• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kanto map almost 1:1 from FireRed (Essentials v17.2)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 3, 2020
Hi there, everyone!

I started to make a Kanto map copied from FireRed with the help of A-Map a couple of months ago, at first I thought to keep it for myself just to play a bit with it since I just recently discovered the awesome world of Pokémon Essentials and how to make Pokémon fangames with it, but then I decided to share it because maybe someone would need it, so here I am! ^^

Now, the file is a 7-zip 32,7 Megabytes, I uploaded it on Mega as a mirror/backup for me but then I noticed that here the attachment limit is 20MB and .7z is not allowed, so I'll just post the Mega link if you don't mind (and I don't think I'm breaking any rule, if so I will immediately remove the link!).

DOWNLOAD LINK
Here it is: https://mega.nz/#!NEsknC5J!xQm0GOxnqA7OqeKlE24I3PzPM_d_53zO8OvYJQh637E

Certainly there are some mistakes or something missing I didn't notice, as I am a human being, so if you find anything please tell me and I'll try to fix them and upload the project again!

At the moment I'm actually running out of time, I have to leave, so I don't think I'll be able to write everything here about explaining some things of this project and also giving all the credits of course, but when I'll come back home I'll edit this thread to make it complete!

Ok, let's start with some things to tell you, like what's included and what's missing, not in a particular order, I'll write as they come to my mind and maybe later I'll reorganise the thread for better reading:

1) The map is as 1:1 as possible, it contains both overworld and indoor maps up to the Hall of Fame;

2) It does NOT contain Sevii Islands maps, because I just wanted the "original" Kanto to work on, apologies for this if you wanted them (you're free to add them on your own of course!);

3) Almost all (major) events are missing, like the ones about the story and npcs, trainers, static encounters, all events in PokéMarts and PokéCenters like the clerk, nurse Joy, the pc, the wall map... ok, it's quicker if I just tell you what I made: all transactions (warp, teleport, whatever you wanna call it) from the overworld to an indoor map and vice versa are present, like houses, route gates, caves etc; I didn't set any major events or npcs because I'm thinking about making a game that has different kinds of events rather than copy almost all the ones in the official game;

4) I made the events for the spinning tiles in Giovanni's Gym and Rocket's Hideout, and the warp tiles in Sabrina's Gym and Silph Co., thanks to the help of other people (will be credited below of course) but I made a few tweaks of my own and I intend to make other threads about those events so others could use them (I'll add the threads' links here when ready);

5) I didn't put any credits in the credit section of Essentials (I mean the script that shows the credits at the end of your game) because, again, at first I didn't think of sharing nor showing this project to anyone, so you have to update it using this thread's credits as reference. I decided not to do it myself because I actually didn't save in my bookmarks a couple of the threads and websites I used for this project, so some credits would be missing anyway, so now I have to go search again for them (I hope to find all!) and eventually I'll update the credits here of course. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to plagiarize, it's just that I didn't organize myself better in advance before working on this project, I'm so sorry!;

6) Some minor tiles are missing but it's nothing crazy, like here https://imgur.com/4ZrsODh in the red circle on the left if you look carefully there's a shadow, but the tile is not present in the tileset, basically I should have made a tile like the one in the red circle on the right but with the shadow in the lower half, but I ended up not doing it because it's barely noticeable and I don't think you'll go mad about this. A couple of similar situations are here and there in other maps but I forgot where exactly, if I find them I'll update this of course, but again, nothing really noticeable;

7) Some tiles were missing from the vanilla Essentials tilesets in Graphics folder, so I added them (using GIMP, fyi) and put each new tile in empty spots near the similar ones or near their "tile group", like here https://imgur.com/SWKQe9V ;

8) I made some changes to small things like using different fences tiles to look a bit better/natural instead of using exactly the ones used in the game, like here https://imgur.com/N1HUKJZ and here https://imgur.com/bbEc6Lb but I didn't make drastic changes, just the singular tiles and nothing more;

9) You'll probably notice that, for example, in Cerulean City I called two maps "House 4" and "House 5", and you'll ask "but Defa, where are House 1, 2 and 3?". At first I just wanted to call all the houses "House x" but then, to better distinguish them from each others and since some of them are relevant in some ways, I decided to give specific names where possible and leave the "normal"/"not important" houses with their number intact; the numbers are given based on the location of the building in the map, starting from left to right and from top to bottom;

10) In the project are included a bit of additional/changed/updated files that have nothing to do to the map itself but when I decided to share this project I already made those additions so, well, take them as extras or gifts :-P these additions are mostly Gen 6 stuff like sprites, icons, items, updates to Pbs files like moves, items and abilities etc, I will gather everything and put the correct credits so check there to know what's included in this project;

11) I made a new script section called "Additional Scripts", the one before "Main" at the bottom, here I added some scripts made by others (check credits below) and some made by me, for which I'm going to make other threads like the events in point 4) so other people could use them (threads' links when ready);

12) In Graphics\Tilesets there is a file called "OutsideVisibleFreePass.png", basically it's Outside.png but the "Free pass" tile (this https://imgur.com/Q163u32 ) is not completely invisible, I needed to see where I used it in a Route map, so just fyi it's there if you need it; to use it, just change the file names, of course, easy peasy;

13) I didn't add any audio files, that's a pretty major thing, so I'm really sorry but you have to add your own for a lot of maps (I still set some basic bgm whenever possible, like the bgm in Gyms and Caves) and also for events like the spinning tiles; that's because I'm generally bad in audio choices and I work 99% of the time with my speakers turned off, so let's say I didn't care too much, I'm really sorry!

14) I didn't make any changes to the vanilla Essentials scripts, not even the intro or the credits, that's up to you.

--CREDITS--

Maruno: needless to say, his awesome work is awesome, there's nothing else to put it, we all just have to offer a piece of our souls to him, seriously.

Danny0317: thanks to his guide I learned a lot of things about Essentials and making a game in general, great place to start, really! Credits to all other people that made other guides linked in this thread, of course! All their work is huge and so helpful!

Rot8er_ConeX: thanks to his script here I started to understand a bit better how Ruby is used in Essentials, then I added his script in my project and I changed it a bit to my necessities and I also made other similar scripts, all thanks to this script that got me started.

Johto Blaziken: I used his map project as reference a couple of times when I had some troubles while making my map. His project is super great, definitely check it if you need a Kanto map with all the events of FireRed, it's like having a rom as base! There are Johto and Hoenn maps too!

Alaguesia & Pikachumazzinga: thanks for his jumping icons pack.

Alaguesia: thanks again, for this post that helped me better understand how outfits work and how to use them, I needed this for the spinning tiles and warp tiles events.

AurumDeluxe, ProjectPokemon, SunakazeKun: thanks for XY and ORAS cries pack.

Marin: thanks for his Pbs Shape Appender.

MrDollStake: thanks for the Mega evolution sprites in this post.

ferriswheel42: thanks for his elevator script, that made me want to make a "universal" elevator script of my own (which I'll share later).

Ulithium_Dragon: thanks for his warp tile event.

-----
Now, for some Gen 6 stuff, I actually can't remember exactly what resources I used and what I discarded, since I checked different packs when I started this project two months ago, so just to be sure I'll credit everyone I have saved in my bookmarks, their work is great anyway!

mej71: thanks for the updated Pbs files that I found here.

Deo: thanks for other Pbs files here.

Ego13: thanks for yet another Pbs file here.

Pokemon-Master: thanks to all the packs in this thread.

mej71: thanks again for the resources in this thread.

--END CREDITS--

I started working on this a couple of months ago, I didn't note down all I want/need to say here because, as said before, at first I didn't want to share this project, so probably I'm forgetting something to explain or someone to give credit to, I'm sorry! If I happen to remember something I didn't write here, I'll come back and edit this thread, and if you see other people's work that I didn't give credit to please tell me and I will update the credits right away! Thanks for understanding ^^

You're free to use this project however you want, add/change/remove maps and scripts, do whatever you like, just remember to use the credits written here for reference and add them in the appropriate script in Essentials. If you want to give credit to me, you are welcome but it's not necessary, I don't mind if I don't see my name in your game, really (-: well, maybe at least you could put the link of this thread somewhere so other people can use this project if they are interested ^^ .

Woo so much stuff, yeah, as I said in my introduction thread, I write too many words, sorry! If you managed to read all up to here, go to your favourite shop and tell the clerk "Defa said I deserve a free chocolate-chip heart-shaped cookie!"... no, I'm joking, don't do that please, but imagine it in your head and I'll be the clerk in your mind (-: .

Thanks for using or just checking my project, have fun with it! <3

Last edited:
Years
Hi, great work! Question: how do you create/change name of a mao you don't want? I also want to replace some of the maps with new ones I want to make. But when I change the name of, let's say, Mt. ember to Littleroot Town, all of the Mt. Ember maps names also change to Littleroot Town. Do you have an advice/tutorial you recommend?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 3, 2020
Hi Matz77!
Sorry, I think I don't fully understand your question. To change a map's name, locate it on the left side under the tileset, then you can either right-click on its name and select "Map Properties..." or left-click on its name and press spacebar. If you change its name, only that map's name will change, not other maps' names, even if you have two or more maps with the exact same name, since maps are tracked by their ID number.
If this doesn't help, please try to make a screenshot of your problem, maybe I'll understand more.
Also, keep in mind I just started using RPG Maker so I don't know every single thing about this application, I'm not an expert but I'll try to help you anyway and try to find a solution for you! ^^

Years
Thanks, I fixed that problem, but I found another one. After you ran out of names in the dropdown menu, for naming the maps, you can't add new ones? Because I have more maps I want to add but no more name slots, so to speak, to use.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
Years
Thanks, I fixed that problem, but I found another one. After you ran out of names in the dropdown menu, for naming the maps, you can't add new ones? Because I have more maps I want to add but no more name slots, so to speak, to use.

Sorry, what dropdown menu do you mean?

This person appears to be a ROM Hacker.
ROMs have a limited Name Space.

Back