• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] Pokémon Alabaster (2nd demo out now!!!)

Alababal

Pokémon Alabaster Developer
Years
I downloaded this game and have been playing it for about an hour now and overall, I have to say that it's really good and I'm enjoying it immensely. The level of attention paid to detail is really something else, and the maps are quite nice. I'll provide more feedback the further I get into the game. Right now I'm in Autumn Woods.

Thanks! I do take pride in making the world as immersive as possible. Aside from maybe writing music I find mapping the most fun part of making this.

Hey i download the game but cant play it click on the game icon but it doesn't come up

I'm having the same problem as the guy above me. I successfully extracted the RAR, but when I tried to run the game.exe file, nothing happened. No prompt, no error message... nothin'. Running it as an admin didn't work, either. I also downloaded and extracted the patch to see if it'd work if I replaced the game.rgssad file already in the folder, but that proved fruitless, as well. I tried re-downloading the RAR and extracting it again, but encountered the problem once more.

Could you take a look at and maybe update the game download link?

An update will be coming soon (I want to say tomorrow but... we'll see). In the mean time you might want to make sure you don't have an antivirus or something like that blocking it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
So I've been playing this game all day and having a great time of it. Unfortunately I just ran into an error that makes it impossible to progress. After beating the tournament at the school, I got the following RunTime Error:
Spoiler:

It looks like you made a typo in the spelling of "Protein".

I want to keep playing so this saddens me, especially because the game up until this point has been pretty much bug-free. Honestly I'm tempted to open it up in RMXP and tweak the event myself, just so I can progress, but the game is encrypted so I can't. Total bummer. :/

Edit: I realized that the tournament isn't actually necessary to progress in the game, so I skipped it and have now graduated from school! Grinding is tough... one way you could balance the game a little more is to up the EXP yield of certain Pokemon, such as Happiny. I think that would make it a lot easier to train, considering the NPC with a Happiny that you can rematch. I must've battled her about... 15 or 20 times, I think.

Last edited:

Alababal

Years
So I've been playing this game all day and having a great time of it. Unfortunately I just ran into an error that makes it impossible to progress. After beating the tournament at the school, I got the following RunTime Error:
Spoiler:

It looks like you made a typo in the spelling of "Protein".

I want to keep playing so this saddens me, especially because the game up until this point has been pretty much bug-free. Honestly I'm tempted to open it up in RMXP and tweak the event myself, just so I can progress, but the game is encrypted so I can't. Total bummer. :/

Edit: I realized that the tournament isn't actually necessary to progress in the game, so I skipped it and have now graduated from school! Grinding is tough... one way you could balance the game a little more is to up the EXP yield of certain Pokemon, such as Happiny. I think that would make it a lot easier to train, considering the NPC with a Happiny that you can rematch. I must've battled her about... 15 or 20 times, I think.

Saw this just in time to add it to the next update. Funny think is even if you win the tournament, there is only a 1 in seven chance of you getting the protein. So obviously I didn't catch it in my testing. But it should be fixed now. As for the second part, I may end up doing something like that. One thing I definitely want is to put in wild audino's on all of the grass routes like the gen 5 games.

The game won't even open for me.

I went ahead and redownloaded the old version since a bunch of people are saying this. Sure enough it works fine for me, so it's a problem on your end. Again make sure you don't take the game file out of the main folder and that you don't have an antivirus deleting any of the downloaded files.

I just updated the game to version 0.4.3, which I will put in the first post. The changes are listed below.

~Fixed the random shadows that follow you around sometimes. Credits to TheKojo for figuring it out.

~Fixed the bug with the move round (hopefully).

~Fixed the tournament bug noted above.

~Slightly nerfed gym leaders Pit and Ellise.

The level curve is not changed (just to note). I've decided to finish up gym four first, and then if I need to I'll figure out how to approach that part of the game with the next major update.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 15, 2016
I downloaded the newest version of the game, but the same thing as last time happened and I couldn't open it on my computer. However, I was able to get it to run when I used a different computer, albeit the game ran really slowly.

Here's a picture of what my main folder looks like in case there's any way you can figure out the problem: http://imgur.com/Mqh0QBt. I made sure not to touch anything after I extracted it, and I turned my antivirus off. I'm running Windows 8.1, and none of the available compatibility modes work either, if that helps.

I really hope that you can figure out a fix to this problem, as this looks like an entertaining game!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 12, 2023
Is that Mudkip obtainable or is it just there to taunt us?

either way, I like the tone a lot so far.

Alababal

Years
I downloaded the newest version of the game, but the same thing as last time happened and I couldn't open it on my computer. However, I was able to get it to run when I used a different computer, albeit the game ran really slowly.

Here's a picture of what my main folder looks like in case there's any way you can figure out the problem: http://imgur.com/Mqh0QBt. I made sure not to touch anything after I extracted it, and I turned my antivirus off. I'm running Windows 8.1, and none of the available compatibility modes work either, if that helps.

I really hope that you can figure out a fix to this problem, as this looks like an entertaining game!

Everything is there as far as I can see. If you've gotten other essentials games to work you might want to try moving the Game.exe file from another game into the Alabaster folder and seeing if it works.

Also came across this after searching a bit. Might want to try following these steps if nothing else works.

Aside from that, I'm not sure what could fix it. ~_~

Is that Mudkip obtainable or is it just there to taunt us?

either way, I like the tone a lot so far.

Thanks! And yeah mudkip is a little shy. If you could just swim across that puddle though...

but in all seriousness mudkip isn't one of the pokemon you can take.

Alababal

Years
Well I guess since it's been a week it's about time for an update. This past week or two has actually been stupidly productive for me. I've completely finished the lighthouse story arc. I'm thinking about implementing a sidequest for it now, but it's a short one so even if I do it wouldn't take me more than a day if that.

Now I thought about dumping a bunch of stuff for this week's update, but honestly I know I won't be able to keep even a fraction of this pace up long term. So I'm going to split it up into several parts so that I have something to show you guys for at least the next few weeks. I'll update weekly for as long as I can, though I'll probably have to turn this to bi-weekly long term. For this week I have a few screenshots from inside the lighthouse:

The first image is at night and the second is during the evening. Other than that I don't think these images require any more exposition. If by chance anyone has gotten all the way to Vortelle town, or even if you haven't, really, you can infer quite a bit from these images.
Spoiler:

Lastly with each update for the next few weeks I'll tell you how to get certain event pokémon in the current demo.

As of right now there are only two places to get purrloin in the game, and both of them are event encounters. The first one you can get is at the academy, at the far southeastern end near the building with the cone in the entrance. It will only be there at night time though. It's one of two pokémon aside from your starter that you can get even before your first true battle (although you have to battle to get it so eh...)

Also I nearly forgot, there are two new bugs that I've come across. The first one only applies if you chose to play as the boy. If you battle Guy when helping Danny and Tara, you can't lose or you won't be able to progress in the game. This isn't a problem if you chose to play as the girl, but if you are playing as the boy make sure you save before that battle. The second bug is that the move fling doesn't work, so yeah don't teach your pokémon that move.

Wow that post was a bit longer than I expected. If you run into any bugs, have any comments/questions/requests/etc. you know what to do. ;)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 16, 2016
This game was so entertaining, the story, the event, trying to infiltrate the celestial base, really felt like a ninja. And the admin manage to convince me to join team celestial (amazing persuasive power). Trully amazing job on demo alone, doesn't even feel like just a demo. Cant wait for the games full release. Will it implement luka's Elite battle system by the end of the release?

Last edited:

Alababal

Years
This game was so entertaining, the story, the event, trying to infiltrate the celestial base, really felt like a ninja. And the admin manage to convince me to join team celestial (amazing persuasive power). Trully amazing job on demo alone, doesn't even feel like just a demo. Cant wait for the games full release. Will it implement luka's Elite battle system by the end of the release?

Glad you enjoyed it! You know when I test played the infiltration the first time, it was one of those moments where I was like 'woah, this is actually super intense'. Making it is one thing but actually playing it out is something else completely. Bt yeah I'm glad you enjoyed the demo.

Also, I do want to want to update the UI eventually, especially the battle UI. I'm not sure if it will be Luka's or not though. In time I plan on trying it out to see whether or not it handles gen 4 style trainers. That was my biggest concern when I first saw it.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Feb 16, 2016
Glad you enjoyed it! You know when I test played the infiltration the first time, it was one of those moments where I was like 'woah, this is actually super intense'. Making it is one thing but actually playing it out is something else completely. Bt yeah I'm glad you enjoyed the demo.

Also, I do want to want to update the UI eventually, especially the battle UI. I'm not sure if it will be Luka's or not though. In time I plan on trying it out to see whether or not it handles gen 4 style trainers. That was my biggest concern when I first saw it.

As a play tester, the game introduction into the academy (vs traditional hometown/Pokemon/professor) was really novel. Introduction in academy alone felt so complete. Then we get to do exploration, challenge gym, and towns has interesting event plot. Additional character introduction and the mystery keep us intrigued. The speech script pleasant to read. Gym puzzles are so well thought. Plot based on player choices = very very well done.

Normally base infiltration would be us overpowering a whole team of grunts which is boring and doesn't really make sense. For once, infiltration felt like a mini game itself. I went in like an idiot keep getting caught for first few times thinking that I need to find ways or events plots to battle them. Yea so much to say despite me haven't actually completing the game.

The game already feels very polished with the recent fixes. This is one of the games to really look forward. Thank you creator.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 1, 2016
Hi really loving this game.

Although quick question, I am stuck at the infiltration of the base. I'm at the part where there is 1 guard walking back and forth. All of the doors are locked and I have searched everywhere for a key. Any tips would be appreciated thanks.

By the way did I mention I really like this game.

Alababal

Years
Hi really loving this game.

Although quick question, I am stuck at the infiltration of the base. I'm at the part where there is 1 guard walking back and forth. All of the doors are locked and I have searched everywhere for a key. Any tips would be appreciated thanks.

By the way did I mention I really like this game.

Glad you've enjoyed it so far! ^^

For the part that you're at, you don't need a key. You should be able to just go into the building in the middle, the one with two doors. So yeah double check that.

If those doors say that they are locked when you try them that means the variable that stores where you are in the game got messed up somehow. If that's the case I should be able to fix it if you send me the save file.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 1, 2016
Thanks for the quick response. I double checked again and the double doors were locked. I sent my save file to your pokemonalabaster gmail.

Alababal

Years
Thanks for the quick response. I double checked again and the double doors were locked. I sent my save file to your pokemonalabaster gmail.

Ok so I think I see what happened. You can get on the bicycle path even if you don't have a bike, which is a mistake I made. That progresses you further in the story than you should be before you get your second badge. I'll fix it by the next update.
Edit: Wait no that's not right. Somehow you got to Nimagale beach when you weren't supposed to. Eh, I'll have to do some searching to figure out how that might have happened.

I sent you the fix for your save file. Unfortunately you'll have to go through the flashback again once you get to that part, so sorry about the inconvenience.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 28, 2016
Mac user here, I encountered a bug in the beginning of the game. After I go to my friend's house, when I return home with him the game goes black and everything freezes.

Alababal

Years
Mac user here, I encountered a bug in the beginning of the game. After I go to my friend's house, when I return home with him the game goes black and everything freezes.

Did you try moving after the screen goes black? You need to step forward in order to progress there (I really should make that event autorun..)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 1, 2016
I've been streaming this game on Twitch and I have not been able to put it down. Although there are some glitches here and there that were noted above, the level curve when using multiple Pokemon is really offputting. My pokemon are super underleveled and I don't know where I can grind for levels.

Alababal

Years
I've been streaming this game on Twitch and I have not been able to put it down. Although there are some glitches here and there that were noted above, the level curve when using multiple Pokemon is really offputting. My pokemon are super underleveled and I don't know where I can grind for levels.

Well I'm glad you're finding some enjoyment out of this game. As for the level curve I'm planning on putting out a patch tomorrow that will somewhat address that. It's a work in progress to be honest though. There are some things I want to do in the academy in particular that won't be done in a day.

If you got the white flute that should help with grinding, since I know the encounter rates are a low. As for places, I don't think the route pokemon are underleveled. Not really any trainers you can battle repeatedly after you leave the academy right now. If you want sidequests I can give you a few tips:

Before you leave the academy check the deep wood.
Before the first badge check the area around the Tycane City bridge.
Before the second badge follow Cassy.
Keep your eyes open between the second and third badge. Talk to people between the academy and Belmirage.

Back