• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Do you think Platinum was a good addition?

Deceit

Toxic.
Years
Platinum added many changes to Diamond and Pearl, and really fixed the main errors it had, as well as adding new things, such as some differences to the in-game plot.
A full list of changes can be seen here: http://serebii.net/platinum/changes.shtml

Despite these changes, I still have some friends who keep telling me not to buy Platinum(I was planning to), as it is basically the same thing as Diamond and Pearl. Based on what I have seen, I think Platinum has many differences to Diamond and Pearl, but I haven't played the game much. So, I decided to ask you guys.

Was Platinum really a good game to add? Or do you feel that it needed to be more different than Diamond and Pearl?
-Did playing Platinum basically feel the same as playing D/P?
-Did the new features in Platinum really change the game for you?

Let the discussion begin.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I actually started my Gen IV gaming when playing Platinum, and I find out later that Platinum's storyline is more in-depth and different (at some point) than Diamond and Pearl (I think the part when Cyrus announcing something in Team Galactic's base is amusing, and also Distortion World), and I was surprised when I know that I have my very own villa (in-game). So playing Platinum for me is a different league than playing Diamond and Pearl.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
To me, Diamond and Pearl weren't the strongest games in the franchise for a few reasons, the main two being:

1. After Ruby & Sapphire, whose version differences went outside of just which Pokemon appeared and extended into almost having a different plot for each, Diamond & Pearl essentially went back to the simple "you can catch A in Diamond and B in Pearl." Version differences are very unique to the Pokemon franchise and to see them not be utilized was a major let-down.

2. Team Galactic was certainly threatening; probably the most threatening team of all! And yet, despite getting so close to their goal of ripping apart the threads of space and time, they did not seem very dangerous. And I'm not just talking about their bowl cuts--I actually think they had those silly hairstyles on purpose! But plot-wise, their saga just seemed to fall flat.

So, what did Platinum do right to warrant its addition into the gen 4 family?

1. Since DP lacked significant version differences, merging them into one game was seamless and natural.

2. Looker. Is. Hilarious. He adds so much to the narrative with his silly mannerisms, and through him you get to sneak into Galactic's hideout and hear a speech from Cyrus--adding Looker added more opportunities to get under the skin of Galactic. To really let their evil ambitions sink in, and not just have it passively implied to you like in DP. Even InterPol is involved! They must be bad. I guess trying to destroy the universe is actually a serious matter this time around!

3. Giratina! Unlike DP, with the Galactic arc ending in a battle with Dialga or Palkia and...nothing more, Giratina and the Distortion World not only brings the battle against Galactic to a stunning dramatic close, but also gives us a far more horrifying end to Cyrus: he remains, unaging, in the Distortion World forever! A thrilling climax and fitting end to the story.

And as if that wasn't enough, the Gym Leaders' parties were switched around, along with some of the Elite Four, which spiced things up from your previous playthrough of DP. Some areas received not only graphical updates but complete redesigns. And the new Battle Frontier added a lot of post-game content.

So yes, I do think Platinum was a good game to add. I think it was a great game to add. Platinum improved upon DP in all the right ways, and had enough new content to not make it feel like a simple repeat of the previous games.

luke

Master of the Elements
Years
Platinum added so much to Sinnoh that it's probably my favorite game in the franchise at the moment. :P It feels nothing like DP. It's faster, more Pokemon variety and a better storyline for Galactic make it feel like a brand new experience. And as mentioned Looker is a fantastic character who I actually enjoy seeing, even now on my 100000th replay of the game. And the team improvements for the Elite Four made it much better. Definitely the best sequel/re imagining in the franchise!

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
I agree with Luke, Platinum made Sinnoh very much interesting. And their new feature of Galactic being so close to achieve what they want, it was excellent. So no, it isn't like playing DP. And the new features changed the game yeah, it made it look better.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Platinum was a great addition, there were several new Pokemon thrown in, the Elite 4's team made a little more sense, unlike in D/P where Flint had two fire-types and the rest belonging to other types, so I'm glad they fixed that <3. Looker was probably one of my favourite characters introduced, with his cool attitude and hilarious but smart disguises, like dressing up as a boulder.

I'd have to say Platinum was amazing and felt much better than D/P and is probably one of my favourites of the series.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Platinum was a great addition, there were several new Pokemon thrown in, the Elite 4's team made a little more sense, unlike in D/P where Flint had two fire-types and the rest belonging to other types, so I'm glad they fixed that <3. Looker was probably one of my favourite characters introduced, with his cool attitude and hilarious but smart disguises, like dressing up as a boulder.

I'd have to say Platinum was amazing and felt much better than D/P and is probably one of my favourites of the series.

Pretty much this. I agree, Platinum was a whole lot better than D/P, actually felt like a finished game.

Years
To me, Diamond and Pearl weren't the strongest games in the franchise for a few reasons, the main two being:

1. After Ruby & Sapphire, whose version differences went outside of just which Pokemon appeared and extended into almost having a different plot for each, Diamond & Pearl essentially went back to the simple "you can catch A in Diamond and B in Pearl." Version differences are very unique to the Pokemon franchise and to see them not be utilized was a major let-down.

2. Team Galactic was certainly threatening; probably the most threatening team of all! And yet, despite getting so close to their goal of ripping apart the threads of space and time, they did not seem very dangerous. And I'm not just talking about their bowl cuts--I actually think they had those silly hairstyles on purpose! But plot-wise, their saga just seemed to fall flat.

So, what did Platinum do right to warrant its addition into the gen 4 family?

1. Since DP lacked significant version differences, merging them into one game was seamless and natural.

2. Looker. Is. Hilarious. He adds so much to the narrative with his silly mannerisms, and through him you get to sneak into Galactic's hideout and hear a speech from Cyrus--adding Looker added more opportunities to get under the skin of Galactic. To really let their evil ambitions sink in, and not just have it passively implied to you like in DP. Even InterPol is involved! They must be bad. I guess trying to destroy the universe is actually a serious matter this time around!

3. Giratina! Unlike DP, with the Galactic arc ending in a battle with Dialga or Palkia and...nothing more, Giratina and the Distortion World not only brings the battle against Galactic to a stunning dramatic close, but also gives us a far more horrifying end to Cyrus: he remains, unaging, in the Distortion World forever! A thrilling climax and fitting end to the story.

And as if that wasn't enough, the Gym Leaders' parties were switched around, along with some of the Elite Four, which spiced things up from your previous playthrough of DP. Some areas received not only graphical updates but complete redesigns. And the new Battle Frontier added a lot of post-game content.

So yes, I do think Platinum was a good game to add. I think it was a great game to add. Platinum improved upon DP in all the right ways, and had enough new content to not make it feel like a simple repeat of the previous games.

I agree with everything she said. Platinum was what we wanted cos of the expanded Pokedex, Battle Frontier, better graphic scenes and redesigns. They changed several Gym Leaders and Elite Four members teams, and also Cynthia's.

It became my fave 4th Gen game for these obvious reasons.

In fact, Platinum remedied all the problems Diamond and Pearl had.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Platinum has fixed everything DP had, making it worthy of the Pokemon name, and it's also why it's better than HG/SS in terms of type diversity, gym leader/E4 roster, and level curve.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Even having only played bits and pieces of Platinum, I could tell by far, that it exceeds Diamond and Pearl in every aspect. The plot speed, teams and graphics being just a few of the many good examples.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Without Platinum, I would hate gen IV honestly. Platinum was Sinnoh's saving grace, and along with HGSS coming in that gen, enough to salvage gen IV. Still my least favorite generation, but I can't say it was awful when you have Platinum in there. It fixed all DP's problems and then some. And I gotta give it credit for that. Really saved Sinnoh's ass there. lol

Years
Aside from playing a few minutes of someone else's game, I never played Diamond and Pearl before getting Platinum. Just looking and hearing about some of the changes, plus the additions like the Battle Frontier and Distortion World, it made me really glad that I decided to pick up Platinum over one of the original two.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
Years
Platinum fixed most of DP's problems, including the battle glitches and whatnot (except acid rain, for some reason...)

Anyway, here is a list of minor changes that improved the gameplay and/or competitive scene:
1. The rain/Thunder/Protect glitch and similar glitches were fixed. HUGE competitive impact, not much in-game since no one ran in-game rain that gen.
2. The game overall goes much faster, with less lag between move selection and execution.
3. Surfing is now at running speed instead of walking speed.
4. The level curve was much more balanced - no more having Lucian curbstomp your team with a Bronzong ten levels above you.
5. The English translation was more serious with less memes that would get you banned from Something Awful.
6. Elite Four rematches, the Battleground, and higher-leveled rival rematches are very helpful for level grinding.

Back