• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga What got you into anime?

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Mar 25, 2019
currently got hooked on One punch Man, waiting for the next season to release though....

theclaw

Haruhi Mania
Years
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
The early Pokemon episodes. In particular the original characterization of Misty. I knew little of the Johto episodes, or their ill-advised efforts to soften her up, until years later.

My two cents? I disagree with driving too big a wedge between western and eastern animation. I'd always loved cartoons influenced by (TMNT) or adapted from (Mario) Japanese material, long before ever realizing there was a such thing as television in Japan.

Whim

king of weirdtropolis
Years
Aside from mainstream dubbed anime that I watched when I was a kid (Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Pokemon), anime never really interested me, and I'd even kind of avoided it as I got older. I've always liked things tangentially related to anime (like Pokemon), but I guess I always paid too much attention to some of the negative stereotypes that you see of anime.

Then about a month ago, a friend recommended a series to me, and I figured I'd give it a chance, so I downloaded Crunchyroll. It turned out the series wasn't even on there, but I'd already signed up for the free premium trial, so I wanted to find at least one series to watch. Fast forward to now and I've binged through 6 different series totaling ~120 episodes, so I guess there's no looking back. I never ended up watching that series my friend recommended, and to be honest, I don't even remember what it was, haha.

Pretty much this, but I started using Crunchyroll from the very start. Many of my favorite anime I started there. Then I started watching anime youtubers and there it goes my free time.

Zankew

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
Years
One Piece.
Its my most favorite anime and thats what got me into anime (and manga) it also inspired me to draw anime characters (i used to suck at art but now i draw really cool; especially manga)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
One Piece.
Its my most favorite anime and thats what got me into anime (and manga) it also inspired me to draw anime characters (i used to suck at art but now i draw really cool; especially manga)

Haha, same! I think I even said in this thread forever ago that another PCer spammed me until I agreed to watch One Piece. Still watch it to this day! :)

Zankew

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
Years
Haha, same! I think I even said in this thread forever ago that another PCer spammed me until I agreed to watch One Piece. Still watch it to this day! :)

yeah. kinda same with me. my friends used to talk bout one piece but i didnt understand a thing. i thought they were talking cr*p.
later i started reading the manga and i fell in love with it. i learned a lesson too~
never underestimate your friends' gossip (lmao)

Southparkthecoon

Pixel Lover
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 10, 2019
I'd say Death Note, I used to watch a reaction channel and he talked about Death Note a lot, so I thought I'd try it out. I loved it and I've been watching anime ever since.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 3, 2023
I've been watching Pokemon anime for as long as I can remember, but I never had any interest to try other ones until... Okamiden on the DS I'd say? It's not even an anime, but it got me interested in Japanese culture. A year or 2 later there was this guy in my wind orchestra that was reading Naruto during the break (he was on the Chunnin exam arc - Naruto VS Kiba iirc) and I thought "This looks neat!" So I started reading and that's where it all began.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 21, 2021
Mine was either Blue Exorcist, Naruto, SAO, or AOT. I really can't tell which I started first

Years
Back in the 90s, Syfy (or Sci-fi Channel as it was called at the time) would show an anime movie every Saturday. I don't remember what prompted me to start watching those other than "huh, those look interesting" since the whole draw they had for it was "cartoons from Japan!!", but some of those movies were the first times I watched anime knowing that it was anime. I had seen other series before that, but didn't realize they had come from elsewhere. I guess after discovering those movies, and then trying to find other anime to watch (very scant offering in my area at the time)...that's what got me into liking it.

Years
Sailor Moon was my first love. Grew up watching the American version and had quite the collection growing up. But when I really got into anime was when my friends in the 5th grade forced me to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion on Adult Swim at a sleep over after her parents went to sleep. After watching some of that, I immediately fell in love. Went home and tried to figure out how I could watch the entire series. NGE will always be my favorite anime because of this.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Sailor Moon was my introduction to anime, but I didn't go full otaku until college.

Imagine. I was a freshman in college, and could, for the first time, pull all-nighters without drawing the ire of my parents. Looking for something to watch late night in my dorm room, I stumbled upon Adult Swim back when nightly anime blocks were a thing. The big shows at the time were the first FMA, Case Closed, Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha, and others. Those were my "gateway drugs," so to speak.

From then on, the rest, as they say, is history. I began to research and look around, and find more romance and slice of life shows that Adult Swim didn't show, and that's when things really took off.

Back