than I can say for certain other pokemon. Coughughd unova genies cougaghh

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
They weren't intriguing. I didn't even bother trying to catch them when playing Platinum.

Years
Honestly, they're cute and interesting and one of my favourite legendaries! Sure, they may be too similar to each other, but considering their lore, it makes sense that they are so I don't really mind in the slightest. I feel like I had more fun catching them and using them in battles compared to other legendaries, anyway.

Last edited:
Years
I wish these little guys didn't get such a bad rep. I really liked their storyline in Platinum. The Distortion World was the best part of the story and I see the Lake Gaurdians as the unsung heroes. It is really endearing despite being outmatched how they appear in order to intervene and try to stand against Dialga and Palkia, and then serve as your guide inside the distortion world.

They have pleasant designs and really great music. C'mon guys, what's not to like about this tune?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tK1PWoWdUXY&t=4s

I was actually really looking forward to catching all of them, and felt at peace, like my Sinnoh journey had run its course and come to the natural end once I caught Mesprit. He was the gaurdian I was most excited about adding to my collection, my favorite of the three at the time. I was curious about him because he was the only roamer, also I knew that his well-balanced stats allowed me to play around a bit with his role, plus there was something about his appearance, his cuteness, floating form and pink coloration that reminded me of Mew.

Over the years I have used all three of the Lake Guardians, and now my favorite is Azel. Despite his cute mouse-like appearance he reigned the most terror in battle. Uxie is my 2nd favorite now, we had a decent run. None of the three were shabby in fact.

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
I really liked the story behind that trio. I also like the visual simulaties between them (unlike most legendary duos & trios).

Although Levitate ability did make sense for that trio, I always wish they were given an ability that was only exclusive to them... further tying them into their storyline.

kyuubi93

What a bother
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 24, 2018
I loved the story behind the Lake Trio, it's small and simple and they play their roles in the overall story very nicely. I also have an affinity for Azelf, I really love to use it every now and then when I replay through Platinum.

Back