• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

First ever pokemon team help

Years
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Hi, I was wondering if I could get any feed back on my team. I was going for something that seemed simple to play for me (based on past competitive gaming habits) so I chose to go with a sandstorm, "where them down with damage over time" type team since I play an Affliction warlock in WoW. :D

OU team

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash (Sand stream)
Timid 252 SpA 252 Spe 4 Atk
Stealth Rock
Ice Beam
Low Kick
Crunch

Other than Stealth rocks I haven't found a use for his move set but I can't really think of anything that fit my team better.

Skarmory @ Leftovers (Sturdy)

Impish 224 HP 252 Def 32 SpD

Spikes
Roost
Whirlwind
Brave Bird

Probably my most loved part of my team. He tanks like a beast while healing up with Roost + Leftovers.

Empoleon @ Leftovers (Torrent)

Calm 252 HP 252 SpD 4 SpA

Scald
Ice Beam
Roar
Stealth Rock

I haven't got to use this guy much so can't comment on him at all, to be honest. He is just there.

Scizor @ Life Orb (Technician)

Adamant 252 HP 40 Atk 216 SpD

Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Roost
Bug Bite

Went for a more bulky approach for scizor that I found on a forum. He is my go to physical attacker.

Heatran @ Air Balloon (Flash Fire)

Modest 252 SpA 4 SpD 252 Spe

Fire Blast
Hidden Power Grass
Earth Power
Stealth Rock

Obviously my special attacker. I used him a lot in platinum before I even knew that there was a big competitive scene in pokemon. Ended up being one of my favorite pokemon so you can imagine my reaction when I found out he was actually really good in the competitive scene.

Lucario @ Life Orb (Inner Focus)

Hasty 22 Atk 236 SpA 252 Spe

Calm Mind
Dark Pulse
Hidden Power Electric
Close Combat

My wall breaker. I chose HP electric to have something against flying types. In theory, it should break skarmory walls. I haven't been able to test it.

So what do you guys think? It's my first ever team I've built with battling other people in mind. I want as much criticism as possible because I want to be able to learn how to make a strong and balanced team to do random battles with.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Timid hinders Tyranitar's high Attack, considering that you're using two physical moves on it. Change it to Mild or Hasty.

Honestly, I'd rather have Gastrodon over Empoleon so that you can check opposing Rain teams, which are all over the place:
-Earthquake/Earth Power
-Scald/Ice Beam
-Toxic
-Recover
Nature: Sassy/Calm
EVs: 252 HP/84 Def/172 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain

or
-Surf
-Earth Power
-Ice Beam
-Recover/Hidden Power (Grass)
Nature: Modest
EVs: 124 HP/252 SAtk/132 SDef
Item: Life Orb/Choice Specs
Ability: Storm Drain

Mixed Lucario, while interesting, doesn't do as well as mixed Infernape, as it's difficult to string together mixed coverage moves. While I'd suggest Infernape for this, you already have a Fire attacker in Heatran. I feel that Landorus would make a better option because both of its abilities benefit its attacks; also, it gets Swords Dance to make its Sand Force-boosted moves more potent. Terrakion is also viable, as it benefits from the 1.5x Special Defense boost in Sandstorm:
Landorus:
-Swords Dance
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Explosion
Nature: Naive/Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Sand Force

or
-Earth Power
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Rock Polish/Substitute/Psychic
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force

Terrakion:
-Swords Dance
-Rock Polish
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon/Rock Gem

or
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge
-X-Scissor
-Quick Attack/Sacred Sword/Rock Slide
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Band/Choice Scarf

Years
  • Seen Jun 12, 2013
The problem with your team is that, each and every single member of it is steel... cept 1

A fast fighting type or even a slow one w/ mach punch could wipe your whole team by itself practically

You need a wider variety of types than everything/steel & 1 Tyranitar which may as well be steel cause it's 4x weak to fighting too lol

Years
  • Seen May 13, 2013
The Tyranitar that I used competitively in the last international challenge is as such.

200 atk / 172 def / 132 sp def.
It is Sassy natured.
I put 0 into hp as I ran it with a focus sash.

You want Tyranitar to out-slow other weather instigators like Abomasnow and Politoed.

My moveset that I used was
Protect
Crunch
Low Kick
Rock Slide

In saying that though, I found throughout the competition that I would have been better off replacing Crunch with Fire Punch. Live and learn though.

As someone also said, Gastrodon is a much more viable option than Empoleon as well.

Back