• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Release] Pokémon Essentials, version 11 - 23rd December 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmethystRain

pixie-powered judgment!
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2022
Sorry if this is specified somewhere- I couldn't find anything with a quick search on the wiki- but what's the range of Trainer Skill from their money? I.e I can assume 0 or 1 is the lowest skill, but if I wanted a trainer with the maximum, highest ability, would I set their base money to 100, or something else?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Sorry if this is specified somewhere- I couldn't find anything with a quick search on the wiki- but what's the range of Trainer Skill from their money? I.e I can assume 0 or 1 is the lowest skill, but if I wanted a trainer with the maximum, highest ability, would I set their base money to 100, or something else?
You can have a look at the base money amounts in trainertypes.txt for an idea of the range. The AI is far from complete, but as it stands the highest skill level is "90 or above" which includes Gym Leaders and other big people like that, and the lowest is "49 or lower". You can have a look in PokeBattle_AI for "skill" to see what levels do what.

Having skill depend on money is a bit of a dodgy idea, because Swimmers have a very low amount of money because of their lack of pockets, Burglars have lots of money because they stole it, and Ladies just have huge wads - none of these facts should imply their relative strengths at being trainers. At the moment skill/money levels don't affect too much, but may do in future, so this may become important.

Bear in mind that wild Pokémon don't do any AI calculations. Each of their moves has an equal change of being used.

AI isn't mentioned anywhere in any great details because it's one of those fiddly things that people aren't expected to touch (although admittedly it's simpler than it could be). I believe you expressed interest in developing the AI in the past, and I'd be perfectly willing to help you with that. I don't have any experience with balancing, which is really what this is, so I'd need others to say what is acceptable behaviour for different tiers of AI (and indeed to invent those tiers). It's a topic for another thread, though.

WackyTurtle

Developer
Years
Great job, but I'm not a huge fan of the red-coloured names of items you find in item balls. Is there any way to change this back? Thanks.

Maruno

Years
Great job, but I'm not a huge fan of the red-coloured names of items you find in item balls. Is there any way to change this back? Thanks.
Changing the messages is simple enough. They're in PokemonField. I'll change them to blue, as they appear in the Gen 5 games.

errrrr what is this dna splicer and how dose it wk
The DNA Splicers (plural) is an item from B2W2, which you can use to fuse Kyurem with either Reshiram or Zekrom.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 31, 2023
oh right am i right in saying that even in essentials the dna splicers only work with those pokémon or will they work with any pokémon in essentials?

Maruno

Years
They only work on Kyurem (and can only fuse Reshiram or Zekrom to it) - all other combinations are not allowed. The item doesn't have any other effects in the official games, so they don't do anything extra in Essentials either.

Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
That being said, it would certainly be possible to change that with a bit of scripting. But you'd need to know exactly what you were doing. I think. I'm just assuming here. You could do anything and everything really, provided you create the right scripts.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
It's about time!

Another good version. I appreciate your efforts making small details like the phrases on trainer memo and possibility of translate some words.

Maruno

Years
Thanks. It may be Essentials, but that doesn't mean it needs to be shoddy.

Looks like I've put your Unova Pack out of business...

Years
could you in the next version add a search function in the editor? it's a bit hard searching through more than 600 pokemon and items(and if trainers if you got lots).

other than that this is really good. this has improved a lot since i last used pokemon essentials(half a year ago,no forms,no gen V,item icons we're a mess)

Leikaru

Back from the dead...
Years
could you in the next version add a search function in the editor? it's a bit hard searching through more than 600 pokemon and items(and if trainers if you got lots).

other than that this is really good. this has improved a lot since i last used pokemon essentials(half a year ago,no forms,no gen V,item icons we're a mess)

I second that. It's just too difficult to get the Pokémon you want now. If there was only 151, then it would be alright. Giving us a search which Filters the Pokemon at the top will make it so much easier.

Years
  • Seen Jul 6, 2022
The Mew (fateful encounter) does it work for all the legendary ones that I put in the game?

The only thing that I would have to change to every event is "pbWildBattle(PBSpecies::POKEMON,30,1)" , and to put a new switch in the second page? (for example Reset Articuno Encounter)

Maruno

Years
No need for the search function. Just press Q or W on the, Keyboard to skip Lines.
What he said. Page Up and Page Down do the same thing.

The Pokémon/items are listed alphabetically in the Editor (I believe), so it should be easy enough to find the one you're looking for with quick-scrolling. Conversely, a search feature would be an entirely new and time-consuming thing to code, and would only be used rarely by just a handful of people too lazy to scroll for 3 seconds. So no, I'm not going to do it.

The Mew (fateful encounter) does it work for all the legendary ones that I put in the game?

The only thing that I would have to change to every event is "pbWildBattle(PBSpecies::POKEMON,30,1)" , and to put a new switch in the second page? (for example Reset Articuno Encounter)
And change the cry played at the top of the first page, of course. Yes, it should work if you copy-paste it; it's not exactly complex, so there's little to mess up.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Thanks. It may be Essentials, but that doesn't mean it needs to be shoddy.

Looks like I've put your Unova Pack out of business...
Finally! But now gen 6 is coming...

I wish that Essentials have, at least, all gen 4 moves effects, abilities effects and item effects before Pokémon XY being released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back