• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

[Other Original] Misadventures of a Scaredy Cat Thief

Years
Chapter 1

The darkness of the night acted as a shield against prying mortal eyes. It cascaded down in a gentle wave acting as a guard to a fair city. It was a city obviously not founded in the work of human hands. This city was in fact home to creatures skilled in magic; The Wolfins. In their natural form they possessed traits seen in wolves and dragons. However many had learned in their younger days how to take human form for their own safety. It became such a prevalent skill that eventually it turned into an inborn ability common among even the youngest Wolfin. Many learned how to get to a form somewhere in between with wolf ears or dragon wings on a human body. This skill was mostly common in the nobility for various reasons of cross cultural interaction. There were of course the "late bloomers" who took longer to develop more powerful magic, however they were always the strongest when they finally grew into their dormant skills.

In this city there lived one child in particular. Her nature was one of curiosity with a sneaky character to coot. She showed few signs of magic or warriorhood, but she showed great promise to that which was shadowy and dark. Many other species would have watched her with hawk like wariness in the promise of a thief or sent her off to learn to be a royal assassin. Yet the Wolfin held a different look on such abilities. In fact many took pride in raising a thief as humans might in a knight since Wolfin thieves were known to spread their wealth to the poor.

Young Juliet ran around the mansion she called home with joyous squeals. The little girl quickly turned into a wolf and ducked under a table to hide from her older brother, who was hot on her tail. They were playing a game of hide and tag as their parents took to calling it. Their guardian, an old silver gray she wolf with one silver fang, had cautioned them on not running into anything as they might hurt themselves. Suffice to say her brother had done this multiple times that night. He was strong, but he didn't have Juliet's speed. She was also cunning so she could often outwit her oaf of a two-year-older sibling. His sharp sense of smell was quickly tracking her, but Juliet knew how to work around such skills. She was a hunter and thief, and although he was a warrior at the moment she was in a place where she had the advantage. The young girl moved to a perch atop a shelf before her brother got there and waited. When he was under her she quickly knocked over a bottle of lilac perfume her mother kept in the kitchen. She bounded to a different hiding spot, the little white wolf finding a perfect one as a rag close to the sink. Her white pelt looked just like the towels her mother used to wash things as she still had to lose her shaggy, fluffy, puppy fur.

Meanwhile, her brother was furiously shaking his head to get the strong scent to stop assaulting his nose. It wasn't working very well and the scent only further got him lost in his trailing. Juliet was snickering to herself quietly and watching her brother with great amusement as he would never guess the spot she had chosen. She supposed she would have to tell him sooner or later, but for now her blue gray eyes glittered with pure joy as her brother glared about trying to find her. Of course he didn't find her, little lone notice any sort of inconsistency. "Juliet, come out," he cried looking around on the floor. Her brother was very earthbound in the way of hating heights the way she adored them. This gave her an advantage because he would never look up. He skimmed the entire ground, every cabinet and nook and cranny. "I thought we promised to stay down here!" He whined pathetically.

Juliet was about to jump down and hassle him on such a poor display when she heard a loud crash. The sound of her father screaming echoed through the air, her mother's voice quickly followed her fathers by yelling something Juliet couldn't understand. It was in a different language she didn't understand. After that her mother cried out in distress and agony. It was the sound of someone who was dying, though at the time Juliet had no clue what that sound was. Her mind was blank, she had no clue what was going on. Both children were still, fear growing in their poor hearts. Juliet was quiet, unnoticeable, hidden. Her brother was obvious sitting out in the open. The young girl had lost her voice and could not cry for her brother to hide. Moments later a few men came in. One of them was soaked in blood and had a patch of white fur tightly gripped in his hands. "Damn, that gray one was a problem. I thought she would fight us to death. But that woman said something which made her leave. Wonder if she'll come back. Either way the parents are done with," he said with a shrug.

It took most of Juliet's strength to stop herself from shaking. Another man had a sack. He smiled down at Juliet's older brother and grabbed him. Frozen in fright, her brother put up no fight at all as he was shoved into the sack. Juliet was the contrary. She had the urge to burst into a run. Juliet however was fairly smart so she stayed still, silent, twitching her ears in their direction to better hear.

"What about the daughter?" The man with the sack asked as he swung it over his shoulder. A small, muffled yelp came from it.

"She's too young to take. Not to mention too weak to be more than trouble. End her," the bloody man said with a bloody toothed grin. Her body was shaking violently now and her mind told her to run. The man noticed her shaking as she bumped against some of the dishes causing a ruckus and turned to her. "Come here little one. We promise to end it quickly," he said in a voice that chilled Juliet's blood. She threw herself off the counter top bolting right past the men with speed only something part dragon and part wolf could achieve.

The child, scared out of her mind ran through room after room and leapt through the first open window she could find. The landing hurt her paws but she kept running. However this had been expected and a group of men cut her off before she hit the nearby forest. The city behind her was completely engulfed in flames and she couldn't figure out why. So she curled up in a small ball and started to cry. A five year old child should under no conditions stare down death. There was laughter and the sound of footsteps. Another pair of footsteps which were much lighter than that of the men currently after Juliet's life and suddenly everything grew silent. There was a choke like gurgle and a spray of hot liquid that smelled like the stuff covering the man who took her brother. It was a spray of fresh blood, and it most certainly wasn't her own. Fear kept her from raising her head, but hope was burning in her heart that maybe her savior had come.

"Ah, sweet child are you hurt?" Someone asked, lifting her up in their arms. It was a woman who carried the scent of a fellow Wolfin. Juliet opened her eyes and raised her head. "I'm Flame, and this is my mate the Black Fox. The greatest thief alive," the woman had burning red hair and pale skin. She was dressed in a long beautiful dress with a long sword hanging off her waist. She had a delicate looking frame but something made Juliet think it was anything but. The man behind her was also a Wolfin. He had dark gray eyes much like his wife, but his hair was short and black. His frame was one suited perfectly to a thief. He wore a kind and gentle smile.

"I'm sorry but I don't think your parents are here anymore… Why don't you come home with us?" The man asked with a slightly sorrowful look. His scent was almost familiar to young Juliet, like family.

Juliet was reluctant due to her parents warning of strangers, but what else could she do? Their scent like her mothers and the man's kindness made it tempting. What else did she have left? She reluctantly agreed.

(-)(-)(-)(-)

Ruin sat alone quietly in the dimply lit room. None of the other children paid him much mind. He wasn't' necessarily worth any kind of attention, after all he was nothing more than 'trouble' for all the well-mannered kids. In this "Family" he was the black sheep. All the children here had been taken by a group of assassins known as The Family, including Ruin. They were all children of old targets. All of them had memory erasing magic used on them, so none of them could remember their old families. This made them act well behaved as The Family was kind to its children to make them loyal. For some reason it didn't work completely on Ruin. He couldn't remember details of his family, but he knew some things that helped him resist the Family much better than any other child in the room. The Family knew this but for some reason they couldn't get rid of all his memories. So instead he got abused.

There was a furious crying as the door opened. A small light blonde haired boy was tossed into the room. He was sniffling and it was obvious he was the one crying by the way his sharp green eyes were glazed over with a kind of wetness. Ruin didn't know what tears looked like; after all he was the only one he knew who had ever cried. Ruin felt a little kinship with this boy; he obviously kept his memories like Ruin had. Ruin wandered over to the boy. "Hello there, I'm Ruin. Who are you?" Ruin asked gently and kindly hoping to get the boy to calm down and tell him what happened.

"I'm Ace, can you help me get home?" Ace asked.

"Sadly no, or I wouldn't be here. But I can help protect you. Just stick with me! Would you mind telling me a bit about your home?" Ruin said pulling Ace closer. He had to figure out how much this boy knew.

"I'm a Wolfin, and I came from a city of Wolfin's. A bunch of men attacked the entire town and set everything on fire. They caught me a long with a ton of other kids my age. But most of them were killed. Something about their "magic not working" and my "complacent nature" being useful. So I was the only one who lived… They said it was because I wasn't too fierce…" Ace said trying to piece together everything he had heard from inside his sack with his captor. He heard many other young Wolfin crying and screaming. He had a feeling he was the only one who lived, which was terrible for a seven-year-old boy to know.

Ruin was shocked by how much Ace remembered. It must be something of his species. A Wolfin? Ruin had never heard of such a thing. According to the explanation Ace had given his soft nature was the only reason he was allowed to live, which could cause trouble in escape plans. Or maybe not. Ruin hugged Ace. "It's gonna be okay," he whispered gently.

(-)(-)(-)(-)

Five years passed from that horrific night. Juliet had been adopted by Black and Flame. She was then trained to be a master thief just like him. Her pure white hair was an occasionally problem as she stood out rather sorely in some situations, but Juliet was naturally skilled and took pride in her art. A little physical problem wasn't going to be too big a speed bump for one of her nature and skillset. It was finally time for her first big heist. She was both excited and scared by the idea. There was a vast difference between training with Black and what she was about to do. It didn't help that such a thing was going to be her first heist simply for the fact she needed to make a big splash. What was her very first job as the apprentice of the most talented thief in the world? Stealing from none of than the human king.

The man was paranoid, which made her job hard, but after watching him for weeks she learned that the man always kept his balcony window open. It was the tallest tower she had ever seen. Only a dragon or some other winged beast could get up there. Why fear assassins or thieves in such a case? Which left the winged Juliet a perfect easy way in. Silently she spread her wings. Like some noble Wolfin she could make certain aspect of her true form appear in her human form after some practice with Black.

Juliet found her way to the open window and stuck her head in. What she found as horrific. The King had been gutted and killed in an obviously slow fashion. His limbs were all chopped off and butchered; a gag in his mouth had been holding back his screams. His insides were beside him as if on display. The way the cuts looked he had still been alive when his killers started to play with his insides. The sick monsters had made him watch. The pool of blood surrounding him was massive. The scent of lilac permeated the air bring back memories of that far ago night. Juliet sound feel herself gaging and start to shake. Such memories and scene before the mere ten-year-old made her close to fainting. She flew away as fast as she could, forgetting her job to steal. She went to the outskirts of the city close to the stables. Near horses, animals, she felt better and a lot safer.

Her heart pounded away in her chest and her breathing was uneven. Juliet felt sick and she fled the scene. She had a feeling at this point Black would not mind her coming home empty handed.

(-)(-)(-)(-)

Ruin watched the chaos the next day in the capital city of man. After news of the king's death had spread it was complete madness in the streets. The Family had been rather excited for this job as it would spread their name far and wide, as a precaution they went in a group, killing every guard they could along the way. Mostly everyone in the castle was either dead or poisoned to the point they would die soon. Ruin and Ace had taken their chance to escape with no one guarding the way out. It had been easier than expected. It was almost like… no such an idea was stupid even for Ruin's over active imagination.

The pair took a small sum of gold with them, which they planned to use in order to join an academy for Knights. It would take about five years but for them to be qualified to apply as city guards. Then later they could strike out their own path and search for their families, or at least information on them. It was hard to believe that they would be alive after being attacked by assassins. Then again many jobs had failed. Children would still be taken only to be found by their living parents later. It never seemed to end well as those children were usually trained assassins by then. But Ruin and Ace? They refused that life.

This was the beginning of a grand tale. One that would change everything they knew, one that might even as cliché as it sounded change the world.

Years
The darkness of the night acted as a shield against prying mortal eyes. It cascaded down in a gentle wave acting as a guard to a fair city.

Very great imagery here. Kudos to you, sir.

Her nature was one of curiosity with a sneaky character to coot.

To boot?

The young girl moved to a perch atop a shelf before her brother got there and waited. When he was under her she quickly knocked over a bottle of lilac perfume her mother kept in the kitchen. She bounded to a different hiding spot, the little white wolf finding a perfect one as a rag close to the sink. Her white pelt looked just like the towels her mother used to wash things as she still had to lose her shaggy, fluffy, puppy fur.

Cute kid. This reminds me of Wolf Children a bit

She threw herself off the counter top bolting right past the men with speed only something part dragon and part wolf could achieve.

This didn't occur to me before but a wolf and a dragon? Did they sex or something? That had to hurt.

The man was paranoid, which made her job hard, but after watching him for weeks she learned that the man always kept his balcony window open.

No archers or other traps set on that balcony even though he's paranoid? Golly.

Ruin watched the chaos the next day in the capital city of man. After news of the king's death had spread it was complete madness in the streets. The Family had been rather excited for this job as it would spread their name far and wide, as a precaution they went in a group, killing every guard they could along the way. Mostly everyone in the castle was either dead or poisoned to the point they would die soon. Ruin and Ace had taken their chance to escape with no one guarding the way out. It had been easier than expected. It was almost like… no such an idea was stupid even for Ruin's over active imagination.

This could have been shown rather than told. I don't know if you were trying to shorten the chapter though, so if so then it's fine.

Years
Yeah. Its not very good. i'm just an amateur okay? There are lots of plot holes I know but I just wanted some place to start after rewriting things over and over and over my entire life.

Years
Oi, don't delete it. There are nuances but I still think it's a great story - that's why I read it. And you shouldn't ever consider your work trash if you put all of your effort into it. Nothing is ever trash in fact, even if it seems that way, as there will always be at least one person that will love your story.

Back