• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Starting New Games

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 12, 2016
Once you've completed the story and done all of the after quests, do you ever start your game over or do you keep the file for wifi battles and catching more pokemon?

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
Eh, I play the other option to battling (contests, Pokéathlon, etc.) a lot and try to catch them all, but I usually fail in that.

I make a new game, but I never save obviously. I eventually get bored of it and go back to the oher game lol. I just wait until the newest game comes out, transfer almost every Pokémon and then make a new game. : P

Years
I don't restart my games since I want to train all the Pokemon I have caught throughout the game and eventually I try to catch them all. I want to keep all the precious Pokemon I have collected lol.

Years
Most of the time I keep my original file on my game, as I'd rather not erase hours of hard work I put into raising my Pokemon and filling up my Pokedex. Only twice have I actually restarted a game on one of my cartridges (Gold and Sapphire), and both times I regretted it later on.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I do not really restart my file, I would rather buy the other version as I have worked hard beating the game. After I beat the game I would 100% it.

Magnetic

Underground Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2018
I usually just end up stopping haha. But now that you mention it, I would probably be better off just restarting.

GrayJM9

Playing White 2
Years
  • Seen May 14, 2013
I always start over and do things differently like taking on challenges.

Clairvoyance_

Arcanine
Years
I kind of just stop playing, and take a break from the game itself.
If I do feel like restarting though, I always make sure I switch all of my good Pokemon to another game. :3

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I tend to restart, and go use different Pokemon, like if I started with Piplup in Platinum once, I'd change and start with Chimchar - if I caught a Shinx on my first playthrough, I'd replace it with a Pachirisu.

Clairvoyance_

Arcanine
Years
I tend to restart, and go use different Pokemon, like if I started with Piplup in Platinum once, I'd change and start with Chimchar - if I caught a Shinx on my first playthrough, I'd replace it with a Pachirisu.

My issue is I usually use the same Pokemon each time, even though I try not to. I'll probably have one in my party that I've never trained before.

Years
I must have restarted Ruby and replayed it all the way through about ten times. But I've never restarted my save on another game for some reason.

Since D/P we've had a fair bit to do after the Pokemon league anyway so there's no need to restart personally.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
Sometimes I used to restart my games when I was younger, cause it didn't mean as much to me. A year or so ago though my li'l bro's friends got a hold of my DS and completely erased BOTH my diamond and Pearl files. I've never really worked up to replaying them again since... :(

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
I don't start new games. The stuff I have on the file is just too valuable to get rid of. After completing White Version, I actually went out and bought Black 4 months later just to play through the story again.

Though, since I have traded over/migrated all my Pokemon from my previous games such as Platinum and Soul Silver, I guess I can restart those if I ever feel like it. xD

Last edited:

Clacla

karp karp karp
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 15, 2017
I have a serious problem with being overly decisive, so starting a new game is torturous to me. I think over all of the pros/cons, which Pokémon I'd trade to a different game to save from their impending apocalypse, and the thought process can take up to several days.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I never restart my games, I get to emotionally attached to the Pokemon I raised, and the hard work of beating the Elite 4 and the champ. I will keep my files forever. I will continue to play them - mostly to complete the Pokedex, go on a shiny search, or just breed Pokemon for a new game (like I did for White 2 - I wanted a low level Mienfoo)....

for a new journey? - I will just buy another new copy of the game. (I'm guessing by the start of the 7th Gen I may own about 4 to 6 copies of each game.)

Years
Trade pokemon over to an equivalent generation, problem solved! I love the stories, I play them over and over again.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
I catch more pokemon. I try to complete my National Dex in all of my games. I usually never restart my games because I don't want to erase my dex (all the hard work!) and I get really attached to my team. They are like my babies and I don't want to lose them @.@

Years
There are very few pokemons that I get attached to during my play throughs. If I do I just use my Dsi XL and my Ds Lite and trade it over then restart. I have no problem with restarting a game. I actually did it on my black game quite recently.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I restart my games all the time. For each gen, bar gen I and II, I have a designated storage game (or two) so that I can keep all my teams from my games that are restarted and also RNG, fill my Dex, or whatever. I restart often to play more challenges, as I don't like to use emulators.

Back