• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Episode Discussion] SM 43 Discussion

Years
It shows only 43 episodes because we still don't have any news/information about the next episodes yet. You can also check the Episode Disccusion subforum to learn about upcoming episodes

I am saying it because the info for 42-43 was revealed almost a month ago (or may be even earlier). And if there will be episode 44 in this season it will be up in 12 days and we still don't have any information on it.
So it may be a possibility that this season will have only 43 episodes.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
This maybe the first episode of SM that could actually be good. Hope i am not wrong. I want a decent battle. Just pray Team rocket does not ruin it.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
I am saying it because the info for 42-43 was revealed almost a month ago (or may be even earlier). And if there will be episode 44 in this season it will be up in 12 days and we still don't have any information on it.
So it may be a possibility that this season will have only 43 episodes.

In Japan, the episode titles are released towards the end of the preceding month (so for September, those titles will be released towards the end of August).

There just so happens to be a break on the 28th so that's why there is no information.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
When looking at the end of Episode 42, am I wrong to say that the Cerulean Gym looks different than what I remember? Not only is the iconic Dewgong gone but the inside looks to be completely different than what I remember. Anyone think there is some "gaming" reason behind it or is it no big deal?

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Team Rocket were wasted and really should have just stayed in Alola. The Mega Stones also came out of nowhere.

Other than that I really enjoyed the episode. Misty/Brock teasing Ash about his pity badges (that everyone else got), the small battles between the non-battlers, the intense battles between Brock/Kiawe and Misty/Ash and Jigglypuff tease at the very end.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
I guess the badges could have be given as a souvenir from Kanto? Though I'm fairly sure that would be against the Pokémon Gym rules. But whatever...

Overall, I thought this was a pretty solid episode with a lot of action.
I haven't noticed as much in previous episodes but Ash's battle against Misty showed me that has not lost too much of his Kalos level of competence in battle. Outside of it, unfortunately...

Not so sure how I feel about Jigglypuff returning. I find it one of the lesser gags of the early Pokémon series.

Years
I am actually happy that Jigglypuff followed the gang to Alola cause I had predicted it in another thread

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Everyone's so busy with get-together. Seems like no one is that very interested about epiosde 43

I just watched it without subs(will do so again tomorrow or Saturday with subs) and I must say it went down like I thought it would between Kiawe, Brock, Ash and Misty. What I didn't expect was Misty battling Mallow and Lana(wish that had gone to a completion with Lana giving her a dose of Waterium-Z) while Brock battled Lillie and Sophocles. Lillie looked timid in her first true trainer/Gym Battle(not a good sign with the Aether arc ahead of her) while Sophocles... ugh seriously find me a gun so I can put him out of his misery.

Brock represented the Gym Leader profession well, even tanking a Z-Move while Misty gave a decent fight but Ash beat her with his Z-Move. Either her Gyrados isn't as strong as Brock's Steelix or Ash's Pikachu is stronger than Kiawe's Turtonator. I know Weedle is going to be pissed knowing Misty is stuck at the Gym still. However the possibility of Brock and Misty returning is above average since I believe Ash invited them to Alola.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
Last edited:

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
Brock removed his shirt... call back to his original R&B sprite
Spr_RG_Brock.png

just like how the swimsuit under misty's outfit is a blue variant of the one she wore in the OG games
Spr_RG_Misty.png

gU0FvPi.jpg

b2L6uSU.jpg

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
look everyone knows i have little to no nostalgia for kanto but aw misty and brock were so sweet ;w; i do love them and seeing them in this fluid animation style and with a more... 2017 approach to characterization was so good <3 <3

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
All of the Gym matches in this episode are pretty good! Even though I wouldn't call the early badges that Ash got as pity badges, I think Ash did got these because of something that he and Pikachu did back then. But then Ash did get them in unusual ways.

Spoiler: How Ash got Boulder and Cascade Badges
Ash got his Boulder Badge for throwing the match while admitting he needs to fight fair and square after the sprinkler incident (and I think it's also for Brock's wishes to fulfill his dream, iirc), and he got Cascade Badge because Pikachu refused to battle Misty back then because they were traveling companions (which means Ash couldn't use super effective moves against Misty in that match, and have to resort using Butterfree and Pidgeotto instead).

And it's nice to see Psyduck and its antics back :psy copy:

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
If they hadn't shoves so much Kanto stuff down our throats in the last 2 generations, I think I would have enjoyed this more. I like Misty, but I prefer most other traveling companions and I am just sick of Brock. But it was nice to see at least Misty. Brock could have stayed away.

I also don't like that they didn't show more of Ash's pokemon. I would have at least liked to have seen all of his Johto pokemon. Though, I still have to give them props for mentioning Larvitar.

As for the gyms, it is what was expected, we already knew he hadn't lost most of his experience, he is just acting stupid with normal day things, which honestly isn't that hard to believe since we never really saw him do many normal day things.

Even though I don't care for Brock, him taking off his shirt was an extremely awesome throwback.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Showing off the OG companions' strength demonstrates how far they've gone since the original series, making the entire SM companions look like pushovers, even Kiawe. Only Ash could stand toe-to-toe with either of them, and speaking of which:

Brock represented the Gym Leader profession well, even tanking a Z-Move while Misty gave a decent fight but Ash beat her with his Z-Move. Either her Gyrados isn't as strong as Brock's Steelix or Ash's Pikachu is stronger than Kiawe's Turtonator.

Her Gyarados isn't as strong as Brock's Steelix because come on, its moveset is special-oriented and Gyarados has low SpA stats. Not to mention its Mega Evolution isn't as tanky as Mega Steelix and Ash defeated a Mega Gyarados before in XYZ, so Pikachu could easily it take down with its Z-Move.

And it looks like Jigglypuff will be making a comeback for the rest of this saga thus giving her more relevance to stay in the Smash Bros. roster for the next game.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Mar 20, 2020
This episode will have no impact on the anime whatsoever, since the writers will just reset Ash after the Alola saga ends, making this episode and all of the Sun and Moon anime filler.

Don't waste time.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
LOL what? How is it filler? Please explain :rolleyes2:

While it?s nice to see Brock and Misty again, these Episodes were indeed filler. They didn?t advance the plot but were rather paying homage to where it all started by bringing back the two companions that supported Ash early on in his Pokemon Trainer career. The amount of Easter Eggs in these two Episodes were plentiful, particularly in Episode 43 with Brock taking off his shirt and crossing his arms like in the game(same deal with Misty). Whether or not they intend to bring back both in a future Episode or two, much less other past companions remains to be seen.

Edit* The only argument that can be made about it having some purpose towards the series was Kakui stating that he?d like to form an Alola League. Outside of that, this was purely filler.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
This episode will have no impact on the anime whatsoever, since the writers will just reset Ash after the Alola saga ends, making this episode and all of the Sun and Moon anime filler.

Don't waste time.

Not necessarily. We do know that the guy in charge of that school was inspired to create an actual Pok?mon League in Alola because of the match, so there's that to look out for (especially if this turns out to be the league Ash wins).

Besides, they did hint that Misty and Brock would reappear in Alola in the ending, and since Jigglypuff definitely is a recurring character here, I'd say it's at least important for that reason alone.

Edit* The only argument that can be made about it having some purpose towards the series was Kakui stating that he?d like to form an Alola League. Outside of that, this was purely filler.

That, and Misty and Brock swearing to Ash that they'll come see Alola, which hints that the SM writers aren't done with them yet. If we count Jigglypuff actually arriving in Alola and the trouble it caused the group there, that's also a "purpose to the series" the episode had.

Last edited:
Back