• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Legends: Arceus] Do you like the changes made to status effects?

Years
The way some status effects work was changed in Legends: Arceus - they're not all the same to how they typically functioned in main series games. Sleep was changed to Drowsy for example, which rather than being unable to attack for a set amount of turns made your Pokémon sometimes unable to attack (they also took increased damage from attacks). Frozen was changed to Frostbite, which did damage over time. Additionally, all status effects are cured upon exiting the battle. You can read more about the changes here.

Did you like the changes to status effects? Did any get better or worse?

Years
I think they're interesting in this kind of game, where the mechanic was different.
In a normal pokemon game, it would so different. Especially competitively, i guess. I think that those status effects should be kept in the possible "pokemon legends" series, while the main pokemon games should stick to the older ones, since imo they're more balanced. Especially competitively. Even if next main games will be open world, I would prefer GF to stick to the only and old usual statuses

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I had no idea that Drowsy caused increased damage and Frostbite lowered SpA

Kinda like them better than Sleep or Frozen tbh, those were kinda just "you are temporarily not allowed to play the game" statuses

Years
Drowsy is just a less punishing Sleep imo
All the mons that put your mons to sleep are little more than a nuisance already.
I don't particularly care about either of them.

Frostbite would actually be nice if it were kept around alongside Frozen. The Special Attack cut is quite useful.
I don't think I've even seen any of my mons get frozen in gen 7 or gen 8, but I'm not sure I'd want Frozen to disappear completely just because it's rare.
In terms of frequency Frostbite felt more common so it's an improvement in that field =p

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Freeze status is a dumbed down and poorly designed version of Sleep. I don't know why it hasn't been modernized yet in the main games.

Unlike the other status conditions, there's no reliable way of inflicting it, and there's no way of using it as an actual battle strategy, it's just something that has a 10% chance of happening when attacking with (most) Ice type moves, but you have zero control over it, and you can't do anything about it.

Sleep is kinda like a soft Freeze but at least you can play more around it. You can directly inflict it with certain moves (typically not very accurate, but still viable) put your own Pokémon to sleep using Rest, use Sleep Talk or Snore, or even punish asleep Pokémon with moves like Dream Eater. So I think Sleep and Drowsy are both interesting in their own ways (Drowsy also lowers action speed if I recall correctly), but Frostbite is way better than Freeze.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
As said above, Freeze is just a hard Sleep because it's much rarer for it to wear off naturally and without options other than to be a sitting Psyduck.

While Frostbite is more efficient as the SP. ATK version of Burn and compliments the less competitive formula of Legend Arceus', for a competitive mechanic I think I prefer the fangame Pokemon Empire's revamp of Freeze which acts as a combination of Burn and Paralysis that more resembles hypothermia than cryogenics. Instead of putting the target in a state of complete stasis, it only has a chance of preventing you from moving and depletes a fraction of HP each turn. It's a lot of the same brutality of the traditional freeze without rendering the victim entirely unable to move. Some might call it even more brutal (and Pokemon Empire is intended to be a rather brutal game).

I'm not a fan of Drowsy as it removes the unique aspect of the sleep status. Both Freeze and Sleep are the only two statuses that can't be used with Facade and Guts as power boosts rather than hindrances but at least Sleep has other options. It's the one status that can be both beneficial through healing (Rest and/or Dream Eater) or inflicting pure damage (Nightmare or Bad Dreams) as well as the most effective status for catching Pokemon and worked around with Sleep Talk or Snore allowing a sleeping Pokemon to still attack.

Last edited:
Years
I love the changes made to the status effects!

I play pretty casually on Showdown now and again, and the absolute bane of my life has been everyone using Amoongus with Spore. I know Sleep has been a part of the series forever, but I much prefer it as a POTENTIAL drawback, than just sitting there helplessly for 3-ish turns while the opponent wrecks shop.

I also love Frostbite as a change to Freeze. It makes sense, design-wise, that there was a status effect that lowers Special Attack in the way that Burn lowers physical attack.
I also learned recently that Freezing can literally just last forever. There are some ways to overcome it naturally (using Heat Wave, etc), but I've sat on a battlefield, frozen, for 8+ turns, and that.. just shouldn't be possible.

TL;DR, I like the changes a lot. They're inconveniences rather than absolute handicaps. I wish we'd see these changes brought forward, frankly.

Back