• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My advice? Don't trust rental Pokémon...

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
I've recently tried the Rental Tournament of B/W2's PWT, & had disastrous results: Three losses, with two of them being in the first round. I then began thinking, is playing with rental Pokémon all boil down to luck & a gamble?

Since playing around with rental Pokémon have been around since, well I don't know how long... at least beginning at Emerald, if not earlier...? Share your delights &/or anguish when it comes to using rental Pokémon. Is it a blast that offers more to the playing experience? Or is it something that only results in the eventual throwing of your system/controller?

If you're one of those people that can make rental Pokémon work for you, please tell me how you do that as well. I'm hoping that there's more to it than just being lucky.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
IMO, rental Pokemon are good ways of testing your skills in battle. Even if you end up with a terrible moveset (like sweeping sets tied to the wrong attacking stat, like the Special attacking Dugtrio in Pt/HG/SS), you'll have to try and make the most out of that set's strategy.

Years
Rental Pokemon are always epic fail to me, sometimes I find myself forfeiting in the earlier rounds or after my best team member goes down.

Also, I even forfeit if my rental Pokemon have a terrible moveset. No wonder I retired from rental battles.

NV

Dracon Leader
Years
They should have set up the rental pokemon like they did for the Pokestar Pokemon; They gave you the moveset you needed to pull off your goal, as long as you had an accurate understanding of the moves they had.
But I'm thinking they just set the pokemon to randomized movesets and called it a day. If they had set up the teams all to have specific strategies that are dangerous if done right, then the Whole Rental pokemon concept wouldn't seem so sour.

Ice Car

Banned
Years
I just keep getting new sets until I get 3 Pokemon that all work together and then I sweep through. I haven't had much luck in normal Rentals, but Rental Masters? Won 12 times.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I never had any trouble playing the Rental tournament. I usually just pick the three that look like they work the best if I don't do Double or Triple battles. I found Rental to be really easy.

Back