• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Clay versus Lenora

Who do you pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
VSClay.png
6219A.png
VSLenora.png

CLAY
Ani552MS.png
Ani536MS.png
Ani530MS.png

LENORA
Ani507MS.png
Ani505MS.png

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
Does Lenora stand a chance with her weaker levelled Pokemon - can Watchog pull it off?!
Which do you think is the better leader/role model in general?
Do you think Clay SHOULD be worried about facing Lenora?

Pick your favourite, then discuss how a battle between the two would play out!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Clay is a bad-ass cowboy. That is all.

Watchog's only chance, assuming it's leveled up like mine is, would be using Hypnosis and Super Fang followed by Crunch. And that isn't exactly a winning strategy. It works for roamers if you omit Crunch from the plan and spam Super Fang.

Cyclone

Years
I picked Clay cos he looks tougher and I love the strength that Ground-types possess.

I also love his Excadrill cos it's one of my fave Ground-type Pokemon.

I agree with Cyclone that the only good strategy Lenora would use would be Hypnosis + Super Fang + Crunch, but that would unfortunately be resisted by Excadrill not to mention Lenora's Pokemon are not as strong as Clay's.

As for the better role model, I again say Clay cos he is a miner.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Clay. Ground types are awesome and he uses a Palpitoad ♥ Plus Lenora has no chance at all against his Excadrill. Even if her Watchog leveled up it wouldn't be able to touch that beast :p But yeah I just much prefer Ground types to Normal types so I'm gonna be biased and go with Clay n.n

Mentalii

Back
Years
The weekly poll I was fearing x) They are both my least favourite gym leaders among all Pokémon games. So, at the same time, deciding who I prefer would be interesting. Well:

- I prefer Clay's team than Lenora's
- Ground's type is a great type, I don't mind the normal one.
- I don't like it, but I prefer's Lenora's design than Clay's.
- In the manga, I prefer Clay's personnality than Lenora's who seems less interesting than him.
- If there was a battle between them, Clay would obviously win I guess.

So, in overall, I actually prefer Clay.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
Years
They're both ridiculous stereo types, but since I had fat 'cowboys', I'll go for the African American lady with the apron (in the non-English games, I guess). That being said, Clay has some sick Pokémon

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Given that Clay's Pokemon are 11 levels ahead of Lenora's I went with Clay. Under normal circumstances, his Excadrill can easily wipe out Lenora's team, due to it resisting all of Lenora's offensive moves, though Hypnosis is annoying. Even if Lenora's Watchog has Low Kick, it only has base 60 power against Excadrill (technically 120 power if supereffeciveness is taken into account).

In general terms, I went with Clay because he has an Excadrill.

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
I pick Lenora, she has a cool character design and her personality is very interesting. Also, from a standpoint of who was harder, I think Lenora was more difficult for me at that point in the game, since her Watchog had Base 140 STAB powered retaliate and Hypnosis+Bite, which was really annoying and hard to beat, actually.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
As much as I would love Herdier to win, I have to say Lenora has no chance against Clay's higher-levelled and larger team. I don't think Super Fang and Hypnosis can really make up for how much her team is behind his. I think Clay makes a pretty good role model, having had nothing and now owning so much. Design-wise, I don't really like either and Pokémon wise, I like how Lenora has Herdier, but not Watchog. Clay's team is pretty neutral for me.

Pecilia

Best Witch
Years
Clay would drill through Lenora's pokemon real quick, having a higher level team and not to mention higher speed stat so the only chance Lenora has against clay is surviving a hit the retaliate spam after a super fang. That of course won't help against Clay's other pokemon.

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016
Does Lenora stand a chance with her weaker levelled Pokemon - can Watchog pull it off?!
Absolutely not. If she was actually in a fair tournament & could compete against Clay in a fair level 50 match 3v3 or so, she could give him a run for his money. But at this rate, it isn't possibly. His Excadrill is way to threatening for her party, especially since he IS Uber tier only, last I check. ;; Sorry Watchog, you must be stronger!

As a role model in general? Definitely Lenora. I rarely see anyone idolizing a Miner, via Clay. So a woman working at museum won this conversation hands down!

DEFINITELY! NEVER let your guard down, even for a second! If you do, things will take an expecting turn! You never know what your opponent has up their sleeves! Lenora can give him a run for his money, but at the same level as the gym battles in B/W are, Clay may has the upper-hand, but not a GUARANTEE victory until the last Pokemon faint.

Pick your favourite, then discuss how a battle between the two would play out!
The first two Pokemon of Clays vs Leonora would make an interesting battle, but the third Pokemon of Clay's Excadrill gives her that fierce & tough battle for Leonora! Clay would be on top, but like I said before, if the battle were even @ level 50 & 3v3, Leonora would be in a much better position!

Oh & they're both the same. I don't really like one more than the other that much tbh x)

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Nooo! imo Lenora couldn't win as of now. I never had trouble with her, really, so from my perspective, she's going to get crushed. I mean, even if she manages to defeat Clay's first two Pokemon, she wouldn't stand a chance against Excadrill, unless both her Pokemon were at like, full health, or something. It just couldn't happen. D:

Lenora was a better role model in the story, though I guess I'd never really consider any of them role models. Clay was the standard gym leader, he appears in his gym and then opens a place you need permission to enter (or need help) and then goes away iirc. He didn't do anything really significant :x

Years
I picked Clay for his team.

If it was for the character itself, I'll take aloé.

Because Excadrill is a very good pokemon. Although he has weaknesses with fire, water, fight and ground. But he can inflict some damage to the enemy team.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2020
I pick Clay, obviously because he will win, with that team and whatnot.

It can't. Clay's Excadrill does the job well.

Clay. He's just plain bossy when you meet him subsequently.

Absolute no.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Lenora is more difficult than Clay. Without Sandstorm and Earthquake, Excadrill can be taken down quickly by a Pokémon with a type advantage. In my second run, he was no match for my Stoutland. Lenora is very dangerous at the point in the game you face her, since Herdier's Take Down packs a punch and Retaliate will murder at least one of your Pokémon. And there's Watchog's Hypnosis. A Sawk might help against her, though.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Clayyy all the way! While they both have outside-of-gym roles, I find Lenora highly bland when compared to Clay. His dialogue is simply the best (after N's) and I love his character.

Years
Lenora, of course! I had so much trouble facing her the first time, she could definitely win. Not only do I like her better, but if her Watchog's hypnosis hits, she's golden. Plus, watchog can learn grass knot, as well as some fighting moves (like focus blast) and herdier can learn surf. What Lenora lacks in levels she uh makes up for in spunk? :D

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
WOW I thought I posted here. Anywaysss, Lenora because Herdier (favourite) and Clay would obv beat her, sadly. He's just too strong for her with his Excadrill and all!

Also unfortunately looks like Lenora loses. :( But ya, unstickying to make way for the next poll soon!

Back