• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Script Help Thread (DO NOT REQUEST SCRIPTS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
I don't know to do with that script. I'll just surrender,because this script does weird things like making the egg never hatch when i changed Celebi's steps to hatching to 60.
And yes, how can i change Mew's level in Faraway Island?
I think it is:
Spoiler:

but i just want to be sure...

Never give up, how do you think all the greatest scripters got where they are.
Look at LinkandZelda.
After so many years, he's still working on Pokemon Liquid Crystal.
You can do this, I know you can.
I'll go ahead and revise your script...
Revised (Left this window open while I did it.)
If you want to use this script you need to be using XSE Ver 1.1.1.
No Earlier, as it doesn't support the Combining of MSGBOX and boxset commands...

Changes are in BOLD RED
Code:
[b][color=red]//Comments: I made this script Dynamic for you.
//This not only makes the script easier to insert,
//But also makes it much less of a chance of
//Overwriting important data.
//You should be able to insert this script and have it run perfect, I tested it.

#dynamic 0x800000[/color][/b]

#org [b][color=red]@start[/color][/b]
lock
faceplayer
checkflag [b][color=red]0x1000  //I changed this flag for safety[/color][/b]
if 0x1 goto [b][color=red]@after[/color][/b]
msgbox [b][color=red]@egg 0x5 //You are using an older XSE, please update![/color][/b]
compare LASTRESULT 0x0
if 0x1 goto [b][color=red]@no[/color][/b]
countpokemon
compare LASTRESULT 0x6
if 0x1 goto [b][color=red]@manypokes[/color][/b]
msgbox [b][color=red]@giveegg 0x6[/color][/b]
setflag [b][color=red]0x1000[/color][/b]
fanfare 0x172
msgbox [b][color=red]@gotegg 0x4 //Boxset 4 works better for this than MSGBOX2 IMO[/color][/b]
waitfanfare
[b][color=red]closeonkeypress //Needed for the Boxset 4[/color][/b]
giveegg [b][color=red]0xFB  //HEX'd[/color][/b]
release
end

'-----------------------[b][color=red]//The Rest are very MINOR changes so I didn't Bold/Red them[/color][/b]
#org @after
msgbox @aftertext 0x6
release
end

'-----------------------
#org @no
msgbox @notext 0x6
release
end

'-----------------------
#org @manypokes
msgbox @manypokestext 0x6
release
end

'---------
' Strings
'---------
#org @egg
= I have here an EGG.\pI'd hoped to hatch it by covering it in\nhot sand by the hot springs.\lBut that doesn't seem to be enough[.]\pI've heard it would be best if it were\nkept together with POKéMON and\lcarried about.\pYou are a TRAINER, yes?\nAnd your POKéMON radiate vitality.\pSo, what say you?\nWill you take this EGG to hatch?

#org @giveegg
= Good! I hope you'll walk plenty with\nthis here EGG!

#org @gotegg
= [player] received the EGG.

#org @aftertext
= Every so often, an EGG will be found at\nthe POKéMON DAY CARE.\pOr at least that's how the rumor goes.

#org @notext
= As you wish, then[.]\pIf you have a change of heart about\nhatching this EGG, I will be here.

#org @manypokestext
= Oh? You've too many POKéMON.\nThere's no room for this EGG[.]

Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2010
Im a scripting noob and i need help when ever i put this script in my game nothing puts the npc doesnt even look at me im using pokescript
# org $script
lock
faceplayer
message $talk 1
$talk 1 = Hello.
boxset 6
release
end

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Im a scripting noob and i need help when ever i put this script in my game nothing puts the npc doesnt even look at me im using pokescript
# org $script
lock
faceplayer
message $talk 1
$talk 1 = Hello.
boxset 6
release
end

First off, I recommend you switch to XSE, as it's more up do date with commands. Second, Be sure you actually compiled it into the right spot. Other that that, there's not much I can see wrong. Maybe change boxset 6 to 2.

Geeked

Pokemon Crimson Version
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 9, 2012
@redfable

Try this

Code:
#org $script
lock
faceplayer
message $talk
$talk 1 = Hello.
boxset 6
release
end

Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2010
First off, I recommend you switch to XSE, as it's more up do date with commands. Second, Be sure you actually compiled it into the right spot. Other that that, there's not much I can see wrong. Maybe change boxset 6 to 2.
Ok since i am noob do you know any good tuts for xse? I am a big noob
Edit: Geeked it didnt work

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
# org $script
lock
faceplayer
message $talk 1
$talk 1 = Hello.
boxset 6
release
end

I hate you all.
If you're going to try to help someone, at least do it right.

Code:
#org $script
lock
faceplayer
message $talk
boxset 6
release
end

#org $talk
$talk 1 =Hello.

And in case you have a change of heart and do this in XSE. (I'll be able to help much more if you do.)

Code:
//XSE ONLY
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
message @talk 6
release
end

#org @talk
= Hello.

As for a tutorial, XSE comes with one built in. Just open XSE and press the F2 key on your Keyboard.

Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2010
I hate you all.
If you're going to try to help someone, at least do it right.

Code:
#org $script
lock
faceplayer
message $talk
boxset 6
release
end

#org $talk
$talk 1 =Hello.

And in case you have a change of heart and do this in XSE. (I'll be able to help much more if you do.)

Code:
//XSE ONLY
#dynamic 0x800000

#org @start
lock
faceplayer
message @talk 6
release
end

#org @talk
= Hello.

As for a tutorial, XSE comes with one built in. Just open XSE and press the F2 key on your Keyboard.
I must be doing something wrong because i tryied them both and they did not work something must be wrong when i put it on advance map

Geeked

Pokemon Crimson Version
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 9, 2012
@Omega Arsenal, my script does work. So don't make comments that If I do it I should do it right.

redfable, your probably using the wrong offset you get from Pokescript, use the one at the top.

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
I must be doing something wrong because i tryied them both and they did not work something must be wrong when i put it on advance map

Assuming you're using a clean ROM, and you've never inserted anything into 0x800000 before, you should be able to just type 800000 into the A-Map Script Box for the person and it should work.

Also, did you make sure to set up the sprite to run scripts?
You have to set some of the parameters on him/her to do that.
I don't remember the numbers by heart, but you can find out easy.

Open up XSE, press F2, and go to the section about using A-Map with XSE.

Look at the images, and you should see the needed numbers to put in their respective boxes.
After that the script should work just fine.

@Omega Arsenal, my script does work. So don't make comments that If I do it I should do it right.

redfable, your probably using the wrong offset you get from Pokescript, use the one at the top.

Your script was poorly written IMO.
It was missing some things, and is just plain painful to see.
It's just an opinion, you can write them however you want, but instead of just slathering up your post with a script saying HERE USE THIS, try explaining a bit what you did, maybe offer an alternative to his problem.

Don't freak out if you get negative criticism, it will happen, you just gotta learn to react appropriately.

That being said, if you have any more 'comments' on the matter please VM me, let's not clutter the thread with unneeded squabbling.

Last edited:

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
Okay, I'm a total noob at scripting, and it is a total new language to me so can somebody help me? I think I got the basics down (atleast up to my understanding) but ExSE (or whatever the thing is called) won't let me compile it into the game. I'm guessing something is wrong, what is it?

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Ki77y666

I'm with stupid ^
Years
Okay, I'm a total noob at scripting, and it is a total new language to me so can somebody help me? I think I got the basics down (atleast up to my understanding) but ExSE (or whatever the thing is called) won't let me compile it into the game. I'm guessing something is wrong, what is it?

Spoiler:

It compiles for me but i did find a few things that did not need there here is the script that has the unnecessary stuff taken out.
Spoiler:

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years

It compiles for me but i did find a few things that did not need there here is the script that has the unnecessary stuff taken out.
Spoiler:
Thanks, but I have just one more question. Do scripts only hold a certain amount of data? As in, can you only script soo much in one script until it breaks the limit with it and can't be compiled into the game? If so that could explain why this script won't work, as I only overrided the "Oak taking you to his lab" script.

Chad -

Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2012
Thanks, but I have just one more question. Do scripts only hold a certain amount of data? As in, can you only script soo much in one script until it breaks the limit with it and can't be compiled into the game? If so that could explain why this script won't work, as I only overrided the "Oak taking you to his lab" script.

If you are composing a new, non-existing script, you can put as much data/commands as you want in that script. Realistically speaking, I'm sure you won't need to ever make a script that takes up the whole space in the ROM.

However, if you modify an existing script, in your case "OAK taking you to his lab", you might add more space than the script can handle. Suppose an existing, Nintendo made script takes up to 30 bytes. If you modify something in the script, and the size of the script stays 30 bytes or less, it's okay. BUT if it exceeds 30 bytes, then another script (maybe a following script) might be overwrote, causing the script to "not work" or crash.

My advice is to write your own scripts and leave the Nintendo-made ones alone. I hope this answers your question. Is it easy to understand?

Last edited:
Years
Hey guys, can u check out this rival script, i think there is something wrong.

#org $first
jingle
message $1
$1 1 = Hey you!
boxset 6
clearflag 0x1215
showsprite 4
applymovement 4 $walk
$walk 1 ; #binary 0x10 0x10 0x10 0x13 0x13 0x13 0xFE
pausemove 0
applymovement 0xFF $look
$look 1 ; #binary 0x03 0xFE
pausemove 0
trainerbattle 0x00 0x01 $see $win
$see 1 = Battle me!
$win 1 = I lost!
boxset 6
applymovement 4 $walk2
$walk2 1 ; #binary 0x12 0x12 0x12 0x11 0x11 0x11 0xFE
pausemove 0
removesprite 4
setflag 0x1215
setvar 0x6000 0x0001
release
end

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
If you are composing a new, non-existing script, you can put as much data/commands as you want in that script. Realistically speaking, I'm sure you won't need to ever make a script that takes up the whole space in the ROM.

However, if you modify an existing script, in your case "OAK taking you to his lab", you might add more space than the script can handle. Suppose an existing, Nintendo made script takes up to 30 bytes. If you modify something in the script, and the size of the script stays 30 bytes or less, it's okay. BUT if it exceeds 30 bytes, then another script (maybe a following script) might be overwrote, causing the script to "not work" or crash.

My advice is to write your own scripts and leave the Nintendo-made ones alone. I hope this answers your question. Is it easy to understand?
Yeah, I understand. But if a game is heavily based on scripts, would it be good to make all of the scripts new/non-existant? Would it take up a lot of space in the ROM?

Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2011
@1-up, this is probably unrelated to your main problem, but I notice that you have the following sequence in your script:
Spoiler:

I'm pretty sure you need a seperate "goto" for flag 0x828, as follows:
Spoiler:

As it is, the goto only applies to your second checkflag.

Nah, this works just how I wanted it. I was surprised myself, but the other way, adding a goto after both, repeats the message twice, rather than check for both in one, like I set it up.

@Metapod
Are you sure JPAN's Hacked Engine has been patched to your rom? All of the original scripts in the game are wiped clean, right? Otherwise, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

And as I said before, the game puts the sethealingplace command in the Header, which is nowhere in the map itself. The Header is for scripts that activate when you enter the map, not for tile scripts.

Yup, sure did. Exaclty why I'm getting fustrated with this. I may end up having to hint to the player that when you white out, its game over, lol...

Man I want this fixed.. :(

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
Yeah, I understand. But if a game is heavily based on scripts, would it be good to make all of the scripts new/non-existant? Would it take up a lot of space in the ROM?
Well, it depends. Sometimes it may be best to create a new non-existant script, but it'll be better to just edit in-built scripts. For Example, you could keep all the trainer battles and just edit the trainers with the help of a tool. That way, you'll save up time and effort. And even if you do complete your hack, I doubt all the space in the rom will be filled up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back