• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Hey, I know you!

Why don't you like emulators, btw? Is it the...you know...guiltyness of using them? Or just the more mundane reason that they're slow...?

And I still can't beat Wallace!

Wallace brought me problems in my Normal UMC. I'd suggest changing up your team's moves a bit with a few useful TMs. I had to change my game plan three times, and I lucked out in the end. Anyway, if you show me your current team with their movesets and stats, maybe I can help you devise a plan. Other than that, I'll have my 1st update for Normal Pearl and Dark LeafGreen tomorrow...or tonight.

EDIT: Dark Ultimate Monotype Challenge - LeafGreen

197.png

Nightshade (Umbreon) Lv. 11 @ Nothing
Nature: Adament
Ability: Synchronize
Moves: Tackle, Tail Whip, Helping Hand, Sand-Attack

228.png

Fang (Houndour) Lv. 11 @ Nothing
Nature: Careful
Ability: Flash Fire
Moves: Leer, Ember, Howl

Up to Pewter City so far with 1 badge.
10elzj4.jpg

Last edited:
Years
An update of my Fighting Monotype challenge in Storm Silver:

- After beating Falkner, I got through the Union Cave where I caught a Machop.
- Took the quiz in the Pokecenter and won a Torchic.
- After that, I went to Ilex Forest to catch myself a Scroomish.
- Back on Route 33 again, I caught myself a Croagunk.
- Trained Torchic and Scroomish untill they evolved.

I now have a team of six Fighting Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Another part of my Ultimate Bug run in Fire red

- Defeated Lt. Surge with Parasect's dig
- Defeat Erika with Beedrill and Butterfree
- Went to the Gamecorner and got myself a Scyther named Knife
- Grinded Scyther on the Rocket's under the game corner
- Defeated the Ghost tower
- Got a Pokéflute
- Captured a Venonat named Venom
- Venom evolved into a Venomoth
- Obtained Surf and Strength
- Beat Koga with Venomoth and Butterfree
- Fighting my way through Silph co

Team:

Free the Butterfree
pkfrlg012.png

lvl. 40
Quiet Nature, Compoundeyes
- Gust
- Sleep Powder
- Psybeam
- Giga Drain

Drill the Beedrill
pkfrlg015.png

lvl. 39
Brave Nature, Swarm
- Pursuit
- Brick Break
- Twineelde
- Fury Attack

Mushroom the Parasect
pkfrlg047.png

lvl. 39
Mild Nature, Effect Spore
- Spore
- Dig
- Bullet Seed
- Slash

Venom the Venomoth
pkfrlg049.png

lvl. 39
Timid Nature, Shield Dust
- Leech Life
- Gust
- Psybeam
- Poison Powder

Knife the Scyther
pkfrlg123.png

Hasty Nature, Swarm
- Slash
- Swords Dance
- Aerial Ace
- Steel Wing

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
Update of FireRed

Huge Update

-Chose Squirtle, Nicknamed it Beast.
-Grinded it up to Lv. 10 after putting shame to Blue
-Got Town Map from Daisy
-Delivered Parcel to Oak
-Ground and Pounded Brock to Rubble - Squirtle is Lv. 15
-Went to Mt. Moon
-Squirtle evolved into Wartortle
-Got Dome Fossil (Kabutops will be in my Team)
-Arrived in Cerulean
-Helped Bill
-Challenged Blue, lost once (Bulbasaur!!)
-Beat Blue - Wartortle is Lv. 32 (I know but it's over-levelled, but at this point, it was turning into a Solo Run)
-Flushed Misty with her own speciality
-Went to Underground Tunnel
-Arrived in Vermillion
-Recieved Old Rod
-Caught a Lv. 5 Sassy Magikarp, called it chomp
-Painfully grinded him to Lv. 20
- Magikarp evolved into Gyrados
- Grinded Gyrados to Lv. 23 on Trainers
-Boarded the S.S. Anne
-Battled all the trainers and collected all the Items
-Wartortle evolved into Blastoise
-Gyrados reached Lv. 29
-Beat Blue
-Got Cut from the sick sea captain
-Caught an Oddish (HM Slave)
-Cut down Vermillion Gym tree
-Used Hydro-Electricity to Powerhouse through Lt. Surge
-Gyrados is now Lv. 30
-Went and got through Rock Tunnel
-Gyrados Reached Lv. 33
-Arrived in Lavender Town
-Saved

My Team
Spoiler:

Finally done this post.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Okay, I beat Emerald....finally. Level all of my bugs to 100 to beat steven, same attacks.

(megahorn/brick break ftw)

So I'm on diamond, and I just got piplup. I'm gonna catch a kricketot and a wurmple, then after the second gym, try for a combee and a burmy or two (one for wormadam, one for mothim). I really wish drapion was bug/dark.

Edit: Okay folks, I want to start a new monotype, but just as a break from the bug challenge. I'm going to do an ultimate dragon type, and I'm going to have to hack in a starter on each game, considering dragons are unobtainable before the third gym. So, for Kanto/Johto, I will start with Dratini, for Hoenn, a Bagon, sinnoh a gible, and finally an axew for unova. I won't use legendaries, so don't worry about that. I will start with hoenn though, because I'm really tired of kanto atm.

Sooo, here goes.

ULTIMATE DRAGON MONOTYPE CHALLENGE!!!!

START: I hacked a level 3 Bagon to start, as level modifying takes too long. Picked mudkips for surf, of course.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Doing Ultimate Bug! wish me luck starting with Leaf Green

Username: Thesyko501
Challenge:Grass
Completed:---

Last edited:
Years
@ Lt. Col. Fantastic

If you have the ability to trade for Gen II, you should think about hacking in a Horsea instead of hacking in a Dragonite for a second time. It's not my choice, just a thought.

Years
Still hate the gen V games, so my psychic monotype has to wait. Just started an ultimate ground monotype:

Username : viccuh
Single or Ultimate : Ultimate
Game(s) : Yellow - Crystal - Emerald - Platinum - White (2)
Monotype : Ground
Team : Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Graveler, Sandslah, Dugtrio, Marowak

I've been racing trough Kanto already and I'm about to challenge Blain, who should be a piece of cake ofcourse!

The team:
Spoiler:

TRiGa

Eeveelutions Rule
Years
Username: TRiGa
Single or Ultimate: Single
Game(s): Red
Monotype: Poison
Team: Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Arbok, Golbat, Muk, Weezing,

Last edited:

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
@ Lt. Col. Fantastic

If you have the ability to trade for Gen II, you should think about hacking in a Horsea instead of hacking in a Dragonite for a second time. It's not my choice, just a thought.

Yeah, I thought about that. But I really don't have a way of trading, so I'll probably just use dragonite until I get to Clair, then hack in a kingdra. I tried looking for a code that lets pokemon evolve without trading, but had no success.

Anyway, update on Dragons!: I'm in rustburo, but I'm having trouble with Roxanne. Bagon only has rage and bite, but I usually run out of PP for rage before I even get to nosepass, so five or six rock tombs finish me off before I can wear down her pokemon with bite. So, to the grinding room I go!

EDIT: I beat roxanne at level 15. :D

@KoboraX: Sorry, I missed your post. Yeah, wallace is a pain. But I managed to critical hit molotic with megahorn for the Ohko, and the rest of his pokemon fell fairly easily. Thanks for trying to help, though!

Last edited:

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Yeah, I thought about that. But I really don't have a way of trading, so I'll probably just use dragonite until I get to Clair, then hack in a kingdra. I tried looking for a code that lets pokemon evolve without trading, but had no success.
If you are playing GSC on an emulator, TGB Dual lets you trade between games. I started with Horsea and bought Dratini in Goldenrod. After I got the Dragon Scale from the back of Mt. Mortar, I trade evolved Seadra into Kingdra.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2012
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I am looking for suggestions for Monotypes for six games. Each person will be allowed to choose my type for one of the games. My goal is to play them all at a similar pace. The games are (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HG, SS, B)

Please pick a type that allows for at least six to eight choices. The more the better. Thanks/

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Rock Monotype Challenge (Pokemon Emerald) & New Challenge

Just a small update on my Rock Monotype Challenge.

I started with an Anorith named Armand so that I'd be able to get both fossil pokemon
Grinded till he learned water gun to fight Roxanne
Beat her and got the badge
Headed to Dewford
Caught a Geodude named Jude in that cave where Steven is
Beat Brawly and got the badge
Caught an Aron named Airen in that same cave
Headed to Slatport
And now I'm training to fight Watson.

Also I've decided to start a Bug Type Challenge for when I'm bored of my Rock Challenge

Username: James901
Single or Ultimate: Ultimate
Game(s): Blue - Crystal - Emerald - Platinum - VoltWhite
Monotype: Bug

I've already started and I'll update friday cause I'm not gonna have internet until then. I'll post videos for both challenges at that time as well.

P.S - Also doesn't anyone know the guy/girl that started this thread? If you do can you please get him/her to update the first post, its kind of annoying how he/she started a new thread cause the old one wasn't getting updated and now he/she himselfherself hasn't been updating and its only been like 2 months.

Years
Finished Kanto!
The pokemon league didn't give me as much trouble as I had expected.
Lorelei was the hardest, but Nidoqueens Thunderbolt did the trick.
Bruno was easily defeated as was Agatha.
Lance was a bit harder, but his dragon were defeated by Nidoqueens Ice beam.
Blue had nothing to be afraid of.

The team:
Spoiler:

So I just started playing Crystal.
Already got Rocky the Onix by trading a Bellsprout for it. Also a Wooper was caught that goes by the name of Doki. Going to challenge the second for now.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Hello Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I am looking for suggestions for Monotypes for six games. Each person will be allowed to choose my type for one of the games. My goal is to play them all at a similar pace. The games are (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HG, SS, B)

Please pick a type that allows for at least six to eight choices. The more the better. Thanks/

Cool people use bug pokemon, so I think bug should be for HG. Ariados, scyther, forretress, heracross, pinsir, and venemoth make an awesome team.

But the bug pokemon in black are pretty awesome too especially Leavanny.

Anyways, this makes me miss my bugs :( But I gotta finish emerald and fire red on dragons! before I can go to plat and black on bugs.

Update in emerald dragons! Beat all gym leaders up to Flannery. Then I got trapinch, evolved him into vibrava, and then battled norman. It was tough, but shelgon managed to play traunt to his strength with protect. Then I beat all of the other gym leaders without much trouble. Juan was suprisingly easy, since kingdra was 2HKOd by flygons dragonbreath. Shelgon finally evolved, and now I have two awesome pokemon. If its okay, I'm going to hack seadra to make him evolve into kingdra at level 50. He's 47 right now.

Sooo...onto Victory Road!

KadabraK

pokeboy
Years
  • Age 28
  • ohio
  • Seen Mar 29, 2020
Username: KadabraK
Game(s): FR -> Crystal -> Ruby -> Diamond -> White
Monotype: Poison
Team: Not sure yet, will work on it. Starting out with Bulbasaur obviously.

Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2012
Just getting started in Pokemon Red!

-Named my Bulbasaur Bully and officially started my challenge
-First Gym was easy peasy considering it's Rock and Ground types
-Evolved Bully after defeating Brock, yay!
-Trained Bully to level 21 along the path to Mt. Moon
-Caught a Paras and named him Perry
-Trained Perry to level 15 and I'm currently working through Mt. Moon.
-And Spearows are evil. So. Terribly. Evil.

Years
This should be tough :)
Username: wubwubwubwub (Wubz)
Single or Ultimate: Why not Ultimate? :)
Games: LG>SS>E>Pt>W
Monotype: Grass >:|
Team for LG: Venasaur - Victreebell - Parasect - Exeggutor

Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Username: Thesyko501
Games: LG>HG>R>Pt>W
Monotype: Grass

-Got Bulbasuar named him Zoidberg
-Beat rival(crits to strong!)
-Got and returned oaks package
-Beat rival 2nd time
-Made it through Veridiant forest
-Got to Pwnter city and beat brock
-Zoidberg evolved
-Beat all the trainers up to Mt.Moon
-cant belive i replaced tackle with sleep powder

Team so far:

Zoidberg
2.png
Level.18
Careful nature
Sleep powder
Poison powder
Leech seed
Vine whip

Years
I beat Platinum, but I can't post information until I've beat the 4 games before it (FireRed, HeartGold, Ruby & XD). I also beat White's main storyline for the first time. My new favourite main pokemon game.

Shouldn't be too long before my last FireRed Update.

EDIT: So, finished up FireRed, not as easy as last time I did it. I was a few levels under from last time I faced Champion Rival.

Okay, so getting there was easy, I used some moveset strategy to take them out, using Brick Break with Flame until I swapped it with Dragon Claw near the end. Nick (Rival) took a few tries to defeat, Pidgeot would heal up if I didn't be too weak, Rhydon would One-hit my entire team (got lucky once and left with 11HP) and Blastoise took forever before he ran our of Hydro Pumps so I could finally wittle down his health. The rest of his team was easy.

Team:
Spr_3f_006.png

CHARIZARD [Flame] Lv60
Naive Nature @Quick Claw
-Fly
-Dragon Claw
-Flamethrower
-Earthquake
Spr_3f_059.png

ARCANINE [Ashe] Lv58
Bold Nature @None
-ExtremeSpeed
-Dig
-Overheat
-Flame Wheel

Spr_3f_136.png

FLAREON [Flare] Lv58
Quirky Nature @BlackGlasses
-Bite
-Flamethrower
-Double-Edge
-Fire Blast

MVP: Flame; the CHARIZARD
-This guy won the MVP spot by a long shot. He was an overleveled beast at the start, and continued being super useful even when the others caught up to him. Then near the end, after he was able to learn Dragon Claw and Earthquake, he became the strongest by a long shot, being the one to use for pretty much every Elite Four fight, those extra two levels prove it. I named him Flame because I name my Fire Starters after something related to fire.

LVP: Flare; the FLAREON
-This guy was definitely the LVP. Even though near the end, I didn't know if it would go to Ashe or not, since when I first got him, he was a lot more useful then Ashe, but ended up being pretty average near the end, because of his limited moveset. But he was doing good for a Pokémon that is normally awful. I named him Flare, becau- it's obvious. Flareon.

Other: Ashe; the ARCANINE
-On my first Fire Monotype run, this guy was amazing. This time around, not so much. It was him or Flare that was getting LVP and he's lucky he wasn't. Unlike last time I used him, I found him lacking in the moveset department, missing two attacks that would've helped immensely (Iron Tail & Bite). I named him Ashe after Ashes. Not after Ash Ketchum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back