• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo Game Boy Fanboy Club! (Fangirls allowed)

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I don't believe I've ever owned any classic version of Game Boy, sadly. One of my older cousins did have it, which she allowed me to try, but I wasn't exactly overly-obsessed with getting a hold of one myself. It would have been nice if I had one, but it's not much of a big deal. Though, I did eventually wound up with Game Boy Color, which is even better, and spent much time playing original GB games on it, with one being Pokémon Blue.

Would I consider buying an original Game Boy today if I had the chance? I would if I were to start a collection of sorts, but unfortunately, I'm not, so it would likely have to be a no. Well, at least for now. Seen a few un-boxed ones on Amazon some time ago (or was it eBay?), and they seemed to be pretty expensive, considering how rare they are and whatnot. I wasn't able to find used ones, though.

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
Years
I don't believe I've ever owned any classic version of Game Boy, sadly. One of my older cousins did have it, which she allowed me to try, but I wasn't exactly overly-obsessed with getting a hold of one myself. It would have been nice if I had one, but it's not much of a big deal. Though, I did eventually wound up with Game Boy Color, which is even better, and spent much time playing original GB games on it, with one being Pokémon Blue.

There was just something nice about the GB Classic which I can't quite put my finger on. It was just groundbreaking in my opinion. A console you can carry around? Yes please. Also it was built like The Rock. Not a rock, but The Rock. That being said, the Game Boy Colour was an amazing piece of work and I had quite a great time with that thing. The little plug on lamp that you could use for lights off Pokemon action was fantastic.

Would I consider buying an original Game Boy today if I had the chance? I would if I were to start a collection of sorts, but unfortunately, I'm not, so it would likely have to be a no. Well, at least for now. Seen a few un-boxed ones on Amazon some time ago (or was it eBay?), and they seemed to be pretty expensive, considering how rare they are and whatnot. I wasn't able to find used ones, though.

Yeah, I'd only buy a GB Classic if I were starting a collection, and I'd want to buy a boxed one, too, so that I could sleep easy knowing that my GB Classic has only ever been touched, once, by my hands, and now rests in a glass case along with all my other only-touched-once-by-myself collectibles. >.> <.<

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Username: R.F.
Favorite Game Boy: Original Game Boy/Game Boy SP (light blue color); hard for me to choose, to be honest
Favorite Game Boy Game: both Golden Sun games
Answer to current topic:
1. my first one was the original block, but in yellow (when I was 5 or something) bundled with Kirby's Dreamland
2. that was kind of expected. I'd say there is a 50% chance: they either die a couple of months after you buy them, because of some loose connections (my first one...), or you'd be able to break walls without even leaving a scratch on them.

Last time I used one of these bricks was a couple of months ago. I beat the final boss of Mystic Quest/Mystic Quest Advanture/Seiken Densetsu (whatever you wanna call it), just for the fun of using the original Game Boy again. You know they work, because you can HEAR them work. xD

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
Username: R.F.
Favorite Game Boy: Original Game Boy/Game Boy SP (light blue color); hard for me to choose, to be honest
Favorite Game Boy Game: both Golden Sun games
Answer to current topic:
1. my first one was the original block, but in yellow (when I was 5 or something) bundled with Kirby's Dreamland
2. that was kind of expected. I'd say there is a 50% chance: they either die a couple of months after you buy them, because of some loose connections (my first one...), or you'd be able to break walls without even leaving a scratch on them.

Last time I used one of these bricks was a couple of months ago. I beat the final boss of Mystic Quest/Mystic Quest Advanture/Seiken Densetsu (whatever you wanna call it), just for the fun of using the original Game Boy again. You know they work, because you can HEAR them work. xD

Welcome to the club R.F.! Members of the GB club are 50% sexier lmao.
Yeah my brother has the old brick of a Game Boy and I really want to dust it off and give it another go just for nostalgic purposes. I can't believe how sturdy they are. Actually I can lol.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 22, 2022
Username: epicassassin1811
Favorite Game Boy: The blue transparent Game Boy Advance
Favorite Game Boy Game: Pokémon Emerald
Reaction to Gulf War Game Boy?
Wow, and the 3DS breaks when I drop it from a foot off the ground. :|

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I would really love to play on it. I mean what's it for if it's still working but you can't play a game on it?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
I also saw it in person when my family went to Rockefeller Center to see the big christmas tree. I went inside the Nintendo center and saw it in its glass case and I was in awe lol.

Poki

Banned
Years
What are your thoughts on the original Game Boy?
I'd love to own one, as I am a huge Nintendo fan who just does not have the opportunity to possess most of their gaming products.

What was your reaction when you found out about the Game Boy that survived the Gulf War?
"Yo, I wanna keep in my retro item-filled shelf."

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
Topic Change

gameboy-color.gif

What are your thoughts on the Nintendo Game Boy Color?

I personally thought it was extremely cool looking and I got the kiwi (green) color one just recently. I never got a chance to own one as a kid because I was so fixated on the SNES. There's a lot of great games for the handheld too. Though I really like Pokemon Gold.​

VeranithasVI

I eat shades of #radred.
Years
The Game Boy Colour was rad. I had the purple one for so long I can't even remember. And the games that were released on it were groundbreakingly amazing at the time, e.g. Pokemon Gold, Silver and Crystal, the Donkey Kong games that came out for it, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc. I loved the GBC.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jul 22, 2022
I never had my own GBC, but one if my friends had the yellow one, and I was so amazed at the colored screen. {D:}

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
It's classic, and always will be. Game Boy Color is one of the consoles that set standards on how handhelds should be, I believe, and if it weren't for that, today's handheld consoles--3DS and PS Vita, for example--wouldn't have been the same, whether it be for better or worse. To develop, they have taken inspiration from things such as Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and other older handhelds.

Poki

Banned
Years
I love how the lime green one looks, and I am going to buy one for my future GB collection once I get a job.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
The GBC was probably the one I used for the longest time. Lots of Pokemon, mostly, my GBC game library wasn't that big, though. I had this dark green one, if I recall correctly.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
The GBC was probably the one I used for the longest time. Lots of Pokemon, mostly, my GBC game library wasn't that big, though. I had this dark green one, if I recall correctly.

Yeah throughout most of the Game Boy's lifespan, I mostly had Pokemon titles to keep me busy. Though now I play plenty other titles since I have the money to afford these games. :D

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm sort of the same; reason as to why I've gotten myself most of these Game Boy consoles is because of Pokémon. It's a very lovely series, and even though some of its games could border repetition, which I find many fans to be complaining about here and there, they're still fun to play nonetheless, especially when you've got new places to explore and newer Pokémon to discover during each generation release.

Even though I did get these handhelds primarily for Pokémon titles, I still went onto try others later throughout, and wound up liking them. In a way, I could be thanking Pokémon for this!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
I remember seeing a thread like this in another section and figured I would use it as a topic here. I got the idea from the current conversation in here.

Do you consider the Game Boy to be a Pokemon machine?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I have so many memories of playing Game Boy games and Pokemon is just a part of it. Whenever I think about these old consoles I think about playing Kirby's Dreamland (my first GB game ever), Mystic Quest (or, what it's called in America: Final Fantasy Adventure), Sonic Advance (still the only Sonic game I ever played and finished), Golden Sun (still my most favorite GB game ever), Tales of Phantasia (good graphics and fun gameplay despite being a mediocre PS1 port) and a couple more.
Sure a lot of times I played different Pokemon games, but by far not enough to define the Game Boy consoles to be Pokemon machines (as opposed to the 3DS, which, for me, is a console solely to play Pokemon).

Back