• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best pixel games?

Years
I've been playing MapleStory again (!) recently, it's reminding me how much I loved games in a pixel style back in the day. They just tend to look so good.

What do you guys think are good pixel games? I'd like to check some of them out. :'D Even if some of them aren't playable anymore (like some of the pixel style MMOs that have closed down) I'd still love to hear about it.

Years
To the Moon, Finding Paradise and Imposter Factory have some of the best storytelling in games and - especially the latter two options - do incredible thinks visually with pixel graphics.

The Spectre

The Spectre
Years
If you mean Pixel art, there is a full plethora of games, I can suggest Blasphemous and Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, these are the two Pixel Art games I was attached to for a while, and with the Final DLC for Blasphemous just around the corner, I'll probably get sucked right back into it haha

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Older games like Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger and the original Trials of Mana, the GBA and DS Castlevania games look pretty nice, as well. Hyperlight Drifter has a very interesting art style. Shovel Knight and Terraria looked pretty nice, as well.

As for something with quite a bit of character: look up the two Discworld games for the ScummVM. :D

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
The old Final Fantasy games were good and some of them were hard to beat. I also liked Super Mario World.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
LoopHeroLoopHeroLoopHeroLoopHeroLoopHero

Very fun game. One Way Heroics too. Honestly it feels like more and more 8/16 bit styled games are sneaking their way into my favorites by the year, I imagine Deltarune'll be there when it comes out as well.

Years
If you mean 2D animation in terms of pixel art, then a majority of 2D fighters I can recommend for their visuals alone like 3rd Strike Street Fighter 3, King of Fighters (especially XIII), Last Blade 2, Melty Blood, Guilty Gear X2, Garou: Mark of the Wolves.

If those are not your taste or you mean 2D pixel retro-like art there is also Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Minecraft, Iconoclasts, Udongein X, Luna Nights, Metal Slug series, the 2D Castlevania games, Mega Man X 4-6, Mega Man 8, Blasphemous, Hotline Miami, and Cave Story.

Other 2D animated games that look gorgeous are Tomba (or Tombi for the PAL region), and Rayman on PS1.

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
Among Indie Games:

Hyper Light Drifter is great

If you like JRPGs, Chained Echoes, CrossCode and Star Renegadees are great looking.
The first two are really fun.

Moreover, Sea of Stars is a good looking upcoming JRPG.

Among non-indies:
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Golden Sun GBA games

Spoiler:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
Years
If you mean Pixel art, there is a full plethora of games, I can suggest Blasphemous and Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, these are the two Pixel Art games I was attached to for a while, and with the Final DLC for Blasphemous just around the corner, I'll probably get sucked right back into it haha

Ah it seems like I already posted here, but I second this! Blasphemous has outstanding pixel art, definitely recommend if you're into edgy, gritty tales.
Similiary Death's Gambit.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
Years
Older games like Final Fantasy 6, Chrono Trigger and the original Trials of Mana, the GBA and DS Castlevania games look pretty nice, as well. Hyperlight Drifter has a very interesting art style. Shovel Knight and Terraria looked pretty nice, as well.

As for something with quite a bit of character: look up the two Discworld games for the ScummVM. :D
Yes, yes, yes! Someone other than me knows the GBA and DS Castlevania games exist! I think they look beautiful and I adore them so much.

Moreover, Sea of Stars is a good looking upcoming JRPG.

Among non-indies:
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Golden Sun GBA games
I jumped on this thread to mention I think Sea of Stars is the best looking pixel-based game I think I've ever played. I was constantly wowed by how good everything looked, and there were a couple points I said "Wow, this is gorgeous" and began to actually tear up?

I love the style of Minish Cap too! I always associate it with old Zelda flash games, but that's because it looked so nice and it was easy to take sprites from. It's a really nice look I think doesn't get enough attention!

Back