• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
Is there another tool that is like Sappy? I don't want to use the ELF method because it's a bit too complicated for my brain. And Sappy crashed when I assemble. Also, in pixels, what's the amount of pixels that are displayed when the player is standing in the middle of a empty map?
# of Pixels X
|----------------------------------------------|
| |
| | # of Pixels
| |
| |
|_________________________________|

Artist's Replication.

The GBA screen is 240px by 160px. In terms of mapping, this means that there will be seven blocks to the left and right of the player and 4.5 blocks above and below the player (each block is composed of 4 tiles (arranged 2x2) which are each 8px by 8px).

Nosophoros

I'm eating your cake
Years
1 How would you go about changing the main characters sprite in an elite four type battle scene?

2 How do you make the time-traveling looking device (cylinder with red top) in the professor's lab to heal your pokemon (like in shinygold, only in ruby)?

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
1 How would you go about changing the main characters sprite in an elite four type battle scene?

2 How do you make the time-traveling looking device (cylinder with red top) in the professor's lab to heal your pokemon (like in shinygold, only in ruby)?

1. It does it automatically I believe depending on it's sprite

2. I believe there's a special for that

*edit*
Ok, I can't stand it anymore!! How do you add animated tiles! I've seen it everywhere, but I just can't figure it out!

Last edited:

Samike360

Lover of May
Years

Not sure about the first one, for the second one just make a signpost or a person event and create a script. Look at Hackmew's guide in XSE for the special command that heals your Pokemon and add other stuff if you want XD

---

For me, I'm still working on getting VBA-SDL-H.exe to work. I've tried many different things, different versions of it, different roms, etc. but it keeps giving me a white screen and crashes whenever I load a rom. Can someone please help me with this? Or if you could give me a download link to the free No$GBA debugger, that would be much appreciated :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
I'm hacking Pokemon Ruby and I want to put a man in front of a door who won't move until you give him an item. When you do give it to him, he steps away and you can enter the door. I have PKSV and their is a script generator for "Need Item To Proceed" but I don't know how to use it.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
I'm hacking Pokemon Ruby and I want to put a man in front of a door who won't move until you give him an item. When you do give it to him, he steps away and you can enter the door. I have PKSV and their is a script generator for "Need Item To Proceed" but I don't know how to use it.

It'd be like a normal talking script with a yes no option wich changes if you have the item ?

Basically theres a part in the script which changes according to the item,
The offset at the top refers to the sprite, so needs to correspond to the guy that youre scripting.

I dont know a lot about scripting, but i think thats right

..Beyond

Cut your losses.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 29, 2014
Are there any hacks of the original games that are exactly like the original games but take into account the Pokémon evolutions that need trading in order to be achieved?

Golem, Alakazam, Kingdra, Porygon2, etc. come to mind.

My brother has been playing an Emerald ROM for some time and although he doesn't do much catching, he's around the point in the game where he's almost done catching all the legendaries he can without cheating, but he's not quite good enough at raising Pokémon to beat all the Frontier Brains. (He basically beat the Elite 4 with lv. 70 Rayquaza and lv. 60 or 70 something Blaziken. The rest of his team is high 40s and below) To me, this means he's probably going to give up or restart soon, and if he decides to change ROMs, I want to give him one that has the trade/trade-hold evolutions available to him.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
Years
Are there any hacks of the original games that are exactly like the original games but take into account the Pokémon evolutions that need trading in order to be achieved?

Golem, Alakazam, Kingdra, Porygon2, etc. come to mind.

My brother has been playing an Emerald ROM for some time and although he doesn't do much catching, he's around the point in the game where he's almost done catching all the legendaries he can without cheating, but he's not quite good enough at raising Pokémon to beat all the Frontier Brains. (He basically beat the Elite 4 with lv. 70 Rayquaza and lv. 60 or 70 something Blaziken. The rest of his team is high 40s and below) To me, this means he's probably going to give up or restart soon, and if he decides to change ROMs, I want to give him one that has the trade/trade-hold evolutions available to him.
The best bet to do that is to hack it on your own.
You can change the evolution methods by using YAPE, download in the Toolbox. And, just in case if you don't know how to uise it, there's also a tutorial for it in the Tutorials section.

I'm reposting my question just in case:
I have a question to ask as well. What's the index number of the normal wild Pokemon battle song in FireRed?

Last edited:

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
@tropical sunlight
It's 298 in sappy, 12A for a script.

Now, you can ignore my previous question, but listen to this embarassing n00b question:

Whenever I use A-Ptch, it says:
"The file you are trying to patch is not a valid one"

What's up with that?

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
@tropical sunlight
It's 298 in sappy, 12A for a script.

Now, you can ignore my previous question, but listen to this embarassing n00b question:

Whenever I use A-Ptch, it says:
"The file you are trying to patch is not a valid one"

What's up with that?
A-Ptch makes a lot of checks to see if the rom you're patching an aps file to matches he original one used to make it.
Ex. Make patch of your game using APS
Somebody edits your base game a little bit and tries to patch your aps to it, it won't work because the original ones aren't the same
Get what I'm saying? I hope you do, because I don't. :P

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
Ive inserted 2 sprites, but their backsprites, (the original ones were all messed up colour wise, so i tried to edit them in unlz, and they arent there.. its just the regular sprite and the SHINY backsprite, so theres no normal shiny or normal backsprite...

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
Where can I find a RBY tileset? (Basically all the routes' and cities sprites split apart on one giant PNG file)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I have a problem. See, look here:
glitcha.png

All the tiles look fine, correct?

But if I head up and enter another building and come back to this spot, then those tiles get all weird looking:
glitchb.png

How do I fix this?

Years
  • Seen Jul 22, 2012
I have a problem with editing the scripts of people/signs. I select a sign or a person and press open script (PKSV) so I can edit what they say. I type the new text, compile it, and then go to a new person or sign. However, when I look at this new event's script, it seems to have been spliced with the new one I just typed! For example, if there are two signs and they say "Welcome to our town" and "I am a new trainer" and I edit the first one to say "Thanks for coming to our town", the second one would now read "I am a new traThanks for coming to our town"! If I change THAT sign, it just keeps happening and I can never get anything to say what I want it to say!

Thanks for the help.

pika247

Pikachu Trainer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 31, 2012
Okay, I have one question and one thing that i want/need clarified.

The thing I need clarified:
Hero/Heroine sprites in FR. I know the can be edited to be different colors, and can be replaced with hero sprites from other Pokemon games(I.E. Ruby), but can they only be recolors and stuff, or can you add completely scratch made sprites.(The trainer I want to sprite and add looks nothing like any of the existing heroes/heroines) All the tutorials I've seen just use Nintendo's stock Trainer sprites

Question:
The Yellow Version Pikachu cry(the "Pika!" cry), any possible way to get the file into a file format compatible with FR? I know cries can be imported into the game if they're in a .wav(I'd have to re-check the tutorial I found on here) format, but yeah. The Yellow cry is GB(C) quality and FR is a GBA quality game, so, yeah

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
Okay, I have one question and one thing that i want/need clarified.

The thing I need clarified:
Hero/Heroine sprites in FR. I know the can be edited to be different colors, and can be replaced with hero sprites from other Pokemon games(I.E. Ruby), but can they only be recolors and stuff, or can you add completely scratch made sprites.(The trainer I want to sprite and add looks nothing like any of the existing heroes/heroines) All the tutorials I've seen just use Nintendo's stock Trainer sprites
It can be any sprite, as long as it's the right height/width/color-depth.
Question:
The Yellow Version Pikachu cry(the "Pika!" cry), any possible way to get the file into a file format compatible with FR? I know cries can be imported into the game if they're in a .wav(I'd have to re-check the tutorial I found on here) format, but yeah. The Yellow cry is GB(C) quality and FR is a GBA quality game, so, yeah
You can't just increase the quality of the cry, but googling "Pikachu cry wav" should get you some good quality ones.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
Years
How do you remove the rival at the begging of Firered?

Id like to see the rival begging at the start of firered.
do you mean where you name him, or when you battle him etc?

Anyway can anyone answer mine?

Where are pokemon's front shiny and Normal backsprites located in Unlz.gba?
all there is is the normal sprite and the shiny backsprite.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Id like to see the rival begging at the start of firered.
do you mean where you name him, or when you battle him etc?

Anyway can anyone answer mine?

Where are pokemon's front shiny and Normal backsprites located in Unlz.gba?
all there is is the normal sprite and the shiny backsprite.

I have a feeling they're just palette-swapped versions of the normal front/back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back