Tools, Tutorials & Resources Various tools to help you develop your hacks can be found here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #76    
Old October 12th, 2016 (8:00 AM).
FantsEPants's Avatar
FantsEPants FantsEPants is offline
     
    Join Date: Oct 2016
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 1

    Looking forward to more from you. Your series made getting into this incredibly approachable. If I ever release a hack, you'll be the first line on the credits, that's fore sure.

    Reply With Quote

    Relevant Advertising!

      #77    
    Old October 12th, 2016 (2:04 PM).
    Anthroyd's Avatar
    Anthroyd Anthroyd is offline
       
      Join Date: May 2016
      Location: United States
      Age: 19
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 120

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by FantsEPants View Post
      Looking forward to more from you. Your series made getting into this incredibly approachable. If I ever release a hack, you'll be the first line on the credits, that's fore sure.

      Thanks for your words. Always appreciated.

      I'm updating this thread to alert that the twenty-third tutorial has been completed and released!

      __________________

      Pokémon Generation III ROM Hacking

      Video Series

      Reply With Quote
        #78    
      Old December 1st, 2016 (12:55 PM).
      FSBS's Avatar
      FSBS FSBS is offline
      Defunct
         
        Join Date: May 2015
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 150

        Excellent videos. I really wish these had been out when I first tried mapping; you were dead-on when you said we've all made some embarrassing maps. I can't even go back a year before finding ridiculously awful maps, ones I personally thought were great. Back to the drawing board every time.
        Anyways, you said earlier in this thread you don't recommend adding maps to A-Map; instead, overwriting old maps. Why is that? Could you elaborate?

        Reply With Quote
          #79    
        Old December 1st, 2016 (2:36 PM).
        Anthroyd's Avatar
        Anthroyd Anthroyd is offline
           
          Join Date: May 2016
          Location: United States
          Age: 19
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 120

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by FSBS View Post
          Excellent videos. I really wish these had been out when I first tried mapping; you were dead-on when you said we've all made some embarrassing maps. I can't even go back a year before finding ridiculously awful maps, ones I personally thought were great. Back to the drawing board every time.
          Anyways, you said earlier in this thread you don't recommend adding maps to A-Map; instead, overwriting old maps. Why is that? Could you elaborate?

          Adding new map banks / entries into AdvancedMap will result in glitches due to repointing errors, in my experience. You won't find a single ROM hack that has additional maps along with the original maps. Every gen III ROM hack is made the same way; over wright the original maps' tiles, drag all of the old events somewhere where the player can't reach them in game, change all old person event movement types to "Hidden," then start anew.

          I regret not discussing this process in my first few videos. It would have saved me some time but meh. :/
          Thanks for your praise! :)

          __________________

          Pokémon Generation III ROM Hacking

          Video Series

          Reply With Quote
            #80    
          Old December 1st, 2016 (3:10 PM).
          FSBS's Avatar
          FSBS FSBS is offline
          Defunct
             
            Join Date: May 2015
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 150

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Anthroyd View Post
            Adding new map banks / entries into AdvancedMap will result in glitches due to repointing errors, in my experience. You won't find a single ROM hack that has additional maps along with the original maps. Every gen III ROM hack is made the same way; over wright the original maps' tiles, drag all of the old events somewhere where the player can't reach them in game, change all old person event movement types to "Hidden," then start anew.

            I regret not discussing this process in my first few videos. It would have saved me some time but meh. :/
            Thanks for your praise!

            I find it hard to believe, considering massive projects like Liquid Crystal, but what do I know? It's a valuable piece of information nonetheless, and something to consider as I continue learning how to map.

            Reply With Quote
              #81    
            Old December 2nd, 2016 (8:00 AM).
            Squeetz's Avatar
            Squeetz Squeetz is offline
            Music hacker
            • Gold Tier
             
            Join Date: Jun 2013
            Location: Norway
            Age: 20
            Gender: Male
            Nature: Quiet
            Posts: 229

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Anthroyd View Post
            Adding new map banks / entries into AdvancedMap will result in glitches due to repointing errors, in my experience.
            This isn't true at all. Advance map 1.92 repoints banks and map headers correctly. These errors you speak of most likely stem from using 1.95 (which never left its beta stage and is buggy) and the hacker's own inexperience.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Anthroyd View Post
            You won't find a single ROM hack that has additional maps along with the original maps. Every gen III ROM hack is made the same way; over wright the original maps' tiles, drag all of the old events somewhere where the player can't reach them in game, change all old person event movement types to "Hidden," then start anew.
            Not all hacks.
            JPAN's engine patch removes every single event (except warps) on all maps, giving you a blank canvas to work with, so any hack that uses this patch does not follow this arduous task you speak of.
            As for new maps, see my previous point. They can be added correctly with 1.92 or manual hex repointing. I'm sure a lot of hacks have additional maps added. Sometimes you just need more indoor maps. (In my case)

            __________________

            Reply With Quote
              #82    
            Old December 3rd, 2016 (10:04 AM).
            Sam1994's Avatar
            Sam1994 Sam1994 is offline
            Sam
               
              Join Date: Oct 2016
              Location: Kolkata,West Bengal, India
              Age: 22
              Gender: Male
              Nature: Brave
              Posts: 94

              Very nice tutorials.. Needed something like this since a long time..Thanks a lot!

              __________________

              Reply With Quote
                #83    
              Old January 11th, 2017 (1:37 PM).
              Anthroyd's Avatar
              Anthroyd Anthroyd is offline
                 
                Join Date: May 2016
                Location: United States
                Age: 19
                Gender: Male
                Posts: 120

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Sam1994
                Very nice tutorials.. Needed something like this since a long time..Thanks a lot!
                You're welcome!

                I'm updating this thread to alert that the first part of the twenty-fourth tutorial has been completed and released!

                __________________

                Pokémon Generation III ROM Hacking

                Video Series

                Reply With Quote
                  #84    
                Old January 14th, 2017 (3:38 AM).
                DizzyEgg's Avatar
                DizzyEgg DizzyEgg is offline
                   
                  Join Date: Feb 2014
                  Location: Poland
                  Age: 19
                  Gender: Male
                  Nature: Quiet
                  Posts: 705

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Anthroyd View Post
                  You're welcome!

                  I'm updating this thread to alert that the first part of the twenty-fourth tutorial has been completed and released!

                  Could you update the first post, so it just has links to your video instead of loading the video into the post? My PC and I'm sure many others' lags a lot when loading the OP. :D

                  __________________

                  Support Pokeruby!

                  My works:
                  Battle Engine Upgrade
                  Pokemon Expansion
                  Items/TMs/Tutors Expansion
                  Various Features(Evo Methods, BW Repel, Levels Above 100, Trainers with EV, Nature Colored Stats)

                  Emerald Features:
                  Form Changes (KDS)

                  Reply With Quote
                    #85    
                  Old January 14th, 2017 (10:23 AM).
                  Anthroyd's Avatar
                  Anthroyd Anthroyd is offline
                     
                    Join Date: May 2016
                    Location: United States
                    Age: 19
                    Gender: Male
                    Posts: 120

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by DizzyEgg View Post
                    Could you update the first post, so it just has links to your video instead of loading the video into the post? My PC and I'm sure many others' lags a lot when loading the OP. :D

                    Hmmmm m m mmmmmm mmmmm mm m m m...
                    My intention was for people to be able to watch the videos without having to open any new tabs or to be redirected somewhere else. I logged onto an older, slower computer sitting in my closet and loaded the page, but it loaded relatively quickly even without being cached.

                    Curiously, how slow is it for you to load this thread compared to some other lengthy thread?

                    __________________

                    Pokémon Generation III ROM Hacking

                    Video Series

                    Reply With Quote
                      #86    
                    Old January 14th, 2017 (12:56 PM).
                    Anthroyd's Avatar
                    Anthroyd Anthroyd is offline
                       
                      Join Date: May 2016
                      Location: United States
                      Age: 19
                      Gender: Male
                      Posts: 120

                      I'm updating this thread to alert that the second part of the twenty-fourth tutorial has been completed and released!

                      __________________

                      Pokémon Generation III ROM Hacking

                      Video Series

                      Reply With Quote
                        #87    
                      Old April 1st, 2017 (8:43 PM).
                      Anthroyd's Avatar
                      Anthroyd Anthroyd is offline
                         
                        Join Date: May 2016
                        Location: United States
                        Age: 19
                        Gender: Male
                        Posts: 120

                        I'm updating this thread to alert that the twenty-fifth tutorial has been completed and released!

                        __________________

                        Pokémon Generation III ROM Hacking

                        Video Series

                        Reply With Quote
                          #88    
                        Old April 12th, 2017 (7:19 AM).
                        Shib0 Shib0 is offline
                           
                          Join Date: Apr 2017
                          Posts: 1

                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Anthroyd View Post
                          I'm updating this thread to alert that the twenty-fifth tutorial has been completed and released!

                          Made an account here to thank you for your efforts on this series. I tried making a romhack in the past, but most of the resources I could find were either in Spanish or glossed over concepts I wasn't familiar with at the time (index your sprites). Only about a week into my hack and I feel very confident in my ability to finish it within a year, thanks to your tutorials. Hope you keep the series going.

                          Reply With Quote
                            #89    
                          Old April 23rd, 2017 (10:59 AM).
                          Grays0n Grays0n is offline
                             
                            Join Date: Jul 2013
                            Location: Cleveland, Ohio
                            Gender: Male
                            Nature: Calm
                            Posts: 12

                            A possible suggestion for you Anthroyd, if it hasn't been done already in one of your videos.
                            Even though the tutorial videos have been about making rom hacks, the sprites, cries, scripts, tiles, etc. Have you shown how to actually make the ips? Since it isn't allowed to upload the roms themselves.

                            Reply With Quote
                              #90    
                            Old April 23rd, 2017 (11:34 AM).
                            Anthroyd's Avatar
                            Anthroyd Anthroyd is offline
                               
                              Join Date: May 2016
                              Location: United States
                              Age: 19
                              Gender: Male
                              Posts: 120

                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Grays0n View Post
                              A possible suggestion for you Anthroyd, if it hasn't been done already in one of your videos.
                              Even though the tutorial videos have been about making rom hacks, the sprites, cries, scripts, tiles, etc. Have you shown how to actually make the ips? Since it isn't allowed to upload the roms themselves.

                              Patching is covered in tutorial 22 Hex Maniac.

                              __________________

                              Pokémon Generation III ROM Hacking

                              Video Series

                              Reply With Quote
                                #91    
                              Old April 24th, 2017 (4:02 AM).
                              ASDBUDDY's Avatar
                              ASDBUDDY ASDBUDDY is offline
                              ASDBUDDY
                                 
                                Join Date: Apr 2017
                                Location: aint gonna tell ya
                                Gender: Male
                                Nature: Docile
                                Posts: 108

                                Hi, anthoyd! thank you so much for this godlike perfect tutorials and for introducing me to ROM Hacking!
                                also i needed one help. I want to permanently lock my player and rival names. I found that it is only possible via ASM and i tried following one such tutorial and failed catastrophically ! If you could helpme in any way that would be great
                                P.S if this is explained in one of your videos sorry for not paying attention to that

                                __________________


                                Name: Razor
                                Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
                                Pokémon SCARLET BLAZE BETA V1.1 OUT NOW!
                                https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=392391
                                https://pldh.net/media/pokemon/gen6/xy-animated-shiny/258.gif

                                Reply With Quote
                                  #92    
                                Old April 25th, 2017 (12:20 AM).
                                LordExcalibur LordExcalibur is offline
                                   
                                  Join Date: Sep 2014
                                  Posts: 7

                                  Hey can I ask that the video 3 could be explained a little easier? Im new started hacking today and I didnt understand the palettes and blocks and what you did to make custom blocks. I understood the transperancy,palette editor part and the x-y flip but not the first 10 mins of your video where u talk about 2 tiles 1 transparent etc.Can I ask if it is recommended to use a rom base to do the mapping or do the sprites,icons editing first then use the mapping?Because I dont know how to check the pokemons in the rom base as the PGE and APSE show errors. Thanks for you awesome videos!!

                                  Reply With Quote
                                    #93    
                                  Old May 3rd, 2017 (3:09 PM).
                                  Skinsoverbirds Skinsoverbirds is offline
                                     
                                    Join Date: May 2017
                                    Posts: 1

                                    These tutorial videos are great, but how can you make a trainer disappear after battling them or after the aftertext? I get the fades to work but he is still either there or I have to go in a building to refresh my game for him to disappear.

                                    Reply With Quote
                                      #94    
                                    Old May 4th, 2017 (10:10 AM).
                                    Anthroyd's Avatar
                                    Anthroyd Anthroyd is offline
                                       
                                      Join Date: May 2016
                                      Location: United States
                                      Age: 19
                                      Gender: Male
                                      Posts: 120

                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Skinsoverbirds View Post
                                      These tutorial videos are great, but how can you make a trainer disappear after battling them or after the aftertext? I get the fades to work but he is still either there or I have to go in a building to refresh my game for him to disappear.

                                      Learn about flags and variables in the tutorial titled History Never Repeats Itself.

                                      __________________

                                      Pokémon Generation III ROM Hacking

                                      Video Series

                                      Reply With Quote
                                        #95    
                                      Old May 8th, 2017 (4:33 AM).
                                      Davixxa Davixxa is offline
                                         
                                        Join Date: Jun 2014
                                        Gender: Male
                                        Posts: 2

                                        The embeds doesn't seem to be willing to show up for me. Upon Inspecting element, it seems they are there, but copying the links and manually navigating to the video results in a 404.

                                        Reply With Quote
                                          #96    
                                        Old May 11th, 2017 (6:41 AM).
                                        Anthroyd's Avatar
                                        Anthroyd Anthroyd is offline
                                           
                                          Join Date: May 2016
                                          Location: United States
                                          Age: 19
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Posts: 120

                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Davixxa View Post
                                          The embeds doesn't seem to be willing to show up for me. Upon Inspecting element, it seems they are there, but copying the links and manually navigating to the video results in a 404.

                                          I've added external links to each video within the spoiler tags. I've never experienced your problem firsthand, but this should fix any future case of it.

                                          __________________

                                          Pokémon Generation III ROM Hacking

                                          Video Series

                                          Reply With Quote
                                            #97    
                                          Old May 11th, 2017 (6:47 AM).
                                          Narwhal's Avatar
                                          Narwhal Narwhal is offline
                                          Meme Lord
                                             
                                            Join Date: May 2016
                                            Location: New Jersey
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Lax
                                            Posts: 135

                                            Thanks for this series! It really helped me get a start on my rom hacking stuff lol

                                            __________________


                                            Currently working on my Fire Red Rom Hack Pokémon Bismuth

                                            Reply With Quote
                                              #98    
                                            Old May 28th, 2017 (7:27 AM).
                                            MaverickGG MaverickGG is offline
                                               
                                              Join Date: May 2017
                                              Posts: 2

                                              What program/s will I need in order to create a Rom Hack of my own. A Rom Hack for Pokemon Ruby.

                                              Reply With Quote
                                                #99    
                                              Old May 31st, 2017 (5:52 PM).
                                              RuFF's Avatar
                                              RuFF RuFF is offline
                                              Hope you're having a RuFF day!
                                                 
                                                Join Date: Aug 2012
                                                Location: Philippines
                                                Age: 19
                                                Gender: Male
                                                Nature: Lonely
                                                Posts: 348

                                                Thanks for making these video tutorials. I learned a lot.

                                                I have a request,

                                                Can you make a tutorial on how to change the world map for Fire Red? I can't really understand the other tutorials and some of them doesn't have images.

                                                __________________

                                                My Hack:

                                                Reply With Quote
                                                  #100    
                                                Old June 19th, 2017 (11:55 AM).
                                                jellybean_jelle jellybean_jelle is offline
                                                   
                                                  Join Date: Jun 2017
                                                  Posts: 1

                                                  Please help me with map connections, I whas trying to get them setup so id remove trees and a little fence from route 1 to pallet town, BUT it keeps giving me this ''Acces violation at adress 004C15A7 in module ''AdvanceMap.exe''. Read of adress 00000324." When i try to edit my connections how did i fix it!???

                                                  Reply With Quote
                                                  Reply
                                                  Quick Reply

                                                  Sponsored Links
                                                  Thread Tools

                                                  Posting Rules
                                                  You may not post new threads
                                                  You may not post replies
                                                  You may not post attachments
                                                  You may not edit your posts

                                                  BB code is On
                                                  Smilies are On
                                                  [IMG] code is On
                                                  HTML code is Off

                                                  Forum Jump


                                                  All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:15 AM.