• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

High Culture & Media, anyone?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
As an ex-S-Mod and Führer of PokéCommunity AND current C&M Mod, I say that it's about time we brought some actual culture to this godforsaken place, as opposed to all of this drivel about Justin Bieber and Manchester United. What this place needs is a good dash of opera, interpretive dance and - most importantly - Tuvan throat singing!

The age that most of the forum populace are playing Pokemon, they're still very impressionable to new concepts and ideas. As staff members, we're implicitly guiding them in their future journey through life by acting as guardians against the evils of spambots and Jack O'Neill. Therefore, it should be our duty to promote the cultural development of our memberbase, so that they can go out and grace the world knowing the difference between Wagner and Verdi or Bolshoi and Guangzhou. Watching episodes of Frasier are all that some underprivileged children get, but we should be able to offer so much more to the people here at PC.

Which is why I'm humbly proposing that a High Culture & Media subforum be added to C&M. Ordinarily, if I were in your position, I'd argue that sufficient discussion needs to develop before a sub-forum is dedicated to a certain topic (like, for example, PVP in recent months) but this is a public interest case, and I ask you to, in the words of Helen Lovejoy, please think of the children! I'll personally be responsible for the development and flourishing of the new forum; in time, it should hopefully dwarf not only C&M but most of the other non-Pokemon related forums (except for the spam pit that is Other Trivia).

Not a day goes by in which I don't have to recite some Gilbert and Sullivan or triple pirouette into a plié before getting on a bus. I've managed to just survive in this world of high culture; I can't say for sure whether most of the memberbase will survive much longer without this. Thank you.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I was just thinking this very same thing; I support you 100%. The very moment the current generation[/s] is unable to appreciate the subtle contrasts of Sygyt to the deeper gravel of Kargyraa is a moment that I don't want to be a part of. We should, nay must, do our bit to stop this trend of lackluster filth being poured into the mind of our unfortunate youths'. Heil!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 13, 2024
Why do we need a sub-forum for it when you can just add it to the main forum?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Perhaps you could just delete C&M and replace it with High C&M. Not like anybody actually actively uses/enjoys C&M, do they...?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
You see, the football thread is so dead, we have to hijack mod threads to talk about it. So who cares if it disappears.

Years
I am serious, we need a Classical, Romantic, and Opera Music thread to lay bare the lack of support for High Culture in today's society. Also some Broadway Musical reviews and Ballet ticket prizes might help dust away the uncouth filth in that area.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
As an ex-S-Mod and Führer of PokéCommunity AND current C&M Mod, I am touched and humbled at the positive response this thread has gotten. To answer some of the questions raised thus far, I imagine that - in time, HC&M would eventually submerge regular C&M, but the proletariat that is the memberbase of PC would probably not look too kindly on a simply deleting of a forum that, while under-valued, is still used a fair deal. I propose a two-step process. First: establish HC&M under the guise of a subforum. Allow it to blossom and develop like a beautiful flower, and THEN! in one fell swoop, remove the regular C&M without a word. The users will feel panicked and revert to their pre-commercialized, pre-Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus and Transformers state and make HC&M the best non-Pokemon forum in PC. But in order for this to happen, there needs to be something for users to fall back on. If we were to delete C&M and simply replace it with HC&M, we wouldn't have the panicky reversion, but just seething ANGER! And we wouldn't want an lulzsec-type situation on our hands; lord knows the server is already badly damaged enough as it is.

And with that in mind, I offer this discussion to those in HQ.

Back