• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

So the next gen on nintendo switch?

Years
Are we going to get the next gen of games on the Nintendo switch? what's your take on this?
personally, i dont feel like i'm gonna spend money once again on a console but idk.

Years
I probably won't buy the Switch tbh, but I expect we'll see the main series of Pokemon on the Switch and the 3DS, with perhaps improved versions of the games on the Switch, with some different and new features, which could be pretty cool.

yrmrku

Yer-Mur-Ku
Years
  • Age 28
  • US
  • Seen Feb 8, 2017
I hope so. The 3DS hardware is showing its age with Sun and Moon. I'd like to see what they could do with an upgrade.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
I hope so. The 3DS hardware is showing its age with Sun and Moon. I'd like to see what they could do with an upgrade.

Is it though? These games look gorgeous, and I didn't think things could get any better than X/Y.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
Is it though? These games look gorgeous, and I didn't think things could get any better than X/Y.

The games do lag a bit and relative to other games, Pokemon doesnt exactly have modern graphics. Its not a bash, but I think audiences are expecting better graphics. Personally, I could care less as long as Im playing pokemon and the storyline is great.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Well yes, there are some lag issues. Do those lag issues persist on the New 3DS?

yrmrku

Yer-Mur-Ku
Years
  • Age 28
  • US
  • Seen Feb 8, 2017
Well yes, there are some lag issues. Do those lag issues persist on the New 3DS?

Some are saying they do some are saying they don't. But as BadSheep said, the Pokemon Games graphics are not anywhere near what they could be with good hardware. And honestly, if future games are only going to run acceptably on the N3DS they might as well just update to the Switch.

blue

gucci
Years
Pretty sure that will be the case going by past gens. Gen V remained on the DS whilst the 3DS had been out for about a year, in fact we didn't get Pokémon on the 3DS until 2 years after its initial release. This current gen I'm almost certain will remain on the 3DS, but next gen will most probably move over to the Switch.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
To be honest I much prefer the 3ds, it's small and fits easily in my pocket. The switch looks big and clunky. Definitely not transportable for me.

I mean I still have a lot of shiny hunting left to do in Gen 6 so the Switch could just be something I use at home.

Maybe I'd buy it if the next games were open world games similar to the new Mario game. But to be honest I hope the next games are not exclusive to it as I really don't want to buy it. In fact if the next games are similar to Sun and Moon and exclusive to Switch I probably won't buy them.

redjj1

Old School
Years
Growing up, all I ever wanted was to play an main series open world 3D Pokémon game on my tv... I hope it happens.

But I do also enjoy playing on my 2ds. The best outcome would be If the first 2 games were on ds and the 3rd version on switch...

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Its looking like it, as the Pokemon games need a more powerful enguine these days. The 3DS is probably not going to handle future, more complex gameplay for Pokemon.

Personally I also hope they'll consider making more spinoffs for the Switch now too. I think it has good potential, and I hope they'll use it for the fullest.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
So much potential for the series on the Switch. I'm really excited to see what Gamefreak does if the next generation of games do make a move to the Switch. That being said, a Pokemon game is already in development for thing in any case.

smocks

fiat lux
Years
I don't think the next generation of Pokémon will be on the switch. Pokémon is known to be that hand-held game that could fit in your pocket and you can take anywhere and everywhere. Yes, you could take the Switch anywhere & everywhere but Nintendo has no reason to get rid of the 3DS + Switch doesn't really cater to its portable design and caters more to its home-gaming/stationary console design. But I'm sure the Switch will have a Pokémon themed game with it, but just not anything relating to the main series games (like how Wii U had Pokkén)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 12, 2018
Its looking like it, as the Pokemon games need a more powerful enguine these days. The 3DS is probably not going to handle future, more complex gameplay for Pokemon.

Personally I also hope they'll consider making more spinoffs for the Switch now too. I think it has good potential, and I hope they'll use it for the fullest.

dont think so it needs a powerful engine why even? GC made Pokemon colloseum and Gale of Darknes XD how well it turned out for them *cough* not very much *cough* but it didnt add verry much to the gameplay you were verry limited by the game getting only the pokemons in the story or others if you possibly had a gba with a link cable yet the game had awesome graphics yet sadly no wild battles

maybe they will do something like a battle revolution 2 for it what i hope its the case
im not really hyped to spend 300€ for switch since i recently upgraded to New 3ds Xl

im looking more forward that they make it for the New Nintendo 3DS since it has the same powerful engine like the Wii they need to start making some games for it and i hope that will be a begining for it, Xenoblade 3D is just gorgeous without any lag experiencing (except if there are to many enemies on the field)

and since pokemon was mostly and i qoute mostly for the handleheld a major sucess i dont think they will sink the ship with a only a switch release
or they will add a normal handleheld with it

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 12, 2018
It should be noted that double battles lagged every now and again on even the 3DS XL in Pokemon Sun and Moon. I can only imagine how bad the next generation would be in terms of lag and graphical power which is why I hope for a Switch release of Pokemon eventually. :s

now i feel like picking on people (but its just an opinion and how i think it is ^^ )

well i dedicated 140+ hrs to sun and moon and the most dissapointing thing that is in there that it has no 3D support at all...
they didnt even try to make it support the new 3ds (again my oppinion) didnt try the ORAS tho, it was ment to run on both systems so they have to sacrifise some quality so people wouldnt need to buy the new system just for 2 games again.

New 3DS wont make the game run smoother if the game is coded diferently, a few games sure run smoothly (i tried a few only LoZ: Majora's Mask and OoT etc) games runned better because of better fps and fps drops.

well if you own a new 3ds you should check games online which run better and try them not to mention xenoblade
if the next poke gen should be exclusive to new 3ds they can bring out quite the potential of it...

Well hoping and praying to the nintendo gods that they will not make it exclusive to switch only :)

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
Will only buy my Switch when Pokemon officially switch over; For now I am happy with my old 3DS XL.

Years
Pinkie-Dawn pointed out to me that the Switch seems like a Wii U replacement and not a 3DS replacement, so I guess for the next generation main series Pokemon games we'll just be getting a new type of 3DS instead.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Pinkie-Dawn pointed out to me that the Switch seems like a Wii U replacement and not a 3DS replacement, so I guess for the next generation main series Pokemon games we'll just be getting a new type of 3DS instead.
I think this is likely as well. Still hoping for some fun Pokémon spinoffs on the switch though! One of those might actually convince me to buy it haha.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 42
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 9, 2021
Well I guess we'll have to wait and see what Pokemon Stars turns out like (if its just an HD quality version of sun/moon as it sounds then meh), as for future id still rather Nintendo moved into the Smartphone market for its mainstream games as having a separate device is still an annoyance and most modern phone could easily handle the game as well as or better than a 3DS.

Smartphone pokemon with bank support would be an amazing move in my opinion as you could literally then play anywhere as most people always have their phone.

Back