The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon: General Discussions Pokémon Gaming Central
Ice Types need to be IMPROVED!!!

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.
Sort Threads: Spinoff Central | Pokkén

Old 1 Week Ago (2:11 PM).

First off I don't know if there is a thread like this already (couldn't find one) and even if this belongs here.

So, I don't think I am the only one who thinks the Ice Type needs to improve. It is my favorite type but so limited in usage. It is even better to give non ice types ice type moves as coverage than having an ice type in your party.
    That's why I wanted to start this discussion.

In Competitive there are only really three viable non-legendary Ice Types: Alolan Ninetales, Weavile and Mamoswine. The role of Alolan Vulnona is in most cases just to set up Aurora Veil and get an Blizzard off if your enemy did not predict you would start with it. Weavile is a glass cannon revenge killer and Mamoswine can be killed off easily too.
    There are too many defensive Ice Types which are unusable.

My idea would be to give this type a few more resistances. I'd say at least one but I think two would be better. Dragon, Flying or Water could be added as resistance. But what I would prefer add only one resistance and give it a neutrality to Rock.

If we look at weather conditions Slush Rush is a very good addition to Hail and Aurora Veil is very useful. But every other weather condition has at least one more effect like Sun weakens Water and buffs Fire Type moves and Rain weakens Fire and buffs Water Type moves.
    My idea is do the same with Hail and Sandstorm. Sandstorm buffs Rock Types SpD and Hail should buff the Def of Ice Types.

What could be done also is buffing the offensive capabilities of Ice Types. Let's say not adding any resistance but cutting the speed of non Ice Types but 0,5x. The reason for this could be that Hail is hindering the movement of non Ice Types. Normally it would make more sense to drop the accuracy of non Ice Types in Hail but that would be too broken.

So that's my Ideas. I'd love to hear yours!
    And if this does not belong here please notify me so that I can copy this and paste it on the right place.
    Happy Discussion!!! :D

Relevant Advertising!

Old 1 Week Ago (11:28 PM).
    Ageha

Nature: Adamant
      Now when you say it, it makes sense, because I honestly thought that ice type already resisted water and flying types. O.O Can't say that I have used too many ice types (since they usually appear late in the game).
      I totally agree with you, ice type should at least resist water and flying types. Resistance against dragons would also make sense. Get on with it, Gamefreak! XD
      Old 1 Week Ago (12:15 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by LilyGardy.
      Queen Lily of Edenia

Nature: Gentle
        Ice type is largely fine as it is. The three things it is weak to (Fire, Fighting, Rock) make sense and Hail works fine as it is. Making Ice types neutral to Rock wouldn't make sense. If you want to stick a Rock Resistance on something then put it on Grass Types.

Dropping everything's speed in hail wouldn't work. 100% accuracy Blizzard is strong and all none Ice types getting hit by hail is nice for Ice types too.

A resistance to water would make sense though as to an extent would Dragon.
        Old 1 Week Ago (5:08 AM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Ageha1304
          Can't say that I have used too many ice types (since they usually appear late in the game).
          Yeah that's truly one of the biggest issues with Ice Types. They appear so late in the main series games that you don't have the need to use one. And of course there are other Types who utilize Ice Moves better than actual Ice Types.
          Gamefreak at least make an Water/Ice starter Pokemon please, show Ice some love.

Quote:
          Originally Posted by LilyGardy
          Ice type is largely fine as it is. The three things it is weak to (Fire, Fighting, Rock) make sense and Hail works fine as it is. Making Ice types neutral to Rock wouldn't make sense. If you want to stick a Rock Resistance on something then put it on Grass Types.

Dropping everything's speed in hail wouldn't work. 100% accuracy Blizzard is strong and all none Ice types getting hit by hail is nice for Ice types too.

A resistance to water would make sense though as to an extent would Dragon.
          Sadly Ice is also weak to Steel which are everywhere even as coverage moves because of Fairies but I am cool with having four weaknesses (especially to three great offensive Types Fire Fighting and Rock )
          But having four weaknesses with only resisting itself is truly disappointing. And it might be that Hail has a 100% accurate Blizzard option but Rain while buffing Water Type moves and weakening Fire has Thunder and Hurricane bypassing accuracy check too, both of which are amazing moves. I still think Ice should gain a resistance or too and Hail should get at least one more effect. Even if this is a buff to another Type it would at least make Hail a little bit more relevant.
          Old 1 Week Ago (12:30 PM).
          Ageha

Nature: Adamant
            Another thing I noticed with ice types is that only GOOD ice type are those with a secondary type like Weavile, Mamoswine, etc. I can't think of single pure ice type which I would willingly put on my competitive team.

That is so sad! I want to use Glaceon and other cool looking ice type in my competitive team.
            Old 1 Week Ago (1:47 PM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Ageha1304
              Another thing I noticed with ice types is that only GOOD ice type are those with a secondary type like Weavile, Mamoswine, etc. I can't think of single pure ice type which I would willingly put on my competitive team.

That is so sad! I want to use Glaceon and other cool looking ice type in my competitive team.
              If you look at all the cover legendary (trio's) like Lugia, Ho-oh, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina (both forms), Reshiram, Zekrom, Yveltal, Xerneas, Solgaleo and Lunala they are all in Smogon's Uber Tier. Kyurem-White is the only Ice legendary who is Uber. Kyurem and Kyurem Black are either OU or lower. The only non-ice cover legendary is Zygarde which is still OU. I guess that's because of his 4 times ice weakness. That's my Point. Even a 170 Atk Beast like Kyurem-Black is playable in OU only due to his Ice Type and having not a good Physical Ice STAB Move. I think that's showing that Ice Type really needs improvement cause the only competitive viable Ice Types are good despite their Ice Typings.
              Old 5 Days Ago (4:44 PM).

Ok here is my Final Suggestion to improve the Ice Type and it's defensive relevance:

Offensively: Remove Water's resistance to it, add Rock a resistance to Ice Moves.
                Defensively: Add a Water and Flying resistance to it

Hail buffing Ice Types defense by 50%.

You might remove or not remove the resistance Water Type has against Ice. But I think all other changes should be done.

PS: If you are interested in changes to the whole type chart in detail you can look at a Post from me on PGC
                Old 4 Days Ago (1:18 PM).
                • Platinum Tier
                • PokéCommunity Daily
                • Discord Moderoid
                • Developer

Nature: Quirky
                Competitive isn't really my thing but I don't mind the balancing of Ice-types right now. A lot of the time Ice isn't a type that's actually used on Pokemon competitively (there are very few Ice-types in OU), but Ice moves are quite common. Hidden Power Ice is definitely one of the most popular if not the most, but almost never used by actual Ice-types.

I'd assume this is because Ice is a strong offensive type that's super effective against a lot of different competitive Pokemon type combinations and the extra STAB given by having the Pokemon using the move actually be Ice-type isn't worth using up an extra team slot. That's an okay balance in my eyes.
                Old 4 Days Ago (3:39 PM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Rainbow
                  Competitive isn't really my thing but I don't mind the balancing of Ice-types right now. A lot of the time Ice isn't a type that's actually used on Pokemon competitively (there are very few Ice-types in OU), but Ice moves are quite common. Hidden Power Ice is definitely one of the most popular if not the most, but almost never used by actual Ice-types.

I'd assume this is because Ice is a strong offensive type that's super effective against a lot of different competitive Pokemon type combinations and the extra STAB given by having the Pokemon using the move actually be Ice-type isn't worth using up an extra team slot. That's an okay balance in my eyes.
                  Why is an Ice Type move a must have on every Team? We all say Ice is strong offensively but in reality it is strong against 4 types being Dragon, Flying, Ground and Grass and resisted by 4 also being Steel, Ice, Fire and Water.
                  The difference is that Dragon, Flying and Ground are amazing types used all over the metagame. So Ice has many opportunities to be super effective. In many Dragon cases even 4x. If predicted well Ice Type moves can be walled very easy. But if you don't expect any Pokemon to run HP Ice and put your Landorus-T, Garchomp or Dragonite (Which are 3 very strong and useful Pokemon) you are doomed.
                  So Ice is mostly strong because it is super effective against many Pokemon who are dominating the metagame.
                  Even Landorus-T is running HP Ice to counter enemy Landorus-T ^^
                  But being an Ice Type still sucks, which makes me sad...

Oh yeah btw, even though Ice Pokemon could be very 'cool' looking Pokemon, the only ones which imo are cool looking are Weavile, Alolan Sandslash and Kyurem Black and White. This type has so great potential design wise. Look at the only Ice Fighting type. Crabominable is a shame imo (sorry if you love it). A crab with paws? Really? The only Ice Fighting Type is a crab. Wtf Gamefreak you can do better than that for sure.

Quick Reply