• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Coder's Lounge

Years
vscode > atom
atom was so frustrating to me when i had to use it for school... stop opening with a million welcome tabs and then lagging out

You can turn the welcome tabs off... I've never had problems with lag in Atom (though if you had to use it on school computers... well, I always have a problem with lag on school computers no matter what software I'm using lol)

AlolanRattata

The Music Meister
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
Well visual studio code was developed directly by microsoft itself, as opposed to Atom which was worked on by one of its subsidiaries GitHub. Whether that is indicative of anything to anyone else probably not, but it might have something to do with individual preference.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 25, 2023
Well, Atom was developed before VSCode and before Microsoft purchased GitHub.

I believe a lot of VSCode was developed based on/inspired by Atom. Don't quote me on that, but they are strikingly similar.

AlolanRattata

The Music Meister
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
I think Atom is the more beginner friendly of the two. Although I would also imagine that most coders end up using both frequently.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Did you know that pragmatism is a recursive problem?

You have a problem you want to solve. You solve it in a pragmatic way (least amount of effort, but still correct result). Later on you find yourself solving a problem. This problem is special, because it only exists because of the way you solved the previous problem. How do you solve that new problem? Pragmatically, of course!

I think this describes business code pretty well, don't you think? :P

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
So I ended up finding an SQL injection vulnerability on my site today. Guess I'll be busy working on patching that...

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
So I've been getting into a language called Crystal lately. It's inspired by Ruby (my fav language) but compiles to an executable like C. It's WAY faster and has a pretty smart type system, so it's pretty much become my designated "side project language" for things big enough that I actually want types.

I just wish the tooling around it was better. I'd love for VSCode to support it the way it does Typescript, with the type hinting and autocompletion and in-editor type errors. Right now I don't think anything for that exists, which makes it a lot harder to work with.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Has anyone here used rust??? I decided to try it out on a whim this week to see what all the fuss is about and wowie it's so cool.
Been following some tutorials, I made a simple web server that lets you upload and view files and I'm about to learn how to make the game of life~

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Life update: I made the game of life from one of the tutorials and did some of the challenges, I am so into this
I really want to try the Rocket web framework for some personal project after reading the docs

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
So I'm thinking about trying Android app development again, but I think I'm going to take a new approach of using some open source software. Mostly because another project I am also doing I did the same thing and suddenly it became A TON easier.

Anyone have any projects they're looking to do in the new year?

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
I kinda want to do more projects in a build a portfolio kind of way, since I'm kinda close to graduating and I really need one of these, but I don't really have a lot of ideas, so I don't know what to do lol.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I'd like to do something with SDL2 this year. I'm still trying to find a neat graphics library for some C++ programming.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
You could give Qt a try.
I've played around with Qt before. It was interesting and especially the slot/signal approach I found rather confusing in the beginning. It's also nice since it comes with its own designer/IDE so for a programmer who likes to create GUI based applications I can see the appeal.

However, I like my little terminal application as they are. I'm interested into SDL2 solely to create some really simplistic and barebones "games" while also being able to use something that's a little more fancy than base OpenGL.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I kinda want to do more projects in a build a portfolio kind of way, since I'm kinda close to graduating and I really need one of these, but I don't really have a lot of ideas, so I don't know what to do lol.

I feel you there. I've got a few things I'm doing, one of which is basically my portfolio in the form of a blog, but I'm also working on a game as well to try and get something underneath my wings for experience.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
Speaking of portfolios, I ought to build up one myself, but I'm such a lapsed programmer now? I haven't touched a piece of coding in any meaningful way in the last 2 years, aside from fixing one thing in a preexisting project.

I've been pushed down the software tester route, and boyyy is working with SQA/TQA People a joy!
/sarcasm

Anyway. Tl;dr, any advice for a lapsed programmer like myself? I taught myself Python and built a website using React little over a year ago? I hear jamstack is the new full-stack development trend, perhaps i could try give that a go?

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
I desperately need to make a portfolio of personal projects. I just don't know how to schedule the right amount of time for them in my busy student life.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
Doesnt seem like its been active in here for a while, but Im here if theres anybody else!😂 I completed a bootcamp, and have been working solo for a small company on a few projects. Definitely junior level so if there's anybody that wants to accountability partners and check in and talk about code~

I do MERN stack so the only programming language I'm comfortable in is JavaScript, but I do know basic python, C# and C++.

I really need to work on my portfolio, my end goal someday would be to get into game development!

Back