• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Generation 8 Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
Things I want:
1. No more anime connections: I understand that a large part of the fanbase loves the anime, but considering that the anime defies logic and is anything but canon, I think it's best the games differ from the anime. The references I'm talking about are things like Ash-Greninja, appearances from anime characters, references to anime events, etc.
2. Ride pokemon should be caught, not handed out: Ride pokemon should be caught. In the sense, the game doesn't let you advance if you don't catch the pokemon that you must ride. For example, you have to catch a Tauros in order to break boulders, catch a certain flying type pokemon like Unfezant to fly, etc.
3. Pokemon following you around: This is pretty obvious. It's just fun to have another pokemon follow you around. Perhaps the only LGPE feature that should be there, along with the traveling Pokemon PC box.
4. Open world adventure: An open world adventure like BotW would be really good. The reason I say something like an open world should be there is that the player decides the speed of the fame, Instead of being bound by stupid sequential events, the player can directly choose to approach the story the way he wants to. For example, he can challenge the gyms in whatever order he wants... or something.
5. New pokemon with more well rounded stats: I understand that it's hard to constantly design new pokemon, but I think using mega evolutions as an excuse to not design more base pokemon is kind of cheap. Also, I'd relaly prefer if the stats didn't have some dumb pattern. For example, most good gen 7 pokemon were severely hindered by their terrible speed. It was really annoying to have to use pokemon form past gens just to make up for the abysmal speed.
6. Multiple regions: Pretty self explanatory. An expansive second region like Kanto from HG/SS.
7: Rude rivals: Also self explanatory
8: Difficulty modes: Self explanatory.
9: Multiple save files
10: No more physical event pokemon events that are region locked: It's annoying for those of us who don't live near Gamestop, or don't even have one.

I even half of these won't come, and it's unfair to expect all of these things, but I hope at least some of these come, especially the simpler ones like catching ride pokemon.

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
Years
I want a larger world to explore and graphics that are console worthy. The worse thing for me would be to just have a typical handheld Pokemon game but in HD.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
I want a larger world to explore and graphics that are console worthy. The worse thing for me would be to just have a typical handheld Pokemon game but in HD.

Agreed. But I doubt that'll happen. In interviews with Tsunekazu Ishihara, he said that the hardest parts in the production were thinking up of ways of how the console can be used in the maximum capacity to support the game. Hopefully, the graphics are BotW level, or (though it won't happen) better.

Years
Considering that this is going to be Game Freak's second forray into the Switch, it's probably a bit safe to say that it'll be a more polished game than LGPE. Whether it'll be more expansive region-wise depends on the setting, but I wouldn't hope for anything close to BotW... yet.

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
Years
Agreed. But I doubt that'll happen. In interviews with Tsunekazu Ishihara, he said that the hardest parts in the production were thinking up of ways of how the console can be used in the maximum capacity to support the game. Hopefully, the graphics are BotW level, or (though it won't happen) better.

Maybe Gen 9 once they figure things out better. I'm about to say something that may seem rude but it has to be said. I wonder if it's due to his age that is making GF hold back. Like maybe younger devs would me more open and willing to fully try. One of the best things I heard was Masuda was not going to really be too involved since he was not as in involved with BW2 and that was probably the last good Pokemon game. (XY and SM felt lacking tbh)

Also I think we are getting a reveal Pokemon Day assuming my Instagram theory plays out

Last edited:

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
Years
Masuda is primarily involved in composing the music and directing the games themselves, and I'd say XY were good games, just easy. Same can't be said for SM because they did feel lacking. I doubt it's Ishihara's fault either.

Isn't Ishihara more of the face? Like does he really have anything to do with making them? I could be wrong so that is why I'm asking.

I doubt it will happen but I'd love for Gen 8 to be promoted by celebs. Seeing Ariana or Nina involved would be amazing to me. I really just want the Gen 8 journey to be very main stream is all.

Last edited:
Years
True. But now they can use Ryan Reynolds for free because he's the voice actor for their latest movie, so they can make him endorse the entire franchise or at least the movie, and then link it to Gen 8.

Game Freak should use Ryan for sampling voice of Cry Pokemon, that would be appropriate.

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
Years
One thing I really want is for them to move away from the kid friendly vibe. You can still be aimed at kids without being super kiddy. I feel since Gen 6 Pokemon has really upped the kidddy vibe. I also want to see them dive deeper into the lore. We see the pokemon world can get super dark due to some dex entries and also some BTS story lines but at the same time the game makes it all rainbow and gumdrops.

Years
One thing I really want is for them to move away from the kid friendly vibe. You can still be aimed at kids without being super kiddy. I feel since Gen 6 Pokemon has really upped the kidddy vibe. I also want to see them dive deeper into the lore. We see the pokemon world can get super dark due to some dex entries and also some BTS story lines but at the same time the game makes it all rainbow and gumdrops.

Why would they do that, Pokemon should stay at family-friendly one, because there are lot of childrens who are new to the Pokemon franchise, so Pokemon should remained at family-friendly.

(sorry for my poor English)

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
Years
Why would they do that, Pokemon should stay at family-friendly one, because there are lot of childrens who are new to the Pokemon franchise, so Pokemon should remained at family-friendly.

(sorry for my poor English)

As I said kid friendly does not mean over the top like it has been the last two gens. Lots of stuff are family friendly and not over the top sugar and gum drops. In fact being darker would be more family friendly since it would show the world in different views allowing kids to have conversations with parents. By keeping it all happy 24/7 kids get a false look on the world. Which is why the older games are better. The balance of being kiddy but not shovering it in your face was nice. DP for example had fun little stuff like Barry's antics but also darker stuff like Cyrus. Maybe it was the shift to 3D that made it seem much less like it idk

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
Years
I, too wished for something like that, where Pokemon would take a leap out of it's "it's a kids game" phase, and I agree that Gen 4 is a good place to start. I'd argue that even XY wasn't too bad, with its grim-dark theme (literally world annihilation and genocide). The only problem with the games was the excessively friendly rivals and overall ease of the game. I really hate the kiddy themes that games like Let's Go put out, but it's tolerable and sometimes even funny. But if this game isn't like its predecessors, then it likely won't be targeted towards children, and it won't have all the useless kiddy stuff. It won't be dark or mature, per se, but it will be like the older games, where things aren't sugarcoated. Also, I really feel characters like Lillie shouldn't even be added, because it's really, really rage inducing, and builds up anger issues.

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
Years
I, too wished for something like that, where Pokemon would take a leap out of it's "it's a kids game" phase, and I agree that Gen 4 is a good place to start. I'd argue that even XY wasn't too bad, with its grim-dark theme (literally world annihilation and genocide). The only problem with the games was the excessively friendly rivals and overall ease of the game. I really hate the kiddy themes that games like Let's Go put out, but it's tolerable and sometimes even funny. But if this game isn't like its predecessors, then it likely won't be targeted towards children, and it won't have all the useless kiddy stuff. It won't be dark or mature, per se, but it will be like the older games, where things aren't sugarcoated. Also, I really feel characters like Lillie shouldn't even be added, because it's really, really rage inducing, and builds up anger issues.

My biggest issue with XY was how lacking it felt. The game could have done so much more more and things happended and you were left wanting more. The locked power plant doors and the ghost house were two that made me thing more plot would be involved. That and being able to explore more about AZ and the war is what I wanted. It is funny that XY never got a follow up game yet SM did and did not really need one.

I know many say Pokemon should not have real life elements but personally I love seeing real life stuff in games. Showing kids real world stuff but done via Pokemon would be a great idea. So much is messed up in our world today and for them to be able to do it via Pokemon to make kids more understanding and know the world is not all sugar would be fantastic.

Yeah though Lillie seemed so fanservice both game and anime.

Years
important announcement:

until the generation 8 games are announced/get their own forum, I'm going to go ahead and re-purpose this thread into the gen 8 speculation thread. go wild folks.

AveeVaporGlitch

Stuck In Unova
Years
Really what I want for Gen 8 is this

What I Want
. A region that let's you explore. Even if it is not open world that is ok. I just want something where you don't feel like you have to follow a path.
.The return of Pokemon evolving from or into older Pokemon. It helped connect the generations and make it feel more fluid. Plus baby pokemon are adorable.
.Older main characters for you to play and connect with. One thing I hated about SM is how young everyone is. Lana and Sophocles just looked so weird and it has this cutesty vibe. As I said I like baby pokemon since they are cute but they over played the cuteness with Gen 7 to the point it just felt weird.
.Don't make it too easy with EXP ALL. Leave that stuff in the less mainstream LG games and make THAT a series for casuals.
.Give us a good story. One that is truly fleshed out and doesn't feel meh. Throw in real life concepts too. Having real conflict in games or shows can truly connect with people and make them aware of stuff.
.DLC! I want it in some way. Even if it is just as simple as outfits or as large as as second region with story expansion. I'd rather DLC over a 3rd game in all honestly.

What I Don't Want
.No new Z moves. Just No!
.No hand holding. I'm looking at you Gen 7!
.No leaving stuff out for a 3rd game. The nice thing about LG is it can fill the slot of a 3rd game. 2019-Gen 8,2020-DP Remakes,2021-Skip a year,2022-Maybe Gen 8 part 2 since BW 2 felt like a full on new story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back