• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Changes to the Type Chart

Ogu

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
With 18 Types it is not easy to balance all Weakness Resistance and Immunities each Type has to another.
So it's obvious that there are flaws in it and is in some rare cases unbalanced (Good Job Gamefreak!) and in a few cases just senseless.
What I want to discuss though is not the senseless cases but to improve the chart for the Competitive Scene.
Let's break down all Types.

Normal:
Yeah I know Normal has many strong moves but am I the only one who thinks it is unfair that Normal moves hit no other Type for SE but is resisted by two and has no effect on one?
That is why I suggest two remove the resistances Steel and Rock has against Normal.

Ice:
Add a Water and Flying Type resistance to it and defensive Ice Types can finally become relevant.
Edit: Offensively Ice is great already and adding two significant resistances could make it a very great typing so nerfing its offense shouldn't hurt it so Rock Types should resist Ice Moves.

Grass:
Resisted by so many and weak to so many. It has such a wide variety of options with the high number of Pokemon available but it's just a bad type in the meta right now. I suggest adding a Rock Type resistance to it and make it super effective on Electric Types.

Fire:
Keep it as it is.

Dragon:
Only SE on itself and resisted by Steel. Giving Fairies the immunity to it was the right move for a balancing (even though it makes no sense ^^) Keep it as it is.

Water:
Not very effective on Ice Types is the nerf it needs. And defensively make it weak to Poison to give Poison a bit more relevance.

Electric:
Add a weakness to Grass.

Bug:
The Bug Type is such a cool typing but so weak on the Type chart it makes me sad. I'd suggest making it's attacks SE on Fairies. This could be a very needed buff to Bug and make them more viable.

Fighting:
Add a Ghost immunity.

Ghost:
Amazing Type which should be nerfed. Only resisted by Dark, super effective on Psychic and itself and resitances to Bug and Poison while being immune to Normal and Fighting with only two weaknesses.
It makes sense that Ghosts and Normals can't touch each other but the Fighting Type is a Normal Pokemon who is a Fighter that's why it can't touch Ghosts too but why can Ghosts touch it? So add a Fighting ineffectiveness to Ghost Moves and everyone will be satisfied.

Psychic:
Great offensive typing which got the nerf it needed in Gen 2. Defensively it has two resistances and three weaknesses. Psychic is super effective on Poison (which doesn't necessarily makes sense though ^^) and I gave Poison a buff against Water so Psychic should resist Poison to balance it out.

Poison:
Introducing the Fairy typing in Gen 6 gave Poison a bit more relevance but I still think it should be buffed by making it super effective against Water. While this buff is amazing for the Poison Type it still would run when facing a Psychic Type so making Psychic resist Posion Type moves wouldn't nerf Posion too much.

Dark:
Keep it as it is.

Fairy:
Add a weakness to Bug instead of a resistance to nerf it while buffing the Bug Type.

Ground:
Keep it as it is.

Rock:
Great offensive Typing while being a bad defensive typing. I just noticed that by taking it's resistance to Normal I hurt Rock even more but right now I can't think of a buff for it's defenses. I hope you guys can help me out here. :D
Edit: Adding an Ice resistance to it won't hurt Ice but it is a significant buff to Rock.

Steel:
Take away its resistance to Normal.

Flying:
Great offensively and defensively (only exception Stealth Rock). So adding a Flying resistance to Ice Types which make Birds fly away anyway won't nerf it too much.

So that's my take on the Type Chart. Except for the Rock Type I guess I was able to balance things out a bit.
Would really love to hear your opinions guys.
Happy Discussion!!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
It's hard thinking of a balance for the rock type, because most are both Rock/Ground.

Ogu

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
So I have a few ideas to improve rock on the type chart but I am not sure cause there could be types which would get too nerfed by this

I took away Rock's resistance to Normal Type moves. Now it has 3 Resistances and 5 Weaknesses. So adding a significant Resistance to it would make sense.
I improved Ice Type defensively but it is still a great offensive typing. It may be resisted by 4 other Types but it is effective against Ground, Dragon, Grass and Flying.
What I would do here is either add Rock a resistance to Ice Attacks and remove the resistance Water has against Ice Moves or only add the Ice resistance to Rock. (Would it make sense that Rocks resist Ice? Truth is I don't even know, I am only about the competitive part. At least it is not as senseless as Fairies being immune to Dragons.)

Ogu

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
ZeoStar said:
It's hard thinking of a balance for the rock type, because most are both Rock/Ground.

I would have to disagree here though. You might be right that it is hard to balance the rock type but I don't think the combination with the ground type (which is a defensive mess of a type combo) is the reason for it.
And Rock/Ground is the only the third most used Rock Type.

Only Rock Type: 11 Pokemon (Counting Lycanroc and it's forms as 1 Pokemon)
Rock/Water: 10 Pokemon
Rock/Ground: 9 Pokemon

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I think Sturdy is a decent boost for Rock/Grounds anyways as a bunch of them have it. Helps alleviate the double weaknesses a bit in my opinion.

Personally I've never really had balance issues with the games but I like the effort you've taken to make such a list. I do think a Normal buff is unnecessary though. It's hardly an offensive type, and most of the Normal-type Pokemon that are offensively oriented can supplement Normal-type moves with moves from other types (Bite, sometimes Fighting-type moves, etc).

Ogu

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Rainbow said:
I think Sturdy is a decent boost for Rock/Grounds anyways as a bunch of them have it. Helps alleviate the double weaknesses a bit in my opinion.

Personally I've never really had balance issues with the games but I like the effort you've taken to make such a list. I do think a Normal buff is unnecessary though. It's hardly an offensive type, and most of the Normal-type Pokemon that are offensively oriented can supplement Normal-type moves with moves from other types (Bite, sometimes Fighting-type moves, etc).

You are right. Many Normal Type Pokemon have coverage moves to make up for their ineffectives against Ghost, Steel and Rock types. But there are many great Normal Moves and I thought since it is not a danger for any type why should it be weak offensively against any? The only reason I did not mention to take the immunity Ghost has against it away, is because there should at least one way to counter it.
Besides I like the idea of Ghost and Normal not being able to touch each other. (Gamefreak please give us a Normal/Ghost type Pokemon! PLEASE!!!)

Rock/Ground Pokemon are too weak even with sturdy. It is a bad Type Combo. There are to many ways to beat it imo. Bullet Seed, Water Shuriken, Icicle Spear, Scald with Burn, Iron Head and Flinch. I am using Golem's Sturdy to either set rocks at the beginning or blow up with explosion or if i am lucky both but there are many other pokemon who can utilize this better with a focus sash like azelf for example. It gets access to Taunt also. Rock needs improvement defensively for sure because Ground is a great typing and gets doomed if it has Rock to carry as its other type.

Last edited:

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
Years
What do bugs do in the cold? They die. There's no fighting it, the only way to live is for them to flee.

I don't know if I'd give Bug an Ice weakness, but I sure as heck would make the latter immune (or at least resistant) to the former.

I haven't given most other types too much thought, though the idea of removing Water's Ice resistance (or making it mutual) is pretty fair. I don't know if they need an extra weakness, but having them be vulnerable to Poison does make sense.

Ogu

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Star Arcana said:
What do bugs do in the cold? They die. There's no fighting it, the only way to live is for them to flee.

I don't know if I'd give Bug an Ice weakness, but I sure as heck would make the latter immune (or at least resistant) to the former.

I haven't given most other types too much thought, though the idea of removing Water's Ice resistance (or making it mutual) is pretty fair. I don't know if they need an extra weakness, but having them be vulnerable to Poison does make sense.

You do have a point which seems pretty interesting. If we look at other switch out moves like Volt Switch and Baton Pass both can be stopped either with a Ground Type / Electric Immunity Ability or Taunt but U-Turn is sure to succeed (if not stopped by Protect or similar moves). I really do not want to make the Bug Type weaker offensively. It is already resisted by many types. But a Type immune to U-Turn would make great sense. Interesting approach!

Back