• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Word Games

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years

28mfih5.png

Hosted by vaporeon7 and Scarf

It's PokeCommunity's 10th anniversary and we're celebrating in this thread with some fun word games. What games are they, you ask. We have crosswords. We have word searches. We have something new and different to further test your word skills and Pokemon knowledge. Anyone can play, so get your pencils ready!

The Games

Every day of the Get-Together we will be posting a new puzzle for you to solve. You simply follow the instructions for each puzzle and send us your answers via PM to both vaporeon7 and Scarf. Once you've sent in your answers post in this thread to let us know that you did (in case we somehow don't get your PMs) and let everyone know how much fun you had. (You don't actually have to say how much fun you had.)

Some of the games (like the word search) will need you to send us an image. You'll need to use an image hosting site like TinyPic, ImageShack, Photobucket, or whatever other method you have available, so familiarize yourself with uploading images if you haven't already.

How To Play

Like we said, there are three types of games you can play: crossword, word search, and a word pairing game (details below). For each of the games there are a couple of general rules:

Crosswords

A crossword puzzle asks you to fill out a chart using the clues as your guide.

• Answer the [Across] clues from left to right → and the [Down] clues from top to bottom ↓, one letter per space.
  • There is one correct answer for each clue. If your answer doesn't fit, maybe it's not the right answer.
  • All clues must be answered and filled in for the puzzle to be complete.

Word Search

A word search asks you to find a group of words hidden in the puzzle.

• Words appear only once in each word search. Be careful you don't fall for any of our tricky words.
  • Words may be vertical, horizonal, forwards, backwards, and/or diagonal.
  • All words must be found for the puzzle to be complete.

Word Pairing

A word pairing game asks you to find what two Pokémon both fit the word clue.

• Each clue has EXACTLY TWO Pokémon that fit it. You have to guess BOTH correctly.
  • You must use all the spaces in a clue. (For example, a clue of "S L O W _ _ _ _" could ONLY be answered with Slowking and Slowpoke because Slowbro is only 7 letters long and the clue is 8 letters long.)
  • All the matching letters will be shown. (You won't see a clue like "_ L _ F A _ _ _" for Clefable/Clefairy. Their clue would show every letter they have in common: "C L E F A _ _ _".)
  • Spelling obviously counts if you want to get the right answers, but if you misspell when you submit your guesses that won't count against you.
  • Pokémon with non-alphabetic characters (Farfetch'd, Ho-Oh , Mr. Mime, Mime Jr., Nidoran♀, Nidoran♂, Porygon2, and Porygon-Z) will not show up anywhere in this quiz so don't worry about guessing those.
  • Again, you have to get all the pairs to complete the puzzle.

You can submit your answers one at a time, or all at once.

Timeline

The first puzzle starts on Day 1 of PSX and a new puzzle will be posted each day after.

Day 1, Sept 24th: An easy-difficulty crossword challenge
Day 2, Sept 25th: An easy-difficulty word search challenge
Day 3, Sept 26th: An easy-difficulty word pairing challenge
Day 4, Sept 27th: A medium-difficulty crossword challenge
Day 5, Sept 28th: A medium-difficulty word search challenge
Day 6, Sept 29th: A medium-difficulty word pairing challenge
Day 7, Sept 30th: One hard-difficult challenge of each type of puzzle

You can submit your answers any time up through to October 7th.

Prizes

Participants can win these fabulous prizes:

35i0pqd.png

Puzzling Participant
You still had a few pieces to go, but thanks for joining us for PCX and playing some Word Games.

3461ddt.png

Puzzling Paragon
You solved ALL the puzzles in PCX's Word Games. Strut around with your head held high.

Let The Games Begin!

Day 1: Crossword
Spoiler:

Day 2: Word Search
Spoiler:

Day 3: Word Pairing
Spoiler:

Day 4: Crossword
Spoiler:

Day 5: Word Search
Spoiler:

Day 6: Word Pairing
Spoiler:

Day 7: All!
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Finished and sent it to you both! Must say, it was a lot of fun and the Cherrim was adorable! Some of the clues took a while (especially annoyingly vague ones like "17. Fully evolved Pokémon owned by in-game rival." xD) but it wasn't too bad - can't wait for tomorrow's puzzle :D

Years
Finished up the crossword today. I'm going to hold off on sending it in so I can send them all at once when I'm done. Looking forward to the word pairing challenges!

EDIT: Finished Day 2's Word Search. Much less time consuming than yesterday!
EDIT: Finished Day 3's Pokemon Pairing. 2 had me stumped for a few seconds, but overall not too hard.
EDIT: Finished Day 4's Crossword. Took longer than the first one, but almost found it easier. Wonder what day 7's crossword will be like.

Last edited:

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Sep 18, 2022
I finally finished the crossword! If that was supposed to be easy, I'm afraid of the hard ones. xD
It was a lot of fun though. ;D

Years
Aaaaand now I'm done with the crossword! Can't say it was an easy one, though I still enjoyed it nonetheless. Let's hope tomorrow's puzzle will be just as fun! :)

Years
Already a good turn out. :D I've got answers from everyone who's posted so far except for Brendino and Pixelrush. Pixelrush, if you're waiting like Brendino that's fine, but if you're not, I didn't get your answers.

I hope you'll enjoy the next couple we've got coming up.

Years
  • Seen Nov 25, 2020
Puzzle 1 is done and sent. Puzzle 2 I'm on it.

EDIT: Puzzle 2 Complete.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Day 2, finished! I love word searches and that was a pretty fun one, too easy though ;) Can't wait for the ones later in the week :D I just hope I get time to do the weekend ones whilst moving in to uni haha. Also I've never done one of those word pairing games so looking forward to trying that :D

Years
  • Seen Nov 25, 2020
The word search was easy and fun while the crossword was hard with some of the vague questions. I am looking forward to the rest except the hard crossword, mission :P

Avishka

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 13, 2019
Word Search is finished and half of the crossword is finished. I'll sent all of them together :)

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
Okay, I've sent my two Puzzles! They are both finished.

Miau

If I fits...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 31, 2022
Sent in my first puzzle, working on the 2nd :)

Years
Yay, more people joining!

Oh, and for your information, if you find you've submitted a mistake and want to resubmit your answers that's fine, but please still check your answers before you send them. Someone has already fallen prey to one of our sneaky tricks. >:D

Back