• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your suggestions for Essentials

Years
@ IceGod

This is simple, first we divide the grid up into X amount of blocks:
Code:
x_blocks = map_width / world_map_width #(world_map_width = amount of tiles on the map)
y_blocks = map_height / world_map_height #(same as above except with height instead)
Now we can get the position on the map
Code:
x_pos = (player_x / x_blocks).round
y_pos = (player_y / y_blocks).round

This is the code I would use for things that requires a specific block.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
@ IceGod

This is simple, first we divide the grid up into X amount of blocks:
Code:
x_blocks = map_width / world_map_width #(world_map_width = amount of tiles on the map)
y_blocks = map_height / world_map_height #(same as above except with height instead)
Now we can get the position on the map
Code:
x_pos = (player_x / x_blocks).round
y_pos = (player_y / y_blocks).round
This is the code I would use for things that requires a specific block.

Thanks for figuring that out, I knew it shouldn't be too hard, I just can't math well.

I for one, prefer this method. It really makes more sense to me that splitting up a map into many pieces(Even though splitting the maps does help with lag), it just seems impractical to have to use four maps just for a completely horizontal route just so it can take up four spaces on the town map.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
3-This is really a pity that you don't understand the importance of avoid code duplicity. If the developers use your "small maps" concept, most of encounters code for a standard game are duplicates.
I do understand that code duplicity is a bad thing. However, as IceGod64 says, I don't really think it's a problem here. It's not real code, it's more like settings.

I suppose it would be quite straightforward to have a map check any identically-named maps for encounters, but it's really not something I'm going to spend time on because there's a very simple alternative (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V).

One idea I did submit to Maruno before was to possibly instead of using one map for each tile on the town map, possible set up the map position metadata to have two additional integeer parameters, one for it's horizontal distance in tiles, and one for it's vertical distance. After that, the player icon on the Town map could either just appear in the middle of that area, or in a relative area determined by the map's width/height and it's position and size on the world map, rounded to the nearest 16x16 tile.

I don't really know how a calculation like that would work, though.
It's not just about the player's icon on the Town Map; nest areas need to take this into account too, as would the icons indicating roamer locations (if you were using them). There's also the question of what happens to the above if you have an L-shaped map (or any other shape with "gaps" in it). Finally, there's an array which records the last few Town Map squares you've been on (currently unused, but could be used to show the player's trail) which would be smegged up by this.

I would suggest that the two additional parameters be the map's width in Town Map squares and a series of 1's and 0's indicating which parts are viable. For example, Size=2,101110 would be a 2x3 square map, with the top right and bottom right squares being unused (i.e. ├ shaped). The height of the map in Town Map squares can be calculated by the series' length divided by the width.

In the past this issue has been beyond my desire to investigate. However, I can have another look at it.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
L-shaped map
In the Pokémon world, I don't think that that's ever happened. Every turn would end up becoming a new route. I could be wrong about this, I only really remember R/B/Y/G/S/C/FR/LG/HG/SS's maps perfectly.

Either way, I like your method. It really extends the possibilities, and simplicity of mapping. I like the idea of using 1's and 0's to shape the map as well, it's very clever.

Edit: I've thought of another suggestion... Why don't NPCs have phone screen charsets? There should really be a way to define them to have an icon or something.

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
L-shaped maps came about in Gen 4, and there have been a number of examples since. You only have to look at the Sinnoh town map to notice two of the cities aren't square.

Edit: I've thought of another suggestion... Why don't NPCs have phone screen charsets? There should really be a way to define them to have an icon or something.
They do. They're called phoneXXX.png, where XXX is that contact's number. Oak has one.

Years
  • Seen May 18, 2017
I'd like the ability to set the Abilities for Battle Frontier pokemon in the PBS. I'm halfway done with redoing the PBS so that we have pokemon from gen 1-4 and a separate file that includes gen 5 pokemon for when those pokemon are eventually included. But I've realize how important abilities are for some pokemon and it is limiting not being able to set abilities for certain movesets.

Also, having special trainers show up after certain battle frontier streaks would be nice, but I have a feeling this is already possible.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen today
Also, having special trainers show up after certain battle frontier streaks would be nice, but I have a feeling this is already possible.
I believe that if you change the line '48,48,220,40,' in PokemonOrgBattle to '48,48,301,0,', the trainer 301 will be battled if you have 48 streak.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
I actually have a suggestion for Essentials.

How about the next release changes the saving of game data in the User/Saved Games directory via RTP.getSaveFileName("Game.rxdata") to just simple "Game.rxdata" in the local Game folder. I think having everything in one place is much better, plus recently I've noticed that doing something as simple as changing the title of your Game in RMXP can actually cause the load script to go weird.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
I actually have a suggestion for Essentials.

How about the next release changes the saving of game data in the User/Saved Games directory via RTP.getSaveFileName("Game.rxdata") to just simple "Game.rxdata" in the local Game folder. I think having everything in one place is much better, plus recently I've noticed that doing something as simple as changing the title of your Game in RMXP can actually cause the load script to go weird.

For me it's never gone 'weird' per se.
It's just made it so I have to do new game. But it's only because you've changed the name of the Title.

Maruno

Years
For me it's never gone 'weird' per se.
It's just made it so I have to do new game. But it's only because you've changed the name of the Title.
Same here. The only bugs you might have are due to the game creating certain brand new data rather than loading it from the save file (which is done even if you don't actually play that saved game), when you've done something to the scripts to make the creation of that new data go wibbly.

I considered this, but in the end I decided that all it would do would be to make the save files more accessible (which they don't need to be). So I chose not to.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
Same here. The only bugs you might have are due to the game creating certain brand new data rather than loading it from the save file (which is done even if you don't actually play that saved game), when you've done something to the scripts to make the creation of that new data go wibbly.

I considered this, but in the end I decided that all it would do would be to make the save files more accessible (which they don't need to be). So I chose not to.

I personally don't have any problems with any scripts lol, I use the old method to save data anyway. Someone did have a slight bug though and they asked me to look into it, and changing the destination where data is saved and loaded from fixed it. Fair points though, do as you see it fit.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
I was working on recreating a PokeNav today, and I was thinking maybe you could improve on rematching so that the trainer can have multiple teams (growing teams over time, set by the creator), depending on how many rematches you've had with them.

For example, Pokémon Emerald's rematch system consisted of 78 trainers with rematchable teams, all of which would become stronger until the 5th rematch, where it would stay thereafter, no longer becoming stronger.

Vs. Seeker in FRLG did something similar, depending on the trainer.

Maruno

Years
I was working on recreating a PokeNav today, and I was thinking maybe you could improve on rematching so that the trainer can have multiple teams (growing teams over time, set by the creator), depending on how many rematches you've had with them.

For example, Pokémon Emerald's rematch system consisted of 78 trainers with rematchable teams, all of which would become stronger until the 5th rematch, where it would stay thereafter, no longer becoming stronger.

Vs. Seeker in FRLG did something similar, depending on the trainer.
Rematches worked exactly like that even before I took over Essentials.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
Rematches worked exactly like that even before I took over Essentials.

I was having trouble finding the related code:
Code:
    rematchcount=0
    for trainer in @trainers
      if trainer.length==4
        rematchcount+=1 if trainer[3]
      end
    end

Perhaps make it easier for users to use? Because I sure as hell find it confusing.

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
I was having trouble finding the related code:
Code:
    rematchcount=0
    for trainer in @trainers
      if trainer.length==4
        rematchcount+=1 if trainer[3]
      end
    end
Perhaps make it easier for users to use? Because I sure as hell find it confusing.
Well, the wiki has an entire page about it...

It's all automatic, if you set it up via trainer comments. You need to create each version of the trainer separately.

PiaCRT

[i]Orange Dev[/i]
Years
^ I see now. Another suggestion of mine is something small for the world map.

When you're checking your Pokédex for random encounter areas, is it possible to use an image instead of the flashing red gradient over a route? I realize only a couple of the games use this, but it would be useful for some, nevertheless.

Maruno

Years
^ I see now. Another suggestion of mine is something small for the world map.

When you're checking your Pokédex for random encounter areas, is it possible to use an image instead of the flashing red gradient over a route? I realize only a couple of the games use this, but it would be useful for some, nevertheless.
Hmm, I think I know what kind of things you'd want to do with this. Obviously it's possible if you code it, but it seems too specific to be a feature of Essentials. That is, different games would want to use something like this feature in different ways, and there wouldn't really be a general way of going about it that would at least satisfy the majority of users. Plus, as you say, it wouldn't be a commonly-used feature in the first place.

If you can think up a generalised way of implementing this, I'll have another think about it.

JokerBen

Director of Pokémon Nobelium
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 29, 2023
Suggestions for Essentials

Suggestions for Pokemon Essentials​

I have a handful of suggestions for Essentials, and about half I can provide for (Red=Somebody Please do this!!! Yellow=I can look into it Green = :) I got it!)

Lets begin shall we?

BW2 Trainer overworld and battle sprites
BW2 ANIMATED Pokemon Sprites (Overworlds to)
BW2/HGSS/DPPt Tiles/Graphics
Gen 1-Gen 5 music in BW2 Sound

If you guys can add on, please do! Maruno if you see this, please consider it!

ChaosLord

Game Dev Wanderer
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 1, 2013
Um, besides some sound(For the attack animations), none of those things should be considered "essential" to make a Pokemon game. The proof's all in the fact Maruno pretty much mapped out x something maps in FireRed without those things(Plus the overworlds, battle sprites, and animated Pokemon are already "add-ons" in the resource section).

Last edited:

JokerBen

Director of Pokémon Nobelium
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 29, 2023
Um, besides some music, none of those things should be considered "essential" to make a Pokemon game. The proof's all in the fact Maruno pretty much mapped out x something maps in FireRed without those things(Plus the overworlds, battle sprites, and animated Pokemon are already "add-ons" in the resource section).

I've created a custom tileset with BW/HGSS/DPPt (Costum revamped Hoenn tiles included :) ) and along with the sprites that were already added on, I added the PWT sprites (Gym Leaders and Champs link And the music Link is made with FL studio

Back