• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favourite console for your favourite genre

Years
Same as title. For example, do you like playing FPS games on your PC? Or perhaps fighting games on a Dreamcast?

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
FPS and RTS games, definitely PC. I grew up with those games in PC and I feel that the good ole mouse and keyboard suits those games much more than anything. Also, these games are the ones that are often made even better through user/fan made mods which are definitely PC. inb4PCelitist

As for Hack n Slash action games such as DMC, GoW, Warriors series, definitely the console and the Playstation family.

For really olde school such as side scrollers, definitely NES and SNES. While I don't condemn emulation in order to play some NES and SNES classics, its definitely a lot better to play those with the actual hardware just to have that pure feeling.

As for fighting games and rail shooters.. come on, we know that its the Arcades is where these games are at ;)

TY

RTS games, definetly PC... I tried it on console and it just doesn't feel right.

The rest... I don't really mind it that much just depends on what platform my friends play it on xD

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
3DS, for RPGs, and puzzle games. Entire DS backlog and 3DS catalog for RPGS is equivalent to the golden era of the snes, and then you have the ePicross lineup, the two 3D Picross titles, professor layton, zero escape series, Pushmo/Pullmo, MR vs DK, its pure bliss.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Anything that requires a high APM like RTS I vastly prefer on PC, as well as FPS games. Otherwise it doesn't matter.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 5, 2023
I'm gonna go a little more old-fashioned here.

PS2 for JRPGs all the way. My favorite era of them is mainly from 2000-2005, where the graphics were good enough to depict some awesome emotion, but not too good as to make the only focus be on them.

If we have to go modern though, honestly, mobile platforms nowadays have JRPGs I might be interested in playing. But I can't play those with my fiance on the big screen, so that makes them unfeasible.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
Pc for everything that I can get on it. FPS, RPG, RTS, whatever. If it's console exclusive I'll probably get it on Xbox One, and I only have the ps4 for console exclusives I want to play (ala TLOU ) or games that have exclusive benefits I like (ala Destiny)

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
PC.

Excluding that, though, the SNES, for Action RPGs. While I think that the Souls series has built a pretty solid foundation for what Action RPGs should be through several of its mechanics, back in the days of the SNES, the RPG was in something of a golden age. There was a standard for them, but it was pretty often to see a developer come out of nowhere and try something new and interesting, and a lot of these ideas became unique to the era as a result.

Today, there are no Secrets of Manas or Terranigmas, and since then I feel that, despite the ARPG (in the non-CRPG sense) has either been horribly mutilated or mostly mimicry, save for the titles that either go generic (ie Elder Scolls) or mediocre (Too many to name, also Skyrim). Or unique, of course. And this may sound cynical, I don't hate the genre. I had a blast with Dragon's Dogma, Souls is fantastic, and I was one of the few people that actually liked Type-0- I still love ARPGs. But back in the SNES days, it was almost like you couldn't be a generic Action RPG because there wasn't really any sort of standard. And there's quite a fair number of them on the console.

I have hope for the genre yet, I still think it has an incredible amount of untapped potential.

Years
I love playing first person shooters on my Xbox 360; no other controller can rival the triggers on the 360 controller (not even the Xbox One). {XD}

This may sound odd, but I think fighting games go awesome with a Wii remote and a Nunchuck! It forces the fighting game to use a minimal amount of buttons.

The GameBoy Advance is ideal for 2D platformer games, in my opinion. When NES/SNES remakes, it's nice to have the A and B buttons right next to each other.

Otherwise, I'll play any genre on any other consoles... The only thing I don't like playing games on is my computer. I don't mind playing virtual card games, but the keyboard just seems so clunky as opposed to a video game controller (yes, I know I can plug a controller into my computer, but I'm too lazy to find my USB.) :P

Last edited:
Back