• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
Years
I'm having problems right now at Byron's gym for my ghost UMC on platinum. Can't get past his magneton, because it one hits me with thunderbolt.
Get a Focus Blast TM from Veilstone and teach it to Gengar if you have one.

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Ah, that would probably make things easier, thanks. Right now, I'm using a Drifblim (MVP, at level like 45) that knows Minimize, Shadow Ball, Payback, and Fly, and a level like 30 Haunter that I don't even know what it knows because I've been neglecting him. Its like Shadow Punch, Curse, Payback, Spite or something. Still waiting for another DS so that I can trade and get a Gengar. I'm eventually going to get a Froslass and a Dusknoir.

Years
I defeated red after a short(ish) break from the challenge! Charizard and his flamethrower.. Hate reds life.

Pikachu was taken out easily with Boulder. Couple of crunches and an iron tail and it was done. Espeon tried to give me a challenge. I sent out Scythe. Used swords dance and one critical slash and espeon was down. Venusaur was up next. I sent out Jet, and killed it with peck. Then, he sent out my only real weakness in this battle. Charizard. I switched between scythe and boulder, having them revive one another until flamethrower was out. I then used rock throw and took him out in a few shots. Blastoise, i started with Pinecone and used explosion, weakening him. I then sent out Philips and finished him. Snorlax was the final one. I paralyzed him with thunder wave, then revived Pinecone. I sent him out and he exploded.

Johto, is done! next up, Hoenn.. Or however you spell it.

My Final Team...

Boulder/Steelix

Level 60

-Iron Tail
-Dragon Breath
-Crunch
-Rock Throw

Steelix was easily the MVP on this team. He was useful throughout the entire game. I was planning on giving him earthquake, but I'm glad i didn't. I probably would've gotten rid of rock throw, and that would've made killing fire types harder. Gonna miss him on gen three..

Scythe/Scizor

Level 58

-Quick Attack
-Metal Claw
-Slash
-Swords Dance

The second best on this team. In the begging, i was about to ditch him. I'm so glad that i didn't. It wasn't completely smart of me to not put any fighting moves on him, but it worked out in the end. Not sure if he pops up in the next one. But if he does, he'll be on my team for sure...

Jet/Skarmory

Level 56

-Peck
-Steel Wing
-Swift
-Fly

I didn't think that he would stick in my team, or be useful at all. But in the E4 fights, he helped a lot. And i needed to fight them a few times so i could afford more revives, which helped me with red extremely. Hope i can see him again...

Philips/Magneton

Level 58

-Tri Attack
-Thunder Shock
-Thunder Wave
-Zap Cannon

He.. Well, it helped throughout the entire game. Especially during the E4, like most of my pokes. Looking forward to the 4th Gen so i can use his evolution...

Pinecon/Forretress

Level 55

-Spike
-Rapid Spin
-Explosion
-Take Down

He was actually the worst on my team. I could barely kill anything with him. He was most useful in the red fight, where he exploded and killed snorlax and crippled blastoise. If he's in the next few games, i might get him for his explosiveness...

After doing some research, i decided that i will play ruby, for mawile. Steel types are scarce in all the games, so i need all the help i can find. I will post an update when.. when i feel like it i guess..

560cool.

An old timer?
Years
SECO'S BURNING MONOTYPE !

Red -- Crystal -- Ruby -- Platinum

Well, what can boredom do out of people ! Anyways, this is the start of my script. I'm gonna try and keep you entertained !

-----------------------------------------
Start of : Pokemon Monotype.
Oh, what can boredom do out of people ? Make them kill somebody ? Murder themselves ?! No. It tempts them into doing a challenge. A hard one. A long one. A time-consuming one. The Ultimate Monotype Challenge (UMC). And thus, our hero from Pallet/New Bark/Littleroot/Twinleaf begins this challenge with the type of flames. From Kanto, to Sinnoh. And everything inbeetween ! ^^

"Battle hard. Battle fierce. Battle to the end !" (Dragon Guard Scanlations, 2008)

note : as a note to myself ...

RED font will be for Seco, the protagonist, while the BLUE foint will always be for the rivals. The Proffesor will use a GREEN font, while other trainers will have various other fonts. Pokemon will be represented by Trozei! sprites (eg. :t001:) and Sinnoh Pokemon will simply have their stat screen little sprite.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Pokemon Red Version : Part I
Chapter 1 : A CHARMing beggining

Yawn ... a new SNES ?! What's this all about ?

Hmm... there's a Potion in the PC ? Why ? What is HAPPENING ??

Hi there darling ! Ready to become a trainer ?!

Mudkipz ?

No, Charmiz ! I mean, fire types. Like your dad and my mother.

Oh. Okay. Bye then.

WAIT !! Oh, he left already. Silly ~ he has no idea where to go ! >_>

Seco was pleasently enjoying his 8-bit trip thorugh Pallet, when he remembered the thing that stumped any kids : you had to go out of Pallet to actually advance...

OHAIDER Kid ! l33t k3wl, r u teht Sek ?

Huh ? Are you Oak ??

Yah. 3n ma bra1nz iz utterly d3str0yed bay dis' k3wly kofii. Ah, w3r w3s aI ?
0 y3h, k0m wit may !

"The smart has the brains, but the stupid has the balls ..."

Seco followed the strange Prof. to his lab. Vector was also there

WTF ? Can you hurry ?!

Aye haz m3nt4lz pr0bl3mz, y'kn0w ? W3ll, p1ck a m0n hi4r !

RED LIZARD, PICKING YOU !!

Hehe, blu shelly crap ...

D1z r gr3it p0k3ymanz, rait ? Ya 2 wantz 2 haz a battlz ??

Yes, sure ...

Vector, how can you understand what he says ?

Never mind ... begin already !

YOU ARE CHALLENGED BY RIVAL VECTOR !!

GO, CRAPSHELL !

CHARIMKING...

Scratch !

Tail Whip.

Ya knowz d1r p0keymanz haz dif3rent stuf 3nd sum aderz ..

Shut
Up Already !!

And stop that language ... please.

Okay. But since I can't really c0ntr0...

HEY !

Okay...

Scratch !

Tail Whip !

Scratch !

Later ... Seco defeated Vector

Arghh... weak f****** shell !! ... graps, Seco... I'll "s(m)ell" ya later !

Seco's journey has just begun ! What does future hold ?? Who will he befriend ? Stay here to find out !

Charmking Lv.6

:t004:
Scratch, Leer.

Sorry for this really short update, but if things stay like this, I'll have thousands of posts ... better shorten these ! <3

Dragonsfreak

eevee raiser
Years
Update for my Fire-Run on HG

+++ departed with the ship and landed in Kanto.
+++ Entered the Gym, Lt. Surge lost to Volcanas Earthquake.

+++ next stop was in Saffron´s Gym. Shadow Claw, Crunch and Megahorn
freed the way.

+++ headed for Cerulean Town and the Power Station...oh Geez someone
stole a part from the Engine

+++ got the thief ad the Engine Part. Challenged Misty.
+++ thanks to Spitfire, misty wasn´t that hard but still nasty. her Quagsire
stood in my way.

+++ after my battle i brought back the part and walked to Celadon City
+++ do i have to say anything about Erica????

+++ now on the way to Fuchsia

Team Update will follow in my next post.

I need a bit of a change so i want to start a second mono Challenge this Time on Platinum

Name: Dragonsfreak
Game: Platinum
Type: Ghost

I´ll be trading in a misdreavus eg, cause she isn´t catchable in Platinum and i don´t want to ight a Gym leader with out a ghost.

austy14

Cannibal
Years
Well, here's my update: I've been busy and haven't played in 2 days. But I got back on today and am heading south to Azelea town. By tonight I hope have the 3rd badge at least, to catch up for my missed time. Also gonna work on a fancy challenge banner for my sig later... Current team: Pichu♀, 13; Mareep♀, 12. Gonna have another fun and most likely pedophile filled update tonight! See ya! ;]

myrrhman

Challenge God
Years
Right then, because I don't have to go many places to check my updates, I can focus more on doing my monotypes! So, I will continue my RBY Normal Monotype (Alakazam, you can add me to the ultimate for all the types. If you trust me, I'm on Johto for Grass, Poison, Ground, Psychic, and Rock. I'm on Kanto still for all the others (except Dark and Steel obviously). Going to finish up Normal Kanto right now (its basically a Clefable solo run, although I have a Wigglytuff I've been training).

Hem hem...
Made it to Celadon. Taught Clefable Ice Beam.
Went to Saffron so Clefable could learn Psychic.
Got Fly for Farfetch'd the Cut/Fly slave
Took down the Pokemon Tower
Took out Erika's gym in one round, but had to go back and heal for Erika (was out of Ice Beam/Psychic)
Erika fainted in 3 Ice Beams.
Because I'm awesome and know what's up, I got only the Hyper Potion, Full Heal, Max Revive, Protein, Card Key, Calcium, Carbos, and Rare Candy in Silph. Also beat Rival, got Lapras, and beat Giovanni.
One hit the Fighting Dojo
Used the Master ball on Snorlax
Beat Koga
O_o caught a Chansey. Got Surf and Strength, which I taught to Snorlax.
Beat Blaine after getting the Secret Key.
Went back and Beat Sabrina
Then Giovanni
Then Rival
Got through Victory Road.
Loreli didn't like Thunderbolt
Bruno didn't like Bubblebeam/Psychic
Agatha didn't like Thunderbolt/Psychic
Lance didn't like Ice Beam (although Aerodactyl did kill Clefable and I had to use a Max Revive)
Rival was really tough, and Alakazam almost ran me out of attacks with Recover, but I beat him... finally. Screenshots coming up.

th_screenshots.png

Oh boy we're not clear. Hopefully you can read it all.

IDoLikeMudkip

Master of Nothing
Years
It has been a busy day and here is the lowdown on what i have done.

The Story Begins:

-Started adventure as Mud and rival Flare

-Left pallet...wait was stopped by Oak

-Received Leaves(Bulbasaur) and left...oh wait cant leave the lab yet...stopped by Flare

-Promptly lost to a Charmander who couldn't stay away from Crit's

-Finally left Pallet and promptly got owned by a Pidgy. (they know gust on lvl 4, news to me)

-Got to Viridian received oak's parcel and returned it to Oak

-Received pokedex and was finally on my way to becoming a grass pokemon master

-Got back to Viridian and headed over to the Indigo Plato to face Flare, fail

-Go part way through Viridian Forest, returned and faced Flare again, 2nd fail

-Finally got through Viridian Forest, healed and returned

-Faced Flare AGAIN and as proven by they saying, the 3rd times the charm, finally won

-Arrived in Pewter, challenged the gym, and won on the first attempt with my only pokemon Leaves running right through with vine whip

-Started down route 3 and Leaves reached lvl 16, Hello Ivysaur

-Finished route 3 and entered Mt. Moon

-Caught the second member of my team Shrooms(Paras)

-After a couple hours of training, running, fighting, frustration, and reliving the horror that is Zubat i have gotten through Mt. Moon and have arrived in
Cerulean

-Going toward Nugget bridge i had a fateful encounter with Flare and won handily

-Attempted the Nugget bridge and won with a couple trips to the PokeCenter to keep Shrooms alive

-Finished the bridge and received Team Rocket invitation which i quickly and forcefully declined

-On route 5 added the next member to my team Oddish (Oddish) [oops, quickly find the name rater]

-Got to and helped Bill, who was convinced i didn't want to see his rare pokemon, but instead gave me the S.S. ticket

-Flattened Misty with the only pokemon seeing battle being Oddish who spammed the absorb

-Showed Team rocket what's what and received Dig
with a quick heal i was on my way toward vermilion

-Flew through the underground path and destroyed some trainers, and was ultimately sent all the way back up to Cerulean

-More fights and a couple heals later, arrived in Vermilion

-First stop in Vermilion would be the S.S. ANNE

-Cleared the S.S. ANNE allowing Shrooms and Oddish to evolve then ran into Flare and failed quite hard

-After failing for about five more times i beat Flare with a Poison Powder and an Absorb/Scratch combo MVP goes to Gloom for poisoning Charmelion

-Met the captain and gave him a back massage, in his gratitude he gave me HM01 for cutting

Quest for when the sun shines new: Lt. Surge

Current Team:
Spoiler:

Sleet

Forum Lurker
Years
I defeated red after a short(ish) break from the challenge! Charizard and his flamethrower.. Hate reds life.

Pikachu was taken out easily with Boulder. Couple of crunches and an iron tail and it was done. Espeon tried to give me a challenge. I sent out Scythe. Used swords dance and one critical slash and espeon was down. Venusaur was up next. I sent out Jet, and killed it with peck. Then, he sent out my only real weakness in this battle. Charizard. I switched between scythe and boulder, having them revive one another until flamethrower was out. I then used rock throw and took him out in a few shots. Blastoise, i started with Pinecone and used explosion, weakening him. I then sent out Philips and finished him. Snorlax was the final one. I paralyzed him with thunder wave, then revived Pinecone. I sent him out and he exploded.

Johto, is done! next up, Hoenn.. Or however you spell it.

My Final Team...

Boulder/Steelix

Level 60

-Iron Tail
-Dragon Breath
-Crunch
-Rock Throw

Steelix was easily the MVP on this team. He was useful throughout the entire game. I was planning on giving him earthquake, but I'm glad i didn't. I probably would've gotten rid of rock throw, and that would've made killing fire types harder. Gonna miss him on gen three..

Scythe/Scizor

Level 58

-Quick Attack
-Metal Claw
-Slash
-Swords Dance

The second best on this team. In the begging, i was about to ditch him. I'm so glad that i didn't. It wasn't completely smart of me to not put any fighting moves on him, but it worked out in the end. Not sure if he pops up in the next one. But if he does, he'll be on my team for sure...

Jet/Skarmory

Level 56

-Peck
-Steel Wing
-Swift
-Fly

I didn't think that he would stick in my team, or be useful at all. But in the E4 fights, he helped a lot. And i needed to fight them a few times so i could afford more revives, which helped me with red extremely. Hope i can see him again...

Philips/Magneton

Level 58

-Tri Attack
-Thunder Shock
-Thunder Wave
-Zap Cannon

He.. Well, it helped throughout the entire game. Especially during the E4, like most of my pokes. Looking forward to the 4th Gen so i can use his evolution...

Pinecon/Forretress

Level 55

-Spike
-Rapid Spin
-Explosion
-Take Down

He was actually the worst on my team. I could barely kill anything with him. He was most useful in the red fight, where he exploded and killed snorlax and crippled blastoise. If he's in the next few games, i might get him for his explosiveness...

After doing some research, i decided that i will play ruby, for mawile. Steel types are scarce in all the games, so i need all the help i can find. I will post an update when.. when i feel like it i guess..

I laughed so much when you said "He was most useful in the Red fight, where he exploded and killed Snorlax" :laugh:

Anyway... Toy Story 3 went on longer than I expected so I'll have to update some time tomorrow with my first proper update ;)

EDIT: What's the rules for Egg trading?
How many steel type eggs am I allowed to trade over, Steel types are pretty hard to catch so I'd rather trade a couple over at the start.

Another Edit :P : Just looked at the start of the thread, I'm assuming EJ's HG/SS monotype challenge rules still apply so I'll trade over some eggs tomorrow when I properly start my challenge.

Last edited:

Scytha

mass effect freak
Years
UPDATE! :D

Spr_3e_256.gif

Flamefist
Level 25
Peck
Ember
Double Kick
Focus Energy (gee, I really like it okay?)

Spr_3e_286.gif

Sporette
Level 26
Headbutt
Mega Drain
Leech Seed
Mach Punch

Spr_3e_297.gif

Whammy
Level 25
Vital Throw
Arm Thrust
Focus Energy
Fake Out

I'm just receiving Rock Smash, and I've beaten Mauville gym.

Spr_3e_256.gif

Flamefist
Level 25
Peck
Ember
Double Kick

Spr_3e_286.gif

Sporette
Level 26
Headbutt
Mega Drain
Leech Seed
Mach Punch

Spr_3e_297.gif

Whammy
Level 25
Vital Throw
Arm Thrust
Focus Energy
Fake Out

Last edited:

Scytha

mass effect freak
Years

Spr_3e_256.gif

Flamefist
Level 25
Peck
Ember
Double Kick

Spr_3e_286.gif

Sporette
Level 26
Headbutt
Mega Drain
Leech Seed
Mach Punch

Spr_3e_297.gif

Whammy
Level 25
Vital Throw
Arm Thrust
Focus Energy
Fake Out

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
my challenge will be all gens

Spr_3e_256.gif

Flamefist
Level 25
Peck
Ember
Double Kick

Spr_3e_286.gif

Sporette
Level 26
Headbutt
Mega Drain
Leech Seed
Mach Punch

Spr_3e_297.gif

Whammy
Level 25
Vital Throw
Arm Thrust
Focus Energy
Fake Out

Why do you keep on posting the same thing

Last edited:

.Hoenn

Banned
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2010
Look at my signature, sign me up for all i havent done yet

Scytha

mass effect freak
Years
UPDATE! (for real)

Spr_3e_257.gif

Flamefist
Level 37
Blaze Kick
Quick Attack
Double Kick
Bulk Up

Spr_3e_286.gif

Sporette

Level 36
Headbutt
Mega Drain
Sky Uppercut
Mach Punch

Spr_3e_297.gif

Whammy
Level 37
Vital Trow
Focus Punch
Arm Thrust

Fake Out

Spr_3e_067.gif

Jay
Level 37
Seismic Toss
Revenge
Karate Chop

Focus Energy

Spr_3e_214.gif

Nay
Level 35
Horn Attack
Brick Break
Fury Attack
Counter

Just beat Winona.

Last edited:

tachikaze316

Master of Procrastination
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 16, 2015
Ultimate Monotype Pt.7?

- Started with Totodile (Once again, slaving reasons, definitely not so my /flying types would have an advantage against the rival's starter)
- Got the egg from Mr. Pokemon.
- Beat the redheaded stepchild, erm...my rival.
- Delivered the egg to Professor Elm
- Caught a Sentret (Rhet) and Teddiursa (Teddy [Yep, real imaginative, well...looking back, they're all pretty bad.])
- Trained up to level 6.
- Cleared Sprout Tower easily, on to the gym

Leader Battle: Falkner
Team:
Sentret Lv9. Tackle, Defense Curl
Teddiursa Lv10. Scratch, Leer, Lick
Sentret defeated him solo...after 6 defense curls and a potion >.>

-Went south through Union cave
-Caught Spearow(Nickname pending)
-Onwards, to the Azalea Gy-hey, who's this jerk?
-Dealt with team rocket, now where was I? Ah yes, Azalea Gym

Leader Battle: Bugsy
Team:
Sentret Lv12. Tackle, Defense Curl, Quick Attack
Teddiursa Lv14. Scratch, Leer, Lick
Spearow Lv12. Peck, Growl, Leer
Egg
Spearow pecked both cocoon pokemon down, but scyther took out both sentret and spearow(I didn't want to use potions) Teddy finished it off and gained a level in the process.

- Okay, heal up and we're off to the Ilex For-what's that music
- Oh good, another battle with the redheaded stepchild...yay.
- Not much to say really, I think Teddy's slightly overleveled

Next Time! Goldenrod and beyond...also, maybe better writing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back