• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Favorite Gen 2 Fire type.

Rixe

Space Charkie
Years
Typhlosion and Houndoom, like everyone else.
Typhlosion in shiny especially. I miss the purple flames from Gen 2.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Y'know, I hadn't realized (or remembered, I guess) until now how few Fire types there are from Gen 2. Still not quite up to the level of Diamond/Pearl's absurd lack of them, but still.

Houndour and Ho-oh are cool. It's too bad that you can't get the former until you get partway through Kanto....not sure why they thought to not include all but one of the Dark types until after the Elite 4 really

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Not counting the legendaries, the Houndoom line. Even considering them, Houndoom/dour are really great designs, but Entei and Ho-oh are particularly fantastic and very fitting for their status.

Years
Quilava. :P Interestingly enough, Quilava is one of my favourite 2nd stage starter evos, so there's that!

Aside from that, Ho-oh comes at a very close second.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 28, 2021
This spicy boy without a doubt

giphy.gif

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I know its technically not a Johto Fire Type but for me, its Vulpix line. Granted its a Silver exclusive but Route 36/37 at level 13/14 or so isn't too bad of a start. Unfortunately its SpA was nerfed from its Generation 1 days and yet despite that I still prefer it over other Fire Types. I mean yeah Cyndaquil, Magby and Houndour lines have similar speed and stronger SpA but everyone can't forget this graceful Fox Pokemon that learns Flamethrower at level 31(beat that level 46 Cyndaquil, level 35 Houndour or level 37 Magby).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Aug 15, 2019
I always really liked Magcargo. Its body being lava and it's shell being cooled lava makes its design really stand out to me.

Cid

Years
The Houndour and Cyndaquil lines off the top of my head. Magcargo is fun in Doubles because of Speed Swap and Shell Smash, too.

edit: Oh man, Entei! The movie made me love Entei. And of course, Ho-Oh, the version mascot of my favorite game in the series.

Last edited:

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
Cyndaquil is cute and was my Starter in Silver, so I'm fond of it. I never liked Quilava much though, and while Typhlosion is strong, I have a love-hate relationship with it since it was one of the few Neo Genesis cards that I wasn't able to attain back in 2001. :/

Years
Has to be Ho-oh followed closely by Typhlosion, Ho-oh was mythical and was a great design plus tough as hell and Sacred Fire was a beast if a move

Years
Cyndaquil and Quilava are awesome like all Johto starters, but I'm not really a fan of Typhlosion. And then there's Magby. Magmar is my favourite Kanto Fire-type and I loved Magby since the moment I've seen it. I wish Baby Pokémon would return one day.

Back