• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Never say never... except when describing NeverUsed! [NU Discussion] (PotF #2 posted)

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I (sort of) discussed about that LickiLicky set yesterday and I've only realized that Linoone outclasses it after I closed PS. I didn't bother coming back since I'd figured you would realize that yourself. Woohoo already pointed out why so I'm not going to bother lol

Cloud 9 Lickilicky, on the other hand...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Fine reject my genius! Altho I do think it's a great idea but NEVERTHELESS I have thought of an even better idea.

Absol @ Lansat Berry
Trait: Super Luck
Adamant
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Night Slash

Sub 2 activate the berry to increase crits, with super luck that's boosted and Absol is kind of frail anyway and is 2hko'd by most things really so sub is safer til it activates and then you can Sucker, given the opponent doesn't have their own priority, but you'll know what you can face. With crits too, you can take out everything annoying that'll try to status u, aka Alomomoonguss.

idk the evs I cbf'd with the evs right now.

Or Scope Lens works too but I like the idea of confusing the opponents. ;)

Wanna fit SD somewhere idk where.

Years
Fine reject my genius! Altho I do think it's a great idea but NEVERTHELESS I have thought of an even better idea.

Absol @ Lansat Berry
Trait: Super Luck
Adamant
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Night Slash

Sub 2 activate the berry to increase crits, with super luck that's boosted and Absol is kind of frail anyway and is 2hko'd by most things really so sub is safer til it activates and then you can Sucker, given the opponent doesn't have their own priority, but you'll know what you can face. With crits too, you can take out everything annoying that'll try to status u, aka Alomomoonguss.

idk the evs I cbf'd with the evs right now.

Or Scope Lens works too but I like the idea of confusing the opponents. ;)

Wanna fit SD somewhere idk where.

lol I wouldn't call these sets "genius", but they could work if you have the proper support :P

This Sub 3 attacks Absol is pretty interesting though(and much better than your lickilicky lol) as substitute isn't the most common move you'd expect from absol and it eases prediction with sucker punch. The whole critting thing with the set is pretty helpful if you have the luck to pull it off(I don't). I'd recommend switching the item to scope lens if you REALLY want to fish for crits, but I'd go for life orb for that extra firepower. So basically I'd prefer a Sub 3 attack set with life orb, and scratch out the critting aspect because with my luck the other guy's gonna get a crit and i am going to miss night slash although it is 100 accuracy lol because Absol forces a lot of switches and sub helps with prediction

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
lol I wouldn't call these sets "genius", but they could work if you have the proper support :P

This Sub 3 attacks Absol is pretty interesting though(and much better than your lickilicky lol) as substitute isn't the most common move you'd expect from absol and it eases prediction with sucker punch. The whole critting thing with the set is pretty helpful if you have the luck to pull it off(I don't). I'd recommend switching the item to scope lens if you REALLY want to fish for crits, but I'd go for life orb for that extra firepower. So basically I'd prefer a Sub 3 attack set with life orb, and scratch out the critting aspect because with my luck the other guy's gonna get a crit and i am going to miss night slash although it is 100 accuracy lol because Absol forces a lot of switches and sub helps with prediction

Pfft my Lickilicky was genius okay ;(

Nevertheless, honestly I'd prefer to go for the chance of crit (so probs Scope Lens tbh over the Berry) and Substitute can still be useful with it, without a need to activate a Berry. But really though Absol has a higher chance of critting than not critting so I'd go for that over the extra power (tbh with most Absol I assume they will crit every hit so I'm careful around them!!)

Alsooooooo I expect you all to reply to the next thing I'm going to say! Hail now has an auto-starter in NU (Snover), any of you gunna make use of Hail teams or wanna discuss ideaaas??

Years
HOLY ****!!!!
Snover dropped to NU? When did he tiers shift I didn't even notice. Omg this is news, be prepared to see more blizzard spammers and walreins. The hayday of hail is back for glacéon, and it can now spam its notorious blizzards :]

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
HOLY ****!!!!
Snover dropped to NU? When did he tiers shift I didn't even notice. Omg this is news, be prepared to see more blizzard spammers and walreins. The hayday of hail is back for glacéon, and it can now spam its notorious blizzards :]

Uhhh well it was unbanned, so it wasn't tier shifts, they're happening next month altho may be in February for some reason icr from reading in the thread. I'm not sure I'm really a fan of Hail in NU considering everyone will use it and it'll become like OU, or just get banned. :3

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I remember using Stallrein back in DPP OU and it was a bomb. I even won against Vrai with the team! >:D

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen today
I don't mean to interrupt, but would you folks be interested in holding some sort of "Pokémon of the Week" in here? Basically, one Pokémon is (randomly?) picked every week and everyone is given the task to try and use it. This thread can be used for discussing strategies and interesting moments regarding it, since people claim that there's nothing to talk about.

If you support the idea and don't have much to add, just "like" this post.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I don't mean to interrupt, but would you folks be interested in holding some sort of "Pokémon of the Week" in here? Basically, one Pokémon is (randomly?) picked every week and everyone is given the task to try and use it. This thread can be used for discussing strategies and interesting moments regarding it, since people claim that there's nothing to talk about.

y :)

I don't see why people would be against that I shall rally people up to reply (like the totally-not-annoying person I am!)

Years

If you support the idea and don't have much to add, just "like" this post.

I think it's a great idea. I'm often lost as to what I should use or structure my team around, so this could be excellent motivation.

Whatever it is could be randomly chosen from the bottom half of the NU usage list. Ditching stupid pokemon is probably a good idea, though. We don't want to be using Ledian, Plusle or Luvidisc - let's be honest. Maybe knock off the bottom xx%?

I think you should start this ASAP.

Also, if Snover is now NU, I can see Rotom-F getting very popular.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
This sounds sort of like Smogon's research thingie, wherein people chooses somewhat viable Pokemon and have the participants test the Pokemon with their own sets and see how it would fare in the metagame. It sounds fun really and I'm all up for it. Let's do Snover! xD

Years
This sounds sort of like Smogon's research thingie, wherein people chooses somewhat viable Pokemon and have the participants test the Pokemon with their own sets and see how it would fare in the metagame. It sounds fun really and I'm all up for it. Let's do Snover! xD

I think Snover's going to get a lot of attention as it is - no point. Was thinking mre along the lines of Torterra, Swanna, Magmar. That sort of thing.

Edit: the more versatile and open to interpretation, the better.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023

I think it's a great idea. I'm often lost as to what I should use or structure my team around, so this could be excellent motivation.

Whatever it is could be randomly chosen from the bottom half of the NU usage list. Ditching stupid pokemon is probably a good idea, though. We don't want to be using Ledian, Plusle or Luvidisc - let's be honest. Maybe knock off the bottom xx%?

I think you should start this ASAP.

Also, if Snover is now NU, I can see Rotom-F getting very popular.

I think Snover's going to get a lot of attention as it is - no point. Was thinking mre along the lines of Torterra, Swanna, Magmar. That sort of thing.

I think we're better off going with a good Pokemon first, rather than a PU mon. ;( Mainly because we're trying to get more people to play NU and they're not going to play it if you're making teams around Pokemon that see very little use in the current metagame. Top 50, maybe.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Mold Breaker Sawk was already released right? How did it affect the metagame thus far? I haven't really been updated lately.

Years
Mold Breaker Sawk was already released right? How did it affect the metagame thus far? I haven't really been updated lately.

Almost all the people would agree that sturdy is a far superior ability, so it doesn't really "affect" the metagame at all lol.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Ummm...

Woohoo, are you forgetting about Snover? Sturdy has no use whatsoever, as Hail exists. SR is on almost every team and Mold Breaker can allow it to hit out things like Weezing which it otherwise can't, defeat Sturdy leads, etc...

It's -very- beneficial. ;(

Years
Even with Snover running around and summoning perma hail, sturdy is still a GREAT ability. You still get to live a hit from something that would normally OHKO a mold breaker sawk(like scarfed glacéon going for blizzard). Besides, the only benefits of mold breaker that I could think of is to OHKO bastiodon and probopass through sturdy and hit levitate pokes with eq. And while those benefits are nice, if you have proper team support(rocks and a good check to weezing and misdreavus), you can forgo mold breaker and put on the much better(IMO) ability in sturdy and fire off some powerful close combats and don't care about the defense drops that much.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Not only does it bypass Levitate and Sturdy, but also Thick Fat; something you will see a lot with the advent of Snow Warning. Thick Fat isn't a major issue if you aren't running Ice/Fire Punch as coverage moves, but if you are being able to bypass it makes Sawk a much larger threat to Pokemon who think they can switch in and take the hit easily.

It also ignores Snow Cloak, but that was banned a while ago. Dodrio abusing Tangled Feet with Thrash isn't very common, but it can be a problem if you are unlucky.

Years
The only usable thick fat pokes in NU are grumpig, miltank, and walrein(lol stallrein). Those pokes will NOT appreciate a close combat AT ALL. In fact, with a band slapped on, close combat ohkos miltank and walrein 100%, while grumpig(a really underrated special wall IMO) is 2hkod after rocks. As for the tangled feet dodrio, that set isn't used much at all, but dodrio naturally out speeds and ohkos mold breaker sawk. Sturdy Sawk lives the brave bird thanks to, well, sturdy and ohkos dodrio in return after the BB recoil. While mold breaker definitely has a niche, I still prefer sturdy vastly

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
What I'm saying is that you're a lot less predictable and safe to switch into. Choice banded Sturdy Sawk is very easy to play around, especially since Sturdy will most likely always be broken before it can be abused.

With a combination of Mold Breaker/Expert Belt, I consistently snag 2 early KOs by feigning a choice set.

IDK just feels like Sturdy Sawk gets less useful with each new change brought into NU. Hail will definitely be used a lot, no doubt.

Back