• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Completed] Pokémon Gray Topaz - Version 2 Ready!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 3, 2016
sC6Uh1A.png

Pokémon Gray Topaz

Rated T for swearing, violence, and mentions of death.

DOWNLOAD HERE
Alternate Link
Alternate Link #2
(Warning: Large file. Not recommended on older computers.)

Tools:

RPG Maker XP
Pokémon Essentials v15
Ultimate BW Pack

Introduction:
This is the first time I've ever made a game. I've been working on it by myself since March 2014. I just wanted to make a Dark gym. OTL

Plot:
Your mom left the family to go be part of the Elite Four, and it caused you to seclude yourself in your room for some time. Your dad gets tired of you bumming around, so he kicks you out to force you to go on an adventure. That's it. That's the story. Also something about an evil organization, but you already knew that.

If that's not enough to convince you, here's a quote from one of the testers:

Hey everyone, I'm the previously mentioned first tester. A few things I feel need to be addressed. For one, let me assure you the story is great. If you've been looking for a darker, grittier, more intense Pokémon experience then you've found your game here. It's still a Pokémon game though so don't expect anything too dark and there are still PLENTY of lighthearted humorous moments thrown in. Can't say very much about it without giving too much away, you'll just have to trust me and play it for yourself, it's worth it.

Second point, this game ain't easy. You will need a full, at least decently well prepared team by the time you reach the second gym and onward. Some of the main story battles late in the game will see you against true competitive style teams that will use competition style tactics.

Third, this is a full length game with an approximately 20 hour main story (well that's how long the first test run took anyway), a full complement of story driven side quests, post game content to be added at a later date, And tons of hidden items and easter eggs for you to find. Talk to as many people in towns as you can and make sure you search every area completely because most of them actually have very worthwhile content and/or items. So have fun and enjoy. The entire game was made by one person and so far I've been the only tester. So don't be surprised if everything isn't perfect and feedback is most certainly welcomed as long as it's constructive. So stop reading this and start playing lol, I think most of you will really enjoy it
1.%20smile.gif
Features:
Three genders for you to pick out! Male, Female, or whatever you want!
Two different rivals for you to beat up! Their genders are the ones you didn't pick!
Fifteen starters to choose from! All of the ones from Red/Blue to Black/White.
• If you do the math for the above, that means there's thirty variations for one rival battle. Wow!
• All 649 Pokémon up to Black/White are available to catch!
• Original characters! Who knows what the next gym leader will look/act like!
• An evil organization whose goal isn't to take over the world! (They're just poké-racists.)

• A high difficulty against important trainers! Can't sweep with your starter in this one, kids.
• Fancy graphics! (Or as nice as I could get them to be, aha)
• Side quests! Gotta earn those Legendaries somehow!
• Post-game content!

Progress:
100% complete! Go wild!

Let me know if you encounter any serious bugs/issues and I'll certainly work on those. The game crashing after very long periods of playing is normal, unfortunately. It's the cost of using an outdated version of RPG maker, so you'll have to save often. Sorry for the inconvienience, but I hope you'll be able to enjoy it regardless!

Newest updates:
Spoiler:

Quick Patch (Without Graphic/Audio files) - Updated as of 2/27/16 (Alternate link) (Alternate Link #2)
Hard Edition (Without Graphic/Audio files) - Pre-nerfed battles to compare/contrast - Due to people complaining about the game being hard as it is, I don't see the point wasting time compressing the beta anymore, but I will keep the info in the walkthrough.
Note: You need to have already downloaded the original before you can use the above links. Just overwrite the old files with the new ones.
HUGE WARNING: OLD SAVES MIGHT NOT BE COMPATIBLE WITH THE NEWEST VERSION. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.
(Going into your computer's saved games file and renaming the file from 'Gray Topaz' to 'Gray Topaz v2' might help, but worst case scenario you'll have to start from scratch.)

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Credits:
Exterior Graphics
Interior Graphics came from an RPG Maker tileset that included graphics from Kyle-Dove and Newtiteuf. However, I can't find it again. If anyone finds it let me know so I can credit this properly. So sorry. OTL
Overworld Sprites
Other Graphics were taken from The Spriter's Resource.
Enterbrain for RPG Maker
Maruno and co. for Pokémon Essentials

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 3, 2016
Walkthrough

Part 1
Spoiler:

Part 2
Spoiler:

Part 3
Spoiler:

Part 4
Spoiler:

Part 5
Spoiler:

Part 6
Spoiler:

Part 7
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Part 8
Spoiler:

Part 9
Spoiler:

Part 10
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Bowlstir

Media Arts and Game Development
Years
Glad to hear that you finished a full storyline!
--------------
I'll try and test some of it out when I get the chance.
--------------
Thoughts:
The back sprite for Swampert looks a little big.
You need to give credit to RPG Maker and Pokemon Essential makers.
The plot that your Dad kicks you out is a little... Sad?
Are you aware of the Rom Hack Pokemon Topaz?

Finally, the walkthrough is a great addition.
--------------

Bowlstir

Last edited:

Sniper

ふゆかい
Years
Mapping and some ow sprites need a little work :) The plot is too boring and too common. Can't it be something like about Giratina like that? So it matches your titlescreen? Good work though!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 3, 2016
Glad to hear that you finished a full storyline!
--------------
I'll try and test some of it out when I get the chance.
--------------
Thoughts:
The back sprite for Swampert looks a little big.
You need to give credit to RPG Maker and Pokemon Essential makers.
The plot that your Dad kicks you out is a little... Sad?
Are you aware of the Rom Hack Pokemon Topaz?

Finally, the walkthrough is a great addition.
--------------

Bowlstir
*I have no control over the size of the sprites since I got them from a pack, but I see what you mean.
*I do have them properly credited in the game itself, yet I see your point. Added.
*It's tough love.
*No, I'm not. I'm sure the word Gray is enough to separate the two. At least I hope, aha.

Thank you for the feedback!

Bowlstir

Media Arts and Game Development
Years
*No, I'm not. I'm sure the word Gray is enough to separate the two. At least I hope, aha.

Thank you for the feedback!

Might want to give it a little more spice on the name and plot. Trust me, it's what draws people to your game.

And no problem, I hope this constructive criticism helped.

Chimchar

THE Chimchar Tamer
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Jun 11, 2017
yes, I thought that the title seemed a little bland. You may want to change that.

I do like the long blond sprite. It reminded me of a Dragon Ball super saiyan.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 3, 2016
Is the name really that bad? I did put thought into the name. It's Black/White put together, and a birthstone that actually comes in that color. How can I get more creative than that? OTL

Meanwhile anyone that already downloaded the game, I have an update with some fixed issues that doesn't include the graphics/audio file here. This should save you a lot of time. Any changes in the future will include both a full and light version, with the light version located under the progress section. Do check back often!

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
Hmmm very simple i like it the only thing i dont like is the sprites they dont really look good maybe someone could help u or u could edit them later

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 3, 2016
I did the best I could with sprites. I'm not a professional or anything. ; w;

To everyone else: The newest update was mainly to nerf the Elite Four/Champion. Originally I had a 55-70 curve because of Hydreigon, but it came to my attention that this was unreasonable given the limited methods of grinding once you're past 55. So for the sake of fairness, I changed Hydreigon so he evolved at 60 instead, allowing me to change the curve to 52-65. (64 is way too late for a Pokémon to evolve anyway, am I alright?)

After torturing my alpha tester for a whole day, I managed to create a beatable Elite Four. How difficult they are will depend on your team *cough*pleasehaveicebeam*cough*, but I will accept any criticism/suggestions people have to improve the teams. Thank you.

P.S. Spruge was nerfed too, as you may have noticed. Originally Qwilfish had Poison Point with Minimize, Water Gun, Toxic Spikes, and Venoshock, but he was completely untouchable because of that. Replacing Minimize with Harden made the problem worse. Also, Crobat had Wing Attack, but two different STAB moves made him unreasonably difficult. What I have now instead might not be the best. Suggestions on how to improve?

Last edited:

Dedenne1

Years
I think it would be best if u could find some help with the sprites many games just edit the canon ones which makes it look unofficial and sloppy. There are many people on the community who are great at that and could help with other things! Idk about the storyline cause if people want to play they wont continue if it isnt a fun and invigorating story.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 3, 2016
Well I'm not against volunteers. ( o uo)

To everyone else: PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE NEWEST UPDATE. Some of you might have noticed abilities weren't working properly. Well I found out why and fixed it, so it's very important you do this asap. I'll admit this happened because I messed with compiling, which was a bad idea from the start. Sorry for the trouble. OTL

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 21, 2016
made an account so i could comment on this, game looks good and once it downloads i'll let you know more of what i think once i've played through it a little bit :) looks like a great game though

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jul 28, 2015
Hey everyone, I'm the previously mentioned first tester. A few things I feel need to be addressed. For one, let me assure you the story is great. If you've been looking for a darker, grittier, more intense Pokémon experience then you've found your game here. It's still a Pokémon game though so don't expect anything too dark and there are still PLENTY of lighthearted humorous moments thrown in. Can't say very much about it without giving too much away, you'll just have to trust me and play it for yourself, it's worth it.

Second point, this game ain't easy. You will need a full, at least decently well prepared team by the time you reach the second gym and onward. Some of the main story battles late in the game will see you against true competitive style teams that will use competition style tactics.

Third, this is a full length game with an approximately 20 hour main story (well that's how long the first test run took anyway), a full complement of story driven side quests, post game content to be added at a later date, And tons of hidden items and easter eggs for you to find. Talk to as many people in towns as you can and make sure you search every area completely because most of them actually have very worthwhile content and/or items. So have fun and enjoy. The entire game was made by one person and so far I've been the only tester. So don't be surprised if everything isn't perfect and feedback is most certainly welcomed as long as it's constructive. So stop reading this and start playing lol, I think most of you will really enjoy it :).

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 3, 2016

Third, this is a full length game with an approximately 20 hour main story (well that's how long the first test run took anyway), a full complement of story driven side quests, post game content to be added at a later date, And tons of hidden items and easter eggs for you to find. Talk to as many people in towns as you can and make sure you search every area completely because most of them actually have very worthwhile content and/or items. So have fun and enjoy. The entire game was made by one person and so far I've been the only tester. So don't be surprised if everything isn't perfect and feedback is most certainly welcomed as long as it's constructive. So stop reading this and start playing lol, I think most of you will really enjoy it :).
Thanks, man. I'm gonna quote you in the first post. o wo

Dedenne1

Years
Well I guess ill check out the new update and Happy Beta Testin hehe ;)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 3, 2016
am i the only one that gets an error message when trying to go into the graveyard? haha
Try again. I tested the newest version and it should work. Chances are it was a random crash. If it's still happening please screenshot it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 21, 2016
Try again. I tested the newest version and it should work. Chances are it was a random crash. If it's still happening please screenshot it.

yeah it was a random crash....it worked now i played for like 6 hours straight and kept getting the error message like 4 times in the same area but played it again today and its working fine now haha :) great game though really loving it :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Apr 3, 2016
yeah it was a random crash....it worked now i played for like 6 hours straight and kept getting the error message like 4 times in the same area but played it again today and its working fine now haha :) great game though really loving it :)
Huh, weird. At least it's working now. Glad you're enjoying it. :3

Back