• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dugtrio/Arena Trap

Anti

return of the king
Years
My opinion is beginning to shift after reading a few no-ban posts in the suspect thread. Perhaps Dugtrio is a necessary evil to ensure that stall isn't completely passive? Maybe something else that isn't Dugtrio is the problem. If I had reqs I'd probably abstain at this point

I really dislike this line of reasoning. There is nothing "natural" about a stall-balance-offense equilibrium, as even a cursory glance at past generations can tell you. If the game evolves to make stall obsolete, so what? GSC doesn't ban Snorlax and Advance doesn't ban Skarmory or Suicune because just you can't end games in 25 turns in those metagames. The change in Defog mechanics made it much more difficult for stall to play an active hazard game effectively. That sucks for stall, but tiering is not about maintaining a completely arbitrary (and wildly subjective, even by tiering standards) ideal of playstyle balance, it is about removing threats that are either broken or obviously unhealthy (or both). Nah is absolutely right.

Trapping is an anti-skill mechanic. You can make a contrarian case that "it creates mind games" or "you have to be skilled in preserving certain Pokemon and assessing risk," but this is a rather strange apologist argument and one that you never saw for any other 50/50 mechanics like King's Shield or Sucker Punch when they were relevant in Aegislash/Mega Mawile suspect tests. The only real skill is in hoping you guess right enough times to avoid losing against a deck massively stacked against you. The ability to remove such a large portion of Pokemon and remove the primary element of in-battle skill (switching) should not be allowed. (I can see keeping around Magnet Pull or Pursuit because their applications are so limited and type-dependent that you can anticipate them in team building within reason. Arena Trap casts a much wider net.) It is unquestionably unhealthy and probably broken too.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
Does Dugtrio make anything in particular "unviable"? Stuff like Hoopa-U and Tyranitar kind of auto-lose to it, but they'll probably still find use. Hopefully Dugtrio's effect on the meta won't worsen.

Mega Sableye will likely be suspected next before Dugtrio gets another turn.

Years
my opinion is starting to shift to the point where I don't think duggy is broken nor the problem with stall being as good as it is. mega sableye is def the problem, and without it stall would be way easier to break and way worse than it is. duggy > sab suspect just doesn't really make sense to me though, and i'm interested to see if they'll suspect sab instead, and if that gets banned, how stall teams will adapt.

Years
I really don't see how Sableye is the problem either. It's not that hard to deal with.
It is when combined with 4 other fat mons + duggy. In building it's very hard to prep for sab stall well without slapping bad stuff on like shed shell lele. Of course I'm not saying that the stall floating around is perfect, but it's still very good and hard to prep for. If you go all out stallbreakers on your team, you're going to lose to other playstyles like offense.

Years
It is when combined with 4 other fat mons + duggy. In building it's very hard to prep for sab stall well without slapping bad stuff on like shed shell lele. Of course I'm not saying that the stall floating around is perfect, but it's still very good and hard to prep for. If you go all out stallbreakers on your team, you're going to lose to other playstyles like offense.

I dunno, I mean I get that M-Sableye is good but I just don't think it's game breaking, regardless of its team.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
The fact that you wrote "+ duggy" and "shed shell lele" showcases that Arena Trap is indeed the real problem here and not Mega Sableye. If you remove Dugtrio from the stall equation but keep M-Sable, you no longer have to run Shed Shell Tapu Lele nor do silly things like run a whole team of stallbreakers. If you Remove M-Sable from the equation but keep Dugtrio, you still have to do those things. It's actually harder to build teams with Dugtrio in the mix because then there's a lot of "I can beat X core or Y 'mon with this core/'mon, but then I auto-lose if Dugtrio traps something". Mega Sableye doesn't do this, and has many viable answers to it across playstyles. Dugtrio just sits in the back, playing mind games with you, waiting for its opportunity to come in and ruin everything in a single turn.

But all that aside, I don't know why people are still trying to defend Arena Trap/Dugtrio. The exact same reasons Shadow Tag was banned (and over M-Sable) apply to Arena Trap. The singles metagame is based almost entirely on two skills: team-building, and prediction (which is executed via switching, and can get into yomi/mindgames sometimes). Trapping removes the second skill from the equation, and so is completely uncompetitive. Trapping abilities have no place in a healthy meta game. That's all there is to it.

People just want Mega Sableye banned because, at least in my experience in competitive metagames, people in general don't like defensive play. Offense is also the playstyle least affected by Dugtrio (though no playstyle/team archetype is completely unaffected by trapping), so people see Arena Trap/Dugtrio as less problematic since it doesn't affect them too much personally, and then so why give a shit? It can be annoying that you can't just click Stealth Rock or Taunt or Toxic whenever you want to, but annoyance isn't a real reason to ban anything. There are other ways to break stall anyway....like using the generational power creep.

Years
The fact that you wrote "+ duggy" and "shed shell lele" showcases that Arena Trap is indeed the real problem here and not Mega Sableye. If you remove Dugtrio from the stall equation but keep M-Sable, you no longer have to run Shed Shell Tapu Lele nor do silly things like run a whole team of stallbreakers. If you Remove M-Sable from the equation but keep Dugtrio, you still have to do those things. It's actually harder to build teams with Dugtrio in the mix because then there's a lot of "I can beat X core or Y 'mon with this core/'mon, but then I auto-lose if Dugtrio traps something". Mega Sableye doesn't do this, and has many viable answers to it across playstyles. Dugtrio just sits in the back, playing mind games with you, waiting for its opportunity to come in and ruin everything in a single turn.

Without mega sableye basically preventing hazards, stall gets pressured very easily. Chansey and clef get easily pressured and often times will lose to the pokemon they are on the team to beat. Because of chansey being the general special tank, stall teams over-rely on it and when hazards are up you really don't want to have it be weakened. Don't even get me started on duggy with hazards up either, it's terrible.

The combination of hazards and offensive pressure can take down a stall team without a designated stall breaker. Yes, you have to play smart, but stall players are often very predictable so you don't often have to make too risky of a play. Without sab, every team has a chance to beat stall without garbage like shed shell lele.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Without mega sableye basically preventing hazards, stall gets pressured very easily. Chansey and clef get easily pressured and often times will lose to the pokemon they are on the team to beat. Because of chansey being the general special tank, stall teams over-rely on it and when hazards are up you really don't want to have it be weakened. Don't even get me started on duggy with hazards up either, it's terrible.

The combination of hazards and offensive pressure can take down a stall team without a designated stall breaker. Yes, you have to play smart, but stall players are often very predictable so you don't often have to make too risky of a play. Without sab, every team has a chance to beat stall without garbage like shed shell lele.
so I'm confused

what exactly are you arguing here?

because before it seemed to me that you were saying that Mega Sableye is broken and that Dugtrio/AT is not, but now you seem to be saying that Mega Sableye is literally all that keeps stall from being unviable

the 3 main points I've been trying to make in this thread are:
1) Trapping abilities are broken/uncompetitive
2) Mega Sableye is not broken/does not need to be banned
3) Stall is likely not a viable playstyle anymore

and I'm not sure if you agree or disagree with me on any of those points

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Sableye's only a problem when you remove the stall breaker (oh look, Dugtrio does that).

Still think Arena Trap should have gone, then we could hold a discussion whether or not Sableye is over centralizing after seeing it in action without Dugtrio removing it's counter.

Years
so I'm confused

what exactly are you arguing here?
Stall is broken right now, and Mega Sableye is holding it together. Stall without Mega Sableye wouldn't be the problem that it is now, even if it had Dugtrio.

because before it seemed to me that you were saying that Mega Sableye is broken and that Dugtrio/AT is not, but now you seem to be saying that Mega Sableye is literally all that keeps stall from being unviable
Before I thought the same thing, maybe I just didn't phrase it as much. I think this post really summarizes what I think.

the 3 main points I've been trying to make in this thread are:
1) Trapping abilities are broken/uncompetitive
don't agree
2) Mega Sableye is not broken/does not need to be banned
don't agree
3) Stall is likely not a viable playstyle anymore
i don't get what you're saying when you say this. Are you trying to say in the current metagame stall is bad or without dugtrio?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Ok, I think that clears things up a bit.
i don't get what you're saying when you say this. Are you trying to say in the current metagame stall is bad or without dugtrio?
Basically I mean that I don't think that one can be successful/win consistently with stall teams in Gen 7. I have a hard time believing that stall can truly work when there's been generations of power creep.

Smash Brony

Cool Dude
Years
Personally, I don't think the trapping abilities is the problem, it's the Pokémon that has them.
For example, would any of you be intimidated by a Arena Trap/Shadow Tag Magikarp?

Anti

return of the king
Years
Personally, I don't think the trapping abilities is the problem, it's the Pokémon that has them.
For example, would any of you be intimidated by a Arena Trap/Shadow Tag Magikarp?

This is an asinine argument--even Moody isn't broken on Magikarp. Of course nothing is broken in a vacuum, but we make assumptions about the support elements of the game has, including "an ability's user is better than Magikarp/other shitmon." A better question would be something like "is this ability broken/uncompetitive on a fairly average Pokemon?" Dugtrio and Gothitelle are both fairly average Pokemon without a trapping ability (or even below average), and both have been brought up for suspect tests in the past year or two. Hmm.

Anyway, to weigh in on the Nah/og exchange as I find it quite interesting, I think it is entirely possible that both Sableye and Dugtrio should be banned.

To follow og's reasoning here, Sab holds stall together for all the reasons it did in gen 6 (relevant to me since I have not played a game of SM competitive in any tier, so yes you should take my opinion with a gain of salt).

I am actually pretty fascinated by how stall is expected to always make safe plays because they risk ruining their defensive core with one misstep, as if an offense or balance making a zillion double switches in anticipation of those switches isn't just as risky in its own way, especially for teams with only a few ways to pressure a stall. Power creep has hurt stall, but the advent of Regenerator, Unaware, and even Scald or the Knock Off buff (admittedly useful for any style but certainly nice for crippling offensive mons as well) has also made overpowering stalls more difficult. I think pressuring a stall isn't quite as easy as og is saying if the stall player has an ounce of balls and makes some plays himself--which should be expected, just as we expect balance players who make cookie cutter plays to lose, we should expect that from unimaginative stall players, like the kind who littered the XY ladder with VenuTran/Quag/Skarm/Chans/Clef or w/e the insanely passive-even-by-stall-standards doodoo they used was.

The point here is just that something like stall + Gothitelle would almost certainly be broken even without Sableye in the tier, as it can remove anything that can pressure stall unless it's running a Shed Shell. You might point to a meta like XY and suggest it proves this isn't true, but I would argue it proves that people just didn't know what they were doing. It took awhile through ORAS for Sab/Goth stall to flourish, after all.

Dugtrio isn't in Gothitelle's universe as an obviously cancerous mon, or at least it wasn't--and I can't imagine its Attack increase making up such a difference--but many of the similarities are there, just as they have been going all the way back to Advance (where Dugtrio is my least favorite part of my favorite metagame, even if it might be a "necessary evil"). I just cannot wrap my mind around how trapping, which removes the fundamental aspect of skill from the game, is consistently defended by many players when it is so often right at the heart of these types of suspects (ie broken strategy, usually stall, is facilitated by central presence of trapping). I don't think Dugtrio has to be the issue with stall to clearly be a part of the issue, and I find the chick-and-egg around determining the culprit to be somewhat self-defeating when the most likely case seems to me to be that both Mega Sableye and its trapping friends are both bad for the metagame. (I haven't played SM but if Sableye is as influential as it was in ORAS I can certainly buy that is is an issue.)

To put it as concisely as I can, it is very possible/likely that both Mega Sableye is broken and trapping is unhealthy and maybe broken too, ban both if we have to. But for the purposes of this suspect, I think a Dugtrio ban can only have positive consequences--the same way a Double Team ban can only be positive. General trapping (as opposed to extreme type-specific trapping like Magnet Pull or Pursuit) is often an issue like this.

(Also, while totally outside the scope of what has been discussed so far, all forms of trapping only worsen the already-problematic issue of team matchup. I think it is bogus that, if your XY Zard-Y check was Latios, you were just shit out of luck against a mon that was already extremely difficult to check. While I get that you cannot legislate those types of things out of the game, Arena Trap and certainly Shadow Tag can be applied more broadly. Through the generations, off the top of my head, Dug + CM spam, Dug + Sun, and now Dug + stall have all been near-unstoppable in certain matchups, and it seems pretty obvious to me that banning something that is already restrictive of the fundamental tactical exercise of skill in our game and also exacerbates matchup issues might be something we should just ban.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nah

Smash Brony

Cool Dude
Years
OK, Magikarp was NOT the best example to use, but the point I was trying to make is that if the Pokémon is crap, so is the ability.
Pokémon like Dugtrio & Gothitelle causes problems because they're good enough to make use of their trapping abilities.
Edited in:
Just thought of a better example...
I remember hearing that Bidoof was nearly or was broken when it had Moody, but I doubt it'd threaten anything if it had Arena Trap or Shadow Tag.

Last edited:
Back