• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Shiny Pokemon Thread

Years
  • MA
  • Seen Sep 2, 2013
The other day posting on this thread saying how I was yet to find a shiny Pokemon in gen 5 actually changed today! I was trying to breed Charmanders to create an absolute beast of a Charizard. Timid nature, and maxed out EVs and perfect IVs for the timid nature. However during my conquest in doing so I hatched a shiny Charmander! It was a good surprise!

Lucky1Yena

Just some guy
Years
I haven't seen any shinies since a Mightyena in Sapphire (which went missing).

In fact, in all my years playing, I've only seen 3 shiny Pokémon (excluding the red gyarados in Johto).

Aside from the rareness factor though, are there really any differences between shiny and non-shiny Pokémon?

Years
For starters, there's the shiny Haxorus. Not long after I fully completed my Unova Dex back in November, I went to the Nature Preserve and brought my Synchronizer. First attempt at catching it was female with Mold Breaker. One Quick Ball, and it was mine. Even better, Adamant nature with 30 HP IV, 31 Attack and 29 Defense. While it's general fare, I think that was a pretty good pull.

I completed the National Pokédex and got the Shiny Charm back in May. First shiny i've found since getting it was a Petilil while I was EV training my new Nidoking in Victory Road a few weeks ago. It was in a double battle with a Roselia. I would have liked if it was the Roselia that was shiny, since Roserade is one of my favorite Pokémon, but hey, i'll take it.

Years
I caught a shiny basculin two days ago while ev training so dissapointing :L I wouldnt have even noticed if it wasnt for the stars

I did too! Why do you say it was disappointing? My shiny Basculin was my first shiny ever.

Well, yeah, I've FOUND one shiny ever and it was on my White 2, a Basculin. I saw it while EV training and I stood up and said, "whaaaaat what what what no no no no what???"
I was so happy hahaha.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I've encountered a shiny Ducklett once, but unfortunately, I wasn't able to catch it. I didn't have any Poké Balls with me at the time, so I just had to run away from it. Sandile in Pokémon White 2 is the only shiny Pokémon I have. One of my friends was able to catch two shiny Sandile, somehow, so she decided to keep one for herself and give the other one to me. I wish I was as lucky as her, haha~

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Just got the Shiny Dialga from GameStop. Will be stopping in again when Palkia premiers and then Giritina.

Dialga
Palkia
Giritina

I'll keep you posted.

Years
  • Age 25
  • U.S.
  • Seen Aug 21, 2013
I haven't seen one shinny EVER (except the red gyarados), I don't understand it, I have played every gen sense 3rd. I must be doing something wrong. XD

pokefan9900

The Egg has Finally Hatched!!!
Years
I've gotten 10 shiny Pokemon, including Red Gyarados, without Action Replay. They were Chansey, Tauros, Rhydon, Audino, Ducklett, Gyarados, Rattata or Raticate, Latios or as, I can't really remember that one, Magmar, Torkoal and Minun. I also was given a shiny Pachirisu, Salamence and Metagross, but those don't count.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I found a shiny Azurill (now Azumarill) on black 2. Not completely sure what I was doing but hey I like shiny Azumarill so it's all okay. <3

Years
I haven't seen a wild shiny Pokemon yet. Maybe because I avoid grass :) haha

I got my shiny Gible after completing the Black Tower and now I am trying to get a shiny Eevee with the Masuda Method. I am not lucky at all :( I have like 152 Eevees now. If you want an Eevee send me a message haha :)

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2020
Still have never seen a legit Shiny in a game, except in Firered I saw a trainer with a shiny Espeon! I'm gonna keep looking though! And i'm gonna get the shiny legendaries that are offered as an event right now!

Years
I've seen a lot of Shiny Pokemon. I'm actually a Shiny Hunter. I've got lots of shines. Too may to count though! :P

Years
I do have shiny Pokémon from events (such as the ones that have been held at Gamestop), but I still have yet to randomly encounter a shiny Pokémon in the wild :( and I always have Pokéballs on me (of various styles), so it shouldn't be difficult for me to catch one if I do come across one.

Back