• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

U.S. Senate votes to repeal indefinite detention of American citizens!!!

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
A... 800 year precedent?

Your going to have to explain that.

Khawill

<3
Years
I'm not sure about where the discussion lies here though this is certainly not game changing at all. As a matter of fact I never thought that this was an issue before, with a few exceptions; people who get life sentence usually deserve it (Especially murderers, 35 years is nothing for taking a human life, life sentence is the only justified punishment). Though that is not exactly my argument.

This seems like a small conflict resolution rather than a huge win, considering the issues of today are not related to this at all. Also while we are mentioning the bill of rights/constitution and such, I really think it should be noted that the documents are very old, and people think differently than today. Not only this but America is too busy putting their faces in them to see that today's problems are not all in those documents.

Years
The Senate can get together and vote to repeal this and yet they won't come up with anything to stop us from dropping off the fiscal cliff?

The repeal of infinite detention is miniscule to the real problems right now.

Years
I'm not sure about where the discussion lies here though this is certainly not game changing at all. As a matter of fact I never thought that this was an issue before, with a few exceptions; people who get life sentence usually deserve it (Especially murderers, 35 years is nothing for taking a human life, life sentence is the only justified punishment). Though that is not exactly my argument.

This seems like a small conflict resolution rather than a huge win, considering the issues of today are not related to this at all. Also while we are mentioning the bill of rights/constitution and such, I really think it should be noted that the documents are very old, and people think differently than today. Not only this but America is too busy putting their faces in them to see that today's problems are not all in those documents.

I think you misunderstood what is meant by indefinite detention. Basically, what was going on was that the NDAA for 2012 had authorized the federal government to detain US citizens without a trial for an indefinite amount of time. Or so I've read. Which, if true, is a violation of a citizen's constitutionally guaranteed rights, with it bypassing due process, among other things.

At least Congress has agreed on something benefiting US citizens.

Years
The Senate can get together and vote to repeal this and yet they won't come up with anything to stop us from dropping off the fiscal cliff?

The repeal of infinite detention is miniscule to the real problems right now.

It's really not the Senate who needs to come up with anything, It's more on Speaker Boehner's shoulders than anybody else's right now.

While I agree that this was pretty minor compared to some other issues, it still needed to happen.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years

Point of the act is if the government thinks you could be doing something in the name of Terrorism they can detain you without a jury.

Example if you bought a sandwich at a grocery store if the government thinks that sandwich could be connected to terrorism they can detain you the sandwich and the shop that made the sandwich permanently without any due process. This thing shouldve been challenged but repealing is good too.

Back