• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Duo-Species Challenge

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
I haven't played in while so unfortunately I don't remember much.
But I do remember:
Spoiler:

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 8, 2020
Update #1: Furret/Linoone - Fire Red
I accidentally deleted Tackle for Sand-Attack on Linoone and that's less than ideal with Linoone's poor PP on Headbutt.

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team:
162.png

Hunter the Bold Furret (M) @ Lv.22
Ability: Keen Eye
Scratch
Defense Curl
Quick Attack
Fury Swipes
264.png

Zedd the Hardy Linoone (M) @ Lv.23
Ability: Pickup
Sand-Attack
Growl
Tail Whip
Headbutt

woopermanstrikesback

Master of the House
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 22, 2015
Username: Woopermanstrikesback
Versions: Fire Red, Heartgold, Omega Ruby, Platinum, Black 2, X
Single/Ultimate: ULTIMATE
Duo: Golduck/Mr. Mime

EDIT: Fire Red has been completed. Complete log below in spoliers.
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2017
My sign up:
Username: Jacob1208
Version: Sapphire
Single/Ultimate?: Single
Pokemon: Zangoose/Seviper

Mid point progress report
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Finished
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Earfull

WildSalamance
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2021
Username: Earfull
Version: SoulSilver
Pokemon: Aggron, Manectric (Ill use them i basic forms at start and let them evolve in progress so that means ill use Aron and Electrike at the begining and I generated two random pokemon for more challange)

woopermanstrikesback

Master of the House
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 22, 2015
Since Fire Red has been completed, I am now moving on to HeartGold. I expect this to be the hardest game due to having to defeat Red with only two Pokemon, but thankfully this Gen is much kinder to Golduck. I will update this post with the log of the game and will notify when I complete it. Afterwards, I will move on to Omega Ruby.

EDIT: Sorry it took so long to to add the log. I wasted an ENTIRE day grinding for coins in the game corner to buy the TMs for Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. But alas, here is the mostly completed log of Heartgold.
EDIT 2: All 16 badges have been collected! All there is to do now is grind for Red! Expect an update later tonight for his defeat!
EDIT 3: Red has been beaten! The team ended up being Golduck Lv. 86 and Mr. Mime Lv. 88. Snorlax was the hardest by far of his team due to his massive bulk, and the rest were somewhat challenging but manageable with abusing their weaknesses and hail.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 10, 2015
Username: ThatRandomGuy217
Pokemon: Dragonite/Snorlax
Challenge: Ultimate
Games: Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2, Y

Gonna have an update after I beat Brock.

Update #1
-Started game
-Did intro stuff
-Got Pikachu
-Hacked in Dratini and Snorlax
-Trained them to Level 8
-Cleared out Viridian Forest easy
-Beat Blue with Snorlax in two moves lol
-Went back and grinded Dratini up to Lvl. 11 and Snorlax to Lvl. 12
-Bought Potions and battled Brock
Vs. Brock
Snorlax vs Geodude
Turn 1-Snorlax Headbutt
Geodude flinches
Turn 2-Snorlax Headbutt
Geodude Tackles
Turn 3-Snorlax Headbutt
Geodude flinches
Turn 4-Snorlax Headbutt
Geodude faints
Turn 5-Onix Bind
Snorlax cannot move
Turn 6-attack continues
Turn 7-Onix Tackle misses
Snorlax Headbutt
Turn 8-Onix Bide
Snorlax Headbutt
Turn 9-Snorlax Amnesia (to avoid Bide damage)
Turn 10-Onix unleashes energy
Snorlax Amnesia (miscounted)
Turn 11-Onix tackle
Snorlax Headbutt
Turn 12-Onix Bind misses
Snorlax Headbutt
Turn 13-Onix Bide
Snorlax Headbutt
Turn 14-Used Potion
Turn 15-Snorlax Headbutt (Thought he would unleash energy)
Turn 16-Onix unleashes energy
Snorlax Headbutt for the win
And really that's all that really happened that's major. Idk when I'll post another update, either tomorrow or the day after.

Last edited:

woopermanstrikesback

Master of the House
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 22, 2015
2/6 Gens are now complete in my Ultimate run! HG was likely the hardest mainly due to grinding, so I'm expecting some faster updates! I'll now start on Omega Ruby and trade over the duo as eggs, and the Exp. Share will be OFF for this run! I will update this post with the log, so get ready!

EDIT: The log is started! So far it's only Roxanne beaten due to a family emergency, but have no fear! More is coming!
EDIT 2: Sorry for the delay! Things have been pretty busy at school at whatnot, so progress will resume shortly. Now there's just a single badge left to get!
EDIT 3: Game complete! Steven has been beaten! Complete log below.
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 10, 2015
So I got further and earned 4 badges, and I had no problems with any of them really...
Snorlax made a splashing impression after demolishing Misty... welp, at least I tried to be original.
Dratini than makes his first major appearance when he wrap spams My rival to death, and Lt. Surge follows shortly after that.
Made it through Rock Tunnel with no problems except PP.
Crushed Rival using the combination of Dragonair's Wrap + Thunderbolt and Snorlax's Bubblebeam against Sandshrew.
Erika was easily defeated by Dragonair's Wrap + Body Slam Combo.
And now I'm currently about to take on The Rocket Base to get that Silph Scope.

Current Team
Snorlax Level 36
-Psychic
-Ice Beam
-Body Slam
-Submission
Dragonair Level 36
-Wrap
-Body Slam
-Thunder Wave
-Thunderbolt
HM Slave
Charmander Level 10 (Cut)

Snorlax Stats:174 HP/102 Attack/64 Defense/37 Speed/68 Special
Dragonair Stats:109 HP/84 Attack/65 Defense/70 Speed/72 Special

And that's it but I'm gonna try to beat Yellow tonight and move on to Crystal. If I do at least get 8 Badges than I'll update again.

woopermanstrikesback

Master of the House
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 22, 2015
With Omega Ruby completed, I'm halfway through the challenge! I'm moving on to Platinum next, so I'll update this post with the log of the game.

EDIT: Log has been added!
EDIT 2: Sorry for the delay again! But once again, I needed to grind for money to purchase TMs!

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 6, 2016
Username: ColourcodedGB
Version: Pokemon Ruby
Pokemon: Sceptile/Mawile

I will be playing Pokemon Ruby with treecko's evolutionary line, and a Mawile. I have no hacking devices, but since Mawile is obtainable almost immediately after the first gym where I'd be using trecko only anyways, I feel this is a fair set up. On my most recent playthrough these two Pokemon worked pretty well together, so I'm going to see if the two of them can finish the whole game, despite neither one being particularly good. If I even make it to the elite four, I'd consider the playthrough a victory.

Will update as I progress.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 10, 2015
Sorry I have not posted in like a week or two. I've just been busy with life and other stuff, but now I'm ready to start posting again. I beat Yellow which gave me no trouble throughout the rest of the game except when trying to manage my pp at the elite four, as I forgot to grab my elixirs and ethers out my pc x_x but either way Yellow is complete. Now onto Crystal. Hopefully this won't be hard when it comes to Red...

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 8, 2020
Update #2: Furret/Linoone - Fire Red
I could've done this faster, but I was quite busy. So it's a bit of a late update, but it's here :)

Screens:
Spoiler:

Team:
162.png

Hunter the Bold Furret (M) @ Lv.36
Ability: Keen Eye
Shock Wave
Slam
Quick Attack
Brick Break
264.png

Zedd the Hardy Linoone (M) @ Lv.37
Ability: Pickup
Covet
Water Pulse
Tail Whip
Headbutt

Years
Username: BGoldwax
Version: Fire Red, Heart Gold, Sapphire, Pearl, White 2, Y(eventually if at all)
Single/Ultimate?: Single for now until I get a spare copy of X/Y to use and make it an Ultimate
Pokemon: Dragonite / Lapras

I'm also planning my movesets in advance based on what I have used in the past since Red/Blue
Fire Red / Sapphire
Lapras = Surf / Hydro Pump, Psychic, Ice Beam, Thunder (in the past it was Body Slam)
Dragonite = Earthquake, Iron Tail, Fire Blast, Outrage
Heart Gold / Pearl:
Lapras = Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Thunder, Psychic
Dragonite = Fire Punch / Dragon Dance, Stone Edge, Ourtage / Dragon Claw, Earthquake
White 2:
Lapras = Surf, Ice Beam, Thunder, Psychic
Dragonite = Outrage, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Fire Punch / Fire Blast

Years
Username: Slaying Moon...
Version: StormSilver...a hack of SoulSilver
Single/Ultimate?: Single...
Pokemon: Gardevoir...and Garchomp...
If possible...I will be updating for this challenge via my YouTube channel...

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Updated OP.

Btw, I hope to have an update for this tomorrow.

Years
Username: Spoonacross (after name change goes into effect)
Version: Fire Red
Pokemon: Heracross & Pikachu

Edit 2nd Oct: Going to have to put this one on hold as not enough hours in the day! :(

Last edited:

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Hey man, are we allowed to use roms such as perfect soul silver, emerald Z, Blaze Black 2, etc? They are base games that are a bit more harder due to more pokemon available and a revamped move/learnset?

Yes, you can use those in both Single and Ultimate, as long the region and story are still pretty much the same.
Full Hacks however (new region and story, like Light Platinum) can only be used in singles.

Back