• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Little Cup Challenge

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
I am sincerely sorry for not continuing! I'm pretty busy with homework and all, and I have another Monotype Challenge going on. I will progress soon, do not fret.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 3, 2024
     MAJOR UPDATE : I changed a lot of things on the presentation, here's the list of changes :
- I expanded the list of pokemon available in Little Cup with Sun & Moon new ones, like the others, you can find them by Monotype/Dual Types and Games in alphabetic order.
- I did a few changes concerning challenges, now there are Simple, Semi-Ultimate and Ultimate (see presentation for details), I also made a few changes concerning Ultimate challenge itself
- With the release of Sun/Moon, you can now do a challenge in both game, on top of that, they allow you to use 5th Gen pokemon for an ultimate challenge (Only the last kind, see presentation for details as well)

Mother. Of. Arceus. That end was brutal. I abused the hell out of heal spamming and Revives, but we did it. I finished the game. Let me tell you, doing the Elite Four with Lv. 40 unevolved mons sucked. Sure, maybe abusing the speed up button like a horse rider was a bad idea which led to some problems, but that doesn't matter now.

Team Zero (Final)

b1bd86f776e64e41b95e73774af5fc95.png

007.png

Bowser Jr. (Squirtle) Lv. 47
Final Stats: 119/68/87/59/62
Moves: Strength, Withdraw, Ice Beam, Surf

025.png

Electra (Pikachu) Lv. 42
Final Stats: 100/69/40/95/57
Moves: Thundershock, Swift, Thunder Wave, Quick Attack

050.png

Dig Dug (Diglett) Lv. 43
Final Stats: 78/71/48/99/60
Moves: Slash, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Sand-Attack

058.png

Shiranui (Growlithe) Lv. 41
Final Stats: 111/85/50/75/61
Moves: Double-Edge, Dig, Fire Blast, Body Slam

092.png

Jasper (The Very Unfriendly Ghost) (Gastly)
Final Stats: 109/62/56/103/116
Moves: Mega Drain, Confuse Ray, Thunderbolt, Psychic

I can say without a doubt that Jasper was the MVP of this squad. Sure, early on, Electra was higher up in terms of levels and overall use, but as the game went on (and the fact I was highly considering teaching Thunderbolt to Jasper instead of Electra considering her Attack stat is higher). Yes, I know mons in Gen 1 are genderless, but when I make up the nicknames, I use them from prior playthroughs, and I always name my female Pikachus Electra, so ye. Anyway, her use started to drop while Dig Dug and Jasper started to steal the spotlight. Bowser Jr. was mostly just kinda there since I had Dig Dug around, but he put in his share of the work towards the end of the game when we started facing more Ground and Fire types, along with Giovanni at Silph Co and in Viridian Gym. Plus, he basically instakilled any Rhyhorn/Rhydon we ran into with Surf...like a boss.

Shiranui, however, I'd have to say would be my LVP. He was barely usable, struggled big time in Celadon Gym because Ember sucks and the only alternative I had at the time was Body Slam via TM. I tried to give him chances, but until I gave him moves like Double-Edge and eventually Dig during Silph Co, he wasn't too useful aside from the occasional Grass type. Growlithe may improve in later generations with better TM choices, but this time around, he was just overshadowed by much better mons like Jasper, Dig Dug, and even Bowser Jr.

Oh, and honorable mention to Electra. If it wasn't for Alakazam being an idiot turn 1 and using Reflect so she could Thunder Wave it and make sure the rest of the team could chip away at it before they could get blown back by Psybeam, it would've been over.

Welp, that's one run complete...out of 7. While I'd love to go and move on to the next generation, I have some unfinished Nuzlocke business to attend to first. Once that's done, though, we'll be back for the next chapter. Chapter 2: The Best Region Ever Made - The Little Cup Experience When Whitney's Miltank Runs House on Everything. Thank you, and enjoy Sun and Moon Release Day.

Fiuuuh, congratulations ! Yeah I can understand you on the first point, little cup pokemons underleveled against fully evolved one from the Elite Four is like trying to outspeed a train while running, it seems completely unfair xD The speed button always appear to me like a godsend while playing Pokemon games, otherwise I found them too slow it's crazy !
   First, I was surprised you only had five pokemon, I thought you would have six to finish the game more easily :) For Growlithe, even though I advised you to take one, I have to admit that he somehow sucks in gen I, but it seems he improved a lot in latter generations. For your Squirtle, it's funny you nicknamed him Bowser Jr even though he isn't a fire type pokemon x) But it's rather good as a water type since most of the gym leaders are weak to it. As for Jasper, yeah, I find it over powered sometimes, even if Ghost Type is somehow bugged in gen I, he proves his usefulness as game went far :) For Electra, it's your own right to consider all pokemon having gender, I have to admit not knowing they were genderless in Gen I xD But Pikachu is usefull as he/she only have one weakness but prove useful againt Water and Flying, and he's pretty powerful too. And at last, Diglett, as a ground type can counter/check a lot of threats too, and as generations went, he became more and more powerful and really useful for a lot of teams :)

I'm really happy you enjoyed it, and more due to the fact you want to do other regions, I'm looking forward you progress :D

I'll update the presentation with your team and victory, welcome to the Hall of Fame ;)

I am sincerely sorry for not continuing! I'm pretty busy with homework and all, and I have another Monotype Challenge going on. I will progress soon, do not fret.

Well, really you don't need to feel sorry, I can perfectly understand that someone could be busy at any time, by the way there is no time limit for doing challenge as far as I know so don't worry for that, do your best ;)

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
First, I was surprised you only had five pokemon, I thought you would have six to finish the game more easily :)

I tend to raise up less team members since having a full squad normally forces me to grind more. Less is more and makes my life easier. Speaking of which, time to do the polar opposite by beginning the infamous Chapter 2: The Part When Whitney's Miltank Destroys Me 9001 Times, or Gen 2 for the common folk/people who surprisingly aren't intimidated by Whitney's Miltank

Username: BlissyMKW
Version: Chapter 2: The Best Region Ever Made - The Little Cup Experience When Whitney's Miltank Runs House on Everything. Also known as Gold, the first Pokemon game I ever played. After that was Stadium 1, and that's not a pleasant experience...
Challenge: Simple
Pokemon of choice: Totodile without a doubt. Like before, I add on team members as I go along. Seeing as I'm considering the full run experience (AKA beating Red), I'll really need to consider my choices of TM/team members, especially since this is the only generation that Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, and Ice Beam are unavailable via TM.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 3, 2024
I tend to raise up less team members since having a full squad normally forces me to grind more. Less is more and makes my life easier. Speaking of which, time to do the polar opposite by beginning the infamous Chapter 2: The Part When Whitney's Miltank Destroys Me 9001 Times, or Gen 2 for the common folk/people who surprisingly aren't intimidated by Whitney's Miltank

Version: Chapter 2: The Best Region Ever Made - The Little Cup Experience When Whitney's Miltank Runs House on Everything. Also known as Gold, the first Pokemon game I ever played. After that was Stadium 1, and that's not a pleasant experience...
Pokemon of choice: Totodile without a doubt. Like before, I add on team members as I go along. Seeing as I'm considering the full run experience (AKA beating Red), I'll really need to consider my choices of TM/team members, especially since this is the only generation that Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, and Ice Beam are unavailable via TM.

I understand your point, yeah it took less time to grind if you have one less pokemon in your team, but I think it's more easier to have a balanced team to make things right against tough opponents :)
Anyway thanks for signing up again, and I had to say that I don't usually play Gold but this time I'll play it too so here's my sign up :

Username: Strelok Legend
Version: Gold (And I'll play until the very end, aka beating Red)
Pokemon of choice: I'm going with Cyndaquil as my favorite starter, and like you, I'll add onto my team as I play the game :)

Good Luck ;) (I registered your sign up in the presentation)

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
I understand your point, yeah it took less time to grind if you have one less pokemon in your team, but I think it's more easier to have a balanced team to make things right against tough opponents :)
Anyway thanks for signing up again, and I had to say that I don't usually play Gold but this time I'll play it too so here's my sign up :

Version: Gold (And I'll play until the very end, aka beating Red)
Pokemon of choice: I'm going with Cyndaquil as my favorite starter, and like you, I'll add onto my team as I play the game :)

Good Luck ;) (I registered your sign up in the presentation)
You should totally tell me how many times you get wrecked by Wbitney's Devil Cow...I mean Miltank.

Anyway, it took a complete Rollout annihilation and spamming my X items and sacking off my Cut slave to heal, but in only two attempts, I beat the infamous Miltank. With my overleved Totodile, I think I'm in a good spot...for now.

Actually, ignore that first part. I decided to just get half of Johto's gyms done for now, so Morty is finished and the Lighthouse is next on my hitlist. Let's do a little team update.

Team Zero

158.png

Jaws (Totodile) Lv. 30 @ Everstone (For now)
Moves: Scratch, Leer, Bite, Surf

066.png

The Rock (Machop)
Lv. 26 @ Quick Claw
Moves: Low Kick, Ice Punch, Strength, Karate Chop

133.png

Origins (Eevee)
Lv. 28 @ Nothing
Moves: Headbutt, Shadow Ball, Mud-Slap, Swift

Yes, I actually got a female Eevee...that I'm not allowed to evolve into Espeon because Espeon is an evolved mon. That was a crushing moment to my hopes for my team. However, I did go and catch myself a fourth team member. What it is, I'll wait to show off...next time!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 3, 2024
You should totally tell me how many times you get wrecked by Wbitney's Devil Cow...I mean Miltank.

Anyway, it took a complete Rollout annihilation and spamming my X items and sacking off my Cut slave to heal, but in only two attempts, I beat the infamous Miltank. With my overleved Totodile, I think I'm in a good spot...for now.

Actually, ignore that first part. I decided to just get half of Johto's gyms done for now, so Morty is finished and the Lighthouse is next on my hitlist. Let's do a little team update.

Team Zero

158.png

Jaws (Totodile) Lv. 30 @ Everstone (For now)
Moves: Scratch, Leer, Bite, Surf

066.png

The Rock (Machop)
Lv. 26 @ Quick Claw
Moves: Low Kick, Ice Punch, Strength, Karate Chop

133.png

Origins (Eevee)
Lv. 28 @ Nothing
Moves: Headbutt, Shadow Ball, Mud-Slap, Swift

Yes, I actually got a female Eevee...that I'm not allowed to evolve into Espeon because Espeon is an evolved mon. That was a crushing moment to my hopes for my team. However, I did go and catch myself a fourth team member. What it is, I'll wait to show off...next time!

1480350515-objection.png

Actually, the Miltank was the one who got wrecked :P First, I'll have something to show, the game finished. (Hope you don't mind pictures are in french because of my native language I prefer to play games in french, even if I don't mind playing them in english, I'm not used to Gold version.)

Spoiler:

Here's my detailled adventure : right from the beginning, I had Cyndaquil in mind as my Starter, but it can't be helped, I needed a grass type, the only problem is that Bulbasaur is unobtainable on a single save (must use Temporal Bloc if I remember correctly). At this point, I also wanted Chikorita, the only grass type I could accept in my party. So I used a glich to get the three Starters (I realized after that I don't want Totodile), so after that, I had two members, Cyndaquil (FIRE) and Chikorita (LEAF). After that, I trained both of them until level 15 before the first rival battle. No need to say it was a murder xD
    After giving the egg to Prof Elm, I headed to Sprout Tower (I hesitate to catch a Gastly but finally I don't). After that was over, I beat Falkner in no time. Everything went smoothly until I arrived in the Slowpoke Well, so I caught a Slowpoke (I realized far latter in the game that I forgot to nickname him). I proceeded to train my team before Bugsy (even though I would have won with the actual team) in the Union Cave until the three members reach level 25. Then I beat the crap of Bugsy without any effort, second badge obtained.
     Inside the Ilex Forest, I caught a Oddish in order to cut trees then I got out of it. When I reached Route 34, I immediatly caught a Drowzee. Why ? Simply because I wanted the only Machop available soon in the game, MUSCLE, in a in-game trade at the cost of a Drowzee. After that, I got back to Union Cave and proceeded to train him until level 27 to match others members of the team. Back to Goldenrod City, I literally swept the entire Gym including Whitney's Miltank (with only two Karate Chop in a row), and then the third badge was mine. Next was Ecruteak City, where I defeated Morty with the help of Slowpoke Psychic type (aka Confusion), it wasn't that easy and I made some round trips between the Gym and Pokemon Center (mostly because paralysis). But finally I got my fourth badge. Before heading to Olivine City AFTER buying Dratini (named ILLUSION) in Goldenrod game corner, it took a lot of time to train him to match other members but I did it, because I knew it was worth doing it).
    In the meantime, since Bugsy, I "EV" trained my team (mostly HP points, you'll notice it in the picture of the Seventh Gym). Even if the term of EV isn't exact in itself for the first two generations. So back to present, I followed the storyline, trained my team until level 37 (got poisoned a lot by Tentacool x( ) then challenged Jasmine. I burned her team to ashes with FIRE in order to get the sixth badge then defeat Chuck in Cianwood City with Slowmpoke to obtain the fifth badge.
    On Route 42 & 43, I took time to grind until level 42 (45 for ILLUSION to prepare the fight against the last Gym) then follow the plot until I gain access to the seventh gym, and Pryce had not choice but to give me the seventh badge or FIRE would have burnt the entire gym :P.
    Finally I managed to get to Blackthorn City, in the meantime I caught SHOIN, a shy Swinub, (I wanted Larvitar but Mt Silver... is pretty far in the game... yeah, at the end, so it wasn't worth), after training him, his Ice typing proved useful against the gym and he worked in pair with ILLUSION to defeat Clair. After the stupid gym leader refused to handle me the badge, I did her task and finally get the last Johto badge.

Spoiler:

Nothing to say, really the Elite Four was easy, my team handled it with care, FIRE took down Will, then worked with SHOIN to deal with Koga, Slowpoke spammed Psychic and Surf to get rid of Bruno despite taking damages during the fight. MUSCLE destroyed the team of Karen using Submission, Cross Chop and Vital Throw and the whole team participated in order to defeat Lance, and because I love symbolism, FIRE was the one who beat his last pokemon, aka Aerodactyl.

Spoiler:

So I'm now the champion, what's more to say, the playing time is false, I used the speed button to grind faster so time was accelerated. I realized that I forgot to nickname Slowpoke during Elite Four battle so it was too late. Somehow I felt stupid... One more thing, I don't know how it happened but all the female of my team seems to have become males (LEAF and MUSCLE).

Spoiler:

I followed the plot until Kanto (damn little girl on the boat really... I hate her), then I reached Vermilion City, cut the tree, defeat Lt Surge using Earthquakes with SHOIN, first kanto badge, obtained. Then I headed to Celadon City, burned the gym to ashes with FIRE and got the second badge from Erika in no time. Third one was obtained right after Saffron City, handled by Sabrina after LEAF beat the crap out of her. (not that easy I admit). I went to Lavender town, traveled throught Rock Tunnel, heard about Central Problem, solved it after beating Misty without any effort using LEAF again, gained the fourth badge.
    Once the Snorlax was out of my way, I headed to Pewter City, got rid of Brock with MUSCLE and obtained the fifth badge. I went to Celadon City, traveled Cycling Road to Fuchsia City's gym, SHOIN & FIRE wrecked everyting inside and got me the sixth badge. I went to Cinnabar Island thought Pallet Town then to Seafoam Islands to take down Blaine with Slowpoke, winning the seventh badge.
    I spoke to Blue who challenged me at the Viridian City's Gym, and he thanked me by giving me his badge (ILLUSION can be persuasive sometimes :P), the last one from Kanto. Me and my team the headed to Pallet Town to talk to Prof Oak, who let me gain access to Mt Silver and to HIM... the only trainer on my way to become the very best...
    My whole team level was near 55, I knew it wouldn't be easy but I didn't want to train anymore... So I teached Flash to LEAF (couln't take any HM slave, I needed the entire team for that fight). And it didn't take too long to reach the heart of Mt Silver, and Red... It was a tough fight, really :)

Here's how it happened :
1. Red sent Pikachu first, MUSCLE teach him the harsh reality with two Cross Chop.
2. Espeon went second, he wasn't that easy, and Slowpoke struggled against him. I used a lot of full restores while taking his health down step by step, using Amnesia (to reduce damages taken), Surf, Psychic and Strenght, finally I beat him.
3. Snorlax cames in (the most powerful), MUSCLE sent him back to his Poke Ball with some Cross Chop too, luckily, Snorlax wasn't in a aggresive mood today.
4. Here is the heart of the battle, I sent Dratini (because Slowpoke was wounded), first I use thunder wave and then counted on Luck to heal everyone in the team "freely", I managed to beat this one after that, using Outrage.
5. Blastoise wasn't that difficult but I didn't send LEAF because of the threat of Blizzard. So I used Slowpoke to take him down with multiple Strenght, and it worked.
6. And finally Venusaur cames in, I knew it, I knew it has to be FIRE, the chosen one from the beginning, he has to take this monster down. And that's what he did, with two powerful Flamethrower, he did it, he made the final move that led the team to victory !!

And this is the end, I beat Red and finish the game once and for all :) Now this is my team :

155.png

FIRE (Cyndaquil) Lv. 56 @ Everstone
Moves: Flame Wheel, Quick Attack, Flamethrower, Swift

152.png

LEAF (Chikorita) Lv. 55 @ Nothing
Moves: Razor Leaf, Synthesis, Reflect, Flash

079.png

SLOWPOKE (Slowpoke) Lv. 55 @ Nothing
Moves: Surf, Psychic, Amnesia, Strenght

066.png

MUSCLE (Machop) Lv. 54 @ Nothing
Moves: Vital Throw, , Cross Chop, Focus Energy, Submission

147.png

ILLUSION (Dratini) Lv. 56 @ Dragon Fang
Moves: Outrage, Waterfall, Slam, Thunder Wave

220.png

SHOIN (Swinub) Lv.54 @ Nothing
Moves: Icy Windt, Blizzard, Earthquake, Curse​

Now let's get back to your team, first question is... where the hell did you found this Machop ? O_o Furthermore, you obviously get him after Goldenrod City, otherwise, Whitney wouldn't have been a problem at all just like in my playthrough. Second question is about Eevee, maybe you like her but as a pokemon herself, without evolving (yeah you can't... I feel sorry for you really :/) isn't she pretty weak and have a poor movepool ? I'm just curious ~_~

Last edited:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Now let's get back to your team, first question is... where the hell did you found this Machop ? O_o Furthermore, you obviously get him after Goldenrod City, otherwise, Whitney wouldn't have been a problem at all just like in my playthrough. Second question is about Eevee, maybe you like her but as a pokemon herself, without evolving (yeah you can't... I feel sorry for you really :/) isn't she pretty weak and have a poor movepool ? I'm just curious ~_~
You can find Machop in Mt. Mortar. Took a good few minutes, but I got him. As for Eevee...I don't know why I chose to use it. I figured "well, I didn't use it when it was free in Gen 1. Plus, I don't really have a concrete team plan, so why not?" That's sort of the whole story behind it. She did put in some work against Morty thanks to Mud-Slap. Too late to make last second team changes now, so I'm stuck with her :P

Oh, and one more thing. You didn't do it right. You gotta break out the image, like this.

hqdefault.jpg

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 3, 2024
You can find Machop in Mt. Mortar. Took a good few minutes, but I got him. As for Eevee...I don't know why I chose to use it. I figured "well, I didn't use it when it was free in Gen 1. Plus, I don't really have a concrete team plan, so why not?" That's sort of the whole story behind it. She did put in some work against Morty thanks to Mud-Slap. Too late to make last second team changes now, so I'm stuck with her :P

Oh, and one more thing. You didn't do it right. You gotta break out the image, like this.

hqdefault.jpg

Again my knowledge of Gold is limited xD + Do whatever you want, I like Eevee too anyway and a female one is rare :P Now I have to modify original post to include your team progress and my completed challenge :)

Oh that's right Sensei, I'm gonna fix it right away {D:}

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Welp, Johto is done. Let me just say, I considered using Teddiursa...and didn't regert it. It put in nothing but power once I raised her up during my massive pre Elite Four grinding in Victory Road where I got everyone up to Lv. 45 by passing around the Everstone since everyone barring Origins had a reliable way to kill almost everything in Victory Road (except maybe the ultra annoying Confuse Ray Golbats. I hate those things.) But anyway, believe it or not, but Will was actually the biggest threat not counting Lance, and it's all because his Xatus hit like trucks with Psychic. Jynx stood no chance against a clean Cross Chop, and the rest of the team was rather forgettable, but those Xatus.

Koga was annoying as always, but Bruno...my lord, I feel sorry for him. Half his team alone got sent to hell by The Rock's Cross Chop, then Jaws drowned a paralyzed Machamp (Thanks to Lance) and sent Onix packing. Need I say more on Karen other than she got the finest of wrecking on her soul.

Lance came down more to paralyze Gyarados with The Rock's Thunderpunches, Aerodactyl took a combination of The Rock and Teddy, and I learned that Teddy could eat a Hyper Beam from a Dragonite. They all caught the Ice Punch work from Teddie, but killing the last one required a bit of heal spamming/abusing Revives to win. Call it cheap, but it works.

Team Zero

5d50714c5a014112abce9dda9710e305.png

Mmm, look at that extremely high play time because speedup button abuse.

158.png

Jaws (Totodile) ♂ Lv. 46 @ Nothing
Moves: Ice Punch, Slash, Bite, Surf

066.png

The Rock (Machop) ♂ Lv. 46 @ Quick Claw
Moves: Fire Punch, Thunderpunch, Strength, Cross Chop

133.png

Origins (Eevee) ♀ Lv. 45 @ Nothing
Moves: Bite, Shadow Ball, Mud-Slap, Swift

216.png

Teddy (Teddiursa) ♀ Lv. 47 @ Pink Bow
Moves: Slash, Faint Attack, Ice Punch, Strength

147.png

Lance (Dratini) ♂ Lv. 45 @ Nothing
Moves: Dragon Rage, Slam, Thunder Wave, Surf

Next is the hard part. Blue and his marry band of weak gym leaders, then Red.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 3, 2024
Welp, Johto is done. Let me just say, I considered using Teddiursa...and didn't regert it. It put in nothing but power once I raised her up during my massive pre Elite Four grinding in Victory Road where I got everyone up to Lv. 45 by passing around the Everstone since everyone barring Origins had a reliable way to kill almost everything in Victory Road (except maybe the ultra annoying Confuse Ray Golbats. I hate those things.) But anyway, believe it or not, but Will was actually the biggest threat not counting Lance, and it's all because his Xatus hit like trucks with Psychic. Jynx stood no chance against a clean Cross Chop, and the rest of the team was rather forgettable, but those Xatus.

Koga was annoying as always, but Bruno...my lord, I feel sorry for him. Half his team alone got sent to hell by The Rock's Cross Chop, then Jaws drowned a paralyzed Machamp (Thanks to Lance) and sent Onix packing. Need I say more on Karen other than she got the finest of wrecking on her soul.

Lance came down more to paralyze Gyarados with The Rock's Thunderpunches, Aerodactyl took a combination of The Rock and Teddy, and I learned that Teddy could eat a Hyper Beam from a Dragonite. They all caught the Ice Punch work from Teddie, but killing the last one required a bit of heal spamming/abusing Revives to win. Call it cheap, but it works.

Team Zero

5d50714c5a014112abce9dda9710e305.png

Mmm, look at that extremely high play time because speedup button abuse.

158.png

Jaws (Totodile) ♂ Lv. 46 @ Nothing

066.png

The Rock (Machop) ♂ Lv. 46 @ Quick Claw

133.png

Origins (Eevee) ♀ Lv. 45 @ Nothing

216.png

Teddy (Teddiursa) ♀ Lv. 47 @ Pink Bow
Moves: Slash, Faint Attack, Ice Punch, Strength

147.png

Lance (Dratini) ♂ Lv. 45 @ Nothing
Moves: Dragon Rage, Slam, Thunder Wave, Surf

Next is the hard part. Blue and his marry band of weak gym leaders, then Red.

Ahhh the Victory Road, nice training spot even though I hate those Golbat too, I've never had any luck with the whole Confuse Ray thing, everytime my Pokemon hurt themselves x( Anyway I'm happy you choose Dratini too, such a great pokemon really, he proved useful (at least to me) in a lot of situations (especially against Red). I had to say he's name was a little confusing when I red your report, talking about the Champion and the Pokemon itself xD So, that's make one Water type, one Fighting type, two Normal type and one Dragon type, seems you manage to finish Johto but it must have been hard for some parts havent you ? For exemple, I struggled against Psychic type because of my team lacking of Bug, Dark and Ghost type.
    Yeah, talking about hard parts, I assume your lack of Fire type made Koga harder that he really is, same for Will and his Xatus, there aren't much Ice and Electric type that could be reliable in gen II, at least in my opinion.
    Now for the time played, I would have the same, but I somehow prefer editing my play time by editor to look more close to real game time, (btw that's the only way I could explain gender swap by the way, I gave everstone to everyone because I hate pressing B while keeping the speed button).

I found Kanto pretty easy, except Red, none of them was a threat, but anyway good luck ;) I'll update the main post with your final team rather that you actual one in case you would change your mind in the future for a possible change.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Red can go burn. I finally did it. Grinding and heal stalling saved me once again. Funny story, actually. I grinded my whole team up to Lv. 60 after being swept by Red's Espeon around 7 or so times, and then when I was done, I went to go watch a livestream and fell asleep in my chair. When I woke up several hours later, it turns out I accidentally turned off my computer while I was asleep. You can probably guess the one thing I didn't do. Yup, I didn't save. All I had was one save state when Lance wanted to learn Hyper Beam, so after a salty break from the game, I had to do all my grinding over again.

Other than that, while grinding the first time, this happened.

0324fa9c7ccc4998bf1a4f4dc0739539.png

Yup, Pokerus out of nowhere. Anyway, let's move onto the meat of this post.

Team Zero (Final)

fd219c063b0742479ab88c0172fb6b66.png

158.png

Jaws (Totodile) ♂ Lv. 60 @ Focus Band

066.png

The Rock (Machop) ♂ Lv. 60 @ Quick Claw

133.png

Origins (Eevee) ♀ Lv. 60 @ Amulet Coin

216.png

Teddy (Teddiursa) ♀ Lv. 60 @ Pink Bow
Moves: Slash, Earthquake, Ice Punch, Strength

147.png

Lance (Dratini) ♂ Lv. 60 @ Nothing
Moves: Outrage, Icy Wind, Hyper Beam, Surf

Poor, poor Origins. Outside of lowering the deadly Espeon's accuracy, she mostly served as death fodder during the encounter with Red. I had to stall out the Venusaur's moves with Lance, stall out Flamethrower on Charizard while I healed, and Blastoise got stalled by Jaws while I slowly took it's health out. Snorlax caught those clean Cross Chops and Pikachu got EQ'd to death. Made sure to get Red to waste all his Full Restores on his Pikachu, so that's a positive. Overall, though, it was mostly the Teddy and Jaws Show through most of Kanto. To be honest, I'd love to say that Jaws is the MVP...but I'd be lying. Teddy put the team on her back during the Elite Four, and while Jaws and the others also put in work, Teddy did a bit more. So, for Gold, Teddy the Teddiursa is our MVP this time around.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, it is time for IGN's favorite review meme regarding Pokemon games, also known as 7.8/10 because too much water. For the non memers like me, the Hoenn region.

Version: I'll more than likely do Sapphire because speedup button, but I might just do Omega Ruby to have an excuse to play it again. I'd put down Sapphire for now.Doing Omega Ruby. Updates will be slower because no speedup button.
Pokemon of choice: Mudkip. I don't think we need to know how I do my plans this time, because it's the same as before. Let's do a little change of pace. I'll use Treecko this time. I mostly use the Water starter, so this should be interesting.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 3, 2024
Red can go burn. I finally did it. Grinding and heal stalling saved me once again. Funny story, actually. I grinded my whole team up to Lv. 60 after being swept by Red's Espeon around 7 or so times, and then when I was done, I went to go watch a livestream and fell asleep in my chair. When I woke up several hours later, it turns out I accidentally turned off my computer while I was asleep. You can probably guess the one thing I didn't do. Yup, I didn't save. All I had was one save state when Lance wanted to learn Hyper Beam, so after a salty break from the game, I had to do all my grinding over again.

Other than that, while grinding the first time, this happened.

0324fa9c7ccc4998bf1a4f4dc0739539.png

Yup, Pokerus out of nowhere. Anyway, let's move onto the meat of this post.

Team Zero (Final)

fd219c063b0742479ab88c0172fb6b66.png

158.png

Jaws (Totodile) ♂ Lv. 60 @ Focus Band

066.png

The Rock (Machop) ♂ Lv. 60 @ Quick Claw

133.png

Origins (Eevee) ♀ Lv. 60 @ Amulet Coin

216.png

Teddy (Teddiursa) ♀ Lv. 60 @ Pink Bow
Moves: Slash, Earthquake, Ice Punch, Strength

147.png

Lance (Dratini) ♂ Lv. 60 @ Nothing
Moves: Outrage, Icy Wind, Hyper Beam, Surf

Poor, poor Origins. Outside of lowering the deadly Espeon's accuracy, she mostly served as death fodder during the encounter with Red. I had to stall out the Venusaur's moves with Lance, stall out Flamethrower on Charizard while I healed, and Blastoise got stalled by Jaws while I slowly took it's health out. Snorlax caught those clean Cross Chops and Pikachu got EQ'd to death. Made sure to get Red to waste all his Full Restores on his Pikachu, so that's a positive. Overall, though, it was mostly the Teddy and Jaws Show through most of Kanto. To be honest, I'd love to say that Jaws is the MVP...but I'd be lying. Teddy put the team on her back during the Elite Four, and while Jaws and the others also put in work, Teddy did a bit more. So, for Gold, Teddy the Teddiursa is our MVP this time around.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, it is time for IGN's favorite review meme regarding Pokemon games, also known as 7.8/10 because too much water. For the non memers like me, the Hoenn region.

Version: I'll more than likely do Sapphire because speedup button, but I might just do Omega Ruby to have an excuse to play it again. I'd put down Sapphire for now.Doing Omega Ruby. Updates will be slower because no speedup button.
Pokemon of choice: Mudkip. I don't think we need to know how I do my plans this time, because it's the same as before. Let's do a little change of pace. I'll use Treecko this time. I mostly use the Water starter, so this should be interesting.

Wow... I don't know what to say, you have such a great faith to redo Kanto after losing your progress once, The whole story was funny and kinda sad at the same time, like you I would have take a break from the game, losing progress is one of the most frustrating things ever, even more after so much time taken in order to grind. And I can imagine how much you must have enraged against yourself for not saving x(
    The pokerus, one thing I've never had in my entire life without cheating, so much rare o_O I should say you're lucky but since you've lost it all in one move, I won't x)
    I'm going to update your team and victory on the first post, you deserve it so well, really congratulations. As of Red, his Espeon is a real pain, this is the most difficult Pokemon I had to took down during my playthrough, a dark type would have be usefull (Hi Houdour) but I didn't wanted to replace Fire, my Cyndaquil :)
    For Origins, your Eevee, it was obvious that she would be somehow a dead weight due to a bad movepool and stats, but you did well use of her, lowering accuracy prove useful with a bit of luck. And year, stalling is a good strategy against powerful opponent, and Red's starter trio is deadly at low level and without appropriate typing (like a rock type for Charizard even though you've got a water type), finally, thanks for playing :)

Aaah, besides Sinnoh, the Hoenn region is my favorite, and the whole RSE saga is the one I played/enjoyed the most :) "Too much water" huh ? This review is definitely the best x)

And again, thanks a lot for signing up, talking about MVP, you're the real one of this thread really x) But as I don't want to let you do all the work alone, I'll sign up too :

Version: Ruby Revev (by AtecainCorp. and all people who contribute, same story but extended to Johto) because you play Sapphire (well Alpha Sapphire but I don't have Omega Ruby and I just love the speed button too much), I've never played it up to now so it's the ideal moment to do so.
Pokemon of choice: I'll stick to Mudkip personnally because I hate Torchic and Treecko... well, I don't like it much, and so his final form Sceptile, I do enjoy Grovyle though but since no evolutions are permitted, I'll stick to Mudkip.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
So remember before when I said updates would be slower because of a lack of a speedup button? Yeah, it's kinda happening right now. That and trying to get videos uploaded before the end of 2016, finishing SMT IV: Apocalypse, and thinking about what to get people in my family for Christmas, I haven't played too much. Then again, I'm also abusing DexNav to get Lucky Eggs for my squad to make leveling them up faster, since I'm dealing with megas in lategame. I want every edge I can get that doesn't involve using broken methods like Pokemon Amie.

Team Ruby (Using a female character...and ye.)

252.gif

Geico (Treecko) ? Lv. 34 @ Lucky Egg/Miracle Seed
Nature: Hardy
Ability: Overgrow
Moves: Cut, Rock Smash, Giga Drain, Quick Attack

278.gif

Scarfed God (Wingull) ? Lv. 33 @ Lucky Egg/Focus Band (Got from DexNaving Machop)
Nature: Hasty
Ability: Keen Eye
Moves: Roost, Water Pulse, Supersonic, Air Cutter

066.gif

Undertaker (Machop) ? Lv. 33 @ Lucky Egg
Nature: Naughty
Ability: Guts
Moves: Bullet Punch, Wake-Up Slap, Thief, Vital Throw

322.gif

My Humps (Numel) ? Lv. 33 @ Lucky Egg/Charcoal
Nature: Bold
Ability: Oblivious
Moves: Ancient Power, Amnesia, Lava Plume, Earth Power

Undertaker and My Humps were both caught at higher levels than the normal brand with BP and Ancient Power via DexNav, and Scarfed God was caught with Twister. I replaced Twister with Roost because I'm eventually teaching it Ice Beam when I get it after getting access to Dive. And for once, we have an all male squad. 5 badges so far and heading towards Fortree City. I don't think I'll be updating again until the main story is done, and then I'll consider the "Get Wrecked by Mega Salamence" show, also known as the Delta Episode to the common folk.

Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
I am sincerely sorry, but I think I will quit this challenge. I do want to play Pokemon more freely. And, I am going to my friend later and we will maybe do a co-op together. It was fun, though.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 3, 2024
So remember before when I said updates would be slower because of a lack of a speedup button? Yeah, it's kinda happening right now. That and trying to get videos uploaded before the end of 2016, finishing SMT IV: Apocalypse, and thinking about what to get people in my family for Christmas, I haven't played too much. Then again, I'm also abusing DexNav to get Lucky Eggs for my squad to make leveling them up faster, since I'm dealing with megas in lategame. I want every edge I can get that doesn't involve using broken methods like Pokemon Amie.

Team Ruby (Using a female character...and ye.)

252.gif

Geico (Treecko) ♂ Lv. 34 @ Lucky Egg/Miracle Seed
Moves: Cut, Rock Smash, Giga Drain, Quick Attack

278.gif

Scarfed God (Wingull) ♂ Lv. 33 @ Lucky Egg/Focus Band (Got from DexNaving Machop)
Moves: Roost, Water Pulse, Supersonic, Air Cutter

066.gif

Undertaker (Machop) ♂ Lv. 33 @ Lucky Egg
Moves: Bullet Punch, Wake-Up Slap, Thief, Vital Throw

322.gif

My Humps (Numel) ♂ Lv. 33 @ Lucky Egg/Charcoal
Moves: Ancient Power, Amnesia, Lava Plume, Earth Power

Undertaker and My Humps were both caught at higher levels than the normal brand with BP and Ancient Power via DexNav, and Scarfed God was caught with Twister. I replaced Twister with Roost because I'm eventually teaching it Ice Beam when I get it after getting access to Dive. And for once, we have an all male squad. 5 badges so far and heading towards Fortree City. I don't think I'll be updating again until the main story is done, and then I'll consider the "Get Wrecked by Mega Salamence" show, also known as the Delta Episode to the common folk.

First of all, feel free to play whatever you want, after all this is supposed to be fun, not a boring task so really no problem with a lack of updates :) That's quite a lot of "to do" things though x) I hope the lack of speed button isn't that harsh because personnaly I just can't play without it anymore :(
    You've seemed to come up with a good strategy in mind, that's a good thing, I didn't played ORAS games but I know from XY than Megas can really turn into a pain to fight. Pokemon Amie is not that broken though, after all it's little cup so it's kind of a rebalance of difficulty :)

Female player but team ruby, yeah whynaut xD You seems to wait for one late game pokemon since you don't take six but have only a team of four instead of five. You have a nice team balance for the moment, more than that, a Fire Water Grass core :) Hope you'll be able to finish it without much troubles

I am sincerely sorry, but I think I will quit this challenge. I do want to play Pokemon more freely. And, I am going to my friend later and we will maybe do a co-op together. It was fun, though.

No need to be sorry, I can perfectly understand and no one force you to do something you don't want to do anymore, feel free to do whatever you want to ;) I've marked your challenge as "Cancelled", there's really no problem ;) Good luck for your possible co-op :)

Update ; Game Finished

The first thing I did was to EV train my Mudkip to keep it strong until beating the first gym. Until that moment, everything went smooth, easy as possible. Then I caught a Whismur because I like this one. Same here, EV train then headed to Dewford Town, following the plot (I caught an Abra in the cave) and defeating the gym with some levels above the leader's pokemon. Now, with two badges, I came to Slateport and rushed story until Mauville City. With some training, I managed to beat Watson, it was really hard since I've got only my Whismur and my Mudkip, but I did it :)

Apart from catching a Gligar near Fallarbor Town (I'm not supposed to have one but since Gliscor is available in this hack version, no problem), nothing in particular happened until I get my Fourth Badge, Team Magma and Flannery weren't any difficult thanks to Mudkip. Near Lavaridge town I entered the Starters Garden (Exclusive to Ruby Renev) where I caught both a Charmander and a Bulbasaur. At this point, my team was completed :)

I did a lot of training and EV training for all my team, long time after, I came back to Petalburg City to get my Fifth badge from Norman (Defeating him with ease with my powered up team). The plot went far, to Fortree City where I get my sixth badge from Winona (thanks to Ice Beam bought at Mauville City's game corner and teached to Mudkip).

Nothing interesting until I got the seventh badge at Mosdeep City, with some well placed Surf on Champions's Solrock and Lunatone. I managed to beat Team Magma all along with water and ice combinaison and headed to Sootopolis City to stop Groudon (with a simple Master Ball, yeah you can buy them in this hack) and beat the last gym. Bulbasaur was the MVP here, and destroy nearly everything with Giga Drain (needed to get back to the Pokemon Center quite a lot because of PP). On top of that, I fought all trainers because of my errors (walking on ice and fail to get all of them since I'm used to Emerald's version of the gym).

And finally, I traveled to Ever Grande City where I get though Victory Road (defeating Wally at the same time) and take on the Elite Four. My team's level scale was between level 55-60 so all fights were tough and I had to use a lot of full restores/revives to keep up. Glacia was easier because of my Dragon Dancer Charmander who swept all her team with boosted fire moves. Drake was difficult more than others because of his Mega Salamence who destroyed most of my team... but I struggled with Ice beam and eventually beat him.

The last step, Steven, he was easy, more than I thought (I'm used to fight Wallace because of Emerald) so my Charmander placed up to six Dragon Dance (thanks to some full restores) and swept four members of his team with Fire Punch. But unfortunately, he was beaten by Armaldo's rock moves, so Gligar cames, damaged him but fail to KO his opponent. Abra cames on and finish it with Psychic, then used Reflect and Light Screen on Cradily to reduce damage, then placed a Psychic before he fainted. And then, the hero Whismur finally entered the scene, and finished Cradily with Hyper Voice, which led me to victory.

Spoiler:

Now the team :

258.png

MIZU (Mudkip) Lv. 59 @ Mystic Water
Moves: Waterfall, Ice Beam, Return, Surf

293.png

SOUND (Whismur) Lv. 59 @ Everstone
Moves: Hyper Voice, Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Shadow Ball

063.png

DREAM (Abra) Lv. 57 @ Twisted spoon
Moves: Psychic, Calm Mind, Relfect, Light Screen

207-m.png

SCYTHE (Gligar) Lv. 58 @ Nothing
Moves: Fly, Aerial Ace, Steel Wings, Earthquake

004.png

FIRE (Charmander) Lv. 59 @ Charcoal
Moves: Dragon Dance, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Brick Break

001.png

SEED (Bulbasaur) Lv. 58 @ Miracle Seed
Moves: Giga Drain, Synthesis, Sleep Powder, Sludge Bomb​

AtecainCorp.

Rejishan awake...
Years
    First of all, feel free to play whatever you want, after all this is supposed to be fun, not a boring task so really no problem with a lack of updates :) That's quite a lot of "to do" things though x) I hope the lack of speed button isn't that harsh because personnaly I just can't play without it anymore :(
    You've seemed to come up with a good strategy in mind, that's a good thing, I didn't played ORAS games but I know from XY than Megas can really turn into a pain to fight. Pokemon Amie is not that broken though, after all it's little cup so it's kind of a rebalance of difficulty :)

Female player but team ruby, yeah whynaut xD You seems to wait for one late game pokemon since you don't take six but have only a team of four instead of five. You have a nice team balance for the moment, more than that, a Fire Water Grass core :) Hope you'll be able to finish it without much troubles

No need to be sorry, I can perfectly understand and no one force you to do something you don't want to do anymore, feel free to do whatever you want to ;) I've marked your challenge as "Cancelled", there's really no problem ;) Good luck for your possible co-op :)

Update ; Game Finished

The first thing I did was to EV train my Mudkip to keep it strong until beating the first gym. Until that moment, everything went smooth, easy as possible. Then I caught a Whismur because I like this one. Same here, EV train then headed to Dewford Town, following the plot (I caught an Abra in the cave) and defeating the gym with some levels above the leader's pokemon. Now, with two badges, I came to Slateport and rushed story until Mauville City. With some training, I managed to beat Watson, it was really hard since I've got only my Whismur and my Mudkip, but I did it :)

Apart from catching a Gligar near Fallarbor Town (I'm not supposed to have one but since Gliscor is available in this hack version, no problem), nothing in particular happened until I get my Fourth Badge, Team Magma and Flannery weren't any difficult thanks to Mudkip. Near Lavaridge town I entered the Starters Garden (Exclusive to Ruby Renev) where I caught both a Charmander and a Bulbasaur. At this point, my team was completed :)

I did a lot of training and EV training for all my team, long time after, I came back to Petalburg City to get my Fifth badge from Norman (Defeating him with ease with my powered up team). The plot went far, to Fortree City where I get my sixth badge from Winona (thanks to Ice Beam bought at Mauville City's game corner and teached to Mudkip).

Nothing interesting until I got the seventh badge at Mosdeep City, with some well placed Surf on Champions's Solrock and Lunatone. I managed to beat Team Magma all along with water and ice combinaison and headed to Sootopolis City to stop Groudon (with a simple Master Ball, yeah you can buy them in this hack) and beat the last gym. Bulbasaur was the MVP here, and destroy nearly everything with Giga Drain (needed to get back to the Pokemon Center quite a lot because of PP). On top of that, I fought all trainers because of my errors (walking on ice and fail to get all of them since I'm used to Emerald's version of the gym).

And finally, I traveled to Ever Grande City where I get though Victory Road (defeating Wally at the same time) and take on the Elite Four. My team's level scale was between level 55-60 so all fights were tough and I had to use a lot of full restores/revives to keep up. Glacia was easier because of my Dragon Dancer Charmander who swept all her team with boosted fire moves. Drake was difficult more than others because of his Mega Salamence who destroyed most of my team... but I struggled with Ice beam and eventually beat him.

The last step, Steven, he was easy, more than I thought (I'm used to fight Wallace because of Emerald) so my Charmander placed up to six Dragon Dance (thanks to some full restores) and swept four members of his team with Fire Punch. But unfortunately, he was beaten by Armaldo's rock moves, so Gligar cames, damaged him but fail to KO his opponent. Abra cames on and finish it with Psychic, then used Reflect and Light Screen on Cradily to reduce damage, then placed a Psychic before he fainted. And then, the hero Whismur finally entered the scene, and finished Cradily with Hyper Voice, which led me to victory.

Spoiler:

Now the team :

258.png

MIZU (Mudkip) Lv. 59 @ Mystic Water
Moves: Waterfall, Ice Beam, Return, Surf

293.png

SOUND (Whismur) Lv. 59 @ Everstone
Moves: Hyper Voice, Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, Shadow Ball

063.png

DREAM (Abra) Lv. 57 @ Twisted spoon
Moves: Psychic, Calm Mind, Relfect, Light Screen

207-m.png

SCYTHE (Gligar) Lv. 58 @ Nothing
Moves: Fly, Aerial Ace, Steel Wings, Earthquake

004.png

FIRE (Charmander) Lv. 59 @ Charcoal
Moves: Dragon Dance, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch, Brick Break

001.png

SEED (Bulbasaur) Lv. 58 @ Miracle Seed
Moves: Giga Drain, Synthesis, Sleep Powder, Sludge Bomb​

Wow... Simple COngratulations... I'm proud that you make challenge using my hack...

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
Through the sheer power of RNG, luck, heal spamming to oblivion, and finding out that Seven's Mega Metagross has Giga Impact, I finally finished Omega Ruby. Let me just say, Drake was triggering me for a while, and I only won because Focus Band actually popped when I needed it. I'd rather not talk about the 10+ Steven attempts because of Cradily walling my team, because that thing alone was tilting me. But, the run is complete at last. It sure took a while, but we did it, boys!

Team Ruby (Final)

252.gif
treecko.png

Geico (Treecko) Lv. 52 @ King's Rock
Moves: Giga Drain, Energy Ball, Brick Break, Endeavor
Nothing too special to say about him.

278.gif
wingull.png

Scarfed God (Wingull) Lv. 55 @ Focus Band
Moves: Ice Beam, Scald, Hurricane, Air Slash
This man and My Humps are probably the dual MVPs here. To be honest, I didn't have high hopes for Scarfed God, and there were times when he was struggling to keep up with the rest of the team, but when Elite Four came around (specifcally Drake and Steven), Scarfed God came in handy because of Focus Band. Unfortunately, I'm on the side of the spectrum that never gets Scald burns, so rip. Also note that Scarfed God got the finishing blow on Mega Metagross.

machop.png

Undertaker (Machop) Lv. 51 @ Quick Claw
Moves: Bullet Punch, Brick Break, Strength, Cross Chop
LVP, end of story.

322.gif
numel.png

My Humps (Numel) Lv. 55 @ Charcoal
Moves: Ancient Power, Earthquake, Flamethrower, Earth Power
Dual MVP right here, and the mon who got blown to pieces by two Giga Impacts. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have known Mega Metagross had Giga Impact.

Years
question, I want to do the ultimate version, all 7 games, but I a. Don't have pearl so can I do that last, and b. don't want the same team over and over again, can I basically build my team on the go?

Back