Competitive Pokémon The forum designed for all of your competitive Pokémon battling needs! Here you can battle, discuss, participate in events, receive help on your team, and much more!

Old November 22nd, 2016 (6:55 PM). Edited November 22nd, 2016 by Aurora.
LIVE, LOVE, L I V I O.
  • Battle Server Staff
  • Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
After getting bored of PokeBank OU (seeing Aegislash on every team gets boring after 40 matches) I decided to go back to my roots and try out the new Ubers metagame. It is similar to ORAS but there are enough differences to make it quite fresh. The metagame is still young, and I haven't done too much teambuilding or playing, but I've done enough to work some things out.

Some things I have noticed:
• Primal Groudon and Xerneas are still everywhere. Xerneas got some new checks, like Solgaleo, while Primal Groudon now has the near-indomitable Zygarde-Complete to worry about. However, Xerneas and Primal Groudon can still deal with each other's checks, which is nice.

• The buff to Mega Gengar (it gets its 130 Speed on the turn it Mega Evolves now) has made it even better than it was last generation, which is scary. Most notably, it no longer needs to run Protect, which means it can run Hypnosis + Hex + Focus Blast + Substitute / Sludge Wave. Speaking of Hypnosis, it makes Mega Gengar extremely dangerous; as Mega Gengar is so fast, it moves first most of the time, meaning that would-be checks such as Yveltal are vulnerable to being put to sleep - and because they cannot switch out once Gengar has Mega Evolved, it significantly detriments the opposing player and makes games somewhat mindless coinflips. This sheer usefulness, coupled with the -ate nerf, has also had the effect of making Mega Salamence more scarce than it was in ORAS.

• Arceus-Dark and Arceus-Fairy seem to be better than they were last generation. Arceus-Dark can take advantage of the new Psyspam offensive teams that are running around everywhere at the moment, while Arceus-Fairy fits well on Psyspam as a check to Dark-types; it can also deal with Zygarde-Complete, a very threatening Pokemon, better than most other Arceus formes (hi, Arceus-Ice!!!) Arceus-Dark, though, has a habit of being overhyped at the beginning of a new generation before being recognised as mediocre, so...

• Latias and Latios being rendered extinct has improved Primal Kyogre, although Primal Groudon still troubles it. Still, the nerf to Soul Dew has removed two of its foremost checks; it is still unexplored as of yet but I can see it acting as a rather threatening breaker. Primal Groudon also has less reason to devote a moveslot to a Dragon-type move on sweeping sets.

Have you played much Sun and Moon Ubers yet? What are your thoughts on the new metagame?

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 2nd, 2016 (2:49 AM).
LIVE, LOVE, L I V I O.
  • Battle Server Staff
  • Gold Tier

Well, Ubers is now a step towards being playable now! In yet another tiering decision in an attempt to make sense of the chaotic new competitive landscape, Hypnosis + Shadow Tag has been banned from Ubers. This relied on the precedent of Mean Look + Perish Song + Hypnosis being banned all the way back in GSC, when Gengar (and Misdreavus!!!!!!!) became problematic for similar reasons. This forces people to either run Will-O-Wisp + Hex, a Substitute set, or something of that ilk.
Old December 2nd, 2016 (10:50 AM).

Is there a reason why Hypnosis Mega Gengar became a problem now? I don't remember it being that common in ORA Ubers, buuuuuuuut that could just be that I never ran into it or something.

Also, have either of the new boxart legendaries made any significant impact or no?

"Heh, I'm not scared of you!"

D&DTourney6th Gen
Old December 2nd, 2016 (11:39 AM).
  • Battle Server Staff
  • Platinum Tier
  • PokéCommunity Daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nah View Post
Is there a reason why Hypnosis Mega Gengar became a problem now? I don't remember it being that common in ORA Ubers, buuuuuuuut that could just be that I never ran into it or something.

Also, have either of the new boxart legendaries made any significant impact or no?
I'm not one to confirm anything, since I don't know too much about Ubers. I think it may have to be due to the fact that Megas gain their increased (or decreased) speed on the turn that they Mega-Evolve. Before Gengar would have to run Protect and wait a turn to get its increased speed, but now it does not need to.
Old December 2nd, 2016 (10:40 PM).
Nyeh?
  • Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5qwerty View Post
I'm not one to confirm anything, since I don't know too much about Ubers. I think it may have to be due to the fact that Megas gain their increased (or decreased) speed on the turn that they Mega-Evolve. Before Gengar would have to run Protect and wait a turn to get its increased speed, but now it does not need to.
Sleep + Shadow Tag is now banned in Ubers. To put things in short, once Mega Gengar traps something that can't do much to it, it can spam Hypnosis until it connects, then eliminate the sleeping target with Hex.

Old February 14th, 2017 (5:39 AM). Edited February 14th, 2017 by Aurora.
LIVE, LOVE, L I V I O.
  • Battle Server Staff
  • Gold Tier

So after three months, I'm pretty impressed with the SM metagame. It isn't all that different from ORAS, broadly speaking, but the elimination of key Defoggers in Latias and Latios and the only usable offensive Magic Bouncer from the tier has made the hazards game somewhat more intricate. There is also slightly more room for innovation than there was last generation, and certain Pokemon that were quite mindless this generation have been toned down; Arceus-Normal is hurt by Choice Scarf Lunala's introduction and the increased viability of Mega Gengar, while the nerf to Aerilate means Mega Salamence is unable to achieve key KOes against some Arceus formes and Xerneas. Here are two things I have decided to try:

Arceus-Poison @ Toxic Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Recover

Arceus-Poison's immunity to Toxic and decent defensive typing lets it easily set up on or force out staples of balance and defensive teams, such as Arceus-Water, Arceus-Fairy lacking Earth Power, Lugia, and Alolan Muk. It is also a fantastic Xerneas check, as nothing but the rare Hidden Power Ground can perturb the hide of Arceus-Poison. Poison Jab hits Fairy-types super effectively and has a nasty 30% chance to inflict poison on Pokemon resistant to it that try to switch in. Earthquake covers Primal Groudon, Alolan Muk, and Steel-types that predict Poison Jab, nailing them for decent damage. Recover allows Arceus-Poison to continue to switch in throughout the match and harass passive Arceus formes. The Speed investment I use lets it outspeed and revenge kill Adamant Mega Lucario after some chip damage. Of course, Arceus-Poison cannot escape its rather bad offensive typing, so it struggles against certain Pokemon, such as Primal Groudon, Giratina-O, levitating Steel-types (Skarmory, Celesteela, Bronzong), Arceus-Ground, and Lunala. This gives it a bad matchup against offensive teams; couple this with competition from Arceus-Ghost, Arceus-Normal, and Arceus-Ground as a Swords Dance Arceus forme, and Arceus-Poison is a bit hard to fit. However, bulkier teams that are built around it allow it to really shine.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 144 HP / 100 Atk / 252 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

Choice Band Tyranitar is deadly, functioning as an excellent offensive utility Pokemon and, in certain cases, a lure. Crunch is Tyranitar's STAB move that tears through Psychic- and Ghost-types, while hitting most of the Ubers tier for neutral (and good) damage. Pursuit lets Tyranitar revenge kill threats such as Mega Gengar and Choice Scarf Lunala. Like Crunch, Stone Edge is a good move to throw out a lot of the time, as Rock resists are uncommon in Ubers outside of niche Steel-types, and also lets Tyranitar destroy Ho-Oh and Yveltal. Ice Punch is what sets this Choice Band Tyranitar apart from others, ensuring it is not completely dead weight against Zygarde that attempt to use Tyranitar's other moves for a free Power Construct. This set's EVs maximise Tyranitar's special bulk (in the event that sandstorm is up while Primal Kyogre is on the field, Origin Pulse doesn't OHKO!!!!!!!) while preserving its excellent natural power. This Tyranitar set is extremely slow and is, like all Tyranitar, still hampered by Ground-type moves, most especially from Primal Groudon, and Fairy-type moves from Xerneas; it is also vulnerable to Fighting-type coverage from the exact same Psychic-types it is meant to remove. However, non-STAB Fighting-type moves will have a hard time removing a healthy Tyranitar in sand from the field.

For the sake of entertainment:
Spoiler:

Vileplume @ Choice Specs
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 184 HP / 252 SpA / 72 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Grass Knot
- Moonblast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Rock]

Vileplume is by no means "viable", but it is at least fun to use. Grass Knot deals excellent damage to Arceus-Water, Arceus-Ground, and both Primals. Moonblast OHKOes offensive Yveltal if it tries to switch in while Stealth Rock is up. Sludge Bomb blows Xerneas and Arceus-Fairy apart. Hidden Power Rock actually OHKOes bulkier Ho-Oh after it switches in if Stealth Rock is up, which is something that Choice Scarf Shaymin-S can't do. The HP investment ensures that Xerneas cannot OHKO Vileplume at +2 after one round of Stealth Rock damage:

+2 252+ SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 184 HP / 0 SpD Vileplume: 249-293 (73.8 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

The Speed investment ensures that Vileplume outspeeds the uncommon maximum Speed Jolly Primal Groudon while Desolate Land is active, as Chlorophyll receives a boost from harsh sunlight.
Old February 14th, 2017 (6:52 PM).

Is Poison Arceus really viable in a meta where Primal Groudon and Zygarde-Complete are common/major threats?

"Heh, I'm not scared of you!"

D&DTourney6th Gen
Old February 14th, 2017 (8:20 PM).
LIVE, LOVE, L I V I O.
  • Battle Server Staff
  • Gold Tier

Quote:
Is Poison Arceus really viable in a meta where Primal Groudon and Zygarde-Complete are common/major threats?
It's somewhat viable as a Xerneas / Lugia counter, which can help some teams. It does struggle against the threats you brought up and needs a lot of support to work, but its somewhat unique defensive utility allows it to work well in some situations.
Old February 14th, 2017 (9:22 PM).
  • PokéCommunity Daily
  • Silver Tier
  • Social Media

I think Pheromosa could be used in uber. It has amazing speed and attack stats.
Old February 14th, 2017 (11:16 PM).
LIVE, LOVE, L I V I O.
  • Battle Server Staff
  • Gold Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiating View Post
I think Pheromosa could be used in uber. It has amazing speed and attack stats.
Yes, it can; it can anti-lead Excadrill thanks to its access to Fighting-type moves and Rapid Spin and is useful as a general fast attacker on offensive teams that appreciate something not named Yveltal that can pivot in and out with an actually powerful U-turn. You can also run it with Tapu Lele to make sure that it doesn't get smacked by Extreme Speed; Pheromosa outspeeds the entire unboosted metagame save for Deoxys-S, which is nice.

Sponsored Links