• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 30, 2016
Are shiny and normal Pokemon required to otherwise have perfectly identical sprites? (excepting color) I want to put Missingno. into my hack, and I was hoping to use its blocky form for the main version and the Kabutops skeleton for the shiny form. I suspect this isn't viable, but I can hope.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
When I use the "sunny weather with clouds in the water" weather effect, clouds also appear on the trees for some random reason. I've tried editing the behavior byte of the tree blocks, but that still doesn't seem to do the trick. What do?

Reposting since it was never answered and now providing emphasis.
Spoiler:

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Reposting since it was never answered and now providing emphasis.
Spoiler:

I believe this is due to tile layering. The tops of the trees are probably on the same level as the clouds. Not much you can change.

Are shiny and normal Pokemon required to otherwise have perfectly identical sprites? (excepting color) I want to put Missingno. into my hack, and I was hoping to use its blocky form for the main version and the Kabutops skeleton for the shiny form. I suspect this isn't viable, but I can hope.

Yes, shinies are just a separate palette. You could however, with some ASM, load a different image for a shiny. I have hacked that routine before, and it isn't hard.

Last edited:

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
Years
In Emerald, how would I go about getting a specific type icon to use a different palette/index? In an attempt to get eggs to show up as Normal-type instead of ??? I overwrote the [???] icon to be identical to the [Normal] one. It inserted fine and the other elemental icons look fine, but the palette is now off (since it's still using the same palette that [???] did) and I'd like to get the old-???-turned-normal icon to use the same palette as [Normal] instead.

I've poked around in the ROM and VBA Memory/OAM/Palette viewers, but I'm having a hard time finding any addresses or pointers in the ROM itself that specify which palette/index each icon uses.

Example screenie:
p8zr.png

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Trader Advanced gets an "Invalid Property Value" whenever I try to open my ROM with it. I'm pretty sure there's a tutorial for creating your own trade scripts somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know how I can fix the error, or have a link to the tutorial?

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
Trader Advanced gets an "Invalid Property Value" whenever I try to open my ROM with it. I'm pretty sure there's a tutorial for creating your own trade scripts somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know how I can fix the error, or have a link to the tutorial?

There is a section is diegoisawesome's XSE tutorial titled "Pokemart" which will show you how to make the sell-able items appear on the list inside the Pokemart. The rest you can copy and paste from an existing Pokemart script as I'm assuming the only thing you're gonna be changing are what items are sold there.

karatekid552

Years
There is a section is diegoisawesome's XSE tutorial titled "Pokemart" which will show you how to make the sell-able items appear on the list inside the Pokemart. The rest you can copy and paste from an existing Pokemart script as I'm assuming the only thing you're gonna be changing are what items are sold there.

He is talking about in game trades, not trading as is purchasing.:P
----

I don't know what property is missing, but it is most likely a bad ini or a corrupted rom. Try redownloading. If that doesn't work, most likely you have an unsupported rom, or that data in your rom is corrupted.

leyn09

Truant Trainer
Years
I've been searching but I can't seem to find one. So my last resort was to ask you guys. I've have been getting frustrated all over again to find out how to edit the move description using hex editor. Since my pointers has been changed, most of the tools cannot support my rom. All I use is PGE but it is only able to re-point the description. How do I edit it via Hex editor or there is such tool with available ini so I could edit the text? An answer would be appreciated. :)

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 23, 2014
Is there an alternative to Wichu's Sprite Position Editor? When I open it, it just gives me an error and closes...

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
Okay, I'm back with more questions.
NOTE: these all involve JPAN's hacked engine.

First, say I add some sprites to a second sprite table after inserting the sprite hack into a clean rom. How would I access these sprites for use in game on a normal map? Would Advance Map be able to access them or would it involve a script, or would hex editing be needed?

Second, the information about the swarm/roaming pokemon hack and the wild data switch was confusing. Could somebody help by providing and explaining a couple examples?

Or if there is a tutorial or tutorials that could help with both/either of these, pointing me to those would be a help too. ^^ Thanks in advance for any assistance.

karatekid552

Years
Is there an alternative to Wichu's Sprite Position Editor? When I open it, it just gives me an error and closes...

Hex editing. What is the error?

Okay, I'm back with more questions.
NOTE: these all involve JPAN's hacked engine.

First, say I add some sprites to a second sprite table after inserting the sprite hack into a clean rom. How would I access these sprites for use in game on a normal map? Would Advance Map be able to access them or would it involve a script, or would hex editing be needed?

Second, the information about the swarm/roaming pokemon hack and the wild data switch was confusing. Could somebody help by providing and explaining a couple examples?

Or if there is a tutorial or tutorials that could help with both/either of these, pointing me to those would be a help too. ^^ Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1) They won't show up in A-map, however you can put in the index numbers and they will work in game. It just looks bad in A-map.

2) I believe you just set a var and then call a special, like most of his hack.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 23, 2014

As soon as I try to open the program, I get a pop up saying "Advanced Sprite Position Editor has stopped working, windows can check online for a solution"
I've read a lot of people have had the same problem but I didn't find a solution.

karatekid552

Years
As soon as I try to open the program, I get a pop up saying "Advanced Sprite Position Editor has stopped working, windows can check online for a solution"
I've read a lot of people have had the same problem but I didn't find a solution.

Make sure you have all of the .NET frameworks up to and including 4.0. So, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0. They all build on top of each other, and if you're missing one, an application may start and then crash. (Personally why I don't like .NET framework: they did do an all in one packager and it only runs on Windows:(. Otherwise it is a good framework.)

Years
I really need to find some scripters for simple conversation scripts and trainer battles things like that because my hack is like 90% done for the first BETA just no scripts and I have tried this site for like the past month posting on help boards script boards and team recruitment boards to no avail. Does anyone know of a site other that this one that has people willing to do some scripting? Because honestly I am about ready to just give up on my hack because its not going to get anywhere without some scripts ;-;

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023

1) They won't show up in A-map, however you can put in the index numbers and they will work in game. It just looks bad in A-map.

2) I believe you just set a var and then call a special, like most of his hack.

I'm a bit confused. Where exactly do I enter the index number of the sprite?

And after another look through the swarm/roaming pokemon special in the instruction manuel for JPAN's hacked engine, I get the level part, but I'm not sure I understand how to set the locations the pokemon will appear(grass, fishing, etc).

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 13, 2016
Hi! I'm new to ROMhacking and I am trying to make a hack of pokemon ruby for personal use. I was looking but couldn't find anything pertaining to this: How do I add newer generations of Pokemon into my generation III game? Is there a tool for this? If not, what's the hard way for doing it. I know that it can be done because it has been done for the popular ROM hacks. Example: Pokemon Light Platinum.

karatekid552

Years
I'm a bit confused. Where exactly do I enter the index number of the sprite?

And after another look through the swarm/roaming pokemon special in the instruction manuel for JPAN's hacked engine, I get the level part, but I'm not sure I understand how to set the locations the pokemon will appear(grass, fishing, etc).

1) Where you normally do. As, for sprites over 0xFF, you can use the very next unknown byte as the 0xYYFF.

2) Let me see it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back