• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official PokéCommunity Shipping Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
I know, Hilda and Hilbert are like old people's names. It's like, yeah Nintendo, they are meant to be older than the previous protagonists, but not that old o.O

I reckon N's mum just hasn't been introduced at all at this point. Pokemon seems to like having single parents if there's "no need" for a second in the story :P

Last edited:

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
Years
You sir, are mad. >__> I will not have unnecessary moaning about names in my thread. They're just names. Get over it.

I'm sorry, but YOUR thread? You know, you should really stop insisting the thread belongs to you, because it doesn't.

Anyway, I digress.

I'm actually okay with the name Hilda, it doesn't sound that old, but definetely not Hilbert. It reminds me of 'derp' so much, and yeah, it sounds like an old person's name :C

Regarding BW ships, I'm actually pretty conflicted between Bianca/Cheren/Hilda/N, i.e. Bianca/Cheren, Cheren/Hilda and Hilda/N.
Also I'm a Wishful shipper for the Best Wishes series in case you don't know

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2012
They can't always be "pretty" names. That's silly. You know any other boy/unisex names that start with Hil- that don't sound "old" or like a girl's name (and is seven letters or less)? The "battle" aspect of Hil- was worth more than the fans whining that Hilbert is an aesthetically unpleasing name. =X Which makes the localization team just awesome.

Anyway, yeah, Pokémon isn't exactly parent-friendly within itself (except for, like, two cases, and that's in the anime). I doubt N's mother is going to ever be "revealed" and I highly doubt it's one of the goddesses. They seem more like big sisters, related or not. ....they better actually be more than just backdrop fodder next time around, because otherwise, their inclusion is pointless. Two random women that apparently have no role, and no one mentions them once, not even the sages. Do they even "exist," per se? ...Mebbe their Zoroark/Zorua!illusions. That would be hot.

Which also makes anything involving them just funny. XD "WHY U HAVE FUR?"

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Nim
  • Seen Feb 16, 2017
I don't approve of Hilda and Hilbert either. Does sound like herp derp. Sad I have to use it since it is the English localization. Can't use the Japanese versions if I'm not Japanese.

Twilighth-kun said:
The Ground Type User...CLAY
The Flying type user: SKYLA

Clay, however, could've been Clayton. That sounds much better.

Skyla sounds unoriginal, but so does Burgh. Brycen sounds similar to Pryce. Just why do we have three generations with the 7th gym being Ice-type?? I feel like the gyms of this generation have mixed with Hoenn's matchup and Johto's.

The "battle" aspect of Hil- was worth more than the fans whining that Hilbert is an aesthetically unpleasing name. =X Which makes the localization team just awesome.

Just how?

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years

I'm actually okay with the name Hilda, it doesn't sound that old, but definetely not Hilbert. It reminds me of 'derp' so much, and yeah, it sounds like an old person's name :C

Regarding BW ships, I'm actually pretty conflicted between Bianca/Cheren/Hilda/N, i.e. Bianca/Cheren, Cheren/Hilda and Hilda/N.
Also I'm a Wishful shipper for the Best Wishes series in case you don't know

Hilda is an ok name but I'm not a huge fan of Hilbert at all. I'm sticking with the Jap names. I'm starting to support Bianca and Cheren now. They seem to be a cute couple together. Probably because all the fanart of those two together got to me. Alright another Wishfulshipper!

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2012
Just how?
Just how what? How is the localization team awesome? Because regardless if they felt the fandom would whinge or not, they still went with dark horse names, and they chose names that (to anyone under 50) are extremely unconventional. But they stuck to a theme. And that makes them awesome because they chose to go with names that's PERFECTLY associated with the battle subway...instead of making it "pretty". Go them.

Or how is the prefix "Hil-" worth more than all the fandom crap being slung at it? Because Hilda means "battle maiden" (all out fighter-type) and Hilbert means "magnificent in battle/battle-bright" (strategy oriented). :B It might look derpy, but it's noble. And I love what they mean. Y'all who hate 'em...you find more fitting names.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
The connotations seem to be completely different from the actual meaning of the names then o_O I am surprised. Still can't stop thinking of my 70/80 year old Auntie Hilda though.

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Nim
  • Seen Feb 16, 2017
I still don't understand. How do those names stick with a fanbase full of even below 20 year olds? This "theme" doesn't stand out. At least not to me. Don't see it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2012
I still don't understand. How do those names stick with a fanbase full of even below 20 year olds? This "theme" doesn't stand out. At least not to me. Don't see it.
Because not everyone thinks that names from older generations are awful? Sure, it sucks to be stuck with them, for this very reason: most aren't going to appreciate the name at all.

And the theme is "fighting". The Japanese word ''Sen" is a word for fight/war/battle. "Sentou" is the noun "fighting/combat/battle". The "tou" in sentou makes it the actual word for "fighting". Tou itself can also be translated to fight/fighting.

Sentou
Touko
Touya

So there is your theme. It's not about "clear" or "transparency" that everyone initially though. Touko and Touya more than likely stem from "sentou." Fighting. Perfect names for your battle partners in the subway.

And considering their names in every other language also take their roots from a relation to "fight"...there's a slam dunk.

Last edited:

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Nim
  • Seen Feb 16, 2017
Oooh. Now if you said that explanation in your first post then I would've understood. Still doesn't make the English translation any sense though.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
  • Age 33
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 18, 2021
It does make the English translation make sense because both names have to do with battle, just like the Japanese ones do. The Japanese names are more of a pun of sorts, the English version is going with name origins like Frostik already explained ^. Hilda and Hilbert originate from German, who knew.

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2012
Oooh. Now if you said that explanation in your first post then I would've understood. Still doesn't make the English translation any sense though.
I suppose I'm too used to people going: "Have something you don't know? Bulbapedia!" It basically explains Touko/Hilda and Touya/Hilbert there, more or less (the name origins section is generally pretty thorough). They take simply the "tou" route. I went with "sentou". =X *my bad, I'm sorry*

But what Jorah said. Hild- (argh, and I kept saying Hil-) is a Germanic root for "battle." "Tou" is related to "fighting". The theme is their Battle Subway partnership, that they only fight beside you there.

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Nim
  • Seen Feb 16, 2017
Hilda and Hilbert do sound Germanic anyway....:/

But then, what about the past protagonists? How do they relate to "battling" in their partnerships?

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2012
But then, what about the past protagonists? How do they relate to "battling" in their partnerships?
They don't. The battle theme is only with this generation, as a direct relation to the NPC's role in the game, which is ONLY as a subway partner. This generation is also slightly different since Gen III, as the protagonist isn't a recurring character in their own right (unlike in RS, DP, and HGSS, where the NPC protagonist was actually more than the generic character; they had a known "life").

Lucas and Dawn (Kouki and Hikari) are themes of "light". Ethan and Lyra (Hibiki and Kotone) are themes of "sound". Brendan and May (Yuuki and Haruka) don't have a joint theme there (that anyone can figure), but their unique RS PC names (Landon/Sean/Rikuya/Kaito and Terra/Marina/Mutsumi/Nami) have themes of "land and sea".

If you think about it, they're all "made for each other."

Last edited:

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
Years
Imaginationshipping is Bel and Ash right? If so they aren't that bad together but now I'm somewhat thinking of Dento and Bel too since they seemed pretty cute in todays episode but Wishfulshipping will be my main shipping still.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
No, no, Pearlshipping is Dawn x Ash. And I hadn't known the name for Ash x Melody before, actually. It's fairly cute but nothing serious, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back