The PokéCommunity Forums Create & Discover Fan Fiction and Writing
Pokémon Pokémon AgateRed and JadeGreen (Chapter 2: HeartGold & SoulSilver)

Fan Fiction and Writing Have a story you want to share? Or in the mood to sit back and read one, instead? Then come hang out here!

Old August 1st, 2018 (11:52 AM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Road_to_Cerulean.
A Ordinary Kanto Lover

Nature: Modest
    Introduction to the whole fan fiction:
    Spoiler:
    View post #1 in Chapter 1.

Features of this fiction:
    Spoiler:
    View post #1 in Chapter 1.

Currently planned chapters:
    Spoiler:
    Chapter 1: FireRed & LeafGreen
    Chapter 2: HeartGold & SoulSilver
    Chapter 3: Black & White
    Chapter 4: Black 2 & White 2
    Chapter 5: X & Y
    Chapter 6: Sun & Moon
    Chapter 7: Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Introduction to the second chapter:
    Spoiler:
    Pokémon AgateRed and JadeGreen (HeartGold and SoulSilver Chapter), abbreviated HGSS Chapter or Chapter 2, is the 2nd chapter of the Pokémon AgateRed and JadeGreen fan fiction. It is set at the time three years after the major events in Chapter 1. A young Pokémon Trainer, Ethan, turns 11 and sets his feet outside of his hometown, New Bark Town, for the first time. After covering the entire area of his home region, Johto, he visits the homeland of his predecessors in Kanto, which lies directly on the east on the same continent.

This chapter is divided into 2 seasons:
    Spoiler:
    Season 1 (AJS03): HeartGold & SoulSilver (Episode 1 - 30, AJ055 - AJ084)
    Season 2 (AJS04): HGSS: Post-League Quests (Episode 31 - 50, AJ085 - AJ104)

Warning: May contain uncomfortable contents for some readers, including:
    Spoiler:
    1. Shipping. Shipping is a common feature in this fan fiction, and I believe that most of Pokémon fans are shippers for at least one couple. If you do not support my shippings, simply turn away. There must be lots of fanfictions on your favorable shippings.

2. Slight violence. Pokémon battles featured in this fiction may be considered violent by some viewers, but it is a necessary component in a Pokémon fan fiction. Episodes related to antagonists are also consisted of violence (including minor language violence). Deaths are rare but not excluded, considering the ghost Marowak in Lavender Town. However, this is not a horror fiction, so do not worry about excessive negative respects.

3. Dark elements. Where there is light, there is darkness.

Other notices:
    Spoiler:
    1. Prologue is at #2. Character introduction is at #3. And Episode 1 is at #4. Please don't reply until I post Episode 1. Any feedback and suggestion is highly appreciated.

2. Before I post the final epiosde, I suggest viewers PM me (to not interrupt the story). After the final episode is posted, you can either PM me or directly leave messages in this thread. (Chapter 2 has 50 episodes. I'll make notices when it is finished.)

3. Some already posted episodes may be updated for minor error correction.

Now let the story begin!

Pallet Town, the birthplace of heroes
    Pokémon AgateRed and JadeGreen (Chapter 1 Finished, Chapter 2 In Progress)
    My remixed music list: Here
    Old August 1st, 2018 (11:53 AM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by Road_to_Cerulean.
    A Ordinary Kanto Lover

Prologue (Apparently a corruption of Professor Oak's intro)
      Spoiler:
      ...... Hmm... Interesting... ... Huh? Oh! Excuse me, sorry! I was just reading this book here.

Sorry to keep you waiting! Welcome to the world of Pokémon! Before we go any further, I'd like to tell you a few things you should know about this world! This world is widely inhabited by creatures known as Pokémon. We humans live alongside Pokémon as friends. At times we play together, and at other times we work together. Some people use their Pokémon to battle and develop closer bonds with them.

Now, why don't you tell me a little bit about yourself?

1. Are you a boy, or are you a girl? Won't you please tell me?
      Spoiler:

Hmm, you've made the correct answer, I think.

2. Please tell me your name.
      Spoiler:

Your name is [player]? So that's it. A good name is the primary advertisement of oneself.

3. Do you want to become a Pokémon Trainer?
      Spoiler:

You sound sincere. That's great!

[Player]! Are you ready? Your very own tale of grand adventure is about to unfold. Fun experiences, difficult experiences, there's so much waiting for you! Dreams! Adventure! Let's go to the world of Pokémon! I'll see you later!

Old August 1st, 2018 (11:55 AM). Edited 2 Days Ago by Road_to_Cerulean.
      A Ordinary Kanto Lover

Warning: Spoilers alert in the character parts!
        Main Characters:
        Spoiler:
        No. 201 Ethan (ヒビキ)
        Spoiler:

Birthday: November 21st (Scorpio)
        Blood Type: O
        Height: 149 cm
        Weight: 45 kg
        Eye Color: Goldenrod
        Hair Color: Black
        Origin: New Bark Town, Johto
        Legal Residence: New Bark Town, Johto
        Relatives: Unnamed Mother
        Game Counterpart: Ethan
        Anime Counterpart: Jimmy, Cameo
        Manga Counterpart: Gold
        Dislikes: Volcanoes, Salty Food, Cheaters

No. 202 Silver (シルバー)
        Spoiler:

Birthday: December 14th (Sagittarius)
        Blood Type: AB
        Height: 149 cm
        Weight: 46 kg
        Eye Color: Silver
        Hair Color: Dark Red
        Origin: Viridian City, Kanto
        Legal Residence: Unknown
        Relatives: Giovanni (Father)
        Game Counterpart: Silver
        Anime Counterpart: Cameo
        Manga Counterpart: Silver
        Dislikes: Pubs, White Clothing, Gossips

Supporting Characters:
        Spoiler:
        No. 110 Professor Oak (オーキド博士)
        No. 174 Lance (ワタル)
        No. 210 Professor Elm (ウツギ博士)
        No. 212 Mr. Pokémon (ポケモンじいさん)
        No. 213 Kurt (ガンテツ)
        No. 214 Maizie (チエ)
        No. 215 Eusine (ミナキ)
        No. 216 DJ Mary (クルミ)

Returning Main Characters:
        Spoiler:
        (Currently unavailable)

Antagonists:
        Spoiler:
        No. 241 Archer (アポロ)
        No. 242 Ariana (アテナ)
        No. 243 Proton (ランス)
        No. 244 Petrel (ラムダ)
        Plus all the other Team Rocket members

Episode list: (Click on the link to save your time):
        Spoiler:

Old August 1st, 2018 (11:57 AM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by Road_to_Cerulean.
        A Ordinary Kanto Lover

Season 1: HeartGold & SoulSilver
          Episode 1: A Brand New Adventure (新人トレーナーと斬新なる冒険)
          Spoiler:
          [7:00 AM, November 21, New Bark Town]
          In the spring years before, a shocking incident took place in Kanto, one of the major regions on this Pokémon world. The swollen, overbearing criminal gang, Team Rocket, fell apart under the alliance of several young Pokémon Trainers. With the ending of the evil group, a dark production chain was wiped out related to illegal Pokémon poaching and trading…

And as times flies to the winter two and a half years later, let's focus our attention on Kanto's neighboring region, Johto.

On the border of the twin regions, there lies a small, quiet, peaceful town, New Bark Town. Season changes are not very dramatic here, making the climate mild and comfortable all year round. Breezing in the zephyr at the outside, you will never want to leave such a beautiful place. To make full use of the wind, wind turbines have been built everywhere in the town. Some residents have even erected their own mini windmills on the roofs to reduce electricity cost. New Bark Town is titled "The Town Where Winds of a New Beginning Blow", for it is the place where many Trainers set off to their Pokémon journey.

"Phone… keys… wallet… journal…… and it's done!"

In the bedroom on the 2nd floor of a small villa, a boy is organizing his stuff of his shoulder bag on his desk. He carefully checks everything to make sure nothing is left behind. Apart from the bag, he has a 14-inch laptop and a red lamp on the desk. Next to the desk is a bookshelf crammed with science magazines, math and physics textbooks, and Pokémon biology encyclopedias.

The young man's name is Ethan. He just turned 11 today. A week ago, he passed the Trainer's Qualification Test (TQT) with a rather high score, obtaining a Trainer's Card with relative ease. He soon made an appointment with Professor Elm, the local Pokémon professor living close to him, for the acceptance of his starter Pokémon.

Making the final confirmation, Ethan goes downstairs to meet his mother cooking breakfast in the kitchen. Never can a solid sliding door prevent the naughty gas molecules from sneaking past and poking Ethan's nose nerves.

"Good morning, mom!" greets Ethan.

"Ethan! You're down here! Just for another 5 minutes!" responds mom.

While Ethan is filling his stomach, mom says affectionately, "Today's your 11th birthday, my boy. First, congrats on you growing up more a bit!"

"Thank you, mom."

"And you're a teenager now. You're not a baby relying on mom anymore. How time flies!" says mom, "I can't wait to imagine the day when you become a handsome, strong man! While I'll be a dull, wrinkled old lady……"

"Come on, mom." says Ethan, "You're only 32. It's still more than 40 years before you're eligible for being called an old lady!"

"Ethan, you're so sweet!" Mom is delighted, "And don't forget your appointment with Professor Elm! You only have three quarters left!"

"Never mind, mom." says Ethan, "I've made a trial walk there. It's only one fifth mile from home."

"OK. That sounds good." Mom brings Ethan's empty plate back to kitchen.

Saying farewell with his dear mother, Ethan puts on his light shoulder bag and leaves home.

Facing the south, there is a rectangular lake in the west, separating two hills on the north and the south side. This lake serves as the border landscape of Johto and Kanto, with the border line at approximately two fifths from the Johto side. The nearest residence is about half a mile south of Ethan's house, which itself is at the northeastern corner. The current total population of New Bark Town is 219, just the same as Pallet Town, its Kantonese counterpart.

Ten minutes later, and Ethan is at the front gate of Professor Elm's laboratory. The lab is a 2-storey building, with the lab hall on the ground floor and Elm's home on the second, connected to the outside indirectly via an internal passage to the lab hall and directly via a set of stairs on the eastern side. If one plans to visit his house, he can go up the stairs to avoid interrupting the work in the lab.

Before Ethan can go in, he notices that, out of a window on the west side of the lab, behind the mailbox, there is a boy with long, red hair and black clothes peeping secretly into the lab.

Is he too timid to knock on the door? No, it can't be, because the boy does not have a hesitated expression. Instead, he seems to be plotting something suspiciously in his mind.

"Hey, there. What're you doin' here?" Ethan walks up and asks that boy.

Startled by Ethan's unexpected presence, the boy raises his leg and tries to kick Ethan. Ethan would be hit in the crotch if he did not back off for a step in time.

"Wah! You're so rude doing this to me!" Ethan is annoyed.

"…… What are you staring at, you punk?" The boy gives Ethan a cold reply, "Just go away and stop disturbing me. Shoo!"

What an impudent guy! Ethan puts the boy aside and enters the lab.

[7:45 AM, November 21, Professor Elm's lab]
          "Good morning, Professor Elm!" Ethan greets the professor in glasses.

"Hi, Ethan! I'm been waiting for you! You're not late!" Professor Elm comes out with a folder of files, "As appointed, you can have a partner Pokémon from me. Come with me, Ethan!"

Professor Elm leads Ethan to a machine holding three Poké Balls. Each ball is kept respectively in a round slot, attached with an electronic label. The three labels read "Chikorita (Grass)", "Cyndaquil (Fire)" and "Totodile (Water)".

"And which Pokémon would you choose, Ethan?" asks Professor Elm.

Ethan thinks for a while before he points to Cyndaquil's Poké Ball, "I decided I'll choose it!"

"Good." Professor Elm opens the container glass, and Ethan picks up the ball. He triggers the button on the ball, and a tiny Pokémon with a long snout and squinty eyes is released.

"Nice to meet you, Cyndaquil." Ethan reaches a hand out to greet Cyndaquil. Cyndaquil reacts by patting on his hand with one of its short, non-tipped forelegs and squeaks happily.

"Ding-dong! A mail! A mail!" A tone rings on Professor Elm's desktop while Ethan is playing with his new teammate. The total volume of received emails in the inbox is 1,999.

"Oh, hey, I got an email!" Professor Elm checks his inbox, before he turns back to Ethan, "... Hm... Uh-huh... OK... It's from one of my acquaintances that people call Mr. Pokémon. Do you know him? He's someone who keeps finding weird things and raving about his discoveries. Anyway, I just got an email from him saying that this time it's real."

"What's that real, weird thing?" asks Ethan.

"It's probably another Pokémon Egg." answers Professor Elm, "Em, it's…"

"A Pokémon Egg? Where Pokémon are hatched from?" asks Ethan.

"Yeah, probably." says Professor Elm, "I would be going if we weren't so busy with our Pokémon researches… Since you've chosen a Pokémon, could you go in our place?"

"Sure." Ethan accepts the task, "Where does he live?"

"His house is past Cherrygrove City. Go north through Route 30 a little and you're there. It might take some time, but that's just it."

"OK. I'll go… Wait!" Ethan tries to leave the lab before he suddenly realizes something wrong.

"What's the matter, Ethan?"

"I saw somebody looking through the window into your lab!" cries Ethan as he points to the window outside of which the boy is supposed to be standing, "Here!"

"What? Is it a thief?" Professor Elm quickly walks out of his lab and checks the position that Ethan mentioned, but what he sees are only trees and fences.

"Excuse me, Ethan, but did you misperceive?"

"Not at all! I saw him with my eyes!" Ethan answers firmly, "I think he was scared by our footsteps and sneaked away into the woods!"

"Fine. Better than letting him in. Are you leaving now?"

"Yeah. I have to contact Mr. Pokémon."

"Before you go, let's register our phone numbers." The professor and the Trainer exchange phone numbers, "So that I can call you if anything comes up."

"… Good. " Ethan puts away the phone and Cyndaquil's Poké Ball, "I'll go now. Bye, Professor Elm!"

[8:23 AM, November 21, Route 29]
          As the first route connected to a Trainer's hometown, Route 29 is full of patches of tall grasses and one-way ledges. Moreover, some small, Cut-table bushes grow in the middle of some pathways, blocking the way for anyone who does not have Cut the Hidden Machine.

In the middle of the northern side of Route 29, there is a gate facing north, with a sign beside the door, reading,
          Spoiler:
          NORTH: ROUTE 46
          WRONG WAY. DO NOT ENTER

Before Ethan proceeds to Cherrygrove City, he and Cyndaquil perform some practice battles with wild Pokémon, including Sentret, Rattata and Pidgey, raising Cyndaquil's level and strength. When Cyndaquil is tired, he picks Oran Berries from a close berry tree to restore the fire rodent's health.

[10:00 AM, November 21, Cherrygrove City]
          One and a half hours later, Ethan is a little out of energy, so he rests Cyndaquil and himself at the Pokémon Center at Cherrygrove, a small city on the shore of the sea.

As he exits the red-roofed building, Ethan is called by an old man with long, white goatee.

"Hey, young man! You're a rookie Trainer, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am. How do you know, grandpa?"

"People gain experience as they grow old. Just a glance and I know what kind of people they are." The old man says smilingly, "If you don't mind, I can teach you a few things."

The old man shows Ethan around the city, introducing the Pokémon Center, the Poké Mart and other various kinds of landscapes to him. Though small in scale itself, Cherrygrove City is home to the largest manmade garden of Johto. Flowers of diverse colors bloom in it, pleasing the eyes of every tourist around it. To protect the garden from devastation, Cherrygrove has carried out severe punishments for deliberate damages.

"OK. The last thing, young man. As soon as you step on Route 30, you'll face diverse types of Trainers. If you're not in the mood for battles, then try to avoid their sights. You'll never know if the Trainer's too stubborn to let you leave without determining the result…" After the brief tour, the old man warns Ethan before they split at the old man's home.

"Many thanks, grandpa. I wish you a healthy body and long live."

"Haha. I enjoy talking with youngsters like you!" The old man laughs merrily before he leaves.
          --End of Epsiode 1--
          Save File:
          Spoiler:
          Player: Ethan
          Time: Day 1
          Pokédex: Seen 4, Owned 1
          Badges: 0

Old August 2nd, 2018 (9:19 PM). Edited 2 Days Ago by Road_to_Cerulean.
          A Ordinary Kanto Lover

Episode 2: Laboratory Emergency (研究所盗難?怪しい赤髪の少年!)
            Spoiler:
            [10:48 AM, November 21, Route 30]
            Exiting Cherrygrove City from the north, Pokémon Trainer Ethan is on his way to Mr. Pokémon's house, who he is trying to contact on behalf of Professor Elm. He just passes by a little pond and a patch of tall grass, from which he is watched by curious wild Pokémon, such as Caterpie, Poliwag and Magikarp.

"Rattata, Tackle!"

As Ethan proceeds, he hears some battling noise from in front. It turns out to be two Youngsters in blue caps and yellow T-shirts commanding their Pokémon to fight. One of them uses a Rattata, while the other uses a Pidgey. Unfortunately, they occupies the whole width of the entire route, and it is too dangerous to directly cross the battlefield while the battle is on the way.

"Excuse me, you two. I have some important matters. Would you let me pass?" Ethan asks the Youngsters.

"What? Can't you see we're in the middle of an important fight? Just wait for some minutes, will you?" The Youngster with Rattata pushes Ethan away without even sparing a glance at him.

Are children growing more impolite nowadays? Ethan is frustrated but he cannot pass anyway.

Just then, Ethan notices a road sign. One of the arrows on the sign reads "Mr. Pokémon's house" while it points at a direction different from where the path is blocked. It proves to be that an unnoticeable side path rather than the main road leads to Ethan's destination.

Following the arrowed sign, Ethan spots a brown bungalow at the edge of some woods. Outside of the bungalow is a mailbox, next to which there is a short tree. A spherical fruit grows on a branch of the tree. Ethan touches the fruit. It is hard. It does not seem that its peel can be bitten open easily.

Ethan knocks on the door. Seconds later, an old gentleman opens the door. He is Mr. Pokémon.

"Hello, hello! You must be Ethan. Professor Elm just told me you'd visit. Come in!"

In Mr. Pokémon's house, the old man opens the shelf and takes out an oval object. The object is mainly white, with some red, spherical, and blue, triangular, hollow shapes on the surface.

"And this is what I want Professor Elm to examine. Please send it to him for me." Mr. Pokémon gives Ethan the oval object. Ethan weighs the object. It is not very heavy, at least not heavier than a laptop. He sticks his ear onto the object, and is able to hear some faint sounds from inside.

"This Egg was given to me from a friend of Ecruteak. It is from Sinnoh, and can be rarely found in Johto. I think Elm can tell what it actually is. Please be careful when you carry it. In other words, treat it as a fragile electronic device!"

After Ethan puts away the object into his bag, he notices that there is another man other than Mr. Pokémon himself inside the house. The man is with gray-white hair and thick eyebrows. He wears a white shirt, a yellow coat and brown pants.

"Professor Oak! I've heard about you!" Ethan cries out in surprise.

"Haha. Glad you recognize me." laughs Professor Oak, "Let me introduce myself again. I'm Oak, a Pokémon researcher! Mr. Pokémon is my old friend. I heard Elm asked you to run an errand for him, so I waited here. Elm must have given you a Pokémon. Can I see it?"

"Sure. Go, Cyndaquil!" Ethan lets Cyndaquil out of the Poké Ball. Cyndaquil is not afraid to face strangers, as it ignites the flame on the back to show its vigor and strength.

"How lively your Cyndaquil is!" compliments Professor Oak, "You must be taking good care of it! I think I understand why Elm gave you that Pokémon."

"Have you read any of Professor Oak's publications?" says Mr. Pokémon, "If you say yes, then I bet you have only seen the very small tip of an iceberg! Even a 2-floor house is unable to store all of the professor's works!"

"Ahaha… I think so." says Ethan.

"You look earnest and dependable, Ethan. And that's why I decide to give you this." Professor Oak takes out a gold device from his pocket and gives it to Ethan, "This is the latest version of the Pokédex. It automatically records any data of the Pokémon you've seen or captured. In short, it's a high-tech encyclopedia! Have you learned how to capture Pokémon?"

"Just throw a Poké Ball at the weakened wild Pokémon and try my luck. Is that it?"

"You're absolutely correct. Carefulness is what you possess." says Professor Oak, "Now turn on the Pokédex, and try to find the info about Cyndaquil!"

Ethan boots the device, and an empty list of Pokémon appears on the screen. He slides down the list until he reaches the 155th slot, where he finds Cyndaquil's basic information:
            Spoiler:
            Page 1:
            Spoiler:
            No. 155 Cyndaquil
            Type: Fire
            Category: Fire Mouse Pokémon
            Height (Average): 1'08'' (0.50 m)
            Weight (Average): 17.47 lbs. (7.90 kg)
            Gender Ratio: 87.5% male, 12.5% female
            Description: It is timid, and always curls itself up in a ball. If attacked, it flares up its back for protection.
            Area: Unknown

Page 2:
            Spoiler:
            ID: 89311
            Current Level: 7
            Nickname: None
            Original Trainer (OT): Ethan
            Ability: Blaze (Powers up Fire-type moves when the Pokémon's HP is low.)
            Trainer Memo: Hardy nature. Met at New Bark Town at Lv5.
            Known Moves: Tackle (Normal), Smokescreen (Normal)

"Hmm. It's convenient to view my party's info at any time with the Pokédex. I also don't have to remember exactly what moves my Pokémon have learned…" thinks Ethan.

"Ring! Ring! Ring!" Ethan's phone rings. It is a call from Professor Elm.

"Hello? Professor Elm?"

"Ethan! It… it's a disaster! Um, um, it's just terrible! What… what should I do?" Professor Elm stammers on the other side of the phone.

"Calm down, Professor Elm. Tell me what happened!"

"Um, um… it's hard to explain in brief! Just get back here! Now!" The phone then clicks cut.

As Ethan puts away the phone, he says to the both old men, "As you've seen, Professor Elm is in emergency. I've to hurry to his lab quick."

"Never mind." says Mr. Pokémon, "Just make sure your Pokémon is in good health."

"And I have to go, too." Says Professor Oak, "My next radio show will be at Goldenrod Radio Tower in hours! Ethan, let's exchanger our phone numbers just to be on the safe side."

Ethan registers the phone numbers with both men, before he leaves the bungalow and starts to dash across the plain.

[11:56 AM, November 21, Cherrygrove City]
            When Ethan is exiting Cherrygrove City from the east, he fails to spot a figure running towards his side, nor does the figure notice Ethan's presence. In the end, both of them run into each other and bump their heads badly.

"Ouch!" Ethan rubs on his forehead, before he realizes what he just bumped into, "You! Aren't you the suspicious guy peeping into Professor Elm's lab?"

"Humph. Are you happy we met again?" The boy with red hair smirks sinisterly.

"Are… are you the one who caused a disaster in the lab? What did you do?" questions Ethan.

"What did I do? I just made my first step to becoming the world's greatest Trainer. I know you got a Pokémon from that glasses' lab, too. What a waste for that Pokémon to be with a wimp like you. If I weren't in a rush, I'll show what I mean here. Now, stay outta my way!"

The boy rudely pushes Ethan out of his way and runs ahead. At that moment, Ethan finds that a card accidentally falls out of the boy's pocket. He picks it up and reads:
            Spoiler:
            Name: Silver
            Birth Date: December 14, PG2007
            Qualified Date: August 15, PG2018
            Trainer ID: 015945200712141078

"Give it back! That's my Trainer's Card!" The boy gets aware of his loss of the card and turns back. He snatches the card from Ethan's hand, and continues on his run, fading out of sight in no time.

If it were not for his hatred for vulgar words, Ethan would burst out on the spot. He tries to remember the physical look of the boy, before he goes on his way to Professor Elm's lab.

[12:20 PM, November 21, Professor Elm's lab]
            "… And that's the basic information of the Pokémon theft case." When Ethan arrives at the lab, Professor Elm is doing an interview with a policeman.

"Excuse me! What's going on, Professor Elm?" asks Ethan.

"Ethan! This is terrible. One of the starter Pokémon is stolen!" explains a worried Professor Elm.

Ethan looks at the machine holding the starter Pokémon. Chikorita's Poké Ball remains where it is, but Totodile's one has disappeared without a trace.

"So Totodile was stolen… But how did the thief open the machine?" Ethan is a little confused.

"Do you remember what the thief looks like, Mr. Elm?" asks the policeman.

"I know!" cries Ethan, "It's a boy with red, long hair, in black shirt and purple pants! I happened to see him on the outskirts of Cherrygrove! I saw his name on his Trainer's Card! It's Silver!"

"I see. So Silver is the thief's name. Thanks for helping our investigation. The next assignment is to search for the red-haired individual." The policeman puts away the notebook and leaves the lab.

After the record is over, Ethan takes out the Egg from the bag and shows it to Professor Elm.

"So this Egg is Mr. Pokémon's discovery?" says Professor Elm after he adjusts his glasses and looks closer, "Mr. Pokémon is always fascinated by Eggs. Well, since he gave it to us, we might as well find out what secret it holds. I'll keep it for a while to find out about the Egg. Maybe we can discover a new species of Pokémon… By the way, did you meet Professor Oak?"

"Yes. He was with Mr. Pokémon." answers Ethan as he give the Egg to Professor Elm, "He gave me a Pokédex, too!"

"What? Professor Oak gave you a Pokédex?" Professor Elm is excited, "In… Incredible! Professor Oak is superb at seeing the potential of Trainers. Ethan, I knew you're a little different! You keep impressing me since we first met when you were only 5!"

"You're flattering me, Professor Elm…" Ethan turns a shy face at the compliment.

"And, yeah! I've come up with something fun! Ethan, would you like to take on the Pokémon Gym challenges?" Professor Elm is inspired.

"I've thinking about it. It must be a thrill taking on the strong bosses of the Gyms."

"And if you're able to defeat eight Gym Leaders, you earn the eligibility to enter the Pokémon League. There, you'll consecutively battle the Elite Four and the Champion. You'll become the Champion if and only if you're able to defeat all of them without quitting in the middle."

"Becoming a Champion… It's not that easy, I think."

"No. But you can certainly give your first attempt at the Gym in Violet City. Challenging the Gyms scattered around will be a long journey, Ethan. Before you leave, make sure you talk to your mom. She must be in deep care about your safety. Even on your trip, you'd better contact her on a regular basis." says Professor Elm, before he gives Ethan 5 Potions and 5 Pokémon Balls, "Heal your Pokémon if they're injured and the Pokémon Center is too far, and use these Poké Balls to catch wild Pokémon! You must try different kinds of Poké Balls for a better catching rate!"

"Thanks. No problem. I'll go now. See ya, Professor Elm!"

Leaving the lab, briefly dropping by his home to bid the second farewell with his loving mother, Ethan officially initializes his Pokémon journey across Johto.
            --End of Epsiode 2--
            Save File:
            Spoiler:
            Time: Day 1
            Pokédex: Seen 6, Owned 1

Old August 3rd, 2018 (9:00 PM). Edited 2 Weeks Ago by Road_to_Cerulean.
            A Ordinary Kanto Lover

Episode 3: Trial of the Sprout (揺れ倒れずの塔!長老の試練!)
              Spoiler:
              [5:49 PM, November 21, Cherrygrove City]
              Helping out with the investigation of the theft, Ethan fully devotes himself to Cyndaquil's training for the rest of the daytime. As the sun gradually sinks in the west, Ethan feels exhausted. He entrusts the nurse at the Pokémon Center with his fire mouse, before he spends the night in the resting area.

[9:57 AM, November 22, Route 31]
              The following day, Ethan gets up from his rest and is traversing Route 30. When he passes the area where the two Youngsters were battling, there is nobody here.

At the foot of a hill, Route 30 turns westwards and becomes Route 31. There is an entrance to the cave in the hill next to some trees. The sign beside the entrance reads:
              Spoiler:
              DARK CAVE
              WARNING: DARKNESS ALERT! FLASHLIGHT OR FLASH SUGGESTED!

Ethan approaches the entrance and takes a look inside. As the sign indicates, the cave is pitch-dark. Nothing can be seen. Only the noises of Geodude rolling and Zubat's supersonic waves can be heard.

On Route 31, Ethan briefly battles a Bug Catcher. He handily defeats all of his opponents using Cyndaquil's newly learned Ember. When the Exp. Points fill the blank of level 12, another new move is added to Cyndaquil's move slot: Quick Attack.

Crossing through a gate, and Ethan reaches the location home to the very first Gym of Johto: Violet City.

[10:40 AM, November 22, Violet City]
              As its name describes, Violet City is full of violet classic buildings. The city itself is developed in the center of a forest, and apart from the surrounding vegetation, trees are manually planted on both sides of the streets. Moreover, most vehicles here burn electricity instead of fuel, further improving the air quality.

It does not take Ethan too long to locate the Violet Gym, but when he is to enter, he finds that the door to the Gym is locked. A notice on the wall informs the challengers that the Leader is currently absent. It also suggests Trainers to visit Sprout Tower before taking on the Gym. At the end, there is a hand-written signature of the Gym Leader, Falkner.

The Sprout Tower is to the northeast of Violet Gym. It is separated from the main area of Violet City by a pond. There is an isle in the center of the pond, on either side of which there is a stone bridge connected to Sprout Tower and Violet City, respectively. Ethan observes the tower carefully. It has only 3 floors, approximately 100 feet high, making it the smallest-scaled tower ever built in Johto.

And as Ethan is about to enter the tower, he slid past someone who rushes hastily towards Violet City. It appears to be a boy with red hair and in black shirt. The boy does not seem to sense the coming of Ethan.

Silver? Why did he also visit Sprout Tower? Shouldn't he find somewhere to hide himself from the police?

[11:28 AM, November 22, Sprout Tower]
              At the reception floor of Sprout Tower, the pillar at the center of the tower intrigues Ethan. The pillar constantly shakes from side to side, as if it would fall down at any time. However, the swaying pillar is, in fact, a perfect protection for sudden earthquakes. Locating on the seismic zone, Violet City has experienced numerous earthquakes since the first dwellers thousands of years ago. It cost the ancient craftsmen centuries of time and countless collapses of buildings until they apply the technique, jukozo, to Sprout Tower. It celebrated its 1,411th birthday this year, and has successfully withstood over tens of major earthquakes, the strongest of which is magnitude 7.7, without even leaning for a single degree of angle. Many people say that the pillar is the avatar of a giant Bellsprout, who constantly guards the tower from any hazards.

For most visitors, the 1st floor is the only place they are permitted to remain in the pagoda, as a monk is guarding the stairs to the 2nd floor. He requires all people who wants to ascend to show him their Trainer's Cards, since, as soon as they pass the stairs, they shall face challenging monks, and ultimately, their elder.

Consider that he will be challenging the Gym in days, Ethan qualifies himself with the admission at the monk, and proceeds to the upper storey.

The 2nd floor is a small maze, with the entire area divided into fragments by the fences and gates. What is more, there are no signs that explicitly lead the way to the next floor, making the labyrinth look like a miniature Victory Road. It is said that this maze is the first trial of the elder monk for all Trainers who wish to fight him.

Minutes later, Ethan is at the stairs to 3F. But a monk appears from nowhere and asks Ethan to battle him. The monk uses a Bellsprout. Out of doubt, Ethan sends out Cyndaquil, who uses Ember to sear Bellsprout into fainting. The monk then politely admits Ethan past him.

On the topmost floor of the pagoda, Ethan is facing three monks sitting in front of himself cross-legged. The monk in the middle is with wrinkles, thick eyebrows and a long moustache, apparently to be their leader.

"So good of another Trainer here! What's your name, please?" asks the elder.

"I'm Ethan."

"The name's Li. You must have passed Edmond's trial. Sprout Tower is a place of training. People and Pokémon test their bonds to build a bright future together. If you're able to defeat both of my disciples, I'll be your final test."

"No problem. Just bring it on." Ethan answers confidently.

The disciples battles Ethan in turn. Same as Edmond, all of their Pokémon are Bellsprout, someone weak to fire. Turns of Embers, and Cyndaquil makes a clean sweep.

"Ohhh, youngster, you're something!" says the elder as he rises up, "You don't look tired a little bit. As promised, I'm the final test. Allow me to check the ties between you and your Pokémon!"

The elder takes Pokémon Ball from his cassock and releases a Bellsprout.

Having fought numbers of Bellsprout, Ethan immediately orders Cyndaquil to use Ember.

"Bellsprout. Razor Leaf!" orders Li.

Bellsprout swings its arms and releases razor-sharp leaves from them. The leaves act as a shield for Bellsprout. All sparks burn down the leaves without landing a single hit on Bellsprout.

"What a defensive attack!" says Ethan, "I've learned it! Cyndaquil, one more time, Ember!"

"Razor Leaf!" commands Li.

But Ethan is not waiting for the turn to end this time.

"Cyndaquil, Quick Attack!" orders Ethan the moment Ember collides with Razor Leaf.

Cyndaquil intensifies the flame on his back and he charges at Bellsprout at rapid speed, slamming his back into Bellsprout's roots. Unable to bear the high temperature of Cyndaquil's flames, Bellsprout falls over, unable to battle.

"You're an A-grade learner, young man!" The elder is satisfied as he recalls Bellsprout, "And you have one more opponent left. Go, Hoothoot!"

An owl-like chubby Pokémon lands in front of Ethan and Cyndaquil. It appears to wear a pair of "glasses", with clock hand-like and gear-like extensions. Its wings are stubby. It usually stands on one foot with the other concealed, giving the false impression that Hoothoot grows only one foot.

Ethan scans Hoothoot in his Pokédex. As a Normal- and Flying-type Pokémon, all of Cyndaquil's moves deal only normal damage to it.

"Cyndaquil, use Smokescreen!"

Cyndaquil opens his mouth and spits a puff of black smoke onto Hoothoot.

"Hoothoot, Tackle!"

Hoothoot seems to be unaffected by the Smokescreen. It breaks through the smog and bumps its stomach into Cyndaquil.

"Ah. This Hoothoot must possess the Ability Keen Eye. Accuracy adjusting moves are useless against it." Ethan comes up with the correct deduction, before he switches into Quick Attack.

Cyndaquil darts at Hoothoot and chars his foe with the flames on his back. The pain caused by the scorching-hot fire forces Hoothoot to slow down its motion.

"Hoothoot. Peck!"

"Cyndaquil, Quick Attack!"

Hoothoot tries to jab Cyndaquil with its beak, but it hits Cyndaquil's flames instead. Cyndaquil then slams himself into Hoothoot, defeating it.

"Hmm, excellent, young man." says Li, "The way you battle is elegant. You know how to adopt your advantages and avoid the shortcomings. You work out the greatest weakness of your opponents and snipe at them with a fatal blow. It's well worth battling with you even if I lost."

Admitting defeat frankly, the elder gives Ethan a boxed Technical Machine, numbered 70.

"This TM contains Flash. It illuminates even the darkest places as if it were day. It's notably compatible with the mascot of the Sprout Tower, Bellsprout." says Li, "I have a feeling that your power can match our local Gym Leader, Falkner. As long as you keep learning and growing with your Pokémon, you'll definetely become more and more powerful."

"Elder-san. Did a red-haired boy came by to you before me?" asks Ethan.

"Yeah. He beat all of us, too, and I also gave him Flash." says Li, "But I failed to experience the wisdom and sincerity from him. It seemed that that young man totally treated Pokémon as tools of war. He ordered his Pokémon out of his own wish, not caring about Pokémon's feelings a bit. If his Pokémon showed unwillingness to obey, he would lose his temper. I don't want you to be someone like him, or the future of youngsters would be gloomy……"

"Perhaps he was trying to demonstrate his strength?"

"It's not strength, but brashness. Sheer force only have temporarily effects. The bona fide strength is when the hearts of a Trainer and his Pokémon combine into one, when they feel what the others feel and cooperate without arguments."

"……" Ethan thinks carefully about Li's speech before he bows to the monks and leaves the tower.
              --End of Epsiode 3--
              Save File:
              Spoiler:
              Time: Day 2
              Pokédex: Seen 9, Owned 1

Old 1 Week Ago (6:08 PM). Edited 1 Week Ago by Road_to_Cerulean.
              A Ordinary Kanto Lover

Episode 4: Wings on the Roof (空中楼閣で戦闘を飛ばそう!)
                Spoiler:
                [9:29 AM, November 25, Violet Gym]
                Passing the trial of the elder in Sprout Tower, Ethan is on his way to the first Johtonese Gym, Violet Gym. He is clear that the level of Gym Leaders is far above that of ordinary Trainers. Even the strength of Li's Bellsprout might be nothing against a Leader's first Pokémon. Hence, he prepares for the battle by searching for Wild Pokémon and Trainers around Violet City for three days.

And in the morning three days later, Ethan arrives at Violet Gym to find that the notice has been removed. The Gym is now fully open.

Inside the Gym, Ethan does not catch sight of a single person, but he discovers some mysterious machinery on the floor. There is a large button-like plank here, and through the thin gap around it some gears are visible.

Ethan raises his head. Whoa! The Gym is rather high! It is tens of feet from his head to the ceiling. There is a glass platform high in the air, and someone appears to be standing up there. However, there does not seem to be stairs or elevators in the Gym that lead to the platform.

Is this machinery the way up? Ethen steps on the plank with questions.

Sensing the weight of a human, the machine activates, lifting the plank higher and higher slowly, until it reaches the platform above the ground floor.

On the platform stands a single person. He is feet away from Ethan, on the opposite side of the platform used as the battlefield. The man is in blue oriental clothes and his hair covers his right eye.

"There you are, challenger. I'm Falkner, the Leader of Violet Gym. " says the man, "I love Flying-type Pokémon, and I enjoy battling on high altitude. That's the style of a flying man."

"Excuse me, but what if a challenger is acrophobic?" asks Ethan.

"Then just he try to find an alternative Gym! We Gym Leaders are there, and it's all up to challengers to decide whether they come to us or not!" says Falkner seriously.

"… " Ethan is speechless.

"And the major reason I train Flying-type Pokémon, is to change the bias of people's attitude towards them!" says Falkner, "Many people say that Flying-type Pokémon are rubbish - a single zap or freeze will clip them. I won't allow such offense to the Flying-type! I, Falkner, will show you how magnificent the power of birds!"

"And I, Ethan, will show you the real power of my team! Fight, Cyndaquil!"

"You have a good name, Ethan." Falkner also tosses a Poké Ball, "Now go, Hoothoot!"

No need for a long prelude, and the battle begins.

"Cyndaquil, Quick Attack!" commands Ethan.

With the experience of fighting Li at Sprout Tower, Cyndaquil gives his foe a surprise attack.

"Hoothoot, Confusion!" commands Falkner.

After getting bumped by Cyndaquil, Hoothoot flaps its chubby wings and releases psychic waves from its eyes. The wave wraps Cyndaquil, lifts him into midair, and throws him into the wall behind Ethan. Though the Confusion itself inflicts little damage to the fire mouse, the impact of the concrete wall makes Cyndaquil really uncomfortable.

"Are you OK, Cyndaquil?"

Cyndaquil responds by re-igniting his back flame, saying that he is still healthy.

"Be careful of Hoothoot's Confusion!" says Ethan, "Let's do it again, Quick Attack!"

There is no doubt that Cyndaquil ensures a hit, but there is when Hoothoot counters him.

"Hoothoot, Confusion!"

Hoothoot repeats its move and attempts to smash Cyndaquil once more…

"Cyndaquil, use your flame as a buffer!"

Cyndaquil increases the power of his back flame. When he is getting close to the wall, the force of the flame greatly alleviates the impact. However, Hoothoot begins to breathe more heavily due to its consecutive use of psychic moves.

"One more time, Quick Attack!"

Hoothoot receives a fatal hit from Cyndaquil. After it falls, it sticks its hidden foot out. After all, its medium defensive ability is not enough to compensate for its stiff speed.

"The wind is finally with us." says Falkner, "Birds build up their wings by flying. A bird will never reach the sky huddling up in its nest. Trials mean errors, but no errors mean no success!"

Falkner recalls Hoothoot, and releases a large bird called Pidgeotto. As the evolved form of Pidgey, Pidgeotto grows more mature and sturdy. It grows a crest of red feathers on its forehead, and its tail plumage is divided into red and yellow. Its beak bends a little, implying that it is carnivorous.

"A Pidgeotto either has Keen Eye or Tangled Feet. The foe is at full health while Cyndaquil has only half left. It's not worthwhile spending a turn to find out its true Ability with Smokescreen." thinks Ethan, "I might as well make a tentative Quick Attack…"

And Ethan does order a Quick Attack in the end.

"Pidgeotto, Quick Attack, too!" commands Falkner.

Cyndaquil and Pidgeotto clash in midair. Cyndaquil burns Pidgeotto's stomach feathers with his back flame, while Pidgeotto scratches Cyndaquil with its pointed talons. As Ethan checks up his Pokédex, he is warned that Cyndaquil's HP is reaching the critical point. Any subsequent attacks from the opponent is likely to bring a game over.

"Hold on, Cyndaquil! Pidgeotto looks tough, but every opponent has its weakness!" Ethan encourages his little fellow, "If we find out an opponent's weakness, we can knock it down in a single blow!"

Although getting tired out, Cyndaquil pumps him up upon hearing his Trainer's encouragement.

"Ethan, what's your next move?" asks Falkner.

"Take it! Cyndaquil, Quick Attack!"

Quick Attack once more? What is this backward-cap guy thinking about?

But Falkner proves himself worthy of the position as a Gym Leader. He has realized that Ethan is trying to make a different surprise assault despite seemingly executing the same move, since the boy's reaction towards Hoothoot's second Confusion. Therefore, instead of asking Pidgeotto to counter with Quick Attack, he has the avian use Twister.

As Cyndaquil swiftly approaches, Pidgeotto flaps its wings, creating a miniature tornado in front of itself. Cyndaquil fails to avoid the tornado due to his momentum and gets sucked in. Giddiness strikes his head as he spins in the cyclone.

Seconds later, Cyndaquil is ejected from the tornado. He continues to spin on where he stands, with a circle of Butterfree going round his head.

"Calm! Keep calm, Cyndaquil! Put everything aside and think you'll defeat Pidgeotto!"

Hearing Ethan's voice, Cynadquil makes huge efforts to slow down his spinning. He manages to reach a full stop by lying on his stomach, after which he re-ignites his flame again to show that he has not lost yet.

"Pidgeotto, Roost!" commands Falkner during Cyndaquil's recovery.

Pidgeotto covers itself with a dim white aura, steadily restoring its lost health and healing damanges.

"Oh, no! Cyndaquil will be at a big disadvantage if Pidgeotto fully recovers itself! What should I do?" Ethan is worried.

Fortunately, Cyndaquil returns to his normal state very quickly. Grabbing the chance, Ethan launches another Quick Attack.

And unfortunately for Pidgeotto, its dodging attempt is unsuccessful when the timer of Roost is yet to expire. And this time, Cyndaquil does not aim directly at his foe, but he on purpose dashes against the wall behind Pidgeotto. Taking advantage of reflection, he ends up landing on the bird's back.

"Danger! Pidgeotto, shake Cyndaquil off you!" Falkner looks a little flurried.

"And this is the weakness of Pidgeotto, of being large!" says Ethan, "And Cyndaquil, hold Pidgeotto tight and use Ember! Don't care about your surroundings! Focus on your foe!"

In order to get rid of Cyndaquil, Pidgeotto expands its wings and glides about above the battlefield, hoping to make Cynadquil fall with centrifugal force and inertia. Nevertheless, the more the bird flies, the tighter the fire mouse holds on. He then opens his mouth and fires a barrage of fire sparks at his opponent's head.

"Keep it up, Cyndaquil!" Ethan smelling the coming of victory, "Ember!"

When the enemy is exposed and the ally is hidden, the situation has evolved to a one-sided stage. Before Cyndaquil is exhausted from Embers, Pigeotto runs out of energy, falls to the platform, and faints.

"We've won, Cyndaquil! You can relax now!" cries Ethan.

Learning that he has won, Cyndaquil relaxes his limbs and is about to collapse, if he has not preserved his last bit of power at his best.

"How did we lose? For pity's sake, both of my cherished birds were shot down!" says a shocked Falkner. He cannot believe that his Pidgeotto should lose to an unevolved fire mouse, let alone one with only half of his health remaining.

"…But a defeat is a defeat. Better looking forward to the future than immersing oneself in the sorrow yesterday." says Falkner afterwards, "Ethan, you beat me fair, so take this official Pokémon League Badge, Zephyr Badge. You've gotten one step closer to the admission to the Pokémon League with it."

The Badge from Falkner is a hexagonal item carved into a pair of wings. It is placed at the first slot of Ethan's Badge Case.

"We've conquered the first fortress, but there're 7 remaining. We should go on." thinks Ethan.

"And you can have this technical machine." Falkner gives Ethan a boxed optical-disc like machine numbered 19, "It contains Roost. Its user restores half of its maximum HP after a single use. It has a drawback, though, when its user gets attacked in the middle of the process. I learned it just after your Cyndaquil beat my Pidgeotto… TMs were disposable, but they're not now, so teaching a move is a costless decision."

"Beat a Gym, and win a teachable move! That sounds great!" thinks Ethan.

"For the last thing. Your next Gym battle can be either at Azalea Town, Goldenrod City or Ecruteak City." says Falkner, "But I discourage you from the latter two 'cause the only way to them, Route 36, has been blocked by a weird tree. We've tried to clear it, but never succeeded. Also, Azalea Gym specializes in Bug-type. Your Cyndaquil would be at an advantage. Just go along Route 32 on the south and pass through Union Cave and that's your destination."

"Thanks, Mr. Falkner. I'll continue to train myself into a high-quality Trainer!"

"And I'll train myself into the greatest Bird Keeper! No matter how many times I fall, I'll get up to my feet and aims at the broad, beautiful blue sky!"

Leaving Falkner, Ethan steps on the plank to descend to the ground to exit the Gym.
                --End of Epsiode 4--
                Save File:
                Spoiler:
                Time: Day 5
                Pokédex: Seen 10, Owned 1
                Badges: 1

Old 1 Week Ago (10:30 PM).
                A Ordinary Kanto Lover

Episode 5: Puzzle Solving plus Fishing (アルフの遺跡!いたずらな電気ヒツジ!)
                  Spoiler:
                  [10:19 AM, November 25, Route 32]
                  At Violet Gym, Ethan used his Cyndaquil to gain a nice win against Falkner's Pidgeotto despite the former was at a disadvantage, earning him his first Gym Badge. The first victory against a Gym Leader also significantly boosted Cyndaquil's vigor and confidence.

Restoring his party at the Pokémon Center, Ethan follows Falkner's advice, heading for Azalea Town via Route 32.

The entrance to the route is behind a small patch of grass. When Ethan is splitting the grass, he hears someone calling his name behind. It turns out to be one of Professor Elm's aides as Ethan recognizes his face. The aide is carrying the Egg Ethan received from Mr. Pokémon in his arms.

"Hello. What's up?"

"Ethan! After you left, Professor Elm received a phone call." says the aide, "I've no idea what the professor was talking about. But suddenly he cried out, 'I can't come up with someone else more suitable than Ethan!' He then gave me the Egg and asked me to deliver it to you."

"Why me?"

"According to Professor Elm, an Egg will hatch more quickly when it's kept together with other Pokémon in a Trainer's party. We estimate that this Egg will hatch within at least half a month if it's kept in our lab. Professor Elm believes in your reliability, so he'd like you to collect some results for him, I think. Once the Egg hatches, please contact Professor Elm asap!"

"Sure. I'll take good care of it." Ethan accepts the Egg.

"Now I've gotta be back. Goodbye, Ethan!"

[10:21 AM, November 25, Route 32]
                  Route 32 divides half a mile away from Violet City. While the main path continues southwards, the branch path leads to a gate on the east. The sign on the branching point reads:
                  Spoiler:
                  Route 32
                  South: Union Cave (10.5 mi), Azalea Town (12 mi);
                  East: Ruins of Alph (2,000 ft)

"It's still miles away to Azalea Town, and it's a mountainous area ahead. In the worst case, I wouldn't reach Azalea when it turns dark." thinks Ethan, "So I'd better take a stroll around Ruins of Alph!"

[10:27 AM, November 25, Ruins of Alph]
                  Through the gate, Ethan enters a wide yard. There are a number of chambers built with rocks and stones. Though it is hardly possible to determine the actual date the chambers were constructed, the moss on the walls and the roofs clearly state that the chambers must be finished long, long ago. Due to weathering, some of the chambers have collapsed, separating the whole ruins area into pieces and leaving a few areas directly inaccessible. In the yard, several scientists are examining the conditions of the ruins with their devices and notebooks.

Ethan finds one of the largest chambers and enters it via the stone stairs. There is a zigzag passageway on the basement floor. In the middle of the passageway, there is an aligned line of sculptures carved into some unknown species of living beings. The sculptures are also weathered so that some of them are barely recognizable.

And on the wall at the end of the passageway, Ethan spots many odd symbols. Each of the symbol has an eye at its main part that looks like staring at the boy.

With further observation, Ethan finds that all of the "eyes" grow appendages with various shapes. The appendages make the symbols resemble capital Latin letters, from A to Z. However, two types of the symbols are special, as their eyes are half closed, and their appendages resemble question marks and exclamation marks.

"Hmm… So the name of 'Alph' must came from these symbols that look like alphabets…"

Ethan tries deciphering the "sentences" made up of those symbols, but he cannot make out a single one that has an understandable meaning.

As Ethan exits the chamber, he meets one of the scientists.

"Kid, have you found anything valuable inside?"

"Nothing much. But I do care about a wall of symbols. They look like alphabets and eyes…"

"Aha! I guessed right! There must be Unown in these ruins!" The scientist looks excited.

"Unknown?"

"U-N-O-W-N, Unown. No Ks." explains the scientist, "Unown is a Pokémon that lives in its own dimension invisible to humans. They appear to be living symbols with eyes, and the symbols resemble the letters. Unown will release a special type of electromagnetic waves where they live, and I just detected some waves days before. I always think that Unown are hidden somewhere!"

"But why are you so sure? Simply because I found some Unown-like symbols?"

"Because similar symbols have also been discovered at many places." explains the scientist, "It has been reported that Unown are found in Tanoby Ruins at Sevii Islands and Solaceon Ruins in Sinnoh, where symbols of Unown are also found. Similarly, there must be Unown here in Ruins of Alph!"

"Hmm. But we must find some methods to lure them out." says Ethan, "And you, sir, have you found anything else suspicious?"

"Mm… I think there is, though I didn't care much about it." says the scientist, "I found something like a puzzle in a chamber in the south. The puzzle is a square with moveable blocks. The odd thing is that the blocks are not removable from the plate. I made some random moves and nothing happened."

"Where's that puzzle chamber? I'll take a look!"

"There, beside the pond, with some rocks piled near it." The scientists points to the correct direction, which Ethan follows.

Inside the puzzle chamber, Ethan finds a stone plate in the center. The plate is fixed on a rock about one meter tall. There is a 4×4 square shallow indent on the plate, inside which there are 15 pieces of square blocks, each of which depicting a part of some kind of Pokémon.

"Great! I've solved countless such puzzles before! Piece of cake!"

Although the blocks have been randomly moved by the scientist, Ethan is not discouraged. He carefully observes the depiction on every block to decide their correct position. If two of the blocks look too similar, he will differentiate them by the marks of erosion. If two of the blocks have their erosion marks matched at one side, then they must be adjacent.

It costs five minutes for Ethan to complete the puzzle. The completed puzzle displays the shape of a giant avian. The bird have wide rings and crown-like feathers on its head, and its tail feathers resemble a chrysanthemum flower.

What kind of Pokémon it is? Ethan takes out his Pokédex and scans it.

You silly! It's merely a puzzle shape, not a real Pokémon! How can a Pokédex register an entry by scanning something else than a real Pokémon? Ethan puts away his encyclopedia in disappointment.

Well, seems Ethan is not absolutely unlucky. Shortly after the puzzle is done, Ethan hears some noise from somewhere, and dies down seconds later. Did he activate some triggers?

Leaving the puzzle chamber, Ethan finds the agitated scientist hopping about with his electromagnetic wave-detecting device. He tells Ethan that he has detected stronger and stronger waves emitted from near, and he firmly believes in the presence of Unown.

Ethan and the scientist return to the largest chamber Ethan have already explored. At the entrance, they sense an intense aura. And when they go in, their eyes expand as above them, a huge horde of Unown is floating around in midair! The scientist nearly goes crazy as he extends his arms repeating the word "Unown".

"You've done a great job for us, kid!" The scientist is grateful, "So take this! You deserve it!"

The scientist gives Ethan a Scope Lens. He explains that this item is a held item that improves the rate of blowing critical hits on the foes. The usage of Scope Lens perfectly matches Ethan's style as he happily accepts it.

[9:12 AM, November 26, Route 32]
                  Leaving Ruins of Alphs, the rest of Ethan's daytime was spent to cover the rest of Route 32. When the sun sets in the west, Ethan arrives at a Pokémon Center close to the entrance to Union Cave. He has been exhausted from climbing the mountain and traversing the trees and grasses, so he spends the night in the building for restoration.

The next day, Ethan wakes up from his sleep. Finishing his breakfast, Ethan finds a group of Fishermen heading northwards with their rods and nets.

"There's a fishing spot not far from here. I've seen a lot of Fishermen when I passed here yesterday. This Pokémon Center offers rent of rods and bait. OK, I'll go fishing, too!" thinks Ethan.

Borrowing a rod and some bait, Ethan follows the Fishermen group to the spot. He selects a vacant position, fixes the bait on the hook, and casts the line into the water. Holding the rod, Ethan sits down on the bank to wait for a bite.

A quarter of an hour passes, and Ethan feels a pull on his rod. There's a bite!

Ethan swiftly withdraws the line, but he fails. It seems that he pulled the rod too hard so that the bait slipped out of the water of his prey and was dropped. Ethan has to fix some bait again and launch a second attempt…

Another ten minutes passes, and a stronger pull comes to Ethan. This time, Ethan keeps steady and gently withdraws the line, stepping backwards. He successfully hooked a Pokémon, a Magikarp.

A Magikarp is weak and only learns Splash, a useless move, but it can evolve into a powerful Gyarados. Though the training might be tiring, Ethan decides to capture it anyway.

However, before the Magikarp can be pulled to the bank, Ethan feels something furry rubbing against his waist from behind. Afterwards, a feel of numb assaults his body and limbs, causing him to loosen his line. The Magikarp then pulls the line forcefully and tries to escape.

I can't let it go away! Ethan recovers and pulls the line afresh. He hurries up a little, expecting to win against the Magikarp in the tug-of-war game…

Darn! When the Magikarp just touches the bank, the numbing feel attacks Ethan once more! The decrease of Ethan's force drags him whole towards the sea, causing him to narrowly escape dampening his clothes.

Who the heck is teasing me? An annoyed Ethan turns around only to catch sight of nothing.

Was it an illusion from my anxiety of catching a fish? Ethan becomes more careful as he stay still, keeping the balance between himself and the carp Pokémon, until the prey gets tired in his expectation when he can freely pull the line.

Bzzt! The paralyzed feel simply will not let go of Ethan. And to make matters worse, the Magikarp seems to realize that a long fight is not good for it, and it gives up the bait and dives away.

Losing the fish, Ethan is humiliated and ruffled. He is quite sure that someone else is playing a nasty trick on him, deliberately preventing him from catching fish. But every time he suddenly turns around, he only sees the dull, stationary trees and grasses.

That's funny! If the culprit is a human, how could he hide himself so perfectly without a trace?

Wait! The culprit may not be limited to humans! It could also be a Pokémon!

Sounds reasonable, isn't it? The patches of grass behind Ethan rises up to his knees. Although it is not easy to conceal a human, it is more than sufficient to hide a short Pokémon.

"Hmm? That patch is rustling! The culprit must be inside! " Ethan crossly takes out Cyndaquil's Poké Ball, "Humph, wanna play a guerrilla warfare with me? Don't think you'll get away!"

Ethan releases Cyndaquil, and commands him to use Quick Attack.

Cyndaquil dashes towards the rustling patch as he ignites his back flame. Then, Ethan hears a cry from the patch, and a Pokémon jumps out of it out of pain by Cyndaquil's flame. It is a Mareep!

The Mareep has Static as its Ability. Ethan realizes the truth that this naughty lamb nuzzled against his waist when he was pulling the line, foiling his plan three times. Since you meddle with my fishing, then you be the alternative, you whelp!

"Cyndaquil, use Ember! Be careful of the grass!"

Cyndaquil releases fire sparks from his mouth, which set the Mareep's fur on fire. The Mareep begins to run about in horror, but the more it runs, the big the fire grows, sapping its health.

"Cyndaquil, Quick Attack!"

Cynadquil delivers the last strike on the Mareep. After the sheep is defeated, the fire on its fur goes out. Ethan then throws a Poké Ball at the Mareep, capturing it in one attempt.

"Now that you're part of my team, no more pranks anymore, Mareep!" Ethan picks up the ball and says.

Later, Ethan rests both of his Pokémon at the Pokémon Center. He activates the balls to let his fellows get to know about each other. Cyndaquil is happy to have a junior teammate as he dances and waves his arms, squeaking lively. Mareep, in return, drops his head and baas once out of apology.

Gathering a new team member, Ethan returns the fishing tools and continues his journey.

[10:08 AM, November 26, Union Cave]
                  Union Cave is a simple yet complicated cavern. It is almost a straight line from the entrance at Route 32 to the exit on Route 33, but it is a giant maze at the basement floors. There is a tremendous underground lake down the cave, dividing the land into bits. There is a warning sign at every entrance to the underground, requiring the explorers to carry Surfing Pokémon.

There is an indescribable relationship between Union Cave and Ruins of Alph. Years ago, a secret passage to the ruins was discovered here. The passage leads to an inner area of the ruins which is otherwise not accessible. It remains unknown whether the passage was naturally formed or manually excavated. A few bold explorers visited the hidden area for treasure hunting, but all of them returned empty-handed. Nothing can be found inside the secret area, not even Unown.

And at the ground floor of Union Cave, multiple Trainers are training here. There are Hikers with heavy backpacks and walking sticks, and PokéManiacs in strange outfits looking for beast-like Pokémon. One or two chubby men are showing off their skills of breathing fire. Ethan shows a strong dislike of them as they simply release carbon monoxide into the badly ventilated air.

[10:27 AM, November 26, Route 33]
                  Compared to routes passing through caves in Kanto including Routes 4 and 10, Routes 32 and 33 are independently numbered. Still, Route 33 is so short that it is hard to believe that it should be an intercity path. Its length does not even reach one third of the diameter of New Bark Town. The buildings of Azalea Town are clearly visible even if one is standing just outside of the cave exit. Moreover, the climate on Route 33 remains humid all year round, and rains are very frequent. Some trees stand south of the route, growing ripe and fresh berries. A small yet luxuriant grass area is home to diverse species of tiny Pokémon.

[10:37 AM, November 26, Azalea Town]
                  Jumping off a ledge, Ethan has a brief match with a Hiker, and reaches Azalea Town on the west.

Azalea Town is a peninsular town very close to the sea. However, it is separated from the water by a large scale of woods. Though a small town, Azalea Town is fully equipped with a Pokémon Center, a Poké Mart, and a local Gym.

Ethan is first destination at the town is a wooden house in the northwest. It is the home of Kurt, a carpenter of high fame among the local citizens. He is brilliantly skilled in repairing Poké Balls. He can restore a Poké Ball to its healthy state however terribly it is damaged, unless it has been crushed into powder. Most importantly, his service is completely free of charge! The only shortcoming is that he has to spend a whole day to repair a single ball.

Apart from repairing, Kurt also produces Poké Balls out of a special kind of fruit, Apricorns. Poké Balls made out of Apricorns have unique power-up effects when capturing. Long before the industrial era, this type of technology had been widely applied. At the modern times when most of the Poké Ball productions are up to machines, there are still a lot of craftsmen like Kurt who stick to this old technique which is almost doomed to die.
                  --End of Epsiode 5--
                  Save File:
                  Spoiler:
                  Time: Day 6
                  Pokédex: Seen 14, Owned 2

Old 2 Days Ago (7:23 PM).
                  A Ordinary Kanto Lover

Episode 6: Secret Mission: Slowpoke Well (ヤドンの井戸!ロケット団捲土重来!)
                    Spoiler:
                    [10:50 AM, November 26, Azalea Town]
                    "Excuse me. Is Mr. Kurt in?" Ethan knocks on the door.

A 6-year-old little girl opens the door for Ethan, "Are you looking for grandpa? He's busy now."

"Sorry for disturbing." Ethan enters the house.

The house is not large as it appears. There is a desk in the corner of the house. Tools and spare pieces of Poké Balls are placed on the desk. Additionally, there is a heavy toolbox near the table for storing tools. An old man is sitting beside the desk fixing a damaged Poké Ball. He is the old Kurt.

"A visitor, huh? Just a minute until I finish this ball." Kurt says, not raising his head.

"Can I talk to your granddaughter, Mr. Kurt?" asks Ethan.

"Sure. Maizie loves talking with others. She would rather die than having nobody to talk with." agrees Kurt.

"Big brother, you're a Trainer, aren't you? What's your name?" asks Maizie.

"I'm Ethan. I'm from New Bark Town."

"New Bark Town! I always desire a visit there, but I'm too young to own Pokémon…"

"You can own your Pokémon when you reach 10. Just be patient."

"Big brother, are you here for Poké Ball repairs at grandpa?"

"Sorry, Maizie, but I'm not here to repair Poké Balls. I came here because I've heard your grandpa's fame and wanted to meet him when I arrived at Azalea Town." answers Ethan honestly.

"When it comes to our Azalea Town, I have to mention Slowpoke!" says Maizie, "There's a cave in the northeast of our town called Slowpoke Well. The well is home to Slowpoke. Slowpoke are not afraid of human at all. They often leave the well and play with citizens. Do you know, big brother? Slowpoke are amazing! They simply let out a yawn and summon a rain! Whenever we want a rain, we seek help from Slowpoke! That's why our town is not dry in all seasons!"

"Maizie. I heard that your grandpa repair Poké Balls for free. Is that it?"

"Yes. He says he repairs balls to service all of us. He doesn't care about those few bucks!"

"Then how do you support your livings? You have to have a source of income, don't you?"

"My dad works for Silph Co.! And grandpa has a piece of arable land outside the woods! We live a good life without letting Trainers pay us!" says Maizie proudly.

"Your father's a Silph Co. worker? He must be of high quality, then." says Ethan, "It's said the requirements to enter Silph Co. are very strict. One would be rejected almost for sure if he hasn't earned a Ph. D degree…"

While the boy and the girl are engaged in their conversation, they hear something strange outside. There seem to be Pokémon fighting and citizen crying and running. Maybe the town is in a riot?

"Who are you? Don't push others so hard, you impudent guys!" blames a middle-aged man.

"Get lost, you petty civilians! Don't interfere with us Team Rocket!" another man says rudely.

"Team Rocket! Oh, no, looks like we're in trouble! Run!"

Another series of running sounds are heard, and the streets gradually turn quiet.

"Hehehe! You made a wise decision! That's good!" sneers the second man.

……

Inside the house, Ethan asks Maizie, "Who are Team Rocket? Why are people so frightened?"

Maizie is about to answer when her grandfather interrupts, as he has finished his repairing, "Team Rocket is a criminal organization once active in Kanto. They do nothing good but poaching and selling Pokémon for illegal profits! Their boss had announced their disbandment years ago, but I never think they would make a comeback in our town!"

"I wonder who could be so powerful to force Team Rocket to disband." says Ethan.

"I don't remember their names, but I remember it was two youngsters the same age as you." says Kurt, "Team Rocket's boss split his gang after he was beaten by them in Viridian Gym."

"And big bro, my dad's company was also harassed by Team Rocket! But they were driven out by those very two youngsters and saved the day! My dad told me!" Maizie interrupts.

"Cool. Maybe I should pay a visit to them someday." Ethan is envious.

"Enough of off-topic issues." says Kurt, "In my opinion, Team Rocket came to Azalea Town probably for Slowpoke's tails. It's said Slowpoke's tails are very tasty and nutritious. In order to protect the Pokémon, criminal laws have been carried out to prohibit tail cutting. Nevertheless, a few people still risk themselves, driven by the alluring profits. Our town is not so rich to become the target of criminals, but the Slowpoke in their well might be."

"So Team Rocket must be targeting Slowpoke Well! Mr. Kurt, you stay here to protect Maizie! She would be in danger if she is left alone and Team Rocket come close!" says Ethan.

"Alright. There's something wrong with my back these days, anyway." agrees Kurt.

Ethan quietly slips out of the door. He ensures that Kurt and Maizie lock the door for safety, before he plans for his next action.

Looking into the streets, there is a large flock of men in black, with an R painted on their hats and uniforms. R is acronym for Rocket, so Team Rocket must be them.

To avoid alerting the enemies, Ethan sneaks off into the woods behind Kurt's house and hurries towards Slowpoke Well in the grass.

[11:03 AM, November 26, Slowpoke Well]
                    Slowpoke Well is a shallow underground cave. The connection to the ground surface was constructed into a well. The well is approximately 30 feet deep, and there is a ladder on the well wall for people to descend. The path to the well entrance is swirl-like.

Before Ethan can go down, he has an extra task to complete. There is a Team Rocket Grunt watching at the well with his Grimer. He will not let anyone else enter, evidently.

"Cyndaquil, prepare for a fight!" Ethan says in low voice, taking out his team leader's Poké Ball, sneaking up to the Grunt…

"Scyther, Fury Cutter!"

Ethan suddenly hears someone behind shouting. Subsequently, a Scyther pops out from nowhere and slashes the Grimer with its scythes. The enemy Grimer is defeated.

The person rushing to Ethan appears to be a young boy in green shirt and shorts, and he grows long, purple hair. He holds a bug-catching net in his hand.

"Rats! There're two of them! I've to inform others!" The Team Rocket Grunt curses before he retreats down to the cave.

"Thanks for your timely appearance. I'm Ethan. May I have your name?" Ethan asks the boy.

"We can do self-introductions later! Hurry up!" The boy looks worried.

Climbing down to the well, the boys witness several Team Rocket Grunts doing a shady business. Two of them press on to the back of a Slowpoke to prevent it from escaping. Then, another takes out a rope and tie it around the Pokémon's body tight, regardless of its crying. Finally, a tall Grunt laughs coldly as he shows a keen knife in his hand, and severs the tail of the Slowpoke alive! The injured Slowpoke growls loudly in agony, but the Grunts turn a blind ear to it.

Losing its tail, the pitiable Slowpoke is then left aside with its wound still bleeding. Tears run down on its face, expressing its confusion and frustration why it should be tortured like this.

However, the Grunts would not spare a single look at the disabled Pokémon. A short Grunt brings a large bag and opens it, urging the tail-cutting accomplice to fill the fresh tail in. When the bag opens, the boys discover in indignation that, the bag is full of severed Slowpoke tails! Most of the tails have not had their bloodstain dried up, indicating that they were also freshly cut off. Ethan and the bug-catching boy find it unimaginable how many Slowpoke might have been harmed before their arrival.

And when the latest tail is put in the bag, the watching Grunt runs up to his fellows and informs them of the intruders. It is until then do the other criminals notice the presence of Ethan and the boy, who are walking towards them with a righteous look. In fact, they have never thought of hiding.

Thinking that their foes are two mere kids, the Grunts pejoratively release their Pokémon, including Zubat, Rattata and a few of othors.

"Cyndaquil, Ember!" commands Ethan.

"Scyther, Fury Cutter!" commands the boy.

Cyndaquil and Scyther finish off their enemies without too much hardship.

"Bah! You Team Rocket are so weak!" Ethan sticks his tongue out at the Grunts.

"Darn it! I have to tell my leader!" One of the Grunts runs into the depths flurried. Before long, he brings another tall man out. The tall man grows teal hair and looks like being in a high rank admin.

"Useless rubbish! You can't even get rid of two intruders? Why am I so courageous to feed you?" The Admin bitterly criticizes his underlings. The Grunts droop their heads not daring to look into his eyes.

"It… it's not our fault! But… but they are too strong!" One of the Grunts explains aggrieved.

"Humph! Now that you couldn't do your job, I'll do it!" says the Admin, "My name is Proton, and I'm one of the Admins of Team Rocket. We've done so much to find ourselves a way of earning, and then you meddlers appeared! Don't you remember that cutting off one's financial resource is equivalent to murdering his family?"

"Huh? Your wallets are stuffed with nothing but ill-gotten wealth! You have caused too much trouble for Azalea residents!" Ethan rebukes.

"Haven't you any sense of pity? Look at what you've done to the poor Slowpoke!" shouts the boy.

"How much trouble there is, and how poor Slowpoke are, have not a bit anything to do with us!" says Proton, "We Team Rocket are pragmatists. We only value things that can be made money from. I warn you to immediately take your noses off our affairs, or I'll have to do my work!"

"We won't let you go away with that!" Ethan and the boy would not flinch.

"If you insist, then prepare for trouble!"

Proton calls out a Koffing and a Zubat. He orders Koffing to use Smog and Zubat to use Air Cutter.

Proton's Koffing releases foul smoke from its mouth, blinding Ethan's side's eyes and make them cough. Proton's Zubat creates solidified air flows and flip them at the boys.

"Cough… cough… Cyndaquil, Ember!" commands Ethan.

Cyndaquil holds his breath to prevent inhales, and fires flame sparks from his mouth. However, the sparks are too weak to hold against Air Cutter, and are all deflected. What is more, Koffing's smokescreen of Smog adds itself to the difficulty for Ethan to take aim.

"I'll assist you!" The bug net boy comes up, "Scyther, Slash!"

Scyther waves its scythes to split the Smog. It then arrows at Koffing at lightning speed and leaves a scratch across its face. Scyther then does the same thing to Zubat before it can react. The double Slashes turn out to be effective. The enemy Koffing and Zubat fall onto the ground, unable to battle.

"Shoot! I lost again! Looks like our mission must be halted!" swears Proton, "But don't you think you're all done! This is only the beginning! And one day, we Team Rocket will demonstrate our ultimate scariness before all of you!"

"Did you disband years ago? Why are you still active?" asks Ethan angrily.

"Yes. We indeed broke up more than 2 years ago, but we continued our activities underground." says Proton, "And it would be soon that Team Rocket will revive to its glory. Brats like you are too naïve and childish to be worth an obstacle for us. You can't help against Team Rocket's resurrection anyway, bwahahahah!"

After the parting shot, Proton assembles all his underlings as quickly as he can and flees Slowpoke Well with their booties. Ethan and the boy tries to stop the thieves, but they do not succeed.

Untying the rope around the Slowpoke, Ethan asks the boy again for his name.

"I'm Bugsy. I'm the Gym Leader of Azalea Town." The boy introduces himself.

"You're the Leader? You must be training Bug-type Pokémon considering your net and clothes!"

"You're right. I resort to Ilex Forest west of Azalea Town to get in close touch with bugs. My dream is to create an encyclopedia of all Bug-type Pokémon in the world, and become a man of Bug-type authorities!" says Bugsy.

"Then my next Badge would be from you! I'll definitely win it from you!"

"Good. If you want my Badge, then meet me at Azalea Gym. I know you'd bring Cyndaquil, but my bugs are super fireproof!" Bugsy says confidently, "And before that, make sure you give enough training to Cyndaquil. It doesn't look very experienced."

"I will." says Ethan, "Let's see if it's my flame that's hotter or your bugs that're tougher!"

While the boys are leaving, Ethan accidently trips over a rock. The rock bears some resemblance to a crown. Ethan finds it rare, so he picks up the rock and puts away in his bag.

[11:23 AM, November 26, Azalea Town]
                    Back to the streets, Ethan and Bugsy have lost sight of Team Rocket. They have all run away. With the alarm over, the citizens gradually return outside. Ethan and Bugsy departs in front of Azalea Gym, with Bugsy resuming his Leader work and Ethan heading back to Kurt's house.

"Big bro, are you really challenging Bugsy bro's Gym?" asks Maizie after she learned about the incident at Slowpoke Well.

"Yeah. The Hive Badge would be my next one."

"Then let me give you some advice!" Maizie says enthusiastically, "Bug-type Pokémon are weak to Fire, Flying and Rock-types! I learned it days from my books!"

"Thank you, Maizie. I've already learned it." says Ethan, "I plan to have a 3-day training around Azalea Town. Could you offer me some temporary accommodation?"

"No problem!" Maizie agrees instantly, "Because I know big bro is the hero who beat Team Rocket!"

"And you, Mr. Kurt?" Ethan requests a further confirm.

"As Maizie said." says Kurt.

"Well, I'll be obliged to you both!"

This evening, Kurt and Maizie prepare a spare bed for Ethan.
                    --End of Epsiode 6--
                    Save File:
                    Spoiler:
                    Time: Day 6
                    Pokédex: Seen 17, Owned 2

Quick Reply