• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video Games DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Yeah hopefully it will. I will get a Steam card over the course of the coming week but I don't know if I should wait to get Borderlands 2 or not. It would be risky to wait, because it's not definite that it will be on sale on the last day again. Ah well, I don't mind paying the full price, if I see a game I like for a good price I'll pick it up.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Me? Nope!

Since I tend to play a game and just leave it for a long time after I finish it (or maybe not if it's not a game I like), I don't bother. The games that I do tend to regularly play through are either impossible to have a "challenge" (Warioware, Hotel Dusk, etc) or already have a challenge mode or something close to it in-game. For example...
Wario Land 4 has the crowns and treasure chests. (OK, now that I think about it, I challenge myself in beating the bosses without items in time)
Rhythm Heaven (Perfect rating)
NSMBU (Challenge mode.)
Elite Beat Agents (S-Rank)
Crash Bandicoot 2 (Relics and gems)
Halo 3 (skulls)

...unless you're talking about challenge mode in games rather than made up challenges. :x In which case, hell yeah, love them.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
So-so.

I'm not going to intentionally do them, unless they provide some kind of reward, but odd's are I'd complete a number of them through normal gameplay.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
If it's challenge type modes presented by the game (like Dante Must Die or something of the sort) I'll gladly do them. But, when it come to self-imposed challenges; it's rare I will actually do one.

Years
If you're talking about things like finding Skulls in Halo, Relics in Far Cry; no, not particularly. It just doesn't appeal to me, and it takes me a lot longer than it should most of the time.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Okay, I have something planned in mind, but first...

How do you guys feel about challenges in video games? Do you like doing them, or...

I have been obsessively trying to complete all the battle challenges in M&L 4, so go figure XD Spoecially since they look easy enough (win battles without taking damages, get a perfect when doing bros. attacks...).

It's better if they somehow reward you for them, otherwise it's just an extra.

TY

In Far Cry 3 i kinda did collect those relics for the secret weapons (and they are awesome to use), but it was just for the extra guns, it took a lot of time and i died a lot due to friggin tigers and bears (playing on the hardest mode).

Also there were challenges in BL2 which gave you badass ranks which you could use to improve stats of EVERY character in your game (so if you create a new Assassin, that Assassin would get all the benefits you collected with your first character). Tho they arent really challenges (Kill 100 Mauraders, thats just playing through the story), but there are some which take longer.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Also there were challenges in BL2 which gave you badass ranks which you could use to improve stats of EVERY character in your game (so if you create a new Assassin, that Assassin would get all the benefits you collected with your first character). Tho they arent really challenges (Kill 100 Mauraders, thats just playing through the story), but there are some which take longer.
I adored these, they were a great endeavour to spend time on after having completed the game and DLCs countless times haha. I really disliked the hidden vault symbol challenges since they just took the fun out of it due to the hours of pointless searching to no avail, but I loved all the other challenges. It made you use new weapons and in interesting ways to get all the Badass Ranks you can, which for me was a lot of fun and helped improve skills too.

I'd apply the same to any game - if the game has good replay value that it remains interesting after the main story, I'll always love the challenges aspect of it because that's just something to spice up the second play through haha. Plus they usually help you try out a broader range of the game which is a bonus!

TY

Aaaaaaah i hated those hidden Vault symbols... It took forever for me on PS3 to get that symbol in Terramorphous Peak where there is a big symbol on top of a cliff where you need to be on Terramormphous' spawn point to jump to that thing... argh i hated it...

I liked the challenhes where you need to powerslide-kill people... It was really challenging, Borderlands is a fun game

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
Sins Rebellion got its price cut a bit more so yay, time to get a copy.

Dawn of War franchise is 75% off right now... must... resist...

Years
To expand on what I said before, I generally do not like challenges, they waste a lot of time and, in most cases, you don't get an awful lot out of them. However, there are some cases where challenges are great! Both fun and rewarding. This is what you look for in a challenge, I don't mind putting my time into games (heck I love it!) as long as the challenges are worth while.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
All I need out of challenges is a sense of accomplishment. That is enough of a reward for me, everything else is extra.

In fact, I prefer when challenges don't have any rewards, particularly super hard challenges. A challenge mode is just an extra content, but having it be required for an unlockable (be it a level, or a character, or whatever) can be pretty annoying. I mean, I'm completely OK with it (Final Destination's unlock process in Melee is my favorite and I loved getting the Hayabusa armor in Halo 3), but I can see why some can take it differently when something they want is locked behind something made for experts, or something that requires too much time. I'd prefer if the reward was something like a medal or other minor things that showcase your accomplishment.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I used to be really into Challenges but as time went on I got bored of always getting 1000g and Platinum's, if I randomly get close to some I will complete them however. Other than that I really don't see the point anymore. I play the games to enjoy them now.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Challenges in video games brought a huge influence in my life by making challenges of my own to make my life harder than it's suppose to be, in order to earn life achievements for the afterlife, and I would highly recommend everyone else to join in, because that's how I view the hardcore fanbase: they place so much restrictions to make things Nintendo Hard, which was what they grew up with during the NES/SNES era.

Also, I heard EA is raising the prices for their games to $80, which is a bad move for EA, unless they really want to be the worst company three times in a row. Here's a video about it for more info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAyh9b5szTQ&feature=player_embedded

Years
EA's games are expensive as they are already, they're just trying to make easy money. But there is a thread about this, so don't want to delve into it.

Anyway, on another note, do any of you play Garry's Mod?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
EA's games are expensive as they are already, they're just trying to make easy money. But there is a thread about this, so don't want to delve into it.

Anyway, on another note, do any of you play Garry's Mod?
I do. It's been years since I played last (since my previous one was on my brothers account), but it was on sale so I got it again.

It's my first time playing Version 13, but I have to say, I like the UI and Workshop integration.

Years
The game always seems to be on sale every now and then. :3

Yeah, they've made a lot of nifty improvements to the game. I don't know if it's just me, but the graphics have started to "flow" a bit better than before, from what I can see. Also, have you downloaded much mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back