• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Pokémon Tournament 2016: Water (Nov. 14-21)

Who are your favorites? (Choose as many as you want!)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
mgfRcWp.png

hpz4y92.png

Welcome to the fourth annual Favorite Pokémon Tournament, hosted here in Pokémon General! The goal of the Favorite Pokémon Tournament (or FPT), is to determine the most popular Pokémon of the users here at the PokéCommunity. This will be a 10-week set of polls culminating in mid-November, where we'll pit almost all the Pokémon from different types of past and present generations against each other to determine a winner. After we know the results of each type, we'll add all of those Pokémon to a final poll, where the winner(s) will be crowned champion, and will go down into the record books as PokéCommunity's favorite Pokémon of 2016!

If you are new to the Favorite Pokémon Tournament, or would just like a refresher on the rules/process of the event, please take a look at the FAQ posted below:

Spoiler:

NOTE: Because of the limited number of poll spaces, not all eligible Pokémon have been included. If you want to vote for an unlisted Water-type, check the "Other Pokémon" option represented by a (?), and leave a post with your vote.

Now that you know what the tournament is all about, what are you waiting for? Polls are open until November 21st, so get voting!

The Finalists:

Last edited:
Years
Just a reminder to everyone (since I always seem to get asked about it during the Water type poll the most), there are only so many spaces available in polls on PC, and with 120+ Pokemon being Water type, not every possible Pokemon is included in the poll. If you'd like to vote for a Pokemon you don't see here, click the "Other Pokemon" option in the poll, and leave a reply with the Pokemon you're voting for.

Happy voting everyone!

Years
Ah finally my fave type to end off the type-based rounds so I have saved this for who I view as the best Water-type Pokemon.

I mostly voted based on design, picking some popular ones like the Staryu and Slowpoke lines, along with Lapras and Vaporeon to round out 1st Gen. Other cute ones I chose included the Lotad, Marill, Frillish and Chinchou lines for their unique dual-types. Clauncher line because it seems to be one of those 6th Gen powerhouses I love, and then there's also Kyogre and Phione/Manaphy for legendary representation. A good chunk of the starters also made it in, notably the Totodile line and Piplup line (my second fave starters of their respective region), and some huge faves like the Mudkip and Froakie lines. And finally there's my mascot Oshawott and its evolutions.

While 7th Gen I won't be voting for officially until next year's event, I do also like to give the Popplio line an honorable mention for being the Alola starter I fell in love with the moment it was revealed. I'm planning to get Moon for my late birthday present (with Sun to come around Christmas) this weekend and I can't wait to get my own Popplio!

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
I like tons of Water types but to make things simple I decided to vote for just simply all the starters not named Blastoise. But I want to talk about the Totodile and Froakie lines.

With Feraligatr being the first mon I ever brought to the league/completed a game with, I can't not include it. Fast, hits hard, and solid coverage options to defeat most types. And Greninja is absolutely badass, nuff said.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
There are so many great Water Pokémon! Couldn't help myself and picked quite a few this time. Overall I'd say my favorites are probably Manaphy and Staryu, but I also really like Lotad!

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
Semi-difficult. I've got Clawitzer, Sharpedo and Milotic for non Gen-Oners. (Milotic is the top reigner of that category, for rarity and evolution method.) I've got Starmie, Slowking and Poliwrath/toed as Gen One/Twoers. Palkia and Kyogre (particularly Kyogre) earn my Legenary vote. Although Blastoise gets a vote for my fave Water Starters. (If Sun/Moon were out, I'd vote for Popplio's line.) My overall vote and hopefully champion pick would be Totodile, Croconaw and Feraligatr. Try having a starter learn Ice Punch in Gen2 and Ice Fang in Gen4. :P I'll ask for ppl to make Feraligatr champion of this tournament, but vote with your hearts. PS: I want to reach out to every Feraligatr fan in these forums. :D

Edit: Didn't notice my avatar when I made this post. Super LOL.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Lots and lots of good choices here.

Squirtle line
Poliwag line
Mudkip line
Lotad line
Kyogre
Palkia

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Oh my, here goes...

Ludicolo - The star of my VGC team this year deserves some love.
Empoleon - Is a steel penguin, what more do you want?
Lanturn - The one I would vote for if I could only choose one. I love Lanturn so much :)

EDIT: PLEASE GOD PEOPLE DON'T LET GRENINJA WIN

ElBurrito

[COLOR=#0543a8][FONT="Press Start 2P"]I'm not just
Years
Squirtle's the best water pokémon and best pokémon overall. There's no doubt about it :D
... Just ignore its stats and lack of usefulness in competitive battles...

Years
My second favourite type was kinda hard to vote fpr, in the end I went it the evolutionary lines of Squirtle, Slowpoke, Horsea, Mudkip and then Lapras :)

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
Years
Voted for more than I usually do but I couldn't leave any of these lines out:

Squirtle line: Forever and always Team SQuirtle
Totodile line: First starter I ever used? Yeah it gets a vote
Politoed: Rain battling is my bread and butter
Kingler: Nothing specific about this Pokemon other than that I've always loved and it has always been a powerhouse on the teams I have used it on
Suicune: Favorite legendary and most awe-inspiring one I've seen yet
Froakie line: Can't leave a top 5 favorite line off the voting list, Frogadier and Greninja are just truly amazing

Last but not least:

Buizel line: All i'm gonna say is that its my favorite line ever with Buizel being my #1 and used whenever possible. Such a cool design, with a battle style that fits me perfectly and has my favorite move, Aqua Jet.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
Years
Quite a few great Water-types in this selection!

• Horsea line
  • Staryu line
  • Chinchou line
  • Carvanha line
  • Piplup line
  • Palkia
  • Clauncher line

Also voted other as Finneon & Lumineon aren't on that list but totally deserve a shoutout. <3

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
Voted for quite a few.

Squirtle line
Slowpoke line
Vaporeon
Totodile line
Suicune
Mudkip line
Lotad line
Feebas/Milotic
Kyogre
Oshawott line

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 31, 2018
The Poliwag line = Poliwrath is the best Water/Fighting-type ever (screw you, Keldeo). Plus, Politoed is love, Politoed is life.
Suicune = Suicune was the first legendary I ever encountered. (Crystal was the first game I ever played through entirely. I started Yellow first, but I was like 5 and never finished it.) Regardless, Suicune holds a special place in my heart for no other reason than nostalgia.
Piplup line = Really, just Empoleon. Water/Steel is such a cool typing, and I hold the unpopular opinion of really loving Empoleon's design.
Other: Quagsire and Corphish.
Quagsire = His debut episode in the Johto anime remains one of my favorite Pokemon episodes of all time. Quagsire has such a great sense of humor, and Unaware was a genius way of representing that in terms of actual gameplay.
Corphish = Crawdaunt is cool and all, don't get me wrong, but Corphish is that special brand of lovable derp. It's simply... Corphish.

Back