• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In depth Advance Map tutorial

Years
im having trouble connecting maps in leaf green i changed pallet town so you exit from the right side and im tryin to connect it to route one from the left and when i click connections it shows connection number direction offset map bank map no and zero out so how do i get the connections right so that it connects in the right areas

AlfaTyrogue

Swag.
Years
rbedsole: Every map has a number (x.y) x is the map bank, y is the map no. If your route shall connect to Pallet Town (map 3.0) set map bank to 3 and map no. to 0.

I'm trying to make a bridge over a cliff (movement permission 1). But when I set the bridge tile to behavior byte 08 00 it thinks I can pass through the cliff when on ground level.
What should I do?

The Void

hiiiii
Years
I'm trying to make a bridge over a cliff (movement permission 1). But when I set the bridge tile to behavior byte 08 00 it thinks I can pass through the cliff when on ground level.
What should I do?

Make sure the movement permission is set to 3C.

Last edited:

AustinWolff

has left
Years
so for the var value in Amap, what do I put into those 0000 things in Amap when making a script box? oh, and if there is anything wrong with my script please tell me! I use pokescript and a ruby rom.

Spoiler:

Facelift

Years
  • Seen May 20, 2012
Thanks a lot man, you don't see that many Advance Map tutorials that focus on stuff other than mapping, you know.

Perfect for newbies. :)

Years
  • Seen May 28, 2016
thank you so much for posting this tutorial because of this i now know what i am doing when i goto map, and because of that once i get 15 posts ill have to post my map in the map rating thread to get better :D thank you so much

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
Hmm... I'm still not sure how to change the direction of the map.

Like in Fire Red if I wanted to go to a new area to the left instead of up how would I make a new area to the left?

Years
  • Seen Jan 5, 2012
Well, as I said, it's a good tutorial for newcomers, I didn't find Advance Map too hard to understand when I started hacking a long time ago, so I never needed tutorials, it's the same case with many other people.

i agree with you on the fact that advance map is easy to under stand, but the warp tile part of this tutorial could be very helpful to people that want to create a legendary pokemon event. i personally was wondering if advance map could be used to turn the deoxys event into a mew event. if it can, how do i do it and if if cant do u no wat can?

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
Er.. how would you rearrange the towns?

Like for example I want Pewter City to be to the South west of Pallet Town instead of northward.

basically I want my map to look like this...

pokemon_star_version_map_by_missdigitalis-d4l4z2m.png

I know there's another thread for editing the map item but I don't understand how to make the map pieces connect in this order.

Last edited:

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Er.. how would you rearrange the towns?

Like for example I want Pewter City to be to the South west of Pallet Town instead of northward.

basically I want my map to look like this...

pokemon_star_version_map_by_missdigitalis-d4l4z2m.png

I know there's another thread for editing the map item but I don't understand how to make the map pieces connect in this order.

Search around on the internet for advance map 1.92. It has a built-in map editor, where you can define which towns go where. The newer version of A-map doesn't have this function yet. Also, If you expanded the rom, don't use A-map.

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2012
Which part is confusing you?
well it gets messed up once I try to load the raw and then I don't understand the part about the offsets.

Also, is there a way for me to duplicate map pieces with different names?

Example:
I want to use the format for route 1 several times but I want to be able to edit each instance of it individually and make it connect to different places.

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2012
How would you completely change the type of pokemon? If I'm using emerald and I want to have johto pokemon.. What program would I use?

The Void

hiiiii
Years
How would you completely change the type of pokemon? If I'm using emerald and I want to have johto pokemon.. What program would I use?

Although this is completely unrelated to the thread you are posting in, I'd say... YAPE. Not only could you change the Pokemon's type, but you can change its abilities, stats, movesets, evolutionary lines, and Pokedex entries as well!

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2012
Although this is completely unrelated to the thread you are posting in, I'd say... YAPE. Not only could you change the Pokemon's type, but you can change its abilities, stats, movesets, evolutionary lines, and Pokedex entries as well!

Sorry I'm new to this site and was scanning through, looking for a quick answer..
But in YAPE can you change the entire region? Or only individual pokemon?

brokencandle

Expert Hacker
Years
Does anybody know how to create maps as a seperate map? And not part of the existing ones? Whenever I try and make a new map, it works fine. I can edit it, etc. But then when I try to 'insert' it, (Create new space -> new bank -> insert), it ends up being part of another map - littleroot town.

I wouldn't mind that, but because I wanted to change the name of my map, it ends up changing the whole thing. How do I make it as a separate item on the side - for example, where it says 'Littleroot town', 'Lilycove City', 'Route 101', and not part of other ones? Thanks.

I would post screenies but I haven't got the required post count to do so >_>.

droomph

weeb
Years
Does anybody know how to create maps as a seperate map? And not part of the existing ones? Whenever I try and make a new map, it works fine. I can edit it, etc. But then when I try to 'insert' it, (Create new space -> new bank -> insert), it ends up being part of another map - littleroot town.

I wouldn't mind that, but because I wanted to change the name of my map, it ends up changing the whole thing. How do I make it as a separate item on the side - for example, where it says 'Littleroot town', 'Lilycove City', 'Route 101', and not part of other ones? Thanks.

I would post screenies but I haven't got the required post count to do so >_>.
FireRed and LeafGreen have a couple unused ones, and Emerald has all the FireRed ones as unused, plus a couple other unused ones.

If you want to make a new one you're going to have to do a lot of repointing.

Back