• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Hover preview

Hallo!

When you hover over a thread you get some preview text. Once upon a time it showed you the text of the first post in the thread, but now it shows the latest reply. For me personally this is less useful than displaying the first post. It seems like the sort of thing that could only be an intentional change, so instead of suggesting it be reverted, here are a couple of other ideas:

1) Hovering over the title/author cell could show the first post, hovering over the latest reply cell could show the latest reply

or

2) If you've never viewed the thread before, hovering over the title/author cell could show the the first post, otherwise if you *have* viewed the thread before, display the latest post

It'd be a nice little usability improvement. When I'm looking for new threads to reply to I browse titles, and if a title seems interesting I hover to see what's happenin and see if I want to click into the thread to browse/reply. I'm rarely looking for a preview of the latest reply to a thread.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
As you might be aware of, in the new UI, you will see a line from the last post on the index under the thread title. I however think it would be useful if you could see a bit of the first post when you hover it though!

-GiЯ

Banned
Years
This is something VERY simple to implement, so if not implemented it was done so by developer decision. It only would require adding title="$thread[preview]" to the thread link. This would give you a preview of the first post on hover and still show the last post underneath.

Here's the snippet from threadbit:
Code:
<a title="$thread[preview]" href="showthread.php?$session[sessionurl]t=$thread[threadid]$thread[highlight]" id="thread_title_$thread[realthreadid]"<if condition="$show['gotonewpost']"> class="thread-new-posts"</if>>
  <h2 class="title">$thread[threadtitle]</h2>
</a> 
<span class='pagecount'><if condition="$thread['pagenav']">(<a href="showthread.php?$session[sessionurl]t=$thread[threadid]&page=$thread[totalpages]$thread[highlight]">$thread[totalpages] Pages</a>)</if></span>

<div class="thread-preview">
  <a href="showthread.php?$session[sessionurl]p=$thread[lastpostid]$thread[highlight]#post$thread[lastpostid]" title="This thread was last posted in by $thread[lastposter], $thread[lastpostdate]">
    <span class="preview-text">
      <span class="preview-postinfo">
        <i class="far fa-comment-lines"></i> $thread[lastposter]<span class="hidden-xs">, $thread[lastpostdate] <if condition="!$show['detailedtime']">$thread[lastposttime]</if></span>:
      </span>
      $snip <!-- var for last post preview -->
    </span>
    </a>
</div>

Back