• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

National Novel Writing Month 2018

Bay

Years
So it's that time of year again! For those that don't know, National Novel Writing Month (or NaNoWriMo) is a yearly thing where you write a full novel in one month, the wordcount goal being 50K or more. Any of you plan to do it this year, and if so which projects you plan on doing for it? Attempted it in previous years and beat that 50K goal?

Also if you have a NaNo profile you can link it here for others to check it and add you as a friend! Here's mine as an example!

Years
As I said on Discord, I've never attempted NaNo before because I generally don't have great staying power as a writer and as such prefer to do short one-off stories usually. That being said, I've been planning out stuff in preparation for a serial I want to write so maybe I'll use NaNo as an excuse to get a backlog started for that.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I'm super excited for NaNo! I'm setting up some meetings with people at uni to write, and will be tackling a new novel, although I've yet to decide which bunny I'm chasing. I originally was going to put my personal goal a bit higher than the NaNo goal, but life is very busy right now. I've beat the goal multiple times, but I don't really wanna do it for the goal. I just really like the community aspect. I am in some super fun writing communities that blossom during NaNos, the NaNo forum is great, and my writer friends are all also really into it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • UK
  • Seen Dec 23, 2019
This'll be my first year doing it, having been swamped the last few years to even attempt it. No idea what I'm doing for it.

I'm thinking of doing an epistolary novel since I seem to be better at writing what character's are saying / thinking than objectively describing events. There's a game I played recently called Talos Principle that tells you about the end of the world (spoilers?) but it's hidden in corrupted encyclopedia entries in a computer database along with poems about the nature of being human and what its capable of, etc:
Spoiler:

I was thinking of world-building through that, sort of like a novel full of email logs, CCTV transcripts, news reports, etc.

About as far as I got so far, still have a few days to write down ideas I guess.

Bay

Years
To Safebox, oh your idea sounds very interesting. Epistolary stories are always fascinating as you can be creative with telling a story using different written mediums that way. If you do attempt that, wish you luck!

As for me, I think I'll attempt to make progress on Foul Play and a few other short stories. Maybe even use the Detroit After Human RP entries for this too. I mentioned on Discord that November tends to be very busy for me, so for this Nano I want to attempt at least 15K.

Bay

Years
Double posting as it's now Day 8 for Nano and I'm interested how you guys are progressing!

So far I'm at the 3.6k mark, so I'm way behind schedule lol. I want to do at least 15K but this speed doesn't look like I'll even make it that. For now I think as long as I get at least two chapters of Foul Play and another Pokemon short story written I'll be happy.

Years
Double posting as it's now Day 8 for Nano and I'm interested how you guys are progressing!

So far I'm at the 3.6k mark, so I'm way behind schedule lol. I want to do at least 15K but this speed doesn't look like I'll even make it that. For now I think as long as I get at least two chapters of Foul Play and another Pokemon short story written I'll be happy.

Just reached about 5.4k now. It's after midnight but I might do a bit more after a break.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Hmm I really wanted to do this and I was considering it heavily, but due to some pretty bad depression at the start of the month (which is better now thankfully) and also just a ton of other projects I'm working on, I decided it would be best not to.

The only real writing I'm doing is for the game I'm making, so that counts I guess? Although I still haven't done a lot.

Bay

Years
All right, so Nano is pretty much over. Any one of you reached 50K?

Me, LOL nope. I managed 14.5K, just a bit short on 15K ah well. At least I have a couple chapters of Foul Play backlog so that's something I guess.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
I quit my NaNo project on day 3 after realizing I wanted to do more research. So I just wrote some short stories instead. Got 40k in spread over 6 shorts! Really happy with the result, as it left me with some stuff I might send to a magazine, see if I can get it published :3

Years
I had a bunch of things come up and my illness flaired up -_-
Not stopping the project just because NaNo is over but I'm annoyed I only managed to get to about 10k because of stupid crap.

Years
I had a bunch of things come up and my illness flaired up -_-
Not stopping the project just because NaNo is over but I'm annoyed I only managed to get to about 10k because of stupid crap.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
Honestly, I had to quit prematurely this year. I do every year... true, but this was different. My anxiety was really bad during the start of the month, and it was really wearing me down. It was weird because normally, I can keep it pretty much under control sometimes. This was the one time when it wouldn't go away. By the time it improved, going into NaNo was too late. :c

Back