• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Some Apocalyptic Science-y Elements Thing

Years

The Idea

Title - Periodic (im original i know)
Genre - Apocalyptic Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Planned # of Players - 5 - 6 maybe (smol)

Unscripted Premise
Basically this will be set in the distant future where worlds are really getting the tech they imagined in the past decade or so. The only things that weren't possible just yet are teleportation since that involves atoms and scientists aren't that great just yet. Imagine really almost futuristic city where shit looks pretty cool or something. But yeah that's the setting and it sounds like some neat city really the people are nice government is nice police are high tech and nice and all in all a nice place and you can see a clump of buildings at the far end of it (the only place where it's nearly deserted; a few houses are still there because that's the cheapest living conditions that are still technically the city) that houses the science and experiments.

Why did I focus on that particular part of the city? Because that's where the plot starts. Bit of backstory, scientists have been trying to figure out periodic elements at it's core. So molecules and atoms and all that business. It's getting into lowkey nuclear territory so they got placed there to keep people safe. So far so good, the scientists were having some sort of possible breakthroughs and researches using various elements, with the government's permission to call for human volunteers, as the ultimate goal for the scientists would be to harness the power of the elements to be able to use them like superpowers. It continued for a while quietly, there were few to no people rioting about it as no humans has been harmed so far.

Until one scientist in particular had a great idea, called the other scientists around the globe, proceeded with the experimentation, and then the facility blew up.
Like exploded. Crash bits and all. Nobody really expected it to go horribly wrong. It was a top tier scientist that thought of the idea.

Unscripted continuation: You
This is where I bring the "you" bit because you have to tie yourself to the story somewhere. You are someone who was near the explosion. Whoever you are, whatever you are, we don't really care. You can be the facility janitor and nobody would really blink an eye. You can even be one of the homeless who decided to volunteer because they pay a huge amount of cash. But anyway. You were near the explosion radius for some reason, and that affected you somewhere. Whether it hurt you a lot or you only managed to see it, again, we don't really care. You're still in the radiation zone, which is the important bit.

Fast forward to a few days, or even weeks, you begin to feel different. Something's affecting you and you have no idea what it is. The changes start small, only gradually affecting you the longer you let it be. For some, this means their skin slowly turning neon green and glowing, for others, this means having a faster case of a failing kidney. Anyway, you are getting weird powers and consequences! Suddenly, you hear an announcement over the television/radio/phone, explaining that you (among others) have been infected by a "virus" that essentially turns you into a mutant, a being with the abilities of an element in the periodic table. The details of it are a blur to you (I'll explain more when this is actually a thing), but you tune back in as they give action points on what to do when encountering someone like you.

"Run, hide, call the police."
"Or if you're one of them, head straight to the medical center."
"We need everyone to cooperate. This is for the safety of the world."

What will you do?

Highlights (Maybe)

I made GP write this part so it'll be better worded.
(Tho I'm the one writing the ones in parentheses!)

Optional RNG in Character Creation
There are two ways to go about creating your character. The first way is to have free choice over the element your abilities are based off of, the second is to select a segment of the periodic table and have your element RNGd for you. The people who go for the first option will only be allowed to pick from the more common elements (the really common ones, like the first ten or something I'm not totally sure I'll have to check this out a bit) while the people who choose RNG will be able to select any segment of the table to be RNGd from.

Plotcentric with a reasonable amount of choice
Periodic is very plotcentric but the direction the plot actually takes depends on you. The story of the RP could unfold in a multitude of different ways depending on the actions you decide to take as players. (Dw about having no direction of choice though there's always the GM-forced ones like you guys being locked up or something; also I have the ending scenes already planned sorta so there will be eventual choices to take-- as a group!!)

Pretty much unlimited Abilities
Your only true limit is the element itself and even then that would still highly depend on your imagination. (But it's not all abilities okay there's also gonna be consequences and stuff.)

No SU Reservations
That's a thing.

Scrapbox Thoughts

Basically stuff I thought about but haven't decided on whether to add it in or nah, probably nah because some if not all of these are a bit bs.

• DND/Escape-esque - okay maybe this one I might just get the things that can be used in RPing like the choices thing, creativity thing that's already in RPing so.. nvm.
  • Stats and/or Cash system - mayyyybe, just maybe but it's also probably a horrible idea but stats used to be a thing iirc it could be interesting
  • Death - also another horrible idea but i wouldn't force them completely out but they can either revive them through scientific means or randomize a different character

Thoughts?

pls roast me

Years
I think stats might be a good idea for the sake of scaling given that some people will have radioactive abilities and some will be Fluoride or Zinc or something. That being said though, if you do a stats system, how will you ensure that elements that are meant to be more powerful still come across that way without making things unfair?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
i
ah
/scientific chemist scream

I need to wrap my head around this.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
is this basically a zombie rp, but in the eyes of the zombies? Thats what I am getting, if thats not what it is i apologize. but i might give it a try.

Years
I think stats might be a good idea for the sake of scaling given that some people will have radioactive abilities and some will be Fluoride or Zinc or something. That being said though, if you do a stats system, how will you ensure that elements that are meant to be more powerful still come across that way without making things unfair?

I have a very thorough and detailed explanation of how these species actually work in a pad so thats a thing and will help with stats management

But basically the more unstable the element the more powerful they can be and the more consequences theyll have like actually deteriorating blood and all

is this basically a zombie rp, but in the eyes of the zombies? Thats what I am getting, if thats not what it is i apologize. but i might give it a try.

I thought of it more as an xmen esque rp but you have a really valid point lmfao it does look like a zombie rp

Only not everyone will get affected and youre not actually contagious youd think

Years
I have a very thorough and detailed explanation of how these species actually work in a pad so thats a thing and will help with stats management

But basically the more unstable the element the more powerful they can be and the more consequences theyll have like actually deteriorating blood and all

What about elements like Neptunium that are both unstable and highly dangerous?

I thought of it more as an xmen esque rp but you have a really valid point lmfao it does look like a zombie rp[/QUOTE]

I like this xD

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Okay this idea looks interesting, the "magic system" to go with it sounds novel because it takes a 4/3 spin (heh, see what I did there?) at the idea of Elements and it would be surprising in the first instance to see what do people come up with for their given element while working to maintain a sense of balance (I mean, technically the noble gases and Hydrogen would be... OP probably but hey, the difference between cool awesome character and deus ex machina Marie Curie Sue is how you play the character~).

Basically I hope this goes to a good start and progresses to be a thing. I could say ( ?_?)>??-?
I expect it to become something... (??_?)
periodical.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
dammit now i want a straight up x-men rp also

Years
Thinking back on it, I actually think that while some sort of guideline for abilities is definitely a good idea you'd be better with looser stats rather than those that are integral to the RPs mechanics.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
maybe like, idk if this was said or not. But kind of can turn this around in the story from them seeming as villans to great super heros and saving the whatever its called. idk, and maybe like they get stronger over time?

Years
xmen rps copyrighted soz

Yeah might do looser stats, just kini guideline to help people do stuff and shit

This wont be an average superhero rp though; its going to be plot aligned and there most likely wont be any clear lines of morality. Anything can happen in the future!

Back